Start by marking “The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee” as Want to Read:
The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee

The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee

Eleven-year-old Thelma Bee is never bored. In fact, she has curiosity and adventure in her blood. She spends her time running science experiments, practicing Spanish, and daydreaming about exotic landscapes. But Thelma gets more than she bargained for when a strange woman sells a jewelry box at her father’s antique shop. That night, a ghost kidnaps her father, and the only ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Mighty Press

Melissa Chung
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Such a cute ghost story with a twist. 4 solid stars. I want to thank Mighty Media Press for sending me this free ARC for an honest review.

Thelma be is 11 years old and has just started middle school. She is considered a freak among the other girls, but is okay with it because to her, the other girls are ridiculous and silly. Thelma has a best friend Alexander who is the brains to their experiments and is very knowledgeable about a lot of things.

Thelma's father Henry, runs an antique's store in
Cara Cahill
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Thelma Bee is an eerily entertaining book! This is the story of a scientifically-minded girl who steps into the world of magic when a lady walks into her father's antique shop with a jewelry box. This box is the beginning of an unwanted adventure for Thelma and a few of her faithful friends.

Erin Petti is a master at creating suspenseful scenes, then adding in just enough humor to give you a chance to breathe, before making you hold your breath again. She has the ability to paint a picture for t
Jennifer Bardsley
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is what my ten year old son says about this book:

"I think that The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee is a great book with an artfully crafted build-up to the final moments. Thelma Bee is a very curious girl, and when her dad receives a strange antique she can't help but investigate. I won't give away the exact happenings, but she should have just burned that box on the spot.

One of the many things that makes this book special is the illustrations. They are beautiful paper and pencil efforts wo
Scott Fillner
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an entertaining book! Erin's book has everything. It was witty, creepy, humorous, frightening, surprising, and just down right good. I really felt like this book will someday be a movie.

Erin has a wonderful way of creating intense action, then pausing to make you laugh and put you at ease, only to ramp it back up again.

I won't spoil it, but the end made me very excited. I can't wait to see what others have to say as well.
Lois Sepahban
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an ARC of The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee.

I loved this spooky and fun book! I can't wait to recommend it to my friends.
Katie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. The characters were great, really charming and funny. This is a YA, but it's not dumbed down so adults can enjoy it as well. Fun mystery, bit funny, but also a more than a bit creepy at times then the end got a little deep. So all in all it was a great quick read. I'll definitely read the next one.
Katie
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcon-2016
I received an ARC of this novel at Bookcon.

This was a great read- I loved the story line, the language, and the way that Petti wove her tale. 11 year old Thelma is an excellent protagonist. I like her because she has flaws and she works through them. I feel the same about her best friend Alexander- I'm not a fan of books where the main characters appear perfect. Thelma and Alexander seem quite realistic to me.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this novel was the language. I spend most of my time re
Bridget Hodder
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THE PECULIAR HAUNTING OF THELMA BEE is deliciously mysterious, thoroughly scary, and funny as heck. What more Middle Grade magic could you ask for? Perhaps strong female characters, a family history waiting to be discovered, a local group of the most amusing paranormal explorers since Ghostbusters, and an extremely likable heroine with a great best friend? Well, they're in there, too!

Author Erin Petti twists together varied plot strands that take us in super-surprising directions. No spoilers he
S.F. Henson
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book! Thelma is strong and smart and adorable, with tenacity springing out all over the place. Her friends are equally smart and independent. I love the diverse cast and the well thought out plot. There are traces of Goosebumps and Harriet the Spy and Stars Hollow and Hocus Pocus, all melted together with Petti's original voice and characters. Wonderful debut, and a definite must-read!
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the science-minded protagonist in this ghost story. Eager to find out what happens next to the whole crew!
Linda
Oct 20, 2016 added it
This was a truly delightful read! I went into it being predisposed to like it, I suppose, because the concept sounded so good. And it delivered!
Some MG or younger books will couch learning in story terms and it feels like they are trying to pull a fast one on the kids. Like there is so much information slipped into the story, at the expense of the story.
But not this one. It was full of scientific method, from the chapter headings to the main character's theories and note-taking and findings. But
April
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Note: ARC received at BookCon for review. All thoughts and opinions are mine and have not been influenced in any way.

Thelma Bee is a curious, smart middle schooler with high hopes and dreams. Her father owns an antique shop, and her mother explores the world for mysterious animals. Thelma is a just a regular girl, until an old woman brings a strange locked box to the antique shop, and there's when her adventure begins. Even though this is a middle-grade book, it was a very enjoyable read for me
Abby Cooper
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I was a little nervous to read this story. Scary things have never been my favorite. I tend to scream loudly and often, and am still living down doing so in a movie theater, approximately ten years ago, at a decidedly not-scary thing (the evil monkey in Pirates of the Caribbean - which, for the record, I still find TERRIFYING.)

