Start by marking “Light Thickens (Inspector Alleyn #32)” as Want to Read:
Light Thickens (Inspector Alleyn #32)

Light Thickens

(Roderick Alleyn #32)

"Is this a dagger which I see before me..."
Four murders. Three witches. A fiendish lady. A homicidal husband. A ghost. No wonder "Macbeth "is considered such bad luck by theatre people that they won't mention its name out loud. But the new London production of "the Scottish play" promises to be a smash until gruesome pranks begin plaguing rehearsals. And when the last act
Published April 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Light Thickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light Thickens

FangirlNation
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Light Thickens by Ngaio Marsh, the Dolphin Theater, under the production of Peregrin Jay, is holding a performance of Macbeth. This play is known as a cursed play to the superstitious in the theater, who refuse to quote from the play or even to name it, calling it instead The Scot’s Play. In fact, the book’s official description on Amazon states that “tradition requires anyone who utters its proper name backstage to leave the building, spin around, spit, curse, and then request permission to ...more
Simon Mcleish
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in October 1999.

It is perhaps fitting that Ngaio Marsh's last novel should have a theatrical setting, given the importance of the theatre in her life. (Symmetrically, her first novel, Enter A Murderer, is also set in a theatre during a production of Macbeth.) It does use the hoary old device of the acted death of a character turning out to be a real killing of the actor, one which she herself has used at least three times, but the story is well enough written
Jane
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This discard from the public library was a serendipitous choice. I was glad I decided to take this enjoyable novel home with me. This, the last work of Dame Ngaio, was a murder mystery involving a theater company presenting a production of Macbeth. For all of Part 1, the book showed in detail how a theatrical production is put together from its earliest stages of reading, blocking, lighting, props management, through rehearsals, to final, polished performance. We glimpse some of a director's ide ...more
Wendy
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well on its way to 4 stars until the ending, where I thought it fell off a bit. It was listed as a related reading in our school textbook next to Macbeth, described as a murder mystery involving a production of that play. It took some searching to find it, but I'm glad I did.

The action centers around the Dolphin Theater, where director Peregrine Jay is assembling what critics will call a flawless production of "the Scottish play." He doesn't believe in the bad karma that supposedl
Nancy Wilson
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is supposedly the last book that Marsh wrote and I can't help but wonder if someone finished it for her. This book was tedious and the murder while fully anticipated was still out of left field. What I mean is from the beginning of the book which focuses on Shakespeare's Macbeth, the when and the with what are obvious. The who and the why are the only questions and sadly they remain the questions after the fact. So much attention is devoted to the play and the production of it the villain i ...more
Susan
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last title in my 32 book quest to read all of the Roderick Alleyn books in order. Found it slow going. Although I have just seen Macbeth in the past 6 months and understood many of the allusions to the play, I found them a bit annoying in the book. Love Peregrine Jay and his family and remember them from the earlier Dolphin Theatre title, which was one of Marsh's best titles. Still and all, loved reading these all and am happy I devoted the time to it.
Judith
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Light Thickens is Ngaio Marsh's last book. It's a long 20 year sequel to Death at the Dolphin. Wiki states "that the subject was close to the author's heart and in 1981 she wrote to her close friends Maureen (née Rhodes) and John Balfour that the novel had been in her mind for a long time, was 'hell' to write and would, she thought, appeal to theatre people rather than to her usual fans. Her characteristic modesty proved her wrong, as the novel sold extremely well, receiving especially favourabl ...more
Hannah
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The theatre aspect was interesting, particularly to readers like me who know little about stage workings or Macbeth superstitions. Having studied the play briefly in high school and disliked it, I was surprised to find myself quite interested in the characters, both in their roles and out of them. Ngaio Marsh did a great job of making the play seem exciting even to those who're largely uninterested in it.

However, I found the mystery aspect of it rather underwelming. For someone who is advertised
Kathleen Dixon
Ngaio Marsh has a very interesting style in that we don't meet the detective until well over halfway through the book. Well, we have a fleeting introduction but it isn't until page 151 that he really arrives on the scene, and then the murder is on page 157.

