Start by marking “Storming” as Want to Read:
Storming

Storming

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
In the high-flying, heady world of 1920s aviation, brash pilot Robert “Hitch” Hitchcock’s life does a barrel roll when a young woman in an old-fashioned ball gown falls from the clouds smack in front of his biplane. As fearless as she is peculiar, Jael immediately proves she’s game for just about anything, including wing-walking in his struggling airshow. In return for her ...more
Published December 4th 2015 by PenForASword Publishing (first published November 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Storming, please sign up.
Marian Jacobs It's historical dieselpunk. Similar to steampunk.

JonathanT
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WELL THEN. That was quite the wild ride. And honestly- I loved every. Single. Second.

All of the characters are so complex, with realistic motivations. I loved how the author used backstory to shape Hitch, and I ADORED Jael. She's smart and brave and spunky but she's still feminine. IS THAT AN AMEN I HEAR.

And then, of course, there was Walter. The boy who doesn't talk- not because he can't, but because he doesn't want to. The kid with a dream who has to pretend to be brave. The little guy who n
Kate Willis
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Wowzers, wowzers, wowzers! This was really good. I loved the characters--complicated, realistic Hitch and stubborn, sweet Jael were an awesome flying duo. (I love how she scared the crazy barnstormer out of his wits every time they went up by out-crazy-ing him.) ;) I couldn't help liking Griff in spite of myself, and Walter was sweet. (And his big moment: unexpected!) Those antagonists made me hate them thoroughly. Don't ask me to pick my least favorite.

Oh, and the Berringers made me laugh! Goo
Nicole
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite frankly, one of the best books I've read in a very very long time! Just the right amount of every ingredient that should be in a story, well-developed characters that are diverse and endearing (and a few that are absolutely despicable!), and a plot that never stops, and never disappoints. I can't think of anything to say that will fully convey how excited I am about this one! Go buy your copy asap, and then hop in the front cockpit and buckle up for the flight of your life!
Well done, Weil
Schuyler
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The night I got Storming, I promised myself I would be good and get things done before I opened it. Well, I wasn't good, and the opening scene of a nighttime plane ride and a woman falling out of the sky sucked me right in to the adventure. Storming delivers the same Weiland trademark of vivid characters and masterful plotting that I've come to love and anticipate. It's a different flavor from Dreamlander--historical dieselpunk rather than fantasy--and as I've never read dieselpunk before, it to ...more
Rebekah
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A roller coaster. That's what this book was. A fascinating, exhilarating, mind-numbing roller coaster. I think I might have had heart failure a couple times in the story.
I'm really loving this author's style and way of writing. Her characters are fabulous, her plot was amazing and original, and the themes and lessons taught are so well written.
I have a couple more books by her to read and I can't wait to begin!! Highly recommend this book to all those who love action books with good lessons an
Audrey Caylin
Review to come! But basically Walter was the sweetest thing ever <3
Gabrielle
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooo-weee. That was one wild ride!
I don't read much steampunk/dieselpunk. (In fact, the only books I can recall off the top of my head that would fit either of those genres is the Matt Cruse trilogy by Kenneth Oppel.) Therefore, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to read Storming, both for its unusual genre, and also the high ratings it garnered from my Goodreads-friends.

Let's start with the characters, shall we? The characters were very well developed. Nearly all of them had complex back sto
Claire Banschbach
I really loved this book! It's got plenty of action and wonderful characters. I love Hitch and Jael and the relationship that they develop. It reminded me of The Fifth Element, which is not a bad thing at all.
I just wish we could have explored the airship a little more.

The plot was amazing and moved forward pretty steadily. It kept me reading until late in the night, which was probably not the best since I was in the middle of finals. :P

I highly recommend this book, especially if you like his
Suzannah
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
KM Weiland's eagerly awaited STORMING is in genre quite unlike both her previous full-length novels - one of them a historical romance set during the Third Crusade and the other a portal fantasy adventure. This time she heads home to her own state of Nebraska in the 1920s and mixes a charming yet irresponsible flying-ace, a mysterious gamine with cutely mangled English, and a giant airship that controls the weather into an eminently entertaining story of biplanes, adventure, and redemption.

