Start by marking “Give It Back” as Want to Read:
Give It Back

Read Book

Give It Back

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  976 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
This novel follows three characters: Lorraine, Lexy, and Ella.

Lorraine:

Not long ago, Lorraine lost her husband to another woman. She thought that was the worst thing that could happen to her, but soon she realizes it’s just the beginning of an everlasting nightmare.

Lexy:

Lexy, an au pair from London, moves to Seattle to help Lorraine with her infant son. But she didn’t com
Published March 2nd 2017 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Give It Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give It Back

Deanna
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

When I was contacted by Danielle Esplin, who generously offered to send me a copy of her debut novel in exchange for an honest review, I was quite happy. I already had the book on my "to be read" shelf and was really looking forward to reading it.

"Give it Back" follows the lives of three characters. Lorraine, Lexy, and Ella are all connected in some way and all of them have secrets.

The story begins as Lorraine's sister, Ella
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
"I guess we're all guilty at some point of failing to appreciate the small things, because when we use a broad brush to paint our exemplary lives, we splatter ourselves with ignorance."

What an exciting debut novel! I didn't read many reviews on this one before picking it up and I'm actually glad I didn't; the less you know going into it the better. The above jacket blurb does a great job summarizing the plot; the story is told with changing POV between the three above-mentioned characters. Each
karen
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
here's the part where you shouldn't listen to me, because here is where i am having a medium reaction to a book everyone else is raving about.

maybe i have domestic/psych suspense burnout, because while this one has the kind of shape i usually dig, there were a lot of issues i had that kept pulling me out of the narrative to scratch my head, which makes for a bad reading experience.

so - good things first - i do like the way this is told: alternating short POV chapters with three - count 'em - t
Pearl Angeli
description

3 Stars

Give It Back was a good psychological thriller book for me. It was ingeniously written and was constructed with a clever and mysterious plotline. However, there were some issues that made this book a less enjoyable read for me.

Give It Back's story centered on three women namely Lorraine, Lexy, and Ella. When Lexy and Lorraine's son went missing, Ella got to Seattle to help Lorraine solve the mystery behind. That time, Lorraine was also dying of brain cancer and everything was just so co
Linda
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Give It Back for an honest review through the author, Danielle Esplin. Thank you for the opportunity to read your debut novel.

"It's like I'm on a roller coaster ride, but I'm not allowed to get off. I'm strapped to the seat, and within eyesight the unfinished twirl of the track swirls into the air."

A very telling description of Lorraine's current cancer diagnosis as well as the palor it impales in the lives of her sister, her exhusband, his current wife, her sons, and the au
Christine
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: author PM request R4R
I wish to thank Ms. Danielle Esplin for offering and sending me a beautiful paperback copy of her debut novel in exchange for an unbiased review.

Golly, the trouble people get themselves into! What a mess these characters created of their lives. This debut novel has a very cool cover, which in small print states, “unrequited love does not die.” Ain’t that the truth.

This tale of deceit is told from the POVs of three women. There is Ella, Ella’s terminally ill sister Lorraine, and Lorraine’s au pa
Sue
Many thanks to author Ms. Danielle Esplin for providing me with an ARC of her debut novel, “GIVE IT BACK” a psychological debut thriller, in exchange for an unbiased review. I can’t believe this is a debut novel…it is that good!

This novel follows three characters: Lorraine, Lexy, and Ella. Here's the synopsis of her debut novel:

Lorraine:

Didi
4.5 STARS

Going into this, I honestly didn't know what to expect aside from a suspenseful psychological thriller. As soon as I started, I couldn't put it down. It was quietly intense and gave me chills as the pages kept turning. The synopsis alone is good to go by, therefore I won't get into what this was about. The best thing about this book is learning what it's about!
We have 3 key players: Lorraine, Lexy and Ella. The book is told in their pov's--and don't worry, it's not confusing in the lea
Margitte
As a debut novel this book has all the elements of a perfect mystery. Although it contained all the elements thereof, it also introduced a different approach to the typical American suspense thriller. Nobody in the saga is perfect! That's the first bonus point for this book.

Three women's lives get entangled in Seattle, when the main character needs help from her somewhat estranged, self-centered sister. The nanny from London forms the third leg of the table laid with mysterious intent, hidden ag
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This book entangles us in a story of deceit, lies, mistrust and cover-ups. For the entire reading of the book I got to the end of the chapter and told myself "just one more" but because each chapter ends on a mini-cliffhanger that did not work, I basically read it really quickly and was eager to pick it up. I love a book that engages my brain like that.