The setting is a London theatre putting on a production of Macbeth. Now apparently this is known as an unlucky play, so we have tension between the superstitious and the not, with an unscrupulous character playing on it. We also have a distinc
Carol
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dame Ngaio"s last Alleyn mystery interweaves scenes from the "Scottish play" with a contemporary
theatrical murder. As a producer in her day job., she knows whereof she writes. Marsh is not as hard on the brain cells as Sayers; I enjoy her more than Christie. A fine mystery.
Nancy Ellis
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Ngaio Marsh's last book, and even though I haven't read all of them, I enjoyed it the most of the ones I've read so far. What better setting for a mystery in the theatre than Macbeth, or "the damned Scots play" to the superstitious. Peregrine Jay (a character featured in an earlier book) is directing the play and has no patience with superstitions, so he works diligently to prevent his cast from thinking about them. In spite of some disturbing pranks, the play goes well until a few week ...more
Daisy Madder
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The 32nd and final Inspector Alleyn novel, and Marsh wisely brings him back to the arena of her expertise- the theatre- where the suspiciously un-ill-omened rehearsals for a production of The Scottish Play culminate in an appropriately gory murder in front of an audience. I'm not sure either the how or why dunnit really make sense, but I'll forgive her that for creating an atmosphere in which the off stage action is as brooding and claustrophobic as the play itself. And now I've got a real hanke ...more
John
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Ngaio Marsh novel and the last one she wrote. I liked the murder taking place during a Macbeth play with on stage. I felt there was a little too much detail about the play. Gastion was a great character and there were a few red herrings on who was the murderer. Overall I would definitely ready another Marsh novel.
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dame Ngaio Marsh was an actress, playwright, and theatre producer, now best known for her mystery novels. This murder mystery features Peregrine Jay, a theatre producer at London’s Dolphin Theatre.

Light Thickens was Marsh’s last book, published posthumously. The murder in the book takes place during a production of Macbeth.

What distinguishes this book is the author’s intense admiration for Shakespeare and the theatre. As you read, you find out what it is like to choose a cast and direct a play.
Patty
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
During a production of Macbeth, superstitions about the play lead to various strange and unlucky things happening backstage, eventually culminating in the murder of the lead actor. The mystery itself is extremely lacking (who did it? The crazy guy! Why? Because he's crazy! Aren't you shocked and stunned by this revelation?), but it doesn't matter much because clearly this book is way more interested in the details of preparing a theatrical production – the murder doesn't even happen until about ...more
Teri-K
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
One thing you can say for Ngaio Marsh's books - they're not all the same. This, her final novel, is completely set in the theater and the first half of the book is consumed with the rehearsal of MacBeth. There are the usual well-drawn characters, but no real mystery till past the half-way point. I didn't mind but I suspect some people will get impatient. Marsh knew the theater well, and having directed MacBeth, she lets the reader feel as if they're part of the cast. (I'd love to see a productio ...more
Nell
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Mistakenly requested this book thinking it was the next one in the series, but it turned out to be the last. Having discovered my error, will continue the sequence where I left off.

There's no wrapping up or finality to Alleyn's story. It was published in 1982, the year Marsh died, so she must have intended to continue writing; though in her late 80s, how long might that have been? Somewhere in a parallel universe in the 1950s or 1960s, Chief Superintendent Alleyn is still solving murder cases wi
Sharla
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The plot centers around a performance of Shakespeare's great drama, Macbeth. I think Ngaio Marsh has attempted to build suspense in this story in the same way suspense and tension build in the play. I think she has succeeded. This is her last book and the setting is a familiar one, the Dolphin Theater, which we know from Killer Dolphin earlier in the series. It's a fitting farewell to our journey with Roderick Alleyn.
Shireen
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2012, fiction
I read most of Marsh's books a long, long time ago. So this was a reread. I seem to recall enjoying her books more than I do now. This is one for theatre buffs or Macbeth fans. The mystery is transparent. The whole thing skims like a throwaway line in a play, the kind of thing good for a weekend when thinking is not allowed and dozing is the order of the day. The strange thing about this book was the copyright said 1982, yet the whole thing read like a 1930s novel.
Karen
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun. The eccentric theatrical setting, the creepy manifestations of the curse of MacBeth (or is it?), the charmingly grisly murder -- all delicious. It doubtless helps to have a comfortable familiarity with Macbeth.
George
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
#32 in the suave and debonair, Scotland Yard Superintendent Roderick Alleyn mystery series. Alleyn is detached, sophisticated and expensively educated. This is final Alleyn mystery.

