Start by marking “Dark Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #2)

Dark Secret

(DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal #2)

THE EAGERLY AWAITED NEW MYSTERY BY BEST-SELLING AUTHOR JANICE FROST

Who killed Gray Mitchell?
Gray Mitchell’s body is found buried under fresh snowfall in the early hours of the morning outside Stromford Cathedral. D.I. Jim Neal and D.S. Ava Merry are called in to investigate. It seems that a number of people had motives to kill him, including Mitchell's partner.

Then another
Published February 22nd 2016 by Joffe Books Mystery, Crime Thriller, Suspense

To ask other readers questions about Dark Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Secret

Start your review of Dark Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #2)
Sue
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing

What a Great follow up from book one!
The opening chapters in this book has you biting your nails and feeling quite tense. If you received an urgent text needing to be somewhere because someones life was in danger you would throw on your clothes trying to hobble one foot and a time putting your shoes on and at the same time picking up your car keys right? well imagine that in your head and you have the 'almost' openings of the first chapters. I am not giving away much else but to say that his b
Sue
DARK SECRET by Janice Frost is the second in a new series of detective thrillers featuring D.S. Ava Merry and D.I. Jim Neal. Ava Merry is a young policewoman, recently promoted to detective sergeant. She is fitness fanatic with a taste for dangerous relationships. Jim Neal, the boss is a single dad who is totally devoted to his job as well as caring for his son.

The plot is set in the fictional Northern city of Stromford. The characters are well-developed and the story is evenly paced.

This is a s
Linda Strong
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the terrific follow-up to DEAD SECRET. Neal and Merry are once again called to investigate a body.

Gray Mitchell receives a text from someone stating they are on the roof of the cathedral preparing to jump. He throws on his clothes, runs to the cathedral, and climbs to the roof. The next morning his body is found buried under a mound of snow. Someone wanted this to look like a suicide.

Gray's partner, Leon, is a suspect. He's been cheating on Gray, and then finds out that Gray has been ch
Brenda
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, series, policial, revenge
This book was a surprise.

Gray Mitchell was an actor but he does tour guides now with his partner Leon. The author give all the POVs of the group of friends and we start to wonder why?! So, clever, because i find in the begining very boring but when really start the investigation we start to know that they had secrect.

Why Maxime and Laurence move??
What is Caitlin bad secrect?
Tara Smythe Leon's ex ??

There is a lot of information and already have my suspect but
wow I never see that "secrect" coming!
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

I read this immediately following a couple of really, really bad books and I had great hopes for this one as it was presented for fans of Angela Marsons, Rachel Abbot, etc.

Maybe my hopes were too high. It was an okay book. The fifth in a series and the only one I've read. Maybe that was part of my problem.... coming into the "show" well after the intermission instead of the beginning. The story was okay, well-paced and fairly credible. But none of
Pia
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this rate, if I keep finding authors/series/books I love, I'll hace to read 20 hours a day for the next 6 years just to make my TBR pile a bit lighter.

This is the second book in a series, and I already have books 1 and 3 lined up. I like it when you can read a book and both get an insight of previous books, and can understand all the events and characters in the one you're reading.

DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal have a strained relationship at times. He's collected and professional, she's the ki
Vicki - I Love Reading
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I was gutted when I actually realised I had this book out of order. I have read book 2 before book one. I was pretty angry with myself as I had them both side by side on my kindle and thought I'd got them the right way around. So after finishing, this Book 2. I have just started book 1.

I enjoyed the story line in this book it was a little different, and I have to say the who dun-it part, I really didn't have a clue. I think I suspected more than one person throughout the book.
We kick off with a
Mary Johnson
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good old-fashioned whodunnit with engaging characters. An easy, accessible and entertaining read that held me whilst the DCI, his sergeant and I became acquainted. The second book of a series, this held up well as a 'stand alone' but I'm sure I will go back and read the first.

Though psychological and serial killers rule the market in terms of murder mysteries today, there is much to be said for the beloved style of those whose work is reminiscent of 'Our Agatha.' Ms Frost has made a fan.
Irene
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A new case for the team - a peaceful cathedral city is now not so peaceful with not one, but two murders to solve. I liked the cover, description and the scene setting but it did take a while to get into and only seemed to pick up pace after the second murder which is when I began to enjoy the story. It was fairly good and gripping enough to read till the end. For me a three and a half star book. I was given this ARC by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Ingstje
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jim Neal and Ava Merry are called in to investigate the death of Gray Mitchell. Gray’s death is certainly suspicious because none of his friends believe in suicide and when they investigate his phone they find a message he received in his final hour from someone threating to jump from the cathedral. The autopsy further reveals he was hit on the head too. All through the story Gray seems like he’s a really good guy and nobody should mean him any harm. So the investigation does not lead anywhere u ...more
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dark Secret by Janice Frost earns a 4 star rating as being book two in the crime thriller series starting DI Jim Neal and DS Ava Merry. It stands alone though it does reference the action from the first book, Dead Secret. The book starts out with the murder of former stuntman Gray Mitchell whose friends and lover all become suspects as well as key characters in the progression of the novel from the onset.

