Start by marking “Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 12 Powerful Tools for Leadership, Coaching, and Life” as Want to Read:

NEW EDITION, EXPANDED AND UPDATED
Great Results Begin with Great Questions
In this new expanded edition of her classic international bestseller, Marilee Adams shows how the kinds of questions we ask shape our thinking and can be the root cause of many personal and organizational problems. She uses a highly instructive and entertaining story to show how to quickly recognize
Published January 11th 2016 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Questions, Change Your Life

Viet Hung Nguyen
Effective, yet simple, framework

Love to start practising this. Will see how meditation can help with the self observer part as well. Coaches, you should read.
Bob
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Summary: Builds on the insight that the kinds of questions we ask shape our actions, and focuses on learning to ask "learner" rather than "judger" questions.

Marilee Adams proposes that the kinds of questions we ask of ourselves and of others, whether they be spouses, work colleagues, or coachees, profoundly shape our actions and our lives. She calls this Question Thinking. She proposes that we choose between two types of paths, two types of questions: the Judger path and the Learner path. For ex
Elizabeth Schlatter
Very accessible (veering on cheesy) way to manage and change your mindset from judger to learner. The beginning of the book is a bit confusing -- it's written by Marilee Adams, but the bulk of the book is a tale about a guy who learns and applies Adams' questioning technique. For some reason that sort of threw me off. But when I figured that out it was all fine and the ideas are very applicable for work as well as elsewhere. Adams essentially helps you use mindfulness (although I don't think she ...more
Carly
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, business
This book is awesome. There is nothing earth-shattering in here that hasn't been covered in a million self-help books - the basic premise that we always have a choice as to how we react to something, either positively or negatively - but she makes it real for the business world. In the story of Ben, she asks all the questions to I found myself asking, as a leader in a large organization, to validate this method would work in the workplace. We tend to operate under the false assumptions that lead ...more
Ned
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is organized as a story and teaches the importance of asking questions to uncover and challenge the inner assumptions we all have. It illustrates that the judge mindset doesn't yield beneficial results so we need to switch to learning and then breakthrough happen. The upper hand in any argument is with the person that is in the learner mindset and ask question. Overall if you like getting some lessons in a story form it is a good book, otherwise the essence could be summarized in a shor ...more
Sokry Boramy
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t you believe that your brain functionality is created to believe what you want to believe? To think what you want to think in order to find solution? For example in calculus class where you are told about a theorem and you solved a problem using that theorem coz you believed it at least true for that moment of solving and you then asked your brain to think of its way. Similarly, to life problem, ask right question is a start of every solving problem...
Susan
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this more. I wanted it to be more enlightening. Maybe it hit too close to home or maybe it was just a bit too elementary for my taste. There are a few good mental tricks for changing your mindset when approaching problems, but it could have been boiled down way sooner and way easier.
Kay Hempsall
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really practical and helpful book

Every situation presents opportunities to learn and grow - we get stuck when we fixate on one perspective - this book provides a set of questions to help find greater balance and peace of mind through finding better ways to think about what is happening.
Beverly Rouse
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for everyone. How you look at situations in your life and how you ask questions shape relationships. If you want a different result, consider the question. I love how Marilee Adams challenges our "judging"
Hannah Dawson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Question thinking is something that I’ve used while reading this book to improve personal relationships. This book was easy to read and has life changing content. The choice map now hangs in my home office and I hope to reference it more often as conflict arises.
Michael
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A great book! It is consistent with other books I’ve read about helping us to re-engage the prefrontal cortex to help us think more rationally and regain our agency. But I like the approach of looking at the questions we ask. The Choice Map has been a helpful tool.
Marcos Barros
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best way to direct your decision making

Being a big fan of using questions to clarify and guide your thinking process, I was delighted and touched by the clarity and easiness of storytelling style of this book. I loved every bit of it and read it in a day.
Danny T
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful and enlightening

I bought this book to help me with coaching, but I gained so much more. As a leader, as a coach, as a husband this book has given me practical tools to improve my communication in all areas of my life
Lara Payne
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the information that I gained through reading this book. Found myself using these new skills even before I had finished reading the book.
Amy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it but it’s not a great book for audible. You want to have the printouts in front of you or access to the websites. Lot of repetition too.
Michelle Pease
Just ok