The focus is the production of "Macbeth,” a play that is considered bad luck by theatre people that they won't mention its name out loud. The production goes smoothly until “accidents” begin to happen that turn tragic which then brings in Alleyn and his Scotland Yard team.

About half of the novel is a very descriptive
Jamie Jonas
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have finally read the last of the great Rory Alleyn adventures--pretty sad event, in a way. Marsh is a writer I've followed for about thirty years, and as far as I'm concerned she ranks among the top three mystery writers EVER. This is a good mystery, though unfortunately not one of her greatest. I give it five stars as much for her cumulative work as for this particular story. I don't quite understand why Marsh decided to feature her gallant hero so little in this last outing, and I'll probab ...more
March
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, marsh
One of the livelier of Marsh's books, and her last. As usual the murder happens very late -- two-thirds in, as a matter of fact -- but the opening chapters on the staging of Macbeth are engaging and the investigation (which in Marsh books is usually where tedium sets in) mercifully short. Sadly, the solution is as obvious as it is ludicrous, and also ludicrous is the characterization of a left-wing actor.
Lorraine
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I got this out of order, but it was timely, as hubby and I are about to see a production of MacBeth. Though I don't normally like Marsh's books set in the theatre as much as others, this was is marvelous. I love the addition of the juvenile actor - would have loved it if there had been a sequel including him. (Well, I would have been very happy if there had been any sequel; sad to see the series end!)
Jennifer Jones
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not so much a murder mystery - there is a murder, and a grisly one at that, but Alleyn figures it out pretty quick smart - more an examination of the play Macbeth, and the power it exerts over the characters that play it. Lots of interesting detail about the staging of it, props, lighting, effects etc. As Macbeth is one of my favourite plays I found it really absorbing.
Vintagebooklvr
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It goes into a great deal of detail about MacBeth play; enough so that you do really need to read critic interpretations of the play. It can become a little to much but she does know her stuff and it is interesting to see how much goes into getting everything right for a play.
She does know how to right but I thought that the motive was a bit weak so this is not my favorite of the series.
Jessica
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the setting and the characters (it was particularly nice to see a familiar face thrown into the mix). I also enjoyed how the murder was carried out - it was different and quite savage. The solution was glaringly obvious, although I did hope I was wrong because for whatever reason I actually liked the culprit. Overall, not Marsh's strongest novel, but the ride was fun nonetheless.
Cheryl
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This mystery was as much about the psychological aspects of the theater and MacBeth as it was a mystery. It was a more intense and intellectual read for that reason, and I would have found it easier to follow if I were more familiar with the theater from the inside. The mystery was sell done with a few good red herrings. Not my favorite outing with Inspector Alleyn and Br'er Fox, but good.
Jj Li
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed going back to the Dolphin, and seeing Perry again, and meeting his family. The characters were refreshing, the plot and setting were sharp, and if it wasn't for that ending, this would've been my favourite Ngaio Marsh.
Sarah Webber
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Inspector Alleyn's stories end pretty quietly with a revisit to Peregrine Jay and the Dolphin Theater. The mystery is strange but the production of Macbeth is interesting to follow. All I have left to read are the short stories. I will be sad to leave Roderick and Fox and Troy behind.
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • The Documents in the Case
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Watson's Choice (Mrs. Bradley, #28)
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • Why Shoot a Butler?
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Listening Eye (Miss Silver, #28)
Dame Ngaio Marsh, born Edith Ngaio Marsh, was a New Zealand crime writer and theatre director. There is some uncertainty over her birth date as her father neglected to register her birth until 1900, but she was born in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.

Of all the "Great Ladies" of the English mystery's golden age, including Margery Allingham, Agatha Christie, and Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh

Roderick Alleyn (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn #6)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10)