Jump to ratings and reviews

Alexander & Maya #1-2

Lost Heartbeats \ 'Lost Prelude

This is the bundled version of 'Alexander & Maya' which contains 'Lost Prelude' and 'Lost Heartbeats'. If you've already read the books separately, there is no need to buy this.

Part One: LOST PRELUDE
My name is Maya, and I'm not the same girl I was a month ago.
There is an emptiness I carry around in my chest now. A broken heart caused by grief.
There are also dark nights where I have trouble breathing as I feel the heavy weight of loss rushing through my veins, painful moments where I can remember my entire being scream in agony as I held onto my father's cold, lifeless hand.

Then there is always a hero to every story, isn't there? A hero who I despised from the moment he opened his mouth.

His name is Alexander. He is my inevitable I never expected to find. The one my broken heart leads me to. His existence, his touch, everything he did to make my pain bearable will leave a mark on me forever.
Yet, I know that when I'm gone, he'll only remember me as a fading memory.

Part Two: LOST HEARTBEATS
My name is Alexander, and I'm no fucking hero.
Not when I couldn't even save the little heartbeats I was supposed to protect with my life.

When a fist closes around my heart after a death brings me to my knees, I finally go after the woman I'd been craving for months. Not just because her beautiful face is the only thing that slips through the pain when I close my eyes, but because she has secretly carved a place for herself in my heart - leaving me with no choice.

But if I do this, if I make myself believe that I deserve her, will the choices I make ruin everything between us? Will she accept the fact that she doesn't get to leave me twice?

422 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 2, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ella Maise

14 books8,113 followers

Writing has become my world and I can’t imagine myself doing anything other than giving life to new characters and new stories. You know how some things simply makes your heart burst with happiness? A really good book, a puppy, hugging someone you’ve been missing like crazy? That’s what writing does to me. And all the hard work, all the sleepless nights, all the anxiety…everything is worth it at the end. And I'm hoping that reading my books will leave you with that same happy feeling.

VISIT MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

VISIT ME ON FACEBOOK

JOIN MY PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
22 (5%)
1 star
13 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 25 of 25 reviews
Profile Image for A_Ryan.
589 reviews173 followers
March 20, 2016
5+ stars for Lost Prelude
1 star for Lost Heartbeat

Aaaarrrgghhhhh! I don't think I've EVER been as torn about a rating before!!

Let me just say that Part 1 'Lost Prelude' was AMAZING!! 5+ STARS ALL THE WAY !! I couldn't believe that this dark, mysterious, tragic, tale could be by the same author who wrote the adorably light-hearted 'To Love Jason Thorn'.

Maya comes to New York for 10 days to grieve the death of her beloved father and carry out his last wishes. She checks into a hotel, and prepares to let her grief consume her, hiding away in a hotel room. That is until a series of events lead her to desperately need constant room upgrades. Finally, she is placed on one of the top floors and is given a luxury suite, adjacent to Alexander's, an extremely good looking, extremely bad mannered and extremely mysterious man who has a different woman on his arm everytime she sees him. He's also extremely annoying, egotistical, commanding, unapologetic, powerful and captivating. And his lips have a habit of completely disarming her.

I could not put Lost Prelude down. The mysterious Alexander was so arogant, so confident, so angry and so sexy that I felt myself swooning into a puddle of desire. And Maya's grief, mixed with her fierce resistence to any real emotion was beautifully woven into this tale of grief, lust, challenge and healing.

I loved this book so much and very quickly decided it was the best I was going to read all year.

And then Part 2 Lost Heartbeat began and my love affair with this book came to a crashing halt. In fact, and I hate to say this because I loved the first installment so much, but.... I DID NOT EVEN FINISH THIS ONE!!!

Nope. It was that bad.

Here are just 6 of the many HUGE, MASSIVE blunders that ruined what was essentially a perfect read for me...

So, even though part 1 will forever be a favourite 5+ star book for me, it's conclusion has forced the story into the 3 star league. Maybe I'll return to it in a day or so (I'm awful at not finishing a book!) but right now, I have seriously had enough. Life's too short and there's too many books on my To Read pile.

