Start by marking “Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)

Bloodlines

(Bloodlines #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  154,858 ratings  ·  7,982 reviews
Sydney belongs to a secret group who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the world of humans and vampires.

But when Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, she fears she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with vampire Rose Hathaway.

What unfolds is far worse. The sister of Moroi queen Lissa Dragomir is in mortal danger, and goes into hiding.
Audible Audio
Published November 8th 2013 by Penguin Audio (first published August 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodlines, please sign up.
Alexandra Bayer No, there is only one cover. I'd still suggest reading it, however, because it's a great series. If you want to avoid the cover, however, you could…moreNo, there is only one cover. I'd still suggest reading it, however, because it's a great series. If you want to avoid the cover, however, you could get it as an ebook or audiobook. Or, if you really want a physical copy, just do the old different-cover-over-this-book trick.(less)

Saniya
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires

My reaction after reading this book.

I have this shock-type face right now, which I usually get when I read a disappointing or a really good book. I don't even know if I am disappointed or happy...

I was so excited for this book. I was screaming with happiness when I got it read it. But Bloodlines was so NOT what I was expecting. I thought it would be an action filled story with awesome characters and some romance here and there. But what did I get after reading this book? NOTHING. Yes, people who
Zoë
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT! This was the perfect book for me to finally shake off the rest of the reading slumpy feelings that were hanging around. I was surprisingly happy with Sydney's character and I love her banter with Adrian! I can't wait to see where this series is going to go and I need the next book pronto.
Definitely recommend if you enjoyed the Vampire Academy series!
~Poppy~
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?"
That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?"
"The color," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They're beautiful. You're beautiful.”

“The greatest changes in history have come when people were able to shake off what others told them to do.”

I love this series! I love this book! Even though ther
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
118 days, 30 hours, and counting...

IT HAS A COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is Adrian better be in this series, and he better find someone to love him, or else I'm going to have to jump into the book and make him mine.

Update: According to Mead's blog:

Bloodlines is the spin-off series to Vampire Academy (it's the name of the first book and of the series). It's set in the VA world but will be about different characters: Sydney (our narrator), Jill, Eddie, and one of the love interests from
Wendy Darling
2.5 out of 5 stars Here's why I normally love Richelle Mead. Her books always contain:

* Strong, kick-ass heroines
* Fun action sequences
* Completely immersive urban fantasy
* Snarky humor
* Strong emotional story arcs
* Cute, cute boys.

Always, that is, except in the case of her most recent book, Bloodlines, a new spin-off series from her Vampire Academy books. I've read all thirteen of the author's previous novels, including her adult urban fantasy series Dark Swan and Georgina Kincaid, and I'
Marina
Adrian Ivashkov.

“They’re waiting for you. Go on in.” Adrian leaned close to Keith’s ear and spoke in an ominous voice. “If.You.Dare.” He poked Keith’s shoulder and gave a "Muhahaha” kind of monster laugh.”

“Yeah? Can you draw a skeleton riding a motorcycle with flames coming out of it? And I want a pirate hat on the skeleton. And a parrot on his shoulder. A skeleton parrot. Or maybe a ninja skeleton parrot? No, that would be overkill. But it'd be cool if the biker skeleton could be shootin
Arlene
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - ARC Tour Alexa
Whack! Pow! Holy alchemist! Punch in the face Batman! What a beginning and what an ending to a series kickoff that I just know is going to be a helluva ride. Team Adrian fans get ready because what you didn’t get in Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead delivers ten-fold in Bloodlines. Our favorite Moroi is back with a vengeance and fully loaded with squee-worthy moments. Can’t wait for more!

Yes, it’s no surprise I’m Team Adrian, and I have been ever since Dimitri uttered in Spirit Bound those sucktast
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Naomi 🐨

It was a likable enough read especially with that twist in the ending. I just thought it was a bit too long or perhaps it just felt that way. My own fault, I guess, because I read it without reading Vampire Academy series and because of my own human flaw, reading stuff I shouldn’t be reading yet, I had to pause several times to Google characters’ backgrounds, terminologies and so on. That reduced my total enjoyment of the book, of course- that and the fact that I’m not really a huge fan of vampi
Jillian -always aspiring-
The short of it: I'm going to offer the unpopular opinion here and say that I enjoyed this book more than some of the VA books (and this is coming from someone who gave all the books three to four stars each). I love Sydney, Adrian, Jill, and Eddie, and I love the chance to learn more about the Alchemists.
Μaria Vrisanaki
Έχοντας λατρέψει τη σειρά va, φυσικά και θα συνέχιζα με τα bloodlines!
Πολύ καλή συνέχεια, Όχι στο επίπεδο του va βέβαια, Αλλά δεν είχα τέτοια απαίτηση μιας και εδώ η πρωταγωνίστρια δεν είναι η Ροουζ. Παρόλα αυτά η Σίντνεϊ είναι πολύ συμπαθητική

