Start by marking “When the Black Roses Grow” as Want to Read:
When the Black Roses Grow

When the Black Roses Grow

Twenty-five men and women were accused. Nineteen hung to their death on Gallow Hills. One suffocated under bone-crushing stones. All believed to possess the power of witchcraft.

In 1692 the fear of witchcraft is spreading around Salem Village. While those who are accused and sentenced face death, everyone else faces the risk of accusations placed upon them.

As Emmalynn Hawth
ebook, First, 183 pages
Published December 2nd 2015 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about When the Black Roses Grow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Black Roses Grow

Start your review of When the Black Roses Grow
Lois Buck
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book needs to "hath" an editor. I can't "bare" it anymore.

Uses of the words we might expect in a story set in the 1600s in Salem are inconsistent and distracting. "Hath" is used incorrectly way too many times on every single page. And I'm pretty sure that the contraction "I'd" would not be used. Also, homonyms were confused. For instance, the word "bare" was used quite a few times when the word "bear" should have been used. If you can get past the vocabulary and a few spelling problems, you
Nada Sobhi
"No one who has been accused has ever been found innocent. No one who has been accused has ever lived to see their family and homes again. No one who has been accused has ever seen anything besides the bars of the prison chamber until they hung on the hill."

When the Black Roses Grow by Angela Archer is a romantic historical fiction novel with a hint of the paranormal set during the time of the Salem witch trials.

From the start, the reader is aware of the injustices plaguing Salem, particular
Suze Lavender
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emmalynn's mother was declared a witch. It's 1962 and Salem is a scary place to live. Many people suspect Emmalynn to be a witch as well and she's living in constant fear of condemnation. While Emmalynn doesn't think she's a witch weird things start happening to her after she visits her mothers grave. Black roses suddenly grow in several different places and Emmalynn has no idea how she can remove them and doesn't know where they come from.

Emmalynn misses her mother dearly. She can use a friend
Regina Walker
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, romance
When the Black Roses Grow sucked me in from the very first pages, as a young woman grieving is confronted for traveling to the forsaken corner of the cemetery to mourn her mother.

James is as handsome as he is mysterious and the draw between him and Emmalynn made me cheer for them from the first time I witnessed their interactions.

The danger in the air as people make false accusations to meet their whimsical moods gave me a chill, but with magic playing around Emmalynn, I couldn't help but wond
Deborah Carter
This is a rather dark story. It occurs in Salem, Mass. during the witch trials. The heroine, Adalene, has recently lost her mother and her husband. Her husband died of a fever. His family disowns her and blames her and to a lesser degree her mother for his death. Her mother was hanged as a witch. She was innocent, however, those that accused her did not care and only wanted revenge. The mother was not buried in the main cemetery. While visiting her mother's grave a vine begins to grow and become ...more
Jackie Joy
Anachronistic +

It upsets me when an author fails to do research, but relies on what she thinks she knows about an historical period. I am just in the first bit of this book, but my disbelief refuses to be suspended. 1. I don't believe cotton was commonly used as a clothing textile during this period. Linen and wool were the predominant textiles. 2. The early pilgrim dwellings were based on the common English house. The use of log cabins for shelter was brought by Scandinavian immigrants, not in
Elsa Carrion
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story, however one hath to get used to the old English style writing. The good thing is that I caught on pretty fast. Would never have thought that the story was about those nuts in Salem. Ms. Archer did just a great job in describing the scene that I felt like I was the one on trial. It was under 200 pgs. but it was just the right length, and it was packed. The story pace was steady and I was glad it never dragged. Definitely did not see the ending, it was great!
Heather
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Living in Salem during the witch trials watching her mom accused of being witch caused em to feel anger towards the people of Salem. Upon visiting her mom grave she meets james and feeling pour in for him along with black roses growing near her. Fear of being accused like her mom she stays to herself.

Couldnt stop till done reading . Lobe the turn out of the book . Must read
Rebecca
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
An interesting look at Salem in the 1600s when witch hysteria was at it's height, but ruined by the sheer amount of olde worlde prose and filler that really wasn't necessary....also, not actually sure what the point of the story was when it ended. A character I thought would be instrumental to the plot just died. Generic happy ending. Blah.
Debra S. Rowland
Black Roses

I found this book to be surprising. And unsettling, I suppose. It was not what I expected and I'm not sure how I feel about yet. I do know that I wanted the heroine to fight back but that wasn't the way women were allowed to be at that time. I know I'll be thinking about this story for some time to come.
C.C. Hrivnak
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Longer Review: https://charmedbookhavenreviews.wordp...

