Start by marking “Sin City: mataria por ella (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Sin City: mataria por ella (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Spanish Edition)

Sin City: mataria por ella (Sin City #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  24,620 Ratings  ·  408 Reviews
The story of Dwight McCarthy, a clean-living photographer who tries to avoid trouble because he knows what he's capable of. His tactics don't do him much good when a girl from his past shows up and professes her love for him. When he finds out she's in way over her head, it looks as though trouble has found him. A Dame to Kill For (mataria por ella) won a 1995 Eisner Award ...more
Published December 25th 2005 by Public Square Books (first published November 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sin City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City

Matthew
The second volume of Sin City continues the the same vein as the first. Dark violence and blood shed. Sexual deviance and twisted characters. Deception and corruption. I could go on and on . . .

My thoughts on this volume are a bit different simply because the first volume and first movie have many similarities - and I have seen the first movie several times. While the second volume is supposed to be the same story as was depicted in the second movie, I have not seen it yet. Therefore, I had no
Algernon
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, comics

Ava.
You got me good, Babe. Just when I was pulling it back together you come along and rip my heart out one more time. Only this time you crossed a final, fatal line. You tricked me into doing something there's no coming back from. You've damned my soul to hell.

dame

In the first Sin City album, bruiser Marv got into a war with society over the killing of his one night stand. This time, scandal photographer and freelance investigator Dwight puts his own neck in the noose over an old flame of his. Av
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I thought it would be fun in anticipation for the new Sin City movie A Dame to kill for to read the comic that the movie is based upon. I loved the first movie (Actually bought it today and will try to re-watch it again soon) and I hope that the sequel will be just as good.

Anyway the story in Sin City: A Dame to kill for is quite simple: Dwight is working as a photographer taking pictures of men having affairs with women. He gets contacted after a job by his old flame Ava Lord and she is the dam
Sam Quixote
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to give a summary of the story without making it sound cheesy and stereotypical with far too much macho action, because the book, and series even, is all of those things but manages to be so much better than all of that. A sleazy photographer takes pictures of an extra-marital affair with which he plans to blackmail the man with - this is our hero. Then the noir element kicks in - the femme fatale enters the bar in a haze of smoke and shadows. She's in trouble, and the photographer cal ...more
Carmen
Aug 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
WARNING: MILD SPOILERS. STRONG LANGUAGE.

I don't like Dwight. And that's unfortunate, seeing as he's the main character. He looks down on other people. I also don't like the way he treats Marv or the way he talks about Marv. He also makes incredibly stupid decisions.

This book is actually a great portrait and portrayal of addiction. Dwight is an addict. He has completely given up alcohol, drugs, and killing. Because he thinks he's a monster. He's sure that any little thing... speeding, having a d
Jonathan

Not quite as good as the first one, but still damn good.

James DeSantis
Man I think more woman in this series are portrayed as prostitutes than not lol.

So this is about a new guy in the sin city universe called Dwight and he, just like Marv, aren't very good people. However, when a old lover comes to visit Dwight telling him terrible things are happening to her he decides to help her despite knowing better. IN doing so the twist and turns the characters make ends up in a bloody hell of a time.

Good: I enjoyed Dwight as a character, foolish but not completely dumb.
Mizuki
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Sin City: A Dame To Kill For the comic with its killer artwork, the gloomy smokey crime-noir atmosphere, the style, the character design, the no-nonsense dialogues. So I checked out the movie trailer for the movie adaptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvAvE...