Merry is introduced as the first detective to take ownership of Gray's murder case by chapt
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for a review copy of Dark Secret, a very enjoyable police procedural. DI Jim Neil and DS Ava Merry are called to investigate the death of Gray Mitchell who is found at the base of Stromford cathedral. Whether it is suicide or murder DI Neil is treating it as suspicious and starts investigating immediately. It doesn't take long to establish murder and the hunt is on. Gray is an American who has recently moved to Stromford with his lover, Leon, so hi ...more
Crittermom
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Janice Frost effortlessly blends modern British police procedural with psychological thriller. The end result is a suspenseful novel with a chilling and somewhat surprising conclusion.

I always enjoy police procedurals, but part of what especially attracted me to this novel is DS Ava Merry. She is a strong, intelligent female lead who thinks outside of the box. Her relationship with her superior DI Jim Neal is a bit rocky (due to events in previous novels) but they work well together.

The murder
Lorna
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
Gray Mitchell's body is found beside the cathedral, his blood tainting the pristine snow. All the reader knows is that after being lured there his killer is known to him. But who out of his close-knit bunch of friends could it be?
As the novel progresses it seems that every one of them seems to be running from their past in some way.and it's up to Jim Neal and Ava Merry to dig up their secrets.
To be perfectly honest I found this a slow burner to start off with but it soon became compelling as the
Judy Savage
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good thrillers!

This series by Janice Frost are exciting, keep the reader guessing, lots of action. I couldn't put it down! Looking forward to more books to be written! 2017 is the time for another book! It seems so far away, but I'll be anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Trina
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley, arc
I received this arc from Netgalley.

This was a fairly good read. It wasn't anything special, just your regular run of the mill suspense.
Carrie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. Excellent characters. The plot was exciting and the ending a surprise.
Ally
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A plot that kept me guessing and some well written characters. Will be looking out for more by this author.
Kristin.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slow start, speedy end

When I first began reading Dark Secret, I wasn't sure I would continue; the story was too slow for my liking. But my husband,who had already read the novel, encouraged me to stick with it. I thought the Bipolar characteristics of Johnathan was a bit over exaggerated. The two female villains, Angie and Caitlin with their shared psychosis, were also a bit less than credible, too. Still the novel was a fair read-though I did a good amount of speed reading to avoid excess verbo
elizabeth mcguire
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 of this series is just as good as the first one.
You find out a little more about our Scottish DI and his fitness freak DS. However not enough to overtake the main storyline. I do find it annoying when a writer goes off piste from the storyline to wax on about private lives or poetic about the scenery. This writer has the mix just right. Giving relevant details pertinent to the story.
This storyline has many characters and twists and turns keeping you engrossed right to the end.
I don't li
Peg
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good Book

This is the second book in the series and it is pretty good. DI Neal and DS Ava Merry are not developing as well as I'd like and I'm hoping they end up together but that wouldn't work for their careers. These book are not bloody and cursing is at a minimum and seems appropriate when used.
Geraint griffiths
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

Read this book in 2 days. .Once again couldn't put it down. ! Really clever and interesting plot with intriguing characters . Going to down load next book. Can't get enough of this series. .
Michele Zito
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished book number and I have already started book 3 Her husband's secrets.
I am so enjoying these by Janice Frost , so well written and. I will be reading book 4 as soon as I finish this one. I hope she continues inwriting more about Neal and Merry.
Michele Zito
Kitten  Peters
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

What a riveting book. All see.s well with a group of friends until one is murdered and then another. Mark's sister might be next. I figured out who did it but was shocked at the story went to tell why the person was a murderer. Awesome book
Doreen
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terrific!

One of the most unusual and exciting police murder mysteries that I have read! Truly outstanding! DS Merry and DI Neal are excellent in pursuing and identifying the murderer.
Pat
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
3.25 stars.
Jo Ann
Large cast of potential suspects and a well-crafted plot add up to a great second book in the Merry and Neal series. Was happy to see more of PJ, Archie, Maggie and Ollie.
Karolyn
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing thriller

First time of reading this author and wasn't disappointed. The story was a fast paced page turner that had you gripped wanting to know who the killer was
yvonne chester
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I Enjoyed this novel very much . If you like murder mysteries that keep you guessing then this is for you too
Juliette Barker
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome twist to a brilliant novel!

• Dead Jealous (Calladine & Bayliss, #7)
  • Dead & Buried (Calladine & Bayliss, #5)
  • Deadly Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #2)
  • Dead Nasty (Calladine & Bayliss, #6)
  • Dead Lost (Calladine & Bayliss, #4)
  • Dark Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #1)
  • Dead List (Calladine & Bayliss, #3)
  • Secret Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #3)
  • Buried Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #4)
  • Dead Silent (Calladine & Bayliss, #2)
  • Silent Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #8)
  • Dark Houses (DI Greco, #2)
  • Shadow Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #7)
  • MURDER THE BOYS (Detective Kate Power Mystery Book 1)
  • Dead Bad (Calladine & Bayliss, #8)
  • Wrong Victim  (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 3)
  • Dead Guilty (Calladine & Bayliss #9)
  • Dark Murder (DI Greco, #1)

DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal (5 books)
  • Dead Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #1)
  • Her Husband's Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #3)
  • Their Fatal Secrets (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #4)
  • Dirty Secrets (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #5)