Start by marking “The Haunting” as Want to Read:
The Haunting

The Haunting

(Red Eye)

Some curses grow stronger with time…
People say that all Cornish inns are haunted, but the Waterwitch’s history is particularly chilling. Built from the salvaged timber of a cursed ship, the guest house’s dark secrets go further back than anyone can remember.
Emma is permanently confined to a wheelchair after an accident at the Waterwitch which took place when she was ten. S
Published February 11th 2016 by Stripes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting, please sign up.
Lara
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kirsti The other Red Eye series novels? No, I've read a few and they all seem to be stand alone novels.

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Little Tiger Group and NetGalley.)

Unfortunately, like the previous book in this series, this one just did not hold my attention well at all. There were a couple of moments that could have been creepy (view spoiler) but overall I struggled to get through this one.

5 out of 10
Ellen Gail
Once you see the witch, there’s no going back...Once you see her face, it’s over.

Between 3 & 4 stars, but I feel like rounding up. Brings a few creeps, but no major scares, so it's perfectly fine for the YA / horror-lite crowd. Unless you're petrified of birds.*

*Birds do scare me a bit, but mostly just parrots / tropical birds. Show me a book about a killer cockatoo and I'll show you me running the fuck away.

Emma is our 17 year old protagonist. (There are several narrators, but she feels l
Kimberly
THE HAUNTING is the third book I've read by author Alex Bell. I love her smooth writing style--regardless of whether I'm in the middle of an action-packed scene, or a quiet conversation between friends, her prose propels me along effortlessly from page to page.

In this novel, Bell takes on the subjects of witches, curses, shipwrecks, and superstitions surrounding Cornish inns. The supernatural is a topic that this author tackles very well, and the fluidity of this book is a testament to that. The
Figgy
Scares were hinted at, but never really delivered. The back of this book bears a stamp that suggests this title, while shelved in the YA section, is perhaps intended for those fourteen and up, but it doesn’t read fantastically for that age group in this reviewer’s opinion.

This is around the age when most readers start to read more critically, when they are less likely to take excuses and suspend their disbelief limitlessly. This is when they begin notice an overabundance of coincidences and con
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved Frozen Charlotte last year, creepy dolls + sociopathic tendencies = my kind of book, so I was wondering how Alex Bell was going to top it. Some things in Frozen Charlotte, (the writing, the pace) stayed the same in The Haunting, whilst other components (the characters, the creepy) were different.

So, did The Haunting top Frozen Charlotte?

Short answer: Yes.
You want the long answer anyway? Yay.

The Haunting, is creepy as hell, I described Frozen Charlotte as psychologically disturbing, we
Michelle Harrison
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Alex's Bell's FROZEN CHARLOTTE, and being fascinated with all things witchy, I was keen to get my hands on this. I absolutely loved the premise of the haunted Cornish inn called the Waterwitch, built from timber salvaged from a shipwreck of the same name - it immediately set the scene for a tale of curses and ancient witchcraft and, for me, was one of the strongest aspects of the story.

The atmosphere and setting is handled extremely well, as is the build-up and uncovering the lay
Abbie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

This was another dull read in the red eye series for me unfortunately. I didn't find it very creepy, and It just couldn't hold my attention well at all. The majority of the book dragged for me because of it.

Overall, Not an enjoyable read for me unfortunately.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the library because it sounded interesting and also because I lurve YA horror. So I was really looking forward to getting stuck into it and couldn't put it down. But because I started NaNoWriMo this week, I had to and instead rewarded myself with reading a bit at the end of each day. :)

The Waterwitch inn has a dark history of ghosts, curses and witches. It was also built using the salvaged timber from the actual cursed ship with a horrifying history of betrayal, torture
Melanie
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgallery
I went into reading The Haunting by Alex Bell with a great deal of excitement. Having not long finished Frozen Charlotte which I loved I had a feeling this book would be amazing.

I will start by saying this was barely a 4 star and closer to a 3.5. It wasn't bad, in fact it was pretty good. I loved the Cornish settings, the storyline, the darkness and creepy feel the book had. I loved the characters, especially like that Emma was disabled which sounds wrong on so many levels, but meaning that it w
Tasha
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I've never read an actual horror book before - though I'm not quite sure if this one counts as 'actual horror'. It's definitely YA and while there were certain scenes that were quite creepy and left me squeamish, I'm pretty sure it was harmless.