I hav
Hope
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING.
Review to come!
R.
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, and this is why you should love it too:
Airplanes. And not just any airplane. A biplane . . . like you can walk out on its wings. #wannatrythat
A weather machine and a weapon that manufacture lightning
Earl . . . He’s my maternal grandpa through and through.
Taos. ‘Cause dogs in general
Walter (and the plot twist associated with him that was totally sobworthy)
Taos and Walter together
And Jael, a woman who is neither feminist nor prissy. She’s brave, spunky, and wonderful.
Basically you can
Luke Taylor
TAOS:

or

THE AWESOMENESS OF STORMING

With expertly plotted dominos falling from the very first word, K.M. Weiland instantly captures the uniqueness of the world she's about to throw us into at the speed of a biplane charging through the cold wind of the night with a souped up engine and a plucky pilot as bold as black coffee in the outstanding throwback action/adventure novel Storming. Memorably colorful and deeply knit-together characters captain this addictively charming page-turner with dialogue
Rebecca McNutt
This book was fantastic! I haven't read too many books in this particular genre but Storming has everything from adventure to friendship to science fiction to romance. That's not all though, the stunning way that the scenery is described throughout, along with creative characters like Jael (who reminded me of Amelia Earhart), make it even more exciting. This book takes off into the air right away from page 1 and makes itself stand out way ahead of others of its type.
m a r y l i z
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm just sitting here in a daze because wowwww this book.

The author somehow manages to combine fantastic plot, AMAZING CHARACTERS, poignant themes, great writing style, and high-flying action all in one fell swoop. LIKE SERIOUSLY. It is not often that I find a book with all of these components.

For the sake of my scattering thoughts, I'm just going to compile a list of all the brilliancy that is this book.

Things I Loved:

+ ALL THE CHARACTERS. I know I say this a lot...but characters are basica
Jane Maree
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, okay. Just...this book. I approve 10000% There is so much to love (aka, the entire thing), and just ack it's so good. *looks around for the five gajillion star rating*

The characters are the most epic creatures ever. I could probably flail over them all for hours. They have such layered personalities, backstories that just give ringing outline and depth to every word they say. And their emotions. I felt every. single. one. It hurt, but I loved it and it's just such an amazing thing. Ev
Olivia
So this is the type of fantasy I like. It's believable....wait, is that possible? But really it was. The only things I kind of raised an eyebrow about (fantasy-wise) was the making rain bit and the weird language that was spoken from Storming.

I LOVED the time setting!! Barnstorming, flying cirucus', Jenny planes, wing-walking, the prohibition, etc. Hitch and all the characters were great. Jael was so sweet, even though at first I didn't know what to think of her. Gotta love Matthew and J. W. The
Gillian Bronte Adams
True to form, K.M. Weiland delivers a romping good adventure in Storming. I’m not entirely sure when I decided that I simply had to read this novel. I think it might have been the first time I clapped eyes on the back cover copy and saw the words “aviation” and “biplane.” I’ll admit, I’m a bit of a sucker for anything to do with that. And when you add “Diespelpunk” to throw a bit of fantasyish/sci-fi flavor to the mix, well, what could be better?

K.M. Weiland excels at creating wonderfully real c
Katie  Hanna
DNF. I simply did not like/trust the protagonist enough to finish the book. I did, however, love many of the side characters (WALTER *heart eyes*) and the writing style and overall structure seemed excellently done.
Adam Collings
Hitch is an out-of-money pilot, putting on air shows, trying to make ends meet and get a place in a famous air-circus. Unfortunately, this quest has brought him back to his home-town, where many people, his closest family among them, are not likely to be happy to see him. If that wasn't enough, strange people are falling out of the sky. They have their own language and culture, and refer to the townspeople as "groundsmen". Where do they come from and what danger do they present?

Storming by K.M.
Kat Heckenbach
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first venture into a a dieselpunk novel turned out to be very much worth it. Storming is an action-packed adventure about a biplane pilot with a rocky past at the town he returns to in order to compete in a flying contest. While there, a woman literally falls from the sky--followed by the villain out to kill her and take the necklace she's keeping safe.

