Start by marking “Octopus Pie: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Octopus Pie: Volume 1

Octopus Pie: Volume 1

(Octopus Pie (definitive collection))

Published March 1st 2016 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Octopus Pie, please sign up.
Paula Its about disenchanted 20-somethings in the city, so yes its very cool

Start your review of Octopus Pie: Volume 1
Lata
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't get into this story about two long-lost friends who are now rooming together. The characters and the situations they get themselves in never really interested me, and I had some trouble distinguishing between some of the characters.
Kirsty
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I received this book for free from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This book was a disappointment for me, I had hoped to be amused and at times I was. However, for the most part I was just bored. This graphic novel is about a girl named Eve, as she experiences life and works her way through awkward social situations and post-college life.

I just didn't click with this at all. I'd find my attention grabbed for a handful of pages and I'd be amused and interested, then I'd
Cynthia Corral
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
OK I got about a third of the way through it but I can't do any more.
It's fine. The two star rating says "It was OK" and that's what this is. If there were no other books to read, or all the libraries burned down and NetGalley went belly-up, I would read this book and happily enjoy it. Honestly I even chuckled a time or two.

But I can't give it more than that. I think Meredith Gran has talent, but I don't think this book is there yet... or it just isn't the book for a 49 year old grandmother...
Alison
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
2.5 STARS.
For some reason I was hoping this would be more like Giant Days since it follows two girls and their friends out of college. And I know this is a collection of comics that were originally put on the web, but the disconnect between stories was a little too much for me. Most of the stories were pretty boring, though some I laughed out loud at. I had a love hate with most the characters, they would do something awesome, and then annoy me again.
This was just far too long for being about
Siina
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Octopus Pie actually surprised me by being very good. I haven't had luck with comics depicting everyday life of certain people. Usually they aren't that funny and the structure hardly ever works if there's no real plot. Octopus Pie surely works, since even if there's no real plot, it still moves forward and things evolve. The comic is about Eve and Hanna, who've moved in together as roommates. Eve is a bit snarky when Hanna is a pothead. Mostly the comic tells about their ordinary and ...more
Stewart Tame
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked this up on a whim. It looked like a collection of comic strips. The artwork looked decent. The characters on the front cover looked interesting. The title was intriguing. I had never heard of it before. It's rather fun. My brain keeps wanting to call it, "Friends: the Comic Strip," but I happen to know that my brain has never watched a full episode of Friends, so its expertise in this analogy is suspect (just between us, I often suspect my brain doesn't know what it's talking about half ...more
Lou
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
The synopsis of this book seemed interesting. I usually love this kind of secuential art because it's funny but also contains some things to think about.
This book was funny but only sometimes and unfortunately I couldn't find any reason to keep reading. The story didn't captivated me and the characters were not as developed as I expected. However, if I see another book by this author, I could give it a try.

-I recieved a copy of this book through Netgalley but this fact didn't influence the
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Feb 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
This one didn't work for me so I'm giving up on it.
Andria
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite comic of all time. It's perfect and I reread it at least once a year.
Elizabeth Mathis
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this first collected volume of the Octopus Pie series, we follow grumpy twenty-something Eve and her stoner roommate Hanna as they navigate post-college life. They'll take on crazed childhood rivals, troubling art scenes, the discomfort of exes, and maybe even... friendship? All this and more in the fictional, totally made-up city of Brooklyn. Well paced and grounded, ranging from funny ha-ha to odd observational humor, Octopus Pie s ultimate hooks are its flawed but genuine characters.

- - -
Dan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I went into Octopus Pie having heard the name for the better part of comics-reading adult life and knowing literally nothing else about it. When I first looked it up, it was after I'd finished reading Chris Onstad's Achewood for the first time (and immediately re-reading it, start to finish, another two times; so astonished was I that something like it existed). My expectations were high.

Octopus Pie is about two roommates (former pre-K classmates) and their friends and their Brooklyn apartment.
Wayne McCoy
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Octopus Pie: Volume 1' by Meredith Gran is a comic about mismatched roommates and their friends living in Brooklyn. The comics range from humorous to light drama.

Eve is in need of a roommate and she finds one in Hannah, someone she knew as a child. The problem is that they have very different personalities, including Hannah's pot smoking. Throughout the comics, we follow these twenty-somethings and their various friends. Eve works at an organic food store run by Olly, who is a bit tyranncal and
A Reader's Heaven

I was left feeling rather disappointed after only a few pages. I
Rob Slaven
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for a review. Despite that kindness I'm candid below.

The nutshell on this one is that it's a collection of daily comics that depict the life of a fresh-out-of-college woman and her druggy roommate. They have a series of typical but quirky experiences as they make their way though life.

To the positive, the characters are dry, witty and feel like real people. They're flawed and at times troubled but manage to muddle their way through. I wasn't
Erika
Thank you to Netgalley for a free copy of this in return for an honest review.