But......damn...what the hell had I just watched!? The soundtrack is TERRIBLE, the visual is quite DULL comparing with Sin City 1, even with Eva Green as the beautiful, seductive femme fatale, this movie still looks kind
Foad
دومین کمیک از سری "شهر گناه" از فرانک میلر افسانه ای!
ساختار همه ی کمیک های این مجموعه، کمابیش ساختار فیلم های نوآره: ژانر کارآگاهی، با فضایی تیره، قهرمانی تنها با اصول اخلاقی خاکستری و عنصر بسیار مهم: زن زیبای اغواگر یا فِم فَتَل.
femme fatale

این کمیک، نسبت به کمیک قبلی (خداحافظی سخت) خیلی افت داشت. شخصیت قهرمان به اندازه ی قهرمان کمیک قبلی جذاب نبود، هر چند ضد قهرمان به نظرم از ضد قهرمان کمیک قبلی بهتر و هیجان انگیزتر بود.
مشکل بزرگ کمیک، این بود که بیشتر صحنه ها، به جای این که ضمن نقاشی ها نشون
Stuart
Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For: The ultimate femme fatale
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Frank Miller’s SIN CITY series is famous for its hard-boiled crime noir stories, characters and black-and-white artwork. In the second volume, A Dame To Kill For , Miller gleefully tackles that most classic of noir tropes, the seductive and deadly femme fatale. Ava is her name, and when she beckons, men cannot resist. Our lead this time is Dwight McCarthy, a photographer who is trying to live a
Dave
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you have seen the Sin City movie, then you have a pretty good idea of what A Dame to Kill For is all about. It's based very closely on the story told here. The Sin City books are known for their stark black and white illustrations, the well-developed plot-lines, and the swagger of noir. This one explores the idea of a femme fatale, Ava.
abatage
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It seems that Sin City is populated by noir stereotypes. All the men are plagued with aggression and will do anything for a dame, while all the women are calculating and trade sex for favours. With this in mind, I like to think that everyone who reads these books can have a laugh and consider how hyper-real Sin City actually is - the notion that the clear male/female dichotomy is something to be learned, might be a frightening one.

However, when viewed as the stylised hyper-reality that it is, Si
Marissa
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, crime
The Sin City movie is literally the only film in the huge mass of comic book movies that have been made lately that is an improvement on the graphic novels. I enjoy Frank Miller's signature art style, all the black drips and angles, but his writing is just terrible. Lines that were charmingly campy and over-the-top in the movie, are juvenile and awkward in print.
Joseph Inzirillo
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dwight has an interesting story. I like how Miller overlaps this with Marv. Little scenes here and there that show the back story of the big guy. Miller's noir storytelling is amazing.
Karla
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con respecto a la historia, me gusto mucho más éste que el anterior: no obstante, fue bastante más lento que el vol 1.
Felisberto
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Se você não me puder amar… Então me odeie! Se não pode me perdoar… Me castigue!” (Sin City #2, pp. 63)

Resumidamente um dos valores cultivados em Sin City! Esta cidade é mais uma vez o panorama que não dá tréguas e paz aos seus cidadãos. Mais uma dose muito bem conseguida de desespero, vingança, violência e, claro, uma boa dose de amor que serve de mote para a narrativa. É assim a vida em Sin City, não se escolhe: ou se morre assassinado ou vive-se assassinando. É a cidade em que o amor à própri
رؤيا شعبان

و البطل التاني كان موجود ف خلفية القصة الاولا
و البطل الاول كان موجود ف خلفيه القصة التانية

بداءت اشعر بالحماس
Димитър Цолов
История, стара като света - красива фатална жена и влюбени до оглупяване мъже... Илюстрациите на Франк Милър са все така брутално добри - познатата черно-бяла визия, игра със светлосенки и едва загатнати силуети, оставящи доста на въображението, скрити образи в привидно хаотично наложени щрихи... Мярна се и любимият грубиян Марв от първия епизод, колкото да направи връзка между двете сюжетни линии, какво повече може да иска човек!
Dan
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just like the movie....so beautiful, so intense and so good. Frank Miller is the man.
Julio Bonilla
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If a woman wants something, she will manipulate men to get what she wants. Love corrupts men! This sequel is definitely better than the original, not to mention, reminiscent of my late teenage years of going back to a strip club. Fresh air is the cure! Wu Xia
Rob McMonigal
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The end of my review for Volume 1 was "It's great stuff, I hope the rest is even close to being this good." Fortunately, I was not a bit disappointed.

