Start by marking “Sin City 4 Ese cobarde bastardo / That Yellow Bastard (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Sin City 4 Ese cobarde bastardo / That Yellow Bastard (Spanish Edition)

Sin City 4 Ese cobarde bastardo / That Yellow Bastard (Sin City #4)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  23,497 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
That Yellow Bastard (ese cobarde bastardo) is one of the three Sin City graphic novels upon which the Sin City film is based (release date 4/1/05), which the author co-wrote and co-directed with Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Officer Hartigan is just one hour from retirement, when he gets word from a stoolie about that one loose end he hasn't tied up, a you ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Norma Editorial Sa (first published 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City 4 Ese cobarde bastardo / That Yellow Bastard

Melki
Number four - I still really hate the artwork, but the story is first rate. There's nothing like a good vengeance tale, and Miller's story of a wronged cop finally righting the score is particularly sweet.

My most bone-chilling moment? This little speech delivered by one of the villains:

Power doesn't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes outta lying and lying big and getting the whole damned world to play along with you. Once you got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

John Hartigan has served the police force well and his retirement is deserved, but when he gets word that little Nancy Callahan has been kidnapped he can’t just hand over his badge and gun without attempting to save her. Little does he know that his final moment of heroism will haunt him for years to come . . .

For all of you who know me in real life, follow my blog, or are friends with me here, you are probably well aware that I’m qu
Algernon
Aug 12, 2015 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2015
[9/10]

The best Sin City episode for me since "The Hard Goodbye". I'm not making a case that the previous two albums were inferior. I was just waiting for a strong lead character to rival the unique voice of Marv, and for some of that sharp internal monologues that cut to the the bone, letting out all the pent up rage and despair of a man pushed beyond his limits of endurance.

hartigan

The present album also benefits from some of the best opening lines in my noir library:

Just one hour to go.
My last day on
Luís C.
That Yellow Bastard is Frank Miller's fourth graphic novel of the critically acclaimed Sin City series to be published, but in chronological terms it is the first.
The first novelty that the author publishes in this book is the creation and use of a completely honest character and with unshakeable moral.
His heroic and, of course, extremely violent attitude is successful, with Nancy escaping unscathed. However, the Senator does everything so that not only Hartigan survives with being apprehended j
Carmen
Sep 05, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
Hartigan is a cop. Last day before retirement. He spends it hunting down a pedophile and saving the little girl, 11-year-old Nancy Callahan. Because the pedophile was the senator's son, Hartigan - who was shot 6 times AND has a bad heart - is fingered as the pedophile. He spends 8 years in solitary. Nancy loves him and writes him a letter a week. For eight whole years. Then the letters stop coming. Just an envelope with the finger of a 19-year-old girl. Hartigan knows what he has to do...

...

David Schaafsma
Feb 12, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-crime
This is the best so far of the Sin City volumes, which I am reading as part of the BIG DAMN Sin City complete collection, which is 1357 pages long and in a really BIG format, which is sort of appropriate for Miller's sort of approach to noir, mostly black and white (though this one adds yellow for the yellow bastard guy), with BIG cops and BIG women and BIG criminals and BIG splashy art). But the art and story seem to work better here than in the previous volumes, seem a bit more inspired. He's ...more
Mark
Nov 21, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of great comics / graphic novels
Recommended to Mark by: Found it on the name Frank Miller
The name Frank Miller is a certificate for quality in the comics world, his noir series Sin City are an excellent example of a quality comic that is based purely on the writer/artist and owned by him as well.

That Yellow bastard is a brilliant telling in the oldish noir style with its b/w drawings it sets the mood. But the great thing is that the baddie, the title of the novel. is despicted in yellow. And it works very well.

John Hartigan the protagonist (and our hero) is only a few hours from ret
Ana  Vlădescu
Until now, this is my favorite installment. Even though it's hard to pick, because "The Big Fat Kill" was also really good, I'm sticking with this one. The Yellow guy is really creepy and the fact that he is drawn in yellow in an all-black drawing work makes him stand out even more.

I've already started the 5th Sin City volume.
Jedhua
Story Synopsis: (view spoiler) ...more
Teresa
Feb 24, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By this point in reading the series I was damn sick of seeing Nancy twirl herself around on stage in that damn cowgirl outfit. I always figured she was a big shit character and was hoping she'd have a hell of a back story. Well, here it is. This is my second favorite so far (first being "The Hard Goodbye". The story it's self is sad if a little unbelievable- the idea of an older guy with Angina going through all he did just to save a little girl is a little ridiculous in my opinion. But, it's mo ...more
Vincent
Feb 11, 2013 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of all of Frank Miller's Sin City books this has to be the best or tied with The Hard Good Bye (vol.1). In some cop movies or works there are always an older cop like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon who are getting too old for their work, or are two days from retirement or something. [Spoiler alert] John Hartigan the protagonist (and our hero) is literally only a few hours from retirement, he is in his 60's (or near enough) and saves a little girl from a fate worse then death from a psychotic ...more
Henry
Mar 02, 2012 Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the first of the Sin City series I ever read. I actually have the original four issue comic. This is also one of the stories shown in the Sin City movie. For those who are familiar with Frank Miller's work, nothing in here will be surprise. Sin City is dark, twisted and bad people thrive as good people have to do bad things to survive. It is ironic that in a comic drawn in black and white (and in this case, some red and yellow) that everything that happens inside is every shade of grey i ...more
Felisberto
Nov 30, 2013 Felisberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
4º Volume de Sin City, 4ª narrativa poderosa, 4º espaço de acção e aventura - Sin City.