The majority of the story is told from alternating perspectives from three women who are key players in the plot and also across a timeline so y
☮Karen
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Book club read #8. 2.5 stars

What just happened? I was reading a pretty interesting mystery with three unreliable narrators, trying to decide who was telling the truth and which character to hate the most (that was easy). Occasionally (often, really) I had to stop short to question some of the author's word choices. But still, thinking it could be a 4 star read.

Then the ending veered off into craziness and the unlikelihood that readers would buy all of what's taking place. There is a lot reveale
Nelou Keramati
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Danielle Esplin's 'Give it Back' is quite possibly one of the most gripping novels I have ever read. It is rare for me to connect to all primary, secondary, even tertiary characters. I wish I could talk about them. Quote them. Boast about their mannerisms and quirks. But everything is so inextricably linked that I don't want to risk giving any clues away for those eager to decipher the enigma themselves.

Suffice it to say, the writing is smooth, smart, and highly evocative. It pulls you inside t
Andrea
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Wanted to like this book but found it to slow.just wasn't my type of book.never gave a low rating in along time but got to be honest.
Zuky the BookBum
I read this novel as my BookBum Club book for May!

Unfortunately, like many books I’ve read this year, this novel simply turned into another average throwaway thriller. It started off exciting, with a host of mysterious characters but the further we went through the novel, there became too many branches off the main plot that became convoluted and ultimately let the end of the story down.

What I did like about this novel were the clearly defined characters. Each was well developed and the use of
Gary
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was approached to read this debut novel by Danielle Esplin in return for a honest review I didn't really know what to expect. Another budding author trying to make it in this difficult business but having started the novel I was instantly hooked and read and read at every available second.
The novel is set around three women and the story alternates between each of them giving their own perspective. It is difficult to give an outline of the story without giving too much away but take my wo
Farah
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*The author of this book sent me this paperback copy in exchange for an honest review, so don’t expect anything less than that. I will always give an honest review, be it a positive one or a negative one.*

Holy Shit. What did I just read?!?

This book has officially taken the lead for my fave book of 2016 (so far). I’m not even sure I can form a coherent review, but I’m going to do my best.

Give It Back is the kind of compelling “I must know WTF is going on” book that makes you forget about everythi
Monnie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a wild ride! My actual rating is 4.5 stars, in fact - and for a debut novel, it sure is impressive. My thanks to the author for providing me with a copy in exchange for a review.

The story begins as Ella leaves her home in San Diego to visit her sister, Lorraine, who is dealing with a serious illness. Lorraine, whose former husband Craig left her to marry Martha, the woman with whom he had an affair while married, also has help from Lexy, an au pair originally from London. Lorraine also has
Lynn Mccarthy
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Danielle Esplin for giving me a copy to review.

The book follows three women Lexy,Lorraine and Ella and is told from alternating perspectives from these three.
Lexy is Lorraine's au pair and Lorraine is very ill.Ella gets a call from her sister Lorraine to please come and spend some time with her plus Lorraine not so long ago lost her husband to another women.
I liked the pace to the story and the ending was clever.
There is also mystery to this book as well.
A great debut and Author to wat
Chloe
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Give it back by Danielle Esplin was such a great read .I went into the book not expecting anything and it was a pleasant surprise . The book is very well written and it's difficult to believe it's a debut book by Danielle
Without revealing much about the book, it is written with the point of view of three people ,Lorraine the mom , Lexy the Au pair , and Ella Lorraine's sister . The book goes back and forth between the characters POV and between past and present but manages not to confuse the au
Orlanda Machado
Original Blog Review: https://myescapebookscoffeetea.wordpr...

My MAIN Bookstagram: http://instagram.com/blog.myescape

My SECOND Bookstagram: http://instagram.com/booksofsalem

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/BlogMyEscape

Buy this book on The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/Give-It...

”review”/

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

* The author of this book sent me this paperback copy in exchange for an honest review, so don’t expect less than that, I will always give my honest opinion, like it or not *

On Go
Brenda
When Ella reluctantly headed to Seattle to see and help her terminally ill sister Lorraine, she had no idea what she would become embroiled in. Unaware exactly how unwell Lorraine was (unwilling and unable to accept the diagnosis) Ella was dreadfully shocked when she arrived to find her in hospital. Baby Sam, only a few months old, was being cared for by the au pair Lexy who Lorraine had employed after Sam was born. But Lexy had another agenda…