Η σειρά βαδίζει στα χνάρια του va. Έχει ήρωες που γνωρίσαμε εκεί και τώρα τους βλέπουμε να χαράζουν δική τους πορεία. Είχα αγαπήσει τον 'Εντι από το τρίτο βιβλίο του va αλλά τώρα τον λατρεύω.
Δεν χρειάζεται φυσικά να μιλήσω για τον Άντριαν.

Η ιστορία, αν κα
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Pearl Angeli
Richelle Mead does not disappoint! I've proven it in her Vampire Academy series, and yet again, she proves her excellence in this book. Bloodlines is another masterpiece I have unraveled from this author!

Bloodlines is a spin-off of the Vampire Academy series. The first installment of Bloodlines series, this book introduces us to another adventure of a lifetime. In this book, the story takes place soon after the events of Last Sacrifice (the last sequel of Vampire Academy). But in this book, we g
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - I knew that I would love this book! The Vampire Academy series definitely makes my top 10 favorite list, so naturally I was excited to read on! I wasn't that happy to hear that it would follow Sydney though. Rose was mentioned in the very beginning, but it was very brief. Truthfully, the reason why this wasn't a perfect five star book for me was because I did find parts of this a TAD slower than the VA series. But it definitely wasn't bad and I was interested ALMOST the whole time. I ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I do not relish, nor have I ever relished writing negative reviews. I would like to be able to say that Bloodlines exceeded my very high expectations. I would love nothing more than to write a glowing review for it. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. My love for the Vampire Academy series is the sole reason why I haven't abandoned this book after about 40%.

Let’s start with the most obvious reason: the narrator. When it was announced that Richelle Mead chose Sydney as the viewpoint charac
Steph Sinclair
Up until around page 320 I was resigned with giving this book 2 stars, but thanks to a well placed plot twist, Bloodlines gets and upgrade to 3 stars.

I think it's important to point out I am a fan of Richelle Mead's work. I really enjoyed the Vampire Academy series (even with the second half less than stellar) and equally enjoyed the Succubus series. I enjoy Mead's witty writing style. It's both entertaining and down right hilarious at times.

However, with the exception of Last Sacrifice, I usu
Cait • A Page with a View
Was I supposed to read the Vampire Academy series before this? Because I had no idea what was happening for the first bit of this book and had to keep checking to confirm it was the start of this series. It felt like I was missing crucial worldbuilding or some kind of insider info. Without knowing that stuff, the characters seemed flat & the plot was super cliche angsty YA. I just didn't really care.

UPDATE: I'll read Vampire Academy then - thank you everyone!
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

I liked the Vampire Academy series. It was entertaining enough, but I never felt that reading it was a top priority. For some reason, though, I REALLY wanted to read Bloodlines. I was way more excited for it than Last Sacrifice. I think knowing that Sydney, a human and an Alchemist, would be the main character made it sound very interesting to me. I liked Sydney from the VA series, and I wondered how different her story and her character would b
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Caution: a lot of bitchiness will be used in this review. Fangirls beware!

I have to admit that I didn’t start this with a smile on my face. My first thought when I saw this spinoff start was "But why?"

I have a problem with authors (and not only) milking their products too much. That was exactly my impression when I saw this book. But then I said “Hey, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe this will be the start of something beautiful.” Broken dreams…
”A picture is worth a thousand words”

This is why my review
Limonessa
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: STRONG lovers of Vampire Academy
Today I'd like to hone some of my (poor) mathematical skills and entertain you with some simple but self-explaining equations:

Bloodlines: Richelle Mead= x: Cassandra Clare

Hint: Spin-offs? Bad idea. You either planned them from the very beginning or anybody in this solar system can see that you're clutching at straws here.