Neste volume, mais uma vez não se dá tréguas e paz aos cidadãos de Sin City. Mais uma dose muito bem conseguida de desespero, vingança, violência e, claro, uma boa dose de amor que serve de mote para a narrativa. Só que agora com um ingrediente especial, sendo que a ideia de amor é multifacetada; ora amor-paixão; ora amor-fraterno.

Mas, não obstante, para que este amor tenha êxito só há uma solução, a habitual
abatage
Oct 14, 2010 abatage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume features the colouring style that really adds something else to Miller's art. Compared with the other books, this one has a pace to it that seems more determined than before. The path seems more linear and the goal stays more straight-forward. However, that doesn't remove from the enormity of Sin City and still allows for a brief cross-over with Dwight near the beginning.

Perhaps the most emotional of the series so far, the story is much more developed and the book is all the better f
Andre Odysseus
GREAT... GREAT NOVEL... GREAT...

Gosh, this book was really good... The meaning that is encarved in this book is so beautiful, sweet and heart-warming and it is between the many layers of a grotesque, bloody, violent graphic novel which is a lovely twist... It makes satisfied when you reach the end of the book... AND THE END IS MIND-FUCKING-BLOWING... I think a decent human-being will cry at the end of this novel... This graphic novel has such a meaning to me...

5 STARS
SCORe: 98%
Dan
Aug 05, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another story that was featured in the Sin City movie. Almost forgot all of the details to this one.
Jesse A
Mar 24, 2015 Jesse A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the hardest hitting and best of the Sin City books so far. Very good.
Joseph
Jul 16, 2017 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hartigan's story is my favorite. It's also one of the saddest. All of his heroics end up tragic but it goes to show sometimes a hero must face tragedy in order to be the hero. The tie ins to the other stories are always a nice touch but it makes you see the timeline. The books go backwards in a sense so far with the exception of Dwight. Just a great series and more to go.
Aggelos
Apr 01, 2017 Aggelos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-comics
Great art, amazing characters, good story. Five Stars. Fair trade.
Seán Downey
May 25, 2017 Seán Downey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
This series is pure gold. Consistency on par or better than the previous volume. That Yellow Bastard is no different, finished it inside 40 minutes. I was unable to put it down with the twist and turns it had as well as its fast paced well written story
Peter William Warn
Jacob
Sep 26, 2014 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here’s a little bit of history for you. In 1988, the final “Dirty Harry” film was released, “The Dead Pool”. After it was released, Clint Eastwood publicly stated that he will not do another Dirty Harry film, as he believed the character was getting too old and becoming a joke. However, a certain comic book writer by the name of Frank Miller was not happy with the ending to Dirty Harry’s legacy, and in typical Frank Miller fashion, decided to use his “Sin City” comic series to say how he thought ...more
Suncerae
Oct 04, 2015 Suncerae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On his last day on the police force, honest cop Hardigan receives a tip about an 11-year-old girl kidnapped by the rapist son of a corrupt city official, Roark Junior. Despite a severe heart problem, Hardigan makes rescuing the girl his last mission before retirement. The story begins eight years before the story lines in the previous volumes, before Nancy Callahan became the mesmerizing cowboy dancer in Kadie’s Club.

That Yellow Bastard is the best the Sin City series has to offer. Not only is i
Ville-markus Nevalainen
As I have loved the previous Sin City graphic novels, it should not come as a surprise that vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard is much of the same superb quality. The art is breathtaking and the more I read these, the more I want to have a poster made out of one of the pages. The story is as noir as it can get and it embraces it fully.

What I did find surprising, was how much the movie version affected me here. Robert Rodriguez's film adaptation is one of my most watched films and subsequently Sin City
Adam
Sep 03, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Kraus
Frank Miller's Sin City may be an acquired taste, but it's got me hooked. It's almost a quarter century now since Miller set out to refine the hardboiled, noir formula to its essence, and, if there are others who have followed more or less as successfully in his footsteps, few have achieved the profile he has.

Hartigan may be over the top, but what's the point of going after the pure essence of a thing if you don't spin it out to its extreme. Bruce Willis humanizes the character somewhat in the e
Lloyd
A series that was ever so slightly declining (but still awesome) takes a big leap to the positive with this book.

John Hartigan is a cop wrapping up his last day on the job when a call comes in about an abducted 11-year-old girl named Nancy Callahan. With a crazed kidnapper/sex offender on the loose, he doesn't want to stop until he find her. Several things/people try to make him stop. He perseveres.

Is it possible to hate the end of a story and still think it's absolutely top notch? I guess so
Dominick
Sr. Lado Brillante
Oct 11, 2012 Sr. Lado Brillante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comics
Aquí tenemos a Frank Miller en toda su fuerza.
Sin los problemas que tenían los primeros volúmenes de Sin City (dialogo forzado, paneles que no aportaban nada a la historia, personajes que se ven diferentes de un cuadro a otro, etc.) y sin la sutileza que antes lo podría haber caracterizado (no es un Batman Year One desde luego, aunque, como con todo Sin City, es evidente que muchas de las historias fueron pensadas en Batman o Daredevil y muestra situaciones que podrían incomodar a cualquiera, si
Keith
May 12, 2015 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been working through these recently for the first time and finding them reasonably enjoyable. I liked the movie mainly for the striking visual style, and that's largely the strength of the books too. Saying that, while many pages look fantastic (particularly the large full page images), the art can quite frequently be a bit impenetrable, the composition can be messy enough that it's tough to see what some panels are even supposed to depict.

The stories and narration are a little one note too
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the
More about Frank Miller...

Sin City (7 books)
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Sin City, Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, #2)
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Sin City, Vol. 5: Family Values (Sin City, #5)
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • Sin City, Vol. 7: Hell and Back (Sin City, #7)

“An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade.” 27 likes