Logan, Lorraine’s sixteen year old son by her ex-hus
Maha
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s always when paths collide that our perception of people and life becomes clearer. And just like at a crossroad, the lives of Ella, Lorraine and Lexy intersect.
Give It Back is one of those books that catches your interest once you read the blurb. Something about the cover of this book was mysterious to me…revealing nothing. And with the blurb talking about 3 intersecting lives… Well that did it for me. I didn’t read too many reviews. I was rather intrigued to dive into the book and find out
Aline
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had my eyes on this book for a while. I really like mystery and this book falls into this category.
To be very honest, the first 25 percent of the book is really slow, but after that the book picks a steady pace and I didn't want to stop reading it. The mystery is good, but it had me suspicious of one specific character the entire time. Although I was right on cue with the character, Danielle Esplin still managed to write a compelling and mysterious story. Even though that said character was e
Chanelle
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whether you want to discover your new favourite author or devour a new psychological thriller: Give it Back will definitely NOT disappoint! I received an advance copy of Give it Back in exchange for an honest review.

Danielle Esplin, born in South Africa, lives in Seattle with her husband. She is currently following her passion and clearly has a lot to offer.

"Give it Back' is her debut novel and I am amazed that she wrote such a believable, captivating, heartfelt, intense and intriguing debut.

G
Zoey Hardy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this because the reviews were good. I don't know what they were reading, because this book was ridiculous. I kept reading it, thinking it would have a shocking ending. It didn't. I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters, and that's never good. Truly a waste of time.
Kath
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started Give It Back without any expectations (which I think is fair because this is a debut novel) and I'm so happy that I ended up loving it.

The story begins as Elle decides to finally visit her terminally ill sister, Lorraine, in Seattle. On her way to the airport, she receives a call from a nurse saying that her sister is in a hospital because of an accident. Elle was surprised especially when she finds out that Lorraine's 16-year-old son and the au pair were not at home with her during th
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love books that keep the suspense throughout the whole book. I was not 100% sure what happened to Lorraine's son and also Lexy until the very end of the book. The ending is also a WOW I did not see that coming at all and it keeps the suspense going. This is a hard review to write because I don't want to give any spoilers and that will be very challenging.

I loved the layout of the book. The chapters would go in between the characters and also in between past and present. It really helped to cre
A. Aaroones)
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a trip. From page one the words punched me in the gut and made me take a step back. Not to mention that Danielle Esplin's writing sounds like a professional. I found myself intrigued and yearning for more from page one, and that is something that has become very rare for me.

One of the main aspects that I seek out in a novel is whether the characters are well developed, and that was something that I was able to see easily with Esplin's writing. She clearly understands her characters
L.W. Tichy
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Give It Back by Danielle Esplin is a great read that will keep you guessing. With a wide and varied cast, the author draws you in right from the beginning. Although the characters were a little hard to connect with at first, as they come across as isolated and a little shut off from each other, this approach makes sense with the tone of the story overall. Furthermore, the plot and mystery of the story quickly overcomes this pulling you and your emotions in so you feel the story for the whole fa ...more
Redwan Orittro
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Read the complete review here - https://themanwholovedbooks.wordpress...

I received a review copy from Danielle Esplin, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

First of all I would like to congratulate and thank Esplin for giving me a copy of her debut novel. I have interacted with her personally and I could not help but picture Ella as Danielle herself.

I had no idea what the book was about even though I had read the short description on Goodreads. I am
  • Embers of Starlight
  • Chasing a Thrill
  • Ashes and Bone (Delta Crossroads Trilogy, #3)
  • This Little Piggy: A gripping, page-turning crime thriller
  • The Cold Cold Sea: page-turning crime drama full of suspense
  • Mother Before Wife (The Compound, #2)
  • False River
  • Coal Creek
  • The Paris Lawyer
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout, #2)
  • Summerlong
  • The Girl Who Went Missing
  • The Second Captive
  • Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)
  • This is Rage: A Novel of Silicon Valley and Other Madness
  • Fear Dreams (Detective Kerri Blasco #1)
  • Cease and Desist (The IMA, #4)
  • Imperfect Strangers
Danielle Esplin studied BSc Food Science with Chemistry at the University of Stellenbosch. She was one of the top students, and she got a full-ride scholarship. After almost three years of sleepless nights, working in the laboratories and experimenting with new food products, she realized that something was missing.

And that was writing and the freedom to express herself as an artist.

Without tell
More about Danielle Esplin
“Have you ever loved someone so much that even when they chip pieces away from you, you still try to give them what’s left? I know I have… I know I do.” 21 likes
“The void inside me starts to fill, but my heart has holes, and whatever it holds will run out, leaving me empty once again.” 11 likes