Start by marking “Nibbles: The Book Monster” as Want to Read:
Nibbles: The Book Monster

Nibbles: The Book Monster

Nibbles is a very naughty book monster - he's chomping, munching and nibbling his way through fairytales that don't belong to him! Can you help catch him and put him back in his own story? Lift the flaps, peek through the peep holes, and chase Nibbles through a fantastical world of fairy tales including Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Goldilocks and the ...more
Published April 7th 2016 by Little Tiger Press

To ask other readers questions about Nibbles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nibbles

Start your review of Nibbles: The Book Monster
Casey
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book roughly 82 million times because it is a favorite in my house. We've actually had it for almost two years and despite having books overflowing our shelves and access to the entire county library full of books, this is one that keeps making it's way onto the "PLEASE READ THIS ONE MOMMY" list.

I decided to finally write a review because my first grader had to do a "book report" this year (view spoiler)
Cecilia
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cool idea, and wonderfully put together! Maybe not for very young children, but it's very funny and a book that parents can also enjoy - which is always welcome!
Matt
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a great kids book idea and story, however it needs a better flow (maybe more words). I never read it to my children the same way twice and I never know how to read it, because there are sentences all over the pages but not an obvious way to read them.
Storywraps
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is adorable. It is interactive and stars a wee monster that you gotta love even though he is naughty. He, like Houdini, is an escape artist, and when gets out of his cage he heads straight for his first love.... his love of eating books! Yep, Nibbles is a book monster!

He bounds straight for the classics: Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Goldilocks and the Three Bears too. Today he is fine dining on fairytales. He chomps, munches, and nibbles through their pages causi
Heydi Smith
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
This story deserves more than five stars! It’s genius and I want more!

Nibbles nibbles his way through story books while the reader tries to catch him. What could be better!

Well, it gets better! The story book covers (that nibbles chews in to) are ‘written’ by different authors - all of them are anagrams for the author’s name. I know, genius!!!
Olivia
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Likes:
interactive, cut outs are really effective.
love the rhythm and rhyme makes it so much more memorable
love the page of finding nibbles with all the book titles on because it recommends books to children whilst their absorbed within another.
I love the fact that a traditional tales have been included and altered to fit into this book! SO CLEVER! it give the children some familiarity and shows them how some traditional tales can be changed and altered.
I think that this book is accessible to
Mehsi
I am a book monster myself, though I don't really eat books, at least not in the way Nibbles does. I devour books by reading them. :D

Nibbles on the other hand loves eating books, entering their stories, and disturbing their peace. In this book we see him go through a various bunch of fairy tales, like Red Riding Hood, and wreck havoc there. Pissing of the residents of the stories, and not making a lot of friends because he also nibbles on the books.
I still couldn't hate the little fellow, inst
Brittany
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Nibbles the Book Monster

This adventurous book begins with the reader meeting Nibbles the Book Monster. He loves to nibble everything but his favorite thing to nibble is BOOKS! Most of the time, Nibbles is contained in his cell being good. But whenever he escapes, panic and mayhem always ensue. This time, Nibbles has escaped and is nibbling through different folktales and fairy-tales which leaves their stories a mess! See the crazy mess that Nibbles leaves in his path. Everyone wants Nibbles to b
Milan Žila
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oli
I don't remember how I found this book but I do remember I purchased Nibbles: The Dinosaur Guide instead.

The main reason for skipping this book was that it includes stories from classic fairy tales and I really don't like fairy tales.
They are perceived as classics but I think the only reason Red Riding Hood is still popular today is because it's free to print and retell the story. Same with all the others.
Compared to what we have on offer today, reading fairy tales is like using VHS tapes. Not w
Janey Merry
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Nibbles" is a very cute, fast pace, and interactive story your young reader will want to read again and again. The title character eats his way into three classic children’s tales: "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", "Little Red Riding Hood", and "Jack in the Beanstalk". He causes quite a scene (and a mess!) in each story, but the Golden Goose from "Jack in the Beanstalk" comes to the rescue by capturing Nibbles and placing him back in his crate. BUT, as your child flips the extra pages, you find ...more
Alanna Fenn
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book at a book fair quite some time ago and immediately loved its idea, the super cute - pardon me, charismatic - main character, and the style of illustrations. Back then my son was way too young to read this book as he was something of a Nibbles' twin, firmly residing in his book-nibbling stage. Today, he is still too young to enjoy this book fully as not all of the visited fairytales are yet familiar enough. Besides, I'm afraid he might still take Nibbles' book munching as an ...more
Rossana
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5.0⭐️ — Perfect — Amazing book for kids! (And grownups too).

I never had so much fun with a child’s book since I’ve “grown up”. I was just checking for the new books in kids section, looking up for something to my little niece, when the cover for the Portuguese version of this book caught my eyes and my whole attention.

The story is quite simple, Our main characters is so
E little creature who likes to bite and chew anything, but has his heart on chomping books. And there he goes, eating his way t
Kristen
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One more wonderful Usborne book! I'm not sure I've ordered an Usborne book I've been disappointed with. This book is such a fun concept! Nibbles is a book monster who chomps his way through several different fairy tales and wreaks havoc in them!

The design of this book is really unique as well. There are some fun lift-the-flaps with the cage at the beginning and end. And then the fairy tale books that Nibbles chomps through are a set of smaller pages within the book.