Fans of the 'billionaire meets everyday girl in jeans' trope will love it. Those who like a good enemies to lovers tale will also get a kick out of the constant bickering and the fact that Maya's insults are what turn Alexander on so much.

I'd only recommend Part 2 to readers who like pages and pages of steamy sex narrated by the guy's own dirty talk, and those who like sugary sweet declarations of attraction and love at every page.

5+ stars for Lost Prelude
1 star for Lost Heartbeat
Profile Image for Alex ♈.
1,568 reviews1,140 followers
February 20, 2017
DNF
Why would a young intelligent woman lust after the H, whom she sees with 2 different OWs, witnesses when he insults and kicks out 3rd OW, listens through the hotel wall, when H f’cks the 4th OW only hours after the encounter with the 3rd one?...
Maybe because she is a dull doormat?
Let do not start, that H sleeps with OW during their separation. Sweet epilogue (yes I skipped to it), but not plausible.
Profile Image for atomickitten.
631 reviews87 followers
August 24, 2021
3 stars, maybe 3.5

Decent. But not my favourite from Ella Maise.

Since I already reviewed Lost Prelude here and Lost Heartbeats here, I'm not gonna do it again.

I just need to say that my first read from Ella was Marriage for One.
My absolute all-time favourite. Deliciously written, very Zapata-like slow burn with all the elements I loooove in a good book. And so I keep on waiting for sth remotely as wonderful from Ella. She is a great writer and I love her style of writing.
This book, however, wasn't it. At least not for me.

Like I said, it was decent.
Very emotional but also very frustrating. And I must admit that I enjoyed book 2 way more then book 1. But I guess that's about it.

All in all, I'm still waiting for sth that will blow me away, just like Marriage For One did. I still have 2 books from Ella's backlist that I haven't read yet: I'm Yours and The Hardest Fall.
So fingers crossed.

Profile Image for Kery ☁️ .
69 reviews5 followers
September 26, 2021
I swear this book (or books) could have been half as long. The first one was kinda fine length-wise, but the second one was unnecesarily long and, therefore, repetitive.
I don't give if two stars because I really like this author's writing style. And I don't want to say anything about the plot, because I'd be here a while and I have things to do.
Profile Image for Heather Button.
807 reviews8 followers
September 16, 2022
I was really excited to read this because it's by Ella Maise and she's my jam. I've loved everything I've read of hers and still claim Jason Thorn as my forever book boyfriend. Sadly, this one didn't work for me. It took me a while to get invested and then when I did, it seemed to be a mess for a long time. I was waiting for the good and got a small bit of it. Don't get me wrong I don't regret reading it and I will absolutely pick up anything else she writes but this one just didn't get me the way her others did.

Maya is in New York City to fulfill a wish of her recently deceased father, her only family. She's come a long way to stay these ten days and reconnect with her dead father's brother and she won't be deterred. It's just taking her a while to get to him with the crappy weather and all the issues she's had at her hotel, including running into an infuriating man who she's had nothing but awkward, bad encounters with over and over again. Alexander, however, finds himself fascinated by the mysterious woman with the accent that always seems to be sad. She's got something about her that he can't seem to resist, while she sees nothing but a rich womanizer. Why not just have a fling and move on? But can either of them actually do that?

This was decent, but my GOD was Alexander infuriating, making dumb choice after dumb choice and he's supposed to be some business tycoon. How does one get to be so successful making such crappy choices time and time again. I did like Maya a lot though and loved that she didn't just succumb to him the way it seems every other female did.

⭐⭐⭐
Profile Image for ★ Belle The Bibliophile ★.
876 reviews241 followers
December 6, 2015
3~ 3.3 STARS

I didn't realize until the very end that this series was written by Ella Maise. What a lovely surprise! This book was unputdownable and I teared up a lot.

I didn't really like part 1 to be honest, I thought Alex was too much of a prick for my taste. But what I did like was Maya's relationship with her late father. Although, we only got a glimpse of it, I could tell how beautiful their relationship was. It's really well-written.

