Start by marking “The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing” as Want to Read:

Every strategy, tool, tip, and technique you need to become a millionaire rental property investor!

If you’re considering using real estate investing to build wealth or obtain financial freedom, this book is a must-read. With nearly 400 pages of in-depth advice, The Book on Rental Property Investing imparts practical and exciting strategies that investors across the world a
Published December 1st 2015 by BiggerPockets Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Book on Rental Property Investing, please sign up.
Seva Oparin I think the book is specific to US or countries with a similar state of financial and real estate markets, and also fiscal policy.

Just to compare with…more

Just to compare with Russia. Interest rates are above of ROI from property investment. So the whole idea of positive cash flow is dead there. Property taxes in Russia are as ten times _less_ than in US, so deduction trick is not so useful.

The country is in crisis about every 5 years. I didn't check it, but I hardly believe the banks will encourage you much to overleverage your portfolio. And no, no 0% downpayment.

And there are tons of another things, like local regulation, difference in risk profile, possibility of remote management, market liquidity and so on.

Read the answer as "the book is about US market".(less)

Start your review of The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing
Hussam Al Husseini
The book is amazing and the author covers exactly what the title implies. Everything!! I would recommend it without a second thought. The book can be summarized as follows:

CHAPTER 1 WHY I LOVE RENTAL PROPERTIES
8 Simple and straightfo

Devin
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Rental Properties
I've read through a few real estate books but none have come anywhere near close to this one. This is my go to guide for Rental Property Investing. It is a comprehensive guide featuring in depth discussion and clear, concise (an honest rarity for this genre) examples on searching for properties, funding them, screening tenants, managing tenants, and everything in between.
I have learned so much from biggerpockets.com (they are the real estate authority in my opinion; the Facebook of Real Estat
A.J.
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great investment for your real-estate journey. I give 5 stars!

This book highlights all the issues we face owning a rental property and surprisingly, I was able to match all the problems we ever faced owning a small multi-complex building with the ones mentioned in the book.

We never knew these were fairly common in the real-estate world and luckily, the book also guides you through solving most of these issues.

Additionally, this book is full of precious content including analyzin
Ibrahim Abouzied
"Lets go through all of the steps to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! First, go to the store and buy the ingredients. Many stores should have bread, peanut butter, and jelly, but if your store doesn't, just ask around! Many people who make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will be happy to tell you where they purchase their favorite ingredients. Next, spread the peanut butter on one slice and the jelly (some call it jam, but I prefer jelly!) on the other slice. Many potential sandwich m ...more
Maaike Hawkes
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First real estate book read, after owning a rental property

Great book. Well worth the price. I think I have been lucky so far with my rental property, but will seriously reevaluate my lease with my tenants once up. Great direction for landlord securities and I will be joining the bigger pocket forums now and listening to the podcasts.
Jess
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Audiobook review* I loved that this book was basic but in depth, perfect for beginners! The audiobook was great (Brandon was the perfect narrator) but I would like to get a hard copy in the future because there’s tons of lists, math, etc.
Nick A
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish I would have started with this book, it answered so many questions about the nuts and bolts of real estate investing. Most books I have read on the subject we're great as well, but none so far have gone as deep into the fundamentals of real estate investing. Couldn't recommend this book highly enough. Was able to get this book and the audio version off the BP website on a special promotion. Love these guys!
Aladdin
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book for the beginner. Very encouraging.
Lot’s of references to the website.
Could be condensed to half the size without the fluff, but overall, has the potential to be very useful for those looking for a real way to step into real estate investing.
Gavin Quigley
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘One of life’s most painful moments comes when we must admit that we didn’t do our homework, that we are not prepared’

Investing in real estate is something I have always wanted to do. I knew from an early age that I did not want to spend my life paying someone else’s mortgage in the form of rent, and was adamant that I could achieve more than simply finding a family home to settle down in and wait until retirement.

I am a competitive person by nature, but I get incredibly frustrated when I feel t
austin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times, and I always learn something new. This book has no motive to sell you a guru's course - it's purely educational. I would highly recommend this and other books published by BiggerPockets.com for anyone interested in learning about investing in real estate. I've built my business mostly from information I've learned from this company.
Tremayne
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great piece of rental property investment literature! I have learned so much from Brandon's wise insight into buying, managing, and selling rental properties. Brandon lays the fundamentals down and guides the reader through practically every variable a "wannabe" real estate investor may face. I am more than excited to start my real estate journey armed with the knowledge in this book. As this book quotes from Michael Jordan, "some people want it to happen. Some wish it would happen. Other ...more
Juliana
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I like a book that bends more to the practical rather than the get-rich-quick. This is practical and I'll be keeping it on my reference shelf for future reference.
Mark Donald
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reading a book on this topic. Really helpful and comprehensive introduction to the subject (as best as I can tell)... sometimes a little too much detail of specific numbers and examples but perhaps that would be helpful to look back at. Definitely a great resource to go back to in the future.
Peter Schmeltzer
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing
I thought this book was actually helpful. I would consider getting paperback for future reference.
Eric Thim
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A a really good book that helped me realize I don’t want to own a rental property right now.
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
The author's tone and writing style are insufferable. That said, this book has a lot of great information for real estate novices. I learned a lot but it was a painful read.
Timeo Williams
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, real-estate
Awesome book