It's really interactive - the
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had heard good things about this book and was excited to read it to my son. While it is a very cute concept, I felt that it was lacking in so many areas. It seems to me that the monster character is aimed at the very young and a bit silly or even patronizing while the fairy tales contained within the story line would be best read to slightly older children. The text was very disjointed and left you struggling with what to read first on many of the pages. The illustrations are borderline grueso ...more
Shaina Cade
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my nibbly goodness, Emma Yarlett is definitely a fave picture book author of mine (she also wrote Orion and the Dark which I five-starred the heck out of and wish was real). Nibbles the Book Monster is just as delightful, even if maybe I'd be a bit more cautious before wishing the lil munching terror was real. This book is loaded with details and humor and the best case of bookception I've seen. (As Nibbles chews through books and messes up the stories within, there are actually smaller books ...more
Lensey
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This book is absolutely a ton of fun. Nibbles is an adorable book monster that likes to nibble, but his favorite treat is books! So he nibbles his way into three classic stories--Golidlocks and the Three Bears, Little Red Riding Hood, and Jack & the Beanstalk. Eventually he is returned to his cage, but you ahve to watch that pesky nibbler--he might escape!
I love the way this book is written! The illustrations are beautiful! And my favorite part is that he actually nibble into the book--there ar
Brittany Smith
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review at: PerfectlyTolerable.com

Ahhhhh! This book is amazing! I loved it! It it is super cute and unique.  Nibbles escapes his book and jumps into other books.  This book has interactive flaps and holes in the pages and the books he jumps into are smaller pages to make them feel like a different book.  I am not explaining it very well, but it was really cool! Nibbles is adorable and the art is great.  I would highly recommend this book!
Barbara
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nibbles is a small monster who nibbles his way through lots of story books (e.g. Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc.) accidentally changing the stories as he goes. Great fun for adults, but will probably be more appreciated by children once they have some familiarity with the originals. I expect that children will enjoy it even if this is their first acquaintance with the stories Nibbles has changed, I just think they will enjoy it even more if they do already know them.
Nicola
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really clever picture book that's appealing both to kids and adults. Miss 4 loves the holes that Nibbles has nibbled into the book, the smaller in-set books, and the fairy tale references. I love looking at all the other details on the pages like the titles of other books and the extracts of texts.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to ha
Amy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute concept of a book. My daughter is too young at this point, but I can see kids getting excited with this book. Books like this are what I feel get kids interested in reading and see how much fun books can be!
Nibbles is naughty and likes to escape his cage. When he does, he takes the reader on an adventure through well loved fairy tales. He inserts himself as a character and causes chaos. It’s up to the reader to find and catch him before the fairy tale characters get too upset
Alison
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally rate children's picture books, but this book arrived yesterday evening, and we have already read it 7 times. My son memorized it, and wrote his own book based on Nibbles.

So, he will get the sequel or the dinosaur version for our Icelandic inspired Christmas Eve book exchange. You won't regret buying this book about a silly monster; it's great for ages 2 through 8. The illustrations are captivating and well done.
Naomi Forrest
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will be a classic with kids , I am sure. Nibbles is a naughty but adorable monster who loves to eat everything, especially books.

Very clever features are a highlight, such as books in the book and a page not too dissimilar to where's wally!

Full review at:

AMY
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Great story about a little monster named Nibbles who likes to eat through books. He manages to chew his way into lots of stories and change the plots as he goes along. Colorful, clever flap book with hide and peek holes and surprises on each page. Kids will love this one. Allows reader to interact with pages a bit. Highly recommended for Grades K-2.
Amanda (barefootmamabookworm)
This book is hands down at the top of both of my sons favorite book list. The book monster eats his way into different books and messes with the stories. They love finding him on every page and I read it as if we are chasing him through the book and there's lots of gasps and excitement. I recommend this book to everyone.
K.C. Hilton
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, just as much as my grandchildren. I've purchased several of them. The story is about Nibbles, the book monster, who likes to nibble on books! He chews through the book and jumps into other stories inside the book. I love the cut-outs throughout. Such a wonderful story and surprises along the way. Well done!
Kiyoko
A clever reading adventure that engages kids with the story and the illustrations. Some portions are difficult to read out loud because of complexity and cacophony.

I sometimes wonder if the author added in the conversation bubbles into the illustrations after writing the story, because mostly those side conversations are annoying. Hence 3 stars.
Haven
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nibbles is a great story that shows readers books can be more then just a story, they can be interactive as well. We follow Nibbles as he creates chaos in our story, chewing up our book and leaving traces behind as he goes.
Nibbles is a great story to inspire students to be unique, not every book is the same and there is so much you can do along side your writings.
Rury Lee
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorite
The book monster? What a wonderful idea! Nibbles likes to eat the book. He can get into the story! What is more interesting to me about Nibbles is that Nibbles can change the original fairy tale. Emma Yarlett is a so smart author and illustrator. She can deal with her own characters and stories enjoyably!
Vallyn
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-miss-e
I absolutely love this book. It is such a great idea. The story is short but cute, interesting, and interactive. The quick glimpses into the other stories is just enough to spike interest in another story.
Darcie Saunier
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute little romp through several fairy tales by a little monster named Nibbles. As a reader, I love the odd page sizes and holes in them; however, as a children's librarian....bust out the mending tape!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Penguinaut!
  • Pinkalicious: Fashion Fun
  • Luna Loves Art
  • The Nose Book
Emma Yarlett graduated with honors in illustration from University College Falmouth in 2011. Her other work includes a nonfiction book by Julia Donaldson and animation for the Waterstones Children’s Book Award.