In part 2, I started to like Alex. I liked how affectionate he was with Maya, how crazy he was about her. Though, I wasn't too keen on the whole Natalie thing. What he did was awful and he didn't grovel nearly enough to get back to Maya's good graces.

I would love to give this book a higher rating but that kind of ruined it for me. The epilogue was wonderful though!
Profile Image for Barbara.
202 reviews
May 14, 2017
*DNF*
I really enjoy Ella Maise's writing, but I couldn't make it through this. It was a mixture of things for me:
- I felt it needed some serious editing
- I could not for the life of me warm up to Alexander
- the page count didn't feel justified by the story

I might try and resume reading it in the future, and I will amend the review accordingly.
Profile Image for Jessica.
486 reviews14 followers
July 10, 2018
No. Just no.

Please, female writers, quit writing female leads who cannot stand up for themselves and let men walk all over them and eat up all the crap they dish up to them with a spoon. Saying I love you does not magically make everything ok. Neither does buying someone a house. It is perfectly fine for a woman to stand up for herself and let go of a man who is not good for her.
I didnt like the H from the start but during the middle I was feeling him a little and then he just turned into a black hole of suckage. If a woman has to be treated like this to get a HEA, please give me a book without one. I was so disgusted I couldn't even finish the epilogue. I would have given 1 star but the author is a good writer.
4 reviews
January 21, 2018
They've both lost someone dear and need each other but otherwise it's a typical sex-based romance that's instantaneous. They are, for an inexplicable reason, draw to each other at first sight. There's a bit of emotional plot and the author is ok at writing them although I skip all the set-in-the-past scenes. I have no interest and I don't want to be emotionally involved with a character that's already dead.
August 24, 2018
Amazing double pleasure!

I've now read everything you've written & my heart breaks because there is no more. You are amazing! "Lost heartbeats" is 2 books in one & it is an incredible journey into the lives of Sexy Alexander & Beautiful Maya & I enjoyed it SO MUCH! 5 STARS EVERY DAY, EVERY BOOK FOR YOU ELLA!
THANK YOU!💗
September 28, 2018
Kind of long

But its also in 2 books....great love story. I love all of Ellas books and cant wait to read her next one
Profile Image for Plainweird.
526 reviews13 followers
January 25, 2020
Really liked it. I love a girl who is hard to get and isn't a pushover.
Profile Image for Maylin.
83 reviews1 follower
October 11, 2021
Estuvo decente no mi favorito de Ella Maise, pero se lee super rápido y el primer libro que gusto mucho, el segundo fue el que me decepcionó.
Profile Image for Bheng.
17 reviews
December 4, 2021
So beautiful!! ❤️❤️

A must read!!! I love Alexander and Maya. I love their first meeting and I love their ending. Ella Maise is one of my fave writer and she made me cry on this book so much. 😭
July 29, 2022
DNF

DNF the first few chapters seemed promising but it got boring very quickly. The book could have been a lot shorter as well.
Profile Image for Camila.
37 reviews3 followers
March 30, 2017

Want spoilers about this book? Just ask me and I'll tell you!
Profile Image for Laura.
778 reviews31 followers
January 7, 2016
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this author's latest book 'To Love Jason Thorn'. In that book, the heroine is a writer and she is writing her second book, which is this story! It was free on KU, so I decided to read it. This story is not as polished as Jason Thorn. It's a bit all over the place plot wise.

Maya is in New York to do something at the request of her now deceased father. While staying in her hotel, she keeps seeing Alexander who tends to frown at her a lot! The first part of the story is quite intriguing and we're left to wonder about them both. Alexander knows Maya has an accent but he can't place it and she has given a false New York address to the hotel (goodness knows why!). He asks her a few times where she is from but he won't tell her. She is grieving for her dead father and Alex helps her through it. They begin a sexual relationship but Maya has told Alex she is leaving in 10 days. He asks her to stay but she leaves (this was book 1 in the duet).