Lissa : Rose = Adrian : x

Hint: Spirit users have a most peculiar ability. If you're familiar with Aladdin like I am, you'll know it's one of the wishes that the genie cannot
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
SYDNEY SAGE MY LOVE
I need to read this NOW
hayden
This is gonna be in third person . . . *forehead slap*
C'mon, Richelle. You're not meant for third person. We found that out in KISSES FROM HELL.

EDIT 5-16-11

YOU NEED TO COME OUT TOMORROW. What if Judgement Day on Sunday strikes me down and I die not knowing what happened to Sydney? (*knock on wood*)

EDIT 8.25.11

It's coming today!, Oh, golly, IT'S COMING TODAY!
IN THREE HOURS!
description

Hopefully I don't fall out of love with Mead and become like these:

ED
Anja
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75 STARS*

I was pretty sure I was going to love this book! Sadly, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because it's been a few years since I read the Vampire Acadamy series so I didn't remember a lot and it took me a while to get back into this world, I don't know.
To me, all the events seemed kind of predictable, From the start, I didn't trust Keith and Lee and I kne
Natasha Polis
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so nice being back in the world Richelle Mead created! I'm really enjoying Sydney, and of course Adrian with all his hilarious lines. This book was pretty predictable but super fun, a lot like Vampire Academy, so I'm going straight into Golden Lily!
Laz
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire addicts
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try.”

I enjoyed this immensely and I must admit I'm surprised I did love it. It's been more than a year and a half since I've read the 'Vampire Academy' series and I had been delaying reading 'Bloodlines' because I thought it wouldn't meet the standards I had set after the last 'Vampire Academy' installment.

I must admit I had forgotten how fun this world was. I
Michelle Rowen
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler-free review!

There's one really bad thing about getting to read an ARC three months before the release date -- especially with the ending that Bloodlines has -- and that's that I have to wait THAT much longer for the next book in the series.

I consider myself kind of an authority on the original series after being given the chance to reread them to put together Vampire Academy: The Ultimate Guide (out November 15th! Pre-order now!) so the thought of shifting things up after six books made
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Why people are blabbering and rating this book without even reading it is beyond me. Lack of common sense, I think yes.

You all remember Sydney don't you? One of the least memorable characters from the VA series. Yup, that's our protagonist, the joy!

It never really stood a chance.

Sure in typical Richelle Mead fashion the book is fast paced, engrossing and heck of a page turner. There are those moments that have your heart racing, mentions of Strigoi that have you on edge. Things that only VA ca
Liz
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian.Adrian.Adrian...

ahahahahaha sorry, I needed to fangirl a bit...

Awesome plot. Finally an Alchemist as a protagonist!
It was exciting to read how it goes on! Rose appears, fabulous as always, Eddie and Jill and Adrian finally get a chance to show who they are and...this book is just WOW!

After the story with Rose Adrian is broken. He has mixed feelings and this is pretty obvious. On the one hand, he somehow hates her, on the other hand, he still loves her. Nevertheless, he gets a distraction
♛ Garima ♛

Before reading:

After finishing 'Last sacrifice' I thought I'm missing something. So many loose ends and then I noticed this, just now and I couldn't not read it!

After reading:

I finished VA – the entire series couple of days ago and even though the ending was satisfying, there are few questions left unanswered. I thought it would be okay but when I realized RM has written entire series that is rather spin off of VA, I simply could not resist it.

I had hard time connecting with Rose in VA because
Mikaela
The one qualm I had about this book? The last line. "Dimitri Belikov had arrived" should have been "Dimitri Belikov had arrived BABY! Hellllllllllls to the yeah"

But aside from that... I really did enjoy it. I love Adrian and Sydney as a couple- there's just that spark between them that was missing with Adrian and Rose and it makes me feel like I can finally appreciate Adrian as his own character without the shadow of Rose and (in particular) Dimitri.

Saying all this, something about this book
Megan
Have you ever taken a look at the sheer number of books Richelle Mead has produced since first being published in 2007? In case you haven't, the number is seventeen. Seventeen books in the past five years! And that count doesn't include shorts she has written for anthologies. My point is simply that I believe this author, who has an amazing talent for creating unique, believable characters and awesome dialogue has spread herself a little thin.

Bloodlines should have been a fun supplement to the
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles, #4)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Night School (Blood Coven Vampire, #5)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f

Bloodlines (6 books)
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." (Adrian)” 1743 likes
“My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?"

That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?"

1194 likes