The premise is a grumpy sarcastic 20-something in the 90's with a stoner roommate living in Brooklyn. And that pretty much covers it. I didn't love the characters and I felt like they weren't fleshed out very well but they really took me back to people I used to know. Stoner chick who only eats vegetarian "organic" food and is chirpy happy all the time and doesn't get it when things suck because she's always so high.
Melek
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
At first, it was good. I wasn't in it for the humor, I simply liked the premise of seeing the "adult life" through the eyes of a grumpy adult. I liked this exact thing about the book, by the way, the best part of the book was Eve, then the art; though I like more clear and attentive drawing, this worked the best for this. Though, it did get a little too sloppy at times. Oh well.

On the other hand, the storyline, if there was one in the first place, couldn't keep my attention for long. Octopus Pie
Jim
It's quite an interesting story - I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it'd be. But it was a fun, quick read. About human relationships.

But maybe there’s more wisdom than humor.

“Turns out being nice ain’t worth much towards happiness.”
“Neither is being smart.”

Now this was funny:
“Perhaps someday I’ll wear a costume that inhibits my shame.”
“How ‘bout a Wall Street business suit?”

Thanks to NetGalley, Diamond Distributors, and Image Comics for a copy in return for an honest review.
Emily
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, comic-strips
That was fun. Eve and Hanna are a likeable duo. I'd read more stories with them.
Ellis
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
The last chapter was pretty cute. I liked Eve and Marek but couldn't really stand Hanna.
It was an okay graphic novel, not sure if I'll continue but it wasn't bad.
Rob
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My pick for the best webcomic of all time. The whole thing is complete and online, so go read it.
Luke Wilson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I follow a lot of content creators on Twitter, most of whom are comic artists, many of whom I'm not even remotely familiar with their work. I mainly follow them because I love the art they post every so often, and the rest of their tweets are entertaining/wholesome enough that I chose to follow them. Meredith Gran was one of those. I'm not too into webcomics (anything other than Homestuck or Hark! A Vagrant and I'm pretty apathetic about it), but when Gran had tweeted the personal story that got ...more
Christopher
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Why I picked it up

I had come across Octopus Pie a couple times on people's Best Webcomics lists. The series just ended, so I thought this would be a good time to start reading it from the beginning.

Why I finished it

The first short arc about the stolen bicycle was a beautifully executed metaphor for loss and grief, especially knowing that the author had just lost her father at the time she was writing this. Unfortunately, shortly after this, the strip quickly fell into a much slower,
Adam Buccafusco
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the Sunday comic feel of Octopus Pie, it made the pacing fun and breezy. The beautiful thing about the comics medium, is the showing a reader to otherworldly possibilities. Octopus Pie, had many opportunities to be more daring, more animated, more exciting in its representation, but just barely scraped the surface of visually simulating moments. Evidence of this can be seen during the Renaissance Festival chapter, or even the ice skating chapter, great set ups ripe with possibilities, ...more
Clint Pereira
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite serialized comic after Calvin and Hobbes and Gunnerkrigg Court. Melancholy, irreverent, and bittersweet. I don't know how well it will age ten years down, but this is an amazing snapshot of our generation. And the things Gran does with speech text and bubbles is worth drooling over. Would recommend to anyone.
Punk
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Kate Beaton told us to read this, so I did, but pretty much everything about the first volume annoyed me. I gave it another try, and the second volume didn't improve my feelings.

Basically, the art is cute, but the characters are all just bumping into each other as conflicts spring up out of nowhere, then disappear just as suddenly. The relationships aren't meaningful. The moments of honesty are brief. And the cat looks like a dog.
Brianna -  Coffee Books and Bullet Journals
It was just okay. The graphics were really cute, and I think that if you like graphic novels, you'd actually really like it, but I just can't get into graphic novels, so I didn't have high expectations going into the book. I just couldn't get into the episodic chapters in it, rather than one continuous plot line. But if you like contemporary graphic novels, you probably would like it.
Jesse Richards
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I keep reading raves about this but didn't think it was very good. The pacing was awful and I couldn't tell some of the characters apart. Perhaps the later work is better, as is often the case with webcomics, but I'm not trudging through this to get there.
Elaine
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, graphic-manga
Wasn't sure I was going to like this at the beginning, but it grew on me. Some of it was laugh out loud funny.
Blair
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The artwork is pretty nice. The actual narrative, such as it is, wears out its welcome about halfway through. I'm not tempted to read any further volumes.
Robyn Courtney
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #18 Octopus Pie vol 1 by Meredith Gran 1 2 Feb 06, 2016 01:48PM

• Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez
  • The Outside
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Of Ash and Spirit (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #1)
  • Coloring Book of Shadows: Tarot Journal
  • Lucky Penny
  • Birds of Prey, Volume 2: Your Kiss Might Kill
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days #10)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 4 (Giant Days, #4)
  • Upgrade Soul
  • The Lie And How We Told It
  • The Wild Unknown Archetypes Deck and Guidebook
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Trouble in Mind
Meredith Gran lives and work in Brooklyn as a freelance comic artist & occasional animator. She's been drawing the webcomic Octopus Pie since 2007. She teaches a weekly webcomics course at the School of Visual Arts. She also wrote and drew the Eisner-nominated Adventure Time comic book spin-off, Marceline & the Scream Queens.

Octopus Pie (definitive collection) (5 books)
  • Octopus Pie: Volume 2