The story then picks up four months later and we also get Alex's POV. In their time apart, Alex has also suffered a bereavement and is hoping Maya can help him through it like he did for her. In a letter she had written Alex she told him where she lived (I don't think it's a spoiler to say it's Sweden). When he arrives, they don't even have a conversation about the fact she's Swedish, they just have a lot of sex then he persuades her to return to New York with him. Once back in New York, Alex has a lot of things going on that take him away from Maya. As I say, the plot was a bit all over the place. Then the timeline just jumped ahead abruptly, which left me a bit confused.

It had potential to be a good story but it did have it's faults. Also, there was far too much of Maya and Alex having sex and not enough of them really getting to know one another. Having read the author's latest book, I am pleased to see that her writing has improved since this duet and become more polished. I will continue to read books by this author.
652 reviews3 followers
May 24, 2016
"You know, the one person we’re bound to meet at some point in our lives. That one person who alters everything. The one who makes your soul sigh because it recognizes its lost part."

After reading To Love Jason Thorn, I knew I had to get my hands on everything Ella Maise has written, and this story of Maya and Alexander did not disappoint.

From the onset of Lost Prelude, I was drawn into the world of Maya and Alexander, each battling their own demons, yet drawn towards each other in the most passionate and purest way. Alexander becomes Maya's rock in her darkest hour, and as her time in New York slowly ticks away, we see them share a connection that neither has ever experienced before. Maya's pain of losing her beloved father had me crying hard for her. Reading that part of the book was so difficult but it's a testament to the talent of Ella's writing style. I just wanted to ease Maya's pain.

I was so happy to be able to jump straight into Lost Heartbeats as the ending of Lost Prelude had many questions unanswered. Without giving away the story, Lost Heartbeats was another roller coaster of emotions for me. New heartache and pain for both of these beloved characters. I was happy and sad and at times, I just wanted to throw my phone down in disgust. It has all the feels for a beautiful story. I just wished I didn't finish it so quickly!

I adore Ella Maise's writing style, she has quickly become one of my favourite authors. I will now be one clicking any book that she writes.
49 reviews
September 11, 2016
Torn, I liked the first part of the book, it was good nothing too out of the ordinary, but still wanted to keep reading. I liked the main character even though the connection did seem a bit rushed, and there wasn't much character background.

My problem was with the second part, there were too many unfinished storylines. Claire, Natalie, the family (what was up with the dad at the end...that was random, and it didn't really add anything to the story), nothing seemed to wrap up, even though the Natalie storyline was a main problem, it disappeared like it never happened. But my main issue was that it was too predictable, honestly for the most part I was actually wondering if I'd read the book before and just didn't remember, which doesn't speak well for a book.
Profile Image for Katie Valdez.
217 reviews9 followers
January 18, 2016
This review is for both books even tho I read them separately. The story is beautiful the writing is so smooth and the characters are amazing!

This series take you from mourn to happiness, hope, heartbreak and finally love. The first book was, at least for me "good one" but the second one simply touched my soul.
In general the story shows how much love was poured into the writing, like the rest of Ella's books you can feel identified and touched I think that's a gift to certain authors and Miss Maise has it! Congratulations!

Can't wait to read more books of yours!
Profile Image for Pam.
4,281 reviews40 followers
July 6, 2016
The Alexander & Maya Duet is comprised of Lost Prelude and Lost Heartbeats. The duet is wonderful although the erotica might cause problems for some readers. This is the romance of Alexander Ross, owner of a large hotel in New York City, and Maya Hart, a small café owner in Sweden who had just lost her beloved Father. They meet in his hotel when Maya comes to find her long-lost uncle who has returned her Father's letters over the years. Can Alexander and Maya overcome many obstacles to be together or are the obstacles too big.
489 reviews5 followers
January 9, 2016
Predictable

Billionaire falls for hard to get good girl. He chases. She caves. She runs. He chases. She caves again. He hurts her. His family hates her. She makes the best of the situation. Tragedy strikes. She runs again. He woos her with his undying love in the form of a Brownstone and a dog. Voila. HEA. Ugh. The only reason it got 3 stars is because it made we emotional once or twice and it was hot and steamy here and there.
Profile Image for Sara.
210 reviews
January 11, 2016
Good

This is the second book I have read. To Love Jason Thorn was way better. I still will recommend this book to others. Good, but not great.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 25 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.