I wasn't a big fan of the writing but I can't really explain what it was about the writing that I didn't like.
I did enjoy the multiple POVs but towards the end I felt like there was too much focus on Shell's POVs. There was a reason behind that
Anna (BooksandBookends)
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy of this book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

This book has fantastic potential but I'm just not sure it used all of the opportunities it could have done. I love the first character you are introduced to in the story, Emma. She has been called by her Grandma, who lives in Cornwall and asked to visit as her days are now numbered. Cornwall is a rather long drive for someone who is disabled and has only passed her driving test
Alison
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars but I'll round up.
I really enjoyed this story of a haunted inn. It's quite a quick read and the writing is a little on the simple side but it does what it needs to do, give you a few chills. It's probably not as good as Frozen Charlotte or Charlotte Says but still a worthwhile read.

I quite liked that there were three different points of view and it was great to have a character in a wheelchair. I think that may actually be a first for me. I'm still not convinced however that Emma brou
Donna
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading has become quite difficult for me in the past couple of years, for reasons I've yet to fathom, so I am extremely happy to report that not only was The Haunting very easy and quick to read, but thoroughly enjoyable, to boot.

This book is a perfect example of why people should not dismiss YA fiction as stuff for kids. I'm 41 years old and parts of this book had my skin crawling. I just read the last 100 odd pages in one go, and it had me pulling faces almost the entire time.

This is a book t
Breanna Wilson
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first venture into Alex Bell's writing and based on this book and the synopses, it will definitely not be my last. I didn't find this book to be scary, but it was probably one of the most gorgeously-written horror novels. Alex Bell created a creepy, ominous story that was constantly dripping with foreboding and the reader questioning what was going on, but set it in such a beautiful, haunting setting. Her descriptions of this seaside haunted inn along with the ocean and its atmospher ...more
Olivia
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book: The Haunting
Genre: Horror
Theme: Overcoming adversity
I think that this book's theme is overcoming adversity as it is all about coming to grips with the horrors of your past and other people's pasts that come to haunt you. In this book, the main characters have to sort out some pretty complicated mess left by their ancestors in an old, haunted, Cornwall inn. This once innocent authentic inn turned very quickly from a tourist attraction to a full on living nightmare, with witches, moving pic
Luna
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

The likelihood of me being creeped by any horror book is minimal but I’m an optimist and Alex Bell’s previous book for the RedEye serious, Frozen Charlotte, ticked a lot of boxes for me so I was really looking forward to this.

The Haunting has a good premise, I enjoyed that the Waterwitch had such an interesting history. Yet there was so much of it. A lot of the beginning of this book is spent setting up the story and the characters and even as the reader delves deeper into the story the
Adele Broadbent
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part of a Spooky Series called Red Eye, this was a very creepy book.

The Waterwitch Inn was built from a sunken ship with a history of terrible things happening to it, even before its maiden voyage.

When Emma returns to her home village to see her dying grandmother, she is drawn back to the closed down Waterwitch that her Gran used to own. Soon meeting her best friend Jem from her childhood, she is drawn back into his life and his worries that his sister Shell thinks she is a witch, their abusive
Pamela Scott
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The Haunting just didn’t work for me. The book has great premise and sounded like a really creepy, unsettling read. Unfortunately, the book never lives up to its potential. The book is dull most of the time and failed to hold my attention. I was bored a lot when reading it and hugely disappointed because the blurb make the book sound like a cracking read. I also had an issue with Emma’s character. She’s supposed to be 17 in the book but comes across as someone aged 10 or 11. She was much more ju ...more
Sophie Jones
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
* ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review *

The Haunting by Alex Bell centres around Emma who 7 years previously became confined to a wheelchair after an accident at the Waterwitch. Returning seven years later she uncovers the mysteries and ghosts surrounding the dark place.

Unfortunately I was not completely drawn in by this novel. I do not feel that I enjoyed the voice from which the story was told and I felt it was slightly too juvenile for my taste. Although it was not my c
Leanne Wain
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at http://mythoughtsaboutbooks.blogspot....

Firstly, I am a massive fan of the Red Eye series, and Horror generally. Though I will suggest that the thing that is *most scary* is cheap jump scares that go MLLLURH!! At you and books can’t really do that. They have to use mere words to create atmosphere and suspense, and actual craft.