I really liked the main character, Hitch, who's tough on the outside but sweet on the inside. The town is filled with other colorful character
Alyssa
Dec 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
Can't wait to get a paperback copy of Storming! I loved her Portal Fantasy, Dreamlander, so I'm very much looking forward to reading this one. I also need to get on it and read Behold the Dawn and A Man Called Outlaw.
Elisabeth
I picked up this book partly because of some enthusiastic reviews I'd read, but mostly because I couldn't resist the vintage aviation element. Biplanes and barnstormers in the 1920s? Yes, please! Storming is also a taste of something a little outside my comfort zone, though, since it's not just historical fiction but partly dieselpunk—which, like the related genre steampunk, I understand involves putting imaginary ahead-of-its-time technology into a historical setting. A bit like Jules Verne aft ...more
Gabriellyn
In the high-flying, heady world of 1920's aviation, brash pilot Robert "Hitch" Hitchcock's life does a barrel roll when a young woman in an old-fashioned ball gown falls from the clouds smack in front of his biplane. As fearless as she is peculiar, Jael immediately proves she's game for just about anything, including wing-walking in his struggling airshow. In return for her help, she demands a ride back home...to the sky.

Hitch thinks she's nuts—until he steers his plane into the midst of a biza
Janet Sketchley
In 1920's Nebraska, Hitch Hitchcock makes his living as a barnstorming pilot – until a woman in a fancy ball gown falls out of the night sky in front of his plane and he gets mixed up with her – and with her enemies.

Hitch doesn't want anyone depending on him, because he's let too many people down in the past. He's back in his hometown for one week only, to compete for a chance to join a flying circus.

His encounter with the mysterious falling woman, Jael, also brings him face to face with family
Patricia
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy entretenido, con protagonistas bien desarrollados, además de creíbles, queribles y humanos. También los diferentes niveles de conflicto están muy bien planteados, con una estructura correctamente elaborada y un excelente uso del foreshadowing, haciendo que elementos y personajes secundarios que aparecen en etapas más tempranas de la historia cobren hacia el final una gran importancia. En este aspecto, nada da la sensación de estar demás en la narrativa de esta novela.

Pero siento
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-book-dump
I'm going to go out on a limb here and give a low rating to a book that has otherwise been highly rated....

K. M. Weiland definitely has some talent and it is especially seen in her character development. The characters in Storming are realistic, complex, and pretty lovable.

This book is flawed, though, and the major problem with it is the length - it needed to be cut probably by half. I got to 50% and it still felt like we'd barely taken off. Painfully slow dialog, continuous description of ever
Diane Estrella
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
With some twists and turns both in the sky and in the plot, the author amps up the excitement while Storming all the way from start to finish.

I can not imagine the hours of research the author dedicated to making this book as accurately correct as possible. The 1920 time period as well as the intricate workings of a biplane are perfectly showcased on every page. As a reader, I had an exact feel for the place and the people in the most realistic way possible. Then the author throws in a sci-fi, s
Olivia
Full review here: http://oliviasinkspots.blogspot.com/2...

This is my first K.M. Weiland read, and I really enjoyed it. The characters were all loveable in their own way, and I really liked Jael's accent, and how it read. The setting and worldbuilding was fun to explore, too, with an airship colony and the inner workings.

What was interesting was how every time I thought the story could have ended soon, I'd see the remaining percentage of the ebook and I still had lots more to go. It didn't make m
Cady Mandolin Courtright
For more reviews, check out thebookmedic.com/blog

I finished it one day ahead of schedule, on January 6th, because I started that night (with 150 more pages to read in two days) and I just could not put it down. Once it was over I found myself wide-eyed and confused in my bed, with a finished book in my hands, at nearly two in the morning. It was that good. So! Here goes.

Let me repeat: this book was really, really good. And I wasn't expecting it. That sounds mean, but I read Weiland's book Dreaml
Grace
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Engaging characters, mysterious clues, and just enough unexpected "high-tech" stuff to make it a mild dieselpunk story. If you like historical adventure stories, give this one a try.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #2 Storming by K.M. Weiland 1 4 Jan 07, 2016 08:38PM
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • Elias and The Legend of Sirok
  • Thy Kingdom Come (The Navitas Epidemic, #1)
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • Free-Wrench (Free-Wrench, #1)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Rings of Anubis (A Folley & Mallory Adventure, #1)
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Writing Genre Fiction: Creating Imaginary Worlds: The 12 Rules
  • Obsidian Eyes
  • Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)
  • Tales of the Dim Knight
  • Hive Monkey (Ack-Ack Macaque, #2)
  • Out of This World
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include
More about K.M. Weiland

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“What I’ve learned over the years is that the folks telling you to trust them are usually the last people who deserve it.” 3 likes
“What he should do was punch himself in his own face.” 2 likes