This time around, we follow Dwight, a man who had a great fall and has tried to live a better life, albeit one that still deals in the smut and dirty-dealing of life in Sin City and its environs. When a woman from his past comes back with one hell of a sob story, will he stay strong? Or fall right back into the abyss he thought he'd managed to craw
Celine
Summary: Dwight holds a tight control over his inner monster - he doesn't drink, plays by the rules and stays out of trouble. But then Ava comes back into his life, a woman that broke his heart. When she tells him she's in danger, his control starts to slip.

What I liked:
- There were some nice twists in the story that I didn't see coming
- The art sometimes has a kind of cut-out quality that looks pretty awesome; though everything is done in black and white there is still plenty of detailing
- A Da
Katherine
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This chapter was a glorious manifesto of manipulation, sacrifice, sex and violence.

Eva is pure evil - I dont think she even has a soul. Like a siren she draws men in and then controls them like toys. Theyll steal, lie, cheat, kill and die for her even though they know they mean nothing to her. The contrast between the purity the name "Eva" symbolizes and the malice of her as a character was brilliant.

I loved watching the main character struggle with him self in his quest for inner freedom. He
Lindsay
Jun 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic novel lovers, Frank Miller fans, film noir fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story is convoluted and ridiculous, and all of the female characters are prostitutes or otherwise loose women. Can Frank Miller give us one fully clothed woman? How about one woman who isn't a nymphomaniac? Or one woman who isn't evil?
I think Frank Miller hates women. Hate may be too strong a word here; he has issues with women. I can't relate to any of the characters - male or female - in his work.
Andy
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: storyboard
Shelves: comix-novel
Frank Miller may be the ultimate storyboard artist. His comics are stark black and white sketches with little dialogue involved. The plot is laid out like a basic outline and there’s nothing wrong with that, but by no means does he deserve the genius tag some people give him.
“A Dame To Kill For” is a pretty cool drink of noir erotica, but it’s pretty stark stuff and not too deep. Not bad, but nothing that’ll frighten the horses..
Cyndi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revenge is revealing, painful and thoroughly satisfying.
Hannah Garden
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is just like my life. Cats, sandwiches, murder, treachery . . . the bathtub . . . yeah. I can really identify.
Chaitra
Pains me to give it this rating, but Dwight and Ava are just not interesting. If Dwight was going to be a sucker, he deserved whatever he got. I didn't care one bit for his internal monologue and I didn't get Ava's appeal, even with the barely there stuff she wore when she was wearing anything at all. So yeah, miss.

(The artwork is stunning, but I was so annoyed with everything around it.)
Hammaad Ansari
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bloody, gritty, classic Frank Miller
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2
  • Dropsie Avenue: The Neighborhood
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller

Sin City (7 books)
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)
  • Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Sin City, Vol. 7: Hell and Back (Sin City, #7)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • No One Can Pronounce My Name
  • Hate List
  • Husbands and Other Sharp Objects
  • Hidden
  • Mystery Walk
  • Galway Bay
    $11.99 $3.99
“Most people think Marv is crazy, but I don't believe that.
I'm no shrink and I'm not saying I've got Marv all figured out or anything, but "crazy" just doesn't explain him. Not to me. Sometimes I think he's retarded, a big, brutal kid who never learned the ground rules about how people are supposed to act around each other. But that doesn't have the right ring to it either. No, it's more like there's nothing wrong with Marv, nothing at all--except that he had the rotten luck of being born at the wrong time in history. He'd have been okay if he'd been born a couple of thousand years ago. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield, swinging an ax into somebody's face. Or in a roman arena, taking a sword to other gladiators like him.
They'd have tossed him girls like Nancy, back then.”
14 likes
“Nancy's got a guardian angel. Seven feet plus of muscle and mayhem that goes by the name of Marv.” 13 likes