So. The Haunting. Overall, I very much enjoyed it. I was compelled by it, unnerved by it. I loved the setting and the idea of a Cornish Inn built fr
Sally
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this within 24 hours.

I could not put it down. I went to bed late, got up early and snatched moments to read a chapter in between classes at school to finish it.

Alex Bell has done it again (the previous gem was Frozen Charlotte) with another exceptionally chilling novel dealing with a long suffering family curse.

I don't want to give much away, suffice to say that building a guest house out of the salvaged remains of a cursed shipwreck that saw deaths of tens of men within it's first years
Matilda Chapman
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3 and a half.

I'd been seeing the Red Eye books around at every bookstore I went to, especially after Zoella included Frozen Charlotte in her book club but it wasn't until me and my boyfriend went on holiday to Cornwall that we ended up buying a couple. I chose The Haunting (it's set in Cornwall so felt apt) and John bought Fir and Dark Room.

I was expecting something along the lines of a slightly scarier version of the Goosebumps series, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I found The Hau
Janay Brazier
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not really in to horror books or anything remotely scary but after really enjoying Frozen Charlotte and Charlotte Says I wanted to read this. Unfortunately I didn't like this anywhere near as much as the other Alex Bell books. It was gripping in places but overall it didn't measure up. I toyed between at 2-3 stars for this but went with three because I liked the pace of the story and the idea of it.
Matthew Orrell
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults
I read this book after reading a couple of other books in the Read Eye series (Frozen Charlotte and Charlotte says, both books that were also by Alex Bell). I really enjoyed reading this book (even though it wasn’t what I initially accepted). Though the book wasn’t perfect for me, I know that many people would really enjoy the book and if you have ready previous books by Alex Bell and enjoyed them, you should like this one too.
FangirlB
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parts of this book totally creeped me out and I could not stop imagining them when I went to sleep. I loved the creepy parts and quite a lot of the story but the ending just seemed rushed for me, like a I-need-to-finish-writing-this-quickly sort of type and it was not a satisfying ending to me. On the other hand I loved the part of someone pushing Emma's wheelchair through the darkness; I could imagine it so clearly that it seemed terrifying.
Shamima
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book reminds me a bit of goosebumps, quite thrilling and creepy at times, but it is lacking more of the scary horror. It feels like there were certain parts where I was thinking what is going to happen next but then I get a little bit disappointed that it doesn't follow through. But overall it was a good read.
Nat
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A decent ghost story that is let down by the fact that it repeats itself too much. We understand that two of the main characters dont believe in the supernatural but do we have to be reminded on every page! There are other things that are also repeated far too often - the glass balls and the birds spring to mind. Such a shame as the bones of the story and the characters in it are very good!
Asma
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: enjoyed
When I first started reading this book, I thought "oh, it's a paranormal, horror themed book, there's defo gonna be some romance involved in here" since that's how most books, recently, story-lines have been. But this didn't have a single bit of romance involved which was one of the reasons I enjoyed it. The second reason was that the book was well-written and the plot was well executed.
Emily Best
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the main voice was in a wheelchair with an assistance dog, whilst the other two were childhood friends. throughout the book we are wondering if it is a haunting or if shell has mental health issues. this book is fabulous! i would highly recommend.
Carley Adair
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic ,super scary book

This book was terrifying. The part about the feather in the eye turned my stomach though .Emma was brave and Shell was a bit strange which was probally to do with the curse .My favourite character was Jem.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Under My Skin
  • Looking-Glass Girl
  • Pretty Marys All in a Row
  • Pig and Pug
  • The Naida Tapes (The Dead House #1.5)
  • Violet is Blue (Hothouse #1)
Alex Bell was born in 1986. She always wanted to be a writer but had several different back-up plans to ensure she didn’t end up in the poor house first. For some years these ranged from dolphin trainer to animal shelter vet but then, at fifteen, she had an epiphany involving John and Robert Kennedy and decided to become a lawyer instead.

To that end she eagerly started a Law Degree only to find it

Red Eye (10 books)
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)
  • Sleepless (Red Eye)
  • Bad Bones (Red Eye)
  • Flesh and Blood (Red Eye)
  • Dark Room (Red Eye)
  • Fir
  • Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)
  • Savage Island (Red Eye)
  • Whiteout (RedEye)