Start by marking “A Grimm Curse (Grimm Tales #3)” as Want to Read:
A Grimm Curse (Grimm Tales #3)

A Grimm Curse

(Grimm Tales #3)

“In this form you shall remain until a princess shows no disdain.”

Long before Andi woke up in a world that was not her own, her grandmother, Cynthia was entangled in the palace’s circle of glitter and privilege. Explore the dramatic history of Elorium in this standalone prequel to the Grimm Tales series.

Lady Wellington’s obsessive quest to thrust a crown on one of her dau
Published 2015 by Patchwork Press

To ask other readers questions about A Grimm Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grimm Curse

✘Tabby✘
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, kindle, netgalley
Received from: Patchwork Press
Received Via: NetGalley.com

THE REVIEW

Why this book?
I read the other books in this series

What I thought

This was my favorite book in this series by far. I loved how it was a mixture of so many fairytales I love like Cinderella and the Frog Prince. Cynthia was a great lead character she was interesting and independent. I also loved Remi and his and Cynthia's friendship. Being a big fan of fairytale retelling's I got to say this one was pretty good. Overall an enjoyabl
Kira Simion
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A copy of A Grimm Curse was provided to me from Netgalley (thank you!) in return for honest feedback.

This was a nice cute book for the younger ones (and me).

If you want a tale of magic, mischief, and a cute relationship, you'll like this one. With a girl who is a princess on the inside, with a prince who shows that royalty isn't all in the blood, and the magic of friendship, A Grimm Curse shows the wonders of friendship in this tale.

A prince who needs someone to love him, a girl who would rat
Markéta
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like retelling stories but this one.. just didn't really do it for me.

This was a mixture of Cinderella, Rapunzel, the Frog, Jack and the Giant, Snow White.. way too many fairytales mixed together.

I haven't read the two previous stories but this is standalone (kind of) as it's describing the grandmother of the previous characters. But I didn't have any idea what is really going on, it was so filled with different aspects that my had was spinning.

I absolutely didn't get the ending. What was that
Kira Simion
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

This was a nice cute book for the younger ones (and me).

A prince who needs someone to love him, a girl who would rat
Chantal Gadoury
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This was so witty and great! The characters were developed and the world was set from the very beginning. I loved the twist of Cinderella and the Frog Prince, Cynthia and the Prince - and the Step-Family - everyone! Everything was just great! I love retellings of Fairy Tales, and different versions of stories we've all grown up with. Janna really made "A Grimm Curse" her own, and I loved every minute of it. There's mentions of other classic stories that will hold a smile on yo ...more
Tonja Drecker
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings. So when I got a chance to read a free copy in exchange for an honest review, I was more than looking forward to digging into these pages. I did not read the first two books in the series, which didn't prove to be much of a problem. In other words, this can be read as a stand alone.

This was a wonderful twist on Cinderella mixed with the Frog Prince while throwing in a dash of several other tales. I enjoyed how the story followed the original stories in seve
Eustacia Tan
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One day, I opened my email to find a review copy of A Grimm Curse by Janna Jennings. I remembered reading and enjoying the previous two books, so I was quite excited to start this one. It took some time, but I finally made time for the book!

Even though A Grimm Curse is labelled as the third book in the series, it's actually a prequel, and can more or less standalone as a story, since none of the main characters from the first two books appear here. The story follows Cynthia (you may recognise he
Hazel
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Janna Jennings’ latest book, A Grimm Curse, is set long before the previous two novellas in A Grimm Tales series. Rather than focusing on Andi, a girl from the “real” world, this is a story about the characters in the fairytales – most importantly Cynthia or, whom readers may know her better as, Cinderella.

As in the traditional tale, Cynthia works as a slave for her horrible stepmother and stepsisters – a fa
Julie
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
After following the grandchildren in A Grimm Legacy and Grimm Memories, we now get to enjoy the story of Cynthia Wellington, Andi’s grandmother. In this retelling of Cinderella, we meet a charming young woman with the same golden heart as the Disney princess, but with a good deal more spunk. Gone is the fairy godmother and the friendly mice; they are replaced by Remi, a prince turned into a frog, who strikes an amazing friendship with Cynthia... and I can almost guarantee you will fall in love w ...more
Jessica Kelley
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for my Review copy!

Check out my full review here.
A Grimm Curse is a prequel that ties into the series Grimm Tales by Janna Jennings. It's cute, original enough to be considered fresh, but stays close enough to it's Grimm roots to still be considered a solid fairy tale retelling. The story is fun, the characters are relatable, and the cover is realistic with a little hint of magic.

I have yet to read the other books in this series, so the main characters in this book, Cynthia
Crystal
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

A Grimm Curse (Grimm Tales #3) is not really the third story in the Grimm Tales series. It's a prequel for A Grimm Legacy and Grimm Memories. I very much enjoyed learning about the backstory of what got the characters to where they are today. A Grimm Curse is about Elorium and how Andi, Quinn, Fredrick, and Dylan's grandparents got to Elorium in the first place. This was a fast and easy read that was quite enjoyable. I read it cover to cover (while I should have been sleeping). I love fai
Imogene Dacanay
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
**Thank you NetGalley for the ecopy!**

“Aren’t you a little old for fairy tales?"