Good concept but painful delivery. The story telling felt exaggerated and contrived. Was difficult to stay focused. I would not recommend to a friend.
Vivian Nguyen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a book about asking questions of yourself to keep you mindful, focused, and stay away from negative self-talk and/or making rushed decisions that can be detrimental to you.
Pap Lőrinc
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Am I Ben?
Maya
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book fundamentally changed how I approach my professional life. I honestly have given it to all my friends and several peers.
Tamara
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a great book to change your mindset. The beginning was self complimenting on the past edition & how amazing this book changed lives. Then goes on to focus on one man & how stubborn he is. Personally it's irritating but I got the point. Mainly self reflection, & treating ppl as human beings rather than numbers. It's okay, but I would start with the first edition.
Alex
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has good reviews, she was mentioned very positively in another book I liked and also introduction is written by Marshall Goldsmith, which kind of suggests that he also likes it. But after reading I have mixed feelings. It's a business novel and as usually happens with such books the story is overly simplified, characters are flat and dialogues look like one person talking to himself and constantly cheering up for being such a quick learner. Just look

“That’s why you say we’re all recov
Christophe Addinquy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
Questioning is a tool at the very core of the coach work. But how to use it ? What kind of questions for what outcome ? To master this crafts requires skills, light touch and experience. It doesn't comes easily. In this bool; Marilee Adams shows us the "question thinking", a framework to structure and orient our questioning strategy
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Moses
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I like the idea of changing from a judgemental person to a learner person.
Barbara
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Meh... had to read this for work, and can't say I found it overly interesting or helpful. The concept of changing your questions is good, but that seems like common sense for anyone who has ever been to therapy or tried to improve themselves. At least this was told in a way to be interesting for what it was... told as a story vice just talking about the concept itself.
Wanda Gibbons
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
An inspiring read. Might have been better for me as a book study where the group worked on the ideas and discussed them. Suggested by Jennifer East Meets West. Good ideas that I remembered much longer than some others.
Tracy
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great. Practical. Not only for day to day interactions but also within classroom setting with students
Danny
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, business
Interesting

I could have done without the story section but the workbook and concepts were great. I have started a list of questions to refer to when processing.
Gabriel Franco
May 26, 2017
Carolyn Fowler
Dec 02, 2017
Deeksha
May 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Faith of Leap: Embracing a Theology of Risk, Adventure & Courage
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • Growing Yourself Up: How to Bring Your Best to All of Life's Relationships
  • On the Verge: A Journey Into the Apostolic Future of the Church
  • Humble Consulting: How to Provide Real Help Faster
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • The Autobiography of God
  • More Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
  • I Wish He Had Come with Instructions
  • Radical Collaboration: Five Essential Skills to Overcome Defensiveness and Build Successful Relationships
  • What about Love?: Reminders for Being Loving
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Your Meaning
  • Be the Best Bad Presenter Ever: Break the Rules, Make Mistakes, and Win Them Over
  • Nothin' But Good Times Ahead
  • Heaven Is Now: Awakening Your Five Spiritual Senses to the Wonders of Grace
  • A Field Guide To Now: Notes on Mindfulness and Life In The Present Tense
  • Anxiety and Panic Attacks: Their Cause and Cure (The Five Point Life P
Marilee Adams, Ph.D., is an author, executive coach, facilitator, and professional speaker. She is president and founder of the Inquiry Institute, a consulting, coaching, and educational organization and the originator of the QUESTION THINKING™ methodologies.

Marilee is the author of Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 12 Powerful Tools for Leadership, Coaching and Life, 3rd edition, a best-se
“Blame keeps us stuck in the past. Responsibility paves the path for a better future. Blame” 1 likes
“Maybe an example Joseph gave us would make this clearer. It had to do with a study that was done with two comparable basketball teams. Team A was coached with an emphasis on preventing mistakes on the court. Day after day, they reviewed videos that focused on their errors. Those mistakes got grooved in their brains. By contrast, Team B was coached with an emphasis on building on their successes. Day after day, they reviewed videos that focused on their most successful plays. So Team B’s successes got grooved in their brains. “To put it simply, Team A focused on what was wrong. Team B focused on what was right. I’m sure you can guess which team had the greatest improvement by the end of the season.” 1 likes