Packed with info for the future real estate investor - with a focus on buy and hold real estate rentals. Great width with decent depth
Cameron
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
While I really liked the book it was very basic and for someone who has no knowledge of real estate investing especially in rental properties. There are some good extras that I picked up but for the most part its very basic. That being said I like Brandon Turner and enjoy his style of writing and talking. His podcasts are great and he gives the impression of a great person.
Jashan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noice I picked up a lot of helpful tips from this.
Marcus Craig
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book to familiarize yourself with real estate investing concepts and strategies! Will certainly refer back to parts in the future.
Joseph Puciloski
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate this book because it's realistic. It doesn't make rental property investing seem easy or a "get-rich quick" scheme. It addresses the downsides and issues you will probably run into as a real estate investor right off the bat. This was a very clear covering of the whole process of rental property investing, without going too far into the logistics and paperwork. I recommend this book to those who are interested in generating wealth through the age-old method of rental property invest ...more
Derek Eskens
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Starting real estate investors
Shelves: rei
There is really nothing negative to say about this book, so I guess I have to give it 5 stars. It's a good collection of the most important bits of information found in a lot of other resources. This seems like a great first book for someone interested in real estate investing. As you feel the need to dig deeper on a subject, find a book that specializes in that topic.

I appreciated the brevity of the book. There wasn't a lot of extra fluff. Each chapter started out with about a page or so of flu
Kevin Siedlecki
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although almost everything in this book has been discussed in podcasts, blog posts, and BiggerPockets forums, the step-by-step, practical order makes it a valuable read. For anyone completely new to real estate investing, all the information might be a little overwhelming. For an experienced investor, Turner's explanations of the minutiae of the business are clear and direct. He might just lead you to see some little thing in a new light.
Tim Jones
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I rate this book a 5 star simply because it fulfills its promise in the title. This is a very detailed book on rental property investing. Gives you good details on many topics that can later be used as reference. Not an extremely exciting book, but definitely educates readers who are planning or have invested in real estate. I would recommend this book to anyone. Not sure I would read the whole thing again, but will definitely use it as a reference if needed.
Davor
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book on rental property investing. An all-in-one one might say. Every little cog of the machine is explained and the author uses examples and real life experience. The book is not for one time use. This book is made to buy and put it on your shelf and use it periodically as a guide in rental property investing.
Recommended for everyone interested in rental property, doesn't matter if you want to be a simple small landlord or a mogul.
Mike
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting introduction to rental properties. Turner has been doing it a long time with a lot of properties so it is great having someone that likes teaching going through their personal experiences and allowing you to learn from successes and mistakes. This does lead to a lot of the story feeling anecdotal but no one can predict the market so you have to tell your own experience.
Maria
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly informative book. Recommend to anyone looking to investment in real estate or who currently owns real estate. I'm now hooked on listening to their Podcast too.
Not only did it reinforce many things I knew or was wondering, but I learned things I never knew.
I'd give it 5 STARS if I could.
Gabe Wood
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-sales
Solid book. LIke this is one of the best real estate books I've listened to. Maybe it just meshed well with the knowledge I already have and the knowledge I am lacking. but this was so great and super useful.

Notes:
How to find deals
• MLS- Must be a realtor
○ Find a great agent that is fast and motivated
○ You have to be fast for this to work
○ Find 2 bedroom homes and turn them into 3 bedroom homes
○ Make a lot of offers and fail often
○ Find old listings
○ Focus on distressed
○ Make your
Maximus
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brandon overviews the entire process of buying and managing rental properties. The gist: loan pre approval, find an investment, close on the investment, spruce up the place, find tenants, and manage the property. He offers many tips throughout the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, Revised Edition: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
  • Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat: The BRRRR Rental Property Investment Strategy Made Simple
  • How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Getting Started
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties
  • The House Hacking Strategy: How to Use Your Home to Achieve Financial Freedom
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor: Powerful Techniques Anyone Can Use to Deduct More, Invest Smarter, and Pay Far Less to the Irs!
  • The Book on Flipping Houses, Revised Edition: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
  • Retire Early With Real Estate: How Smart Investing Can Help You Escape the 9-5 Grind and Do More of What Matters
  • Building Wealth One House at a Time: Making it Big on Little Deals
  • Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition
  • Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Tax-Free Wealth: How to Build Massive Wealth by Permanently Lowering Your Taxes
  • Build A Rental Property Empire: The No-nonsense Book On Finding Deals, Financing The Right Way, And Managing Wisely
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
Brandon Turner is an author, entrepreneur, and active real estate investor with more than 500 rental units and dozens of rehabs under his belt. He is the Vice President of BiggerPockets, co-host of The BiggerPockets Podcast, and author of four books, including The Book on Rental Property Investing and How to Invest in Real Estate. Brandon has also been featured in numerous online and print publica ...more

News & Interviews

“Life itself is so extraordinary and unique that the only thing keeping people ordinary is themselves.” 3 likes
“Let me share with you one of my all-time favorite quotes. Michael Jordan (yes, that Michael Jordan) once said, “Some people want it to happen. Some wish it would happen. Others make it happen.” 2 likes