The author surely knows how to catch a reader, and make him/her hooked by the first line. And my answer was never, never will I ever be too old for fairy tales.

A Grimm Curse is not just a book for the young readers, but for everyone who loves to read fairy tales and its retellings.

This one is an entertaining and appreciable read! It presented the fairy tales in a foreign and enticing way. Jennings made a master p
Imogene Dacanay
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-reviewed
**Thank you Netgalley for the eARC in exchange of an honest review!**

“Aren’t you a little old for fairy tales?"

Julie Daniels
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing retelling that I thoroughly enjoyed! The author managed to combine several beloved faery tales flawlessly while having a plot of it's own that was beautifully paced. The world building and characterizations were excellent! Even the villains were great! I loved Cynthia's spunk and Remi's sense of humor. I must say that I love this even more than the original faery tales and I can't wait to read the others! I would 100% recommend!
*I was provided with a copy of this book by the publishe
Ruby
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you really like The Grimm Tales or are new to the series, this is a great place to explore the world Jennings has created (with inspiration from some famous brothers). I have come to love fairy tales and their remakes and this series is just a fun and dark addition.

Though a little confusing with the lot of mixed fairy tales, it still kept the Grimm fun and revealed some truth about a great character from the series. Andi's grandma definitely lived up to everything I thought she would be and
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:

The Grimm Curse is a spunky, fun, conglomerate twist on Grimm’s fairytales. A prequel to what I am sure must be an equally thrilling story. A quick read that will make you snort and grin with each turn of the page The Grimm Curse is adapted fairytales at its best.

Read my FULL review here: https://pooledink.wordpress.com/2015/...
Heidi Gonzalez
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review:

Blending fairy tales together in a unique and really enjoyable way, Grimms Curse is a great little book. Weaving characters from some of the most loved fairy tales together in a twisted tale with more self-confident women and princesses. Although it is the 3rd in a series I didn't feel confused or lost, it definitely can stand alone.
Heidi Stone
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written YA novel with a unique twist. I received this novel free from Netgalley and was unaware that it was a trilogy; having said that Jennings does an excellent job in giving her readers a unique stand-alone novel that allows readability while still drawing readers into reading the previous two novels.
Sam
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 quick read that explains a little about where Jack came from...and a bit more about the history of the land. I do hope there is more to come??
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell
As this was considered a prequel to the first two novellas in the series, I found it was easy to pick up as a solo piece. Or it was until they started introducing a third fairy tale into the mix. That's when this novella's plot and story begin to unravel quickly.

Before I get into all of that, let me discuss some of the good things about this novella. Considering how short it is, the pacing wasn't entirely as quick as I would have liked it, but at
A Book Addict's YA Palace
Original review posted on my blog A BOOK ADDICT'S YA PALACE
This was a good, fast read for me. I'll tell you now, I have never read any of the other books from this series before. I think that's why I was so excited to get this review copy from NetGalley.

A GRIMM CURSE by Janna Jennings was interesting, to say the lease. It's good because clearly you don't need to know anything about the rest of the series to get it. I knew this was going to be a huge mash u
Samantha
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a cute short read. I haven't read the first two in the series so it was a little bit confusing. I figured since it was a prequel it wouldn't matter that much, but it might have helped a little bit. There was a lot of different fairy tales mashed into this one story, and for the most part it fit very well. The pace was decent and the setting was great.

Throughout the entire story I felt very sorry for Cynthia and what she had to go through. Being Cinderella there was a lot of abuse as yo
Amy Lou
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Closing her eyes Cynthia breathed in the familiar hazel smell of hazel ."
I was so disappointed in this book. Honestly, the premise was interesting and the characters could have been interesting, but I didn't care very much at all about the main character and I thought that the story would have been much better served if it had followed Rapunzel instead. She was a million times more interesting and had a much better backstory.
That's really all I have to say about the story itself, but the story
Halston Seabolt
I got this novella as a review copy on Netgalley. I'm so glad I was able to read this! Since finishing the second book, I was looking forward to reading about Andie's grandmother. It gave you a chance to see what she went through at the hands of her stepmother and stepsisters. And also how she got her own little bit of revenge on Coriander (btw what kind of horrible mother names her daughter Coriander?). I was glad to see that at least Portia tried to be nice to Cynthia when she was locked in he ...more
Amanda
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
*received a copy from netgallery*

a quick and entertaining fairy tale retelling (that works quite well as a standalone even though it's part of a series). the main highlights for me were 1) the cynthia/remi friendship and 2) rapunzel!!
Jessica
Dec 16, 2015 marked it as to-read-arc-lottery
Shelves: arc, ebook, net-galley
*I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
Julie Daniels
Dec 12, 2015
Erica Crouch
Dec 14, 2015
Emma
Dec 05, 2015
Nicole
Dec 11, 2015
Janna is a Colorado based YA author who loves a good fairy tale. She’s married to her own real life Prince Charming, and will usually admit to being mom of three, including her incorrigible middle child, Benny. Besides wrangling her kids she can be found doing some therapeutic baking, dreaming of the ocean, and of course, curling up with a good book.

Grimm Tales (3 books)
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
  • Grimm Memories (Grimm Tales, #2)