**Disclaimer: I received an ARC Copy from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review whatsoever**

The moment I began reading, the book's contents immediately drew me inside the town of Salem. Emmalynn is well aquatinted with death when we first meet her. Her husband passed away from sickness and her mother murdered due to false accusations of witchcraft. Now under the dishonor placed upon her family name by
teresa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing and mystic

This will take you back to a time when the word witch brought fear in every female in and around Salem. The vigilante authority has all scared to speak, sit or walk with certain people. How do you live or fall in love
Kayla
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most unusual of books. Quite the nice diversion. Placed in Salem during the witch trials. Frustration at the way the people are manipulated and religion is abused and used is rampant. The ending was a little weak but otherwise a good story.
Adelheid
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Don't bother.

Ridiculous skewing of historic facts, but relentless hammering on why Puritans were kicked out of England ( for torturing their own people under church not legal judgement). Weird. Not readable as historic fiction or as fantasy. Don't bother.
Rlh
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a page Turner!

Though this is not the type of book that I would usually read I found it to be very interesting . The way that the story was woven together was different. The ending was a surprise. Loved it!
Andrea Curless
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!

Intriguing and romantic read. I loved the characters and writing style and all the interesting research from the Witch Trials. I would definitely read more from this author.
Judy Wolfe
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprising

This is a very good book. When you think you have the story figured out, it surprises you.
Good book.
sharon sobzak
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

A different perspective of the Salem witch trials well done with some intriguing characters. The times and language are represented having to prove innocence, not guilt.
Stacy
This had a great storyline, but I found all 17th century language tiresome.
Vicki
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Salem and all the evil is in this book. The witch trials with some twists. It's really good. Surprising.
Magi Kyle
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story

I found the story interesting. I enjoyed reading it. Some of the main character falling on her rump all the time was obnoxious.
Arlene Newman
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story

I choose this book because of the interesting title. It proved too be quite a good story. I recommend reading it
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
When I read the summary for When the Black Roses Grow and realized that it had to do with the famous Salem Witch Trials or at least it was written about people living in Salem Village in 1692 and beyond who were accused of being a witch I knew I had to read it as I am fascinated with anything during that time period. When the Black Roses Grow grabbed me right from the beginning and still hasn’t let go. I truly and dearly loved reading it and would recommend it to anyone who just loves a good sto ...more
Dionaea
This book left me thinking, "That's it?" Young widow tragically loses her mother to witch accusation. She catches the attention of a handsome man with a secret and there's a rose bush growing in her house for some reason. Things go awry when a jealous bitch accuses the widow of being a witch. Just before the widow is burned(Archer, does google not work on your computer? Salem didn't burn their witches.), handsome man's secret is revealed. The secret (view spoiler) ...more
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Not a popular choice for a romance, the Salem Witch Trials are well known in the U.S. all by themselves, making the setting intriguing—a romance during such horror—and dangerous.

Read full review in the 2016 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Rosie Hall
Mar 03, 2018
Agnieszka de Corde
Sep 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Secrets to Reveal (Highland Wolves #1)
  • The Handfasters
  • The Rise of Miss Notley (Tanglewood #2)
  • Crimes of the Brothers
  • The Legend
  • Highland Yearning (The Mackay Saga)
  • Virtue and Valor (Highland Heather Romancing a Scot, #2)
  • Murder on the Lake (Inspector Skelgill Investigates, #4)
  • Texas Desire (Texas Legacy, #2)
  • The Tell All (Locust Point Mystery, #1)
  • The Lady Seals Her Fate (The Langley Sisters, #5)
  • Jaded Moon (Ransomed Jewels #2)
  • The Lady of the Garter (Ladies of Lore, #1)
  • Touched by Danger (Sinclair and Raven #3)
  • Seeing Danger (Sinclair and Raven, #2)
  • Vow (Lords of Action, #1)
  • My Fair Lily (Farthingale, #1)
  • Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
Author of Sweet and Spicy Romance from Yesteryear #sweetandspicyromance

Welcome to my little corner of the internet! So who am I? Well, it's quite simple actually. I'm a history-lovin' author who writes in her fuzzy pants and loves her horses! My stories have a pinch of sweetness, a dash of spice, and a dollop of history. Sound interesting? Then slip into your petticoats and curl up on the couch wh

News & Interviews

“Listening through ears when thy heart is full of pain cannot compare to listening through ears when thy heart is full of fear.
Stay strong, my dear, and stay brave. You are loved by me and you are loved by God. Hold on to Him—let Him into thy soul to guide you when you need Him the most. Her ghostly words echoed and I exhaled all breath from my lungs as I closed my eyes.”
0 likes