Start by marking “The Urban Sketching Handbook: Understanding Perspective: Easy Techniques for Mastering Perspective Drawing on Location” as Want to Read:

A good sketch starts with good bones.

The fourth book in the Urban Sketching Handbook series uses drawings and simple steps to explain the often challenging and overwhelming concepts of perspective in practical and useful ways for on-site sketching. Most books are either too abstract or don't provide enough information that relates to what you actually do when you're out in
Published June 15th 2016 by Quarry Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Urban Sketching Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urban Sketching Handbook

Start your review of The Urban Sketching Handbook: Understanding Perspective: Easy Techniques for Mastering Perspective Drawing on Location
Robert Kosara
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-design, paper
Great little book, very inspiring.
Michael Anderson
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well-written, informative book that explains perspective better and more completely than any I’ve read before. Lots of examples and straight forward techniques for figuring out, verifying, and using vertical and horizontal vanishing points in landscapes, cityscapes, and even still life sketches. I really learned a lot here.
Juliana
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, reference, sketchbook
This was the textbook for my sketching class. While sketching street scenes and perspectives are kicking my butt, this is a great little book (and series) to keep on hand. It does a great job of explaining the types of perspective and the 4/c samples provided are inspiring.
Talie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: painting
Inspiring and informative book! It also has lots of great sketches to study. And above all, it encouraged me to go out and start sketching.
Emma Sea
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: auckland-library, art
Anne
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of good advice, instruction, samples and diagrams.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I participated in a Craftsy.com (now Bluprint.com) class with this instructor and learned a lot during that class. This book helps me review and practice with the the Challenges at the end of the book.
Gerdie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this books, I've had this last year but I still refer to it from time to time. Sketches included here are also very inspiring and beautiful. This is at the top of my favorite art books.
Terrie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clear instructions on a challenging subject; steps broken down clearly to get you started on using perspective in sketching. Some of the pics too small to easily see details of instructions. Overall, a great addition to an art library.
Dwayne Richardson
Perspective must!

I love the extensive explanation given in easy to understand steps. This is the most helpful of the series if you plan to capture buildings and structures in plein air.
Kristi
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Super helpful suggestions. As I have been teaching myself through books the last many years, this gives practical ways to approach urban sketching. I'm a little intimidated because of how talented everyone is but look forward to carrying this book with me as I go out and explore.
Cigdem
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-design
It teaches the basic rules of perspective through examples. You can also re-draw the pictures as you read the book. Clear and understandable.
Friederike
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice introduction to perspective. It also has some activities you can accomplish for practice. Quick read.
David Rush
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This book has loads of fantastic examples. I mean they are gorgeous!

However they are so excellent they seem unattainable, especially when they note how long each one took. Like the coffee shop example on page 10. It is a true masterpiece and it only took 2 hours. WOW!

If there were some brilliant new tips on how an average person could achieve anything close to that or even just similar results the book would be priceless. But there is really only one page showing how to hold a pencil up to
Suetheartist
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference source on perspective drawing. The writing is easy to follow and hopefully I’m able to execute the suggestions. Sketching anywhere is the plan
Gerd
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually like how small the texts are (it is clear and readable to me, as opposed to the reviews on amazon) and I love how small and handy it is, it basically weighs nothing and I can just bring it everywhere to reread it or just look at other artists’ sketches to get inspired. But even if it’s just a small book, the informations are actually still very detailed and well explained.

I already knew the basics of perspective but I was still drawn to this book when I first saw it and I’m glad I
Mms Mamdouh Al Shamy
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
A great book to start perspective drawing with plenty of illustrations and drawings. Looking for the next level
Erinn Hill
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway.*

I LOVE this book. It covers a variety of concepts in relation to perspective that make sketching seem less intimidating. While I was familiar with some of the basics of perspective that the book covers, it also taught me quite a few new concepts and also clarified some others that I haven't yet mastered. I think both beginners and experienced artists could gain a lot from this handbook as it contains exercises, tips, and challenges
Cindy
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really well laid out and easy to understand and follow. I didn't realize or forgot that heads of people will line up pretty much on eye level.
Good ideas about finding eye level and vanishing points.
James
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts
Fabulous book on perspective drawing. I thought I had a decent handle on this, but I learned a bunch
Criss
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well written book, It covers everything you need to know about perspective. Also, it has great, inspiring examples. I think it's the best book in this series.
melody wrobleski
May 23, 2018
Christine Callaghan
Jun 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Urban Sketching Handbook: Architecture and Cityscapes: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: Reportage and Documentary Drawing: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: Working with Color: Techniques for Using Watercolor and Color Media on the Go
  • The Urban Sketching Handbook: People and Motion: Tips and Techniques for Drawing on Location
  • Sketch Now, Think Later: Jump into Urban Sketching with Limited Time, Tools, and Techniques
  • Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color
  • Bangkok Wakes to Rain
  • Inversions (Culture, #6)
  • Pen and Ink Drawing: A Simple Guide
  • Archisketcher: Drawing Buildings, Cities and Landscapes
  • Dare to Sketch: A Guide to Drawing on the Go
  • The Urban Sketcher: Techniques for Seeing and Drawing on Location
  • Driving Miss Norma: One Family's Journey Saying "Yes" to Living
  • Amy Falls Down  (Amy Gallup, #2)
  • The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
  • Colorways: Watercolor Flowers: Tips, techniques, and step-by-step lessons for learning to paint whimsical artwork in vibrant watercolor
  • The Weather Detective: Rediscovering Nature’s Secret Signs
  • Color Harmony for Artists: How to Transform Inspiration into Beautiful Watercolor Palettes and Paintings