While THELMA BEE definitely had plenty of scream-worthy moments (I tried to keep myself under control), it had a lot of other elements, too. There was an
Cynthia Reeg
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this fast-paced middle grade fantasy, eleven-year-old Thelma Bee likes to conduct science experiments, aid her father with his antique store, and hang out with her too-often absent mother. Her best friend, Alexander, and she are eager explorers when mysteries start mounting and her father is transported away by evil forces. Soon Thelma seeks help from the local paranormal society and the eerie adventures begin. Brave and persistent, Thelma discovers much more than she ever imagined—about hers ...more
Darby Karchut
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a creepy, yet funny, romp of a ghost story! THE PECULIAR HAUNTING OF THELMA BEE is a delightful blend of intelligence and courage, and with a spot on middle grade voice. It is so refreshing to read about a girl who uses the scientific method to save those she loves. The cast of characters are a hoot - they remind me of the T.V. show: GHOST HUNTERS, but for middle school kids. I'm eager to read more from Erin Petti. Bravo on her debut novel!
Joseph Leskey
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people, of course
Recommended to Joseph by: Abigail H. Leskey
I have to say, I liked this here book quite well. For being a book upon the rather occult, it seemed somewhat realistic. I liked very much how everything was portrayed. Also, reading novels that involve the mixing of science and that which may be considered "unscientific"… that's the life! Especially if its about ghosts. Because… ghosts !!!! Okay, okay… ghosts are something to be taken seriously. I've got that firmly instilled in my mind.
Casey Lyall
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A spooky ghost story with tons of adventure and mystery to boot! I love stories like this with spunky heroines, twisty plots, dark magic, and just the right amount of humour. A great read! I'm looking forward to more from this author!
The Reading Writing Puppet
A cute haunting story. If you liked Doll Bones and Goosebumps, this will be a fun read for that young horror fan. Story follows a girl named Thelma Bee who has to save her family from something evil.
Krista Dolzer
A delightfully creepy tale with a delightfully scientific heroine who discovers that science can't explain everything that goes on around her. And may I just say how much I love Henry Bee? He's my new favorite literary dad.
Carolyn Bernhardt
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An empowering read for any young reader! Thelma and her friends are a well-developed group of characters, the plot thickens at a wonderful pace, and the paranormal element is just spooky enough to keep readers coming back!
Lee Malone
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A superb and inventive ghost story!
Laura Noakes
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Creepy, funny, magical, scientific, scary and overwhelmingly charming. If you like MG books in the vein of CORALINE, you need to read this book!
Eilonwy
11-year-old Thelma Bee is a budding scientist, which is a bit of a pun here because she’s trying to grow a Mexican orchid in her backyard in Massachusetts. She likes coming up with theories, and she likes testing them. She likes a good mystery, too, so she’s also friends with a member of her town’s paranormal investigations club. When a strange old lady sells a jewelry box to Thelma’s antique-store-proprietor father, strange and terrible things begin to happen -- and both the scientific method a
Irene
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Upper elementary or middle school readers who like Halloween-ish things (scary, eerie, creepy stuff)
Recommended to Irene by: Mike
Shelves: children
First off, I need to make clear that I don't think I'm the target audience for this book. If I had seen this book while browsing the library or book store, I don't think I would have picked it up; it's just not what I'm usually interested in. However, a friend of mine recommended the book, and then gave me a copy for my daughter to read, so it was a quick read within easy reach. A 2-star rating might seem negative, but I do try to adhere to Goodreads's rating system, which means I thought this b ...more
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
this book surprised me, but not in a way i like books to surprise me... it had all the elements of a great YA story: creepy colorful cover art, smart and confident female protagonist, awkward friends, creepy villains, interesting parents, and a great mysterious plot... not really sure what happened... i would say the writing was herky-jerky, like the book wasn't sure if it wanted to be quirky kid stuff fun, or creepy dark scary kid stuff, or magical mythical wonder kid stuff, or friendship/moral ...more
Julie Kirchner
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This creepy, haunted story is going to be a huge hit with my students. Thelma's dad runs an antique store. A strange woman brings a mysterious box to the store which her father buys and brings home. That night Thelma thinks she sees a figure of a woman in the mirror and spooked, runs to tell her dad. There is even more to fear than Thelma realizes and she is swept into a haunted mystery that puts her entire family in danger. This is a book that will be loved by students who also love Mary Downin ...more
Theresa
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thelma Bee wants to be a scientist and there's lots of STEM goodies in this book about the paranormal. Thelma is a spunky and quirky main character, but life is not all perfect as there's a school nemesis and her world-renowned scientist mother is away a good portion of the time. Her father owns a local antique and collectible shop and is the primary caregiver.

One day a strange lady shows up at the shop with an equally strange box to sell to her father. The adventure begins. Mayhem, mishaps, she
Anita McDivitt Barrios
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Science and ghosts do not exist side-by-side in unbeliever 11-year-old Thelma Bee's universe. She prefers the scientific method, with its observable, reproducible and reliable results.

Until her father disappears and she discovers magic really does exist. But the line between good magic and bad is a fine one. When she discovers she is able to wield it, which will she choose, and can she set her father free?

Visit my blog for more great middle grade book recommendations, free teaching materials and
Mere
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
I thought it was decent. It wasn't my favorite book in the world, but it wasn't the worst. I liked Thelma's personality, and the plot had potential, but it felt... I don't know how to explain in. It didn't click?

For a middle grade reader this book will be wildly entertaining, but for me, it wasn't all there. Plot wise it was okay, as I said.

I don't have alot to say about it, but it was fine.
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2017-mustread
This was almost too creepy for me, but then, I am not a fan of creepy books except in certain circumstances. When a strange woman sells jewelry box to Thelma's father, something doesn't seem right. When her father disappears into that night, Thelma has to set out to rescue him. In the process she learns a lot about herself, her family, and the world around her.
This book will appeal to fans of the Serafina series by Robert Beatty.

• Masquerade (Micah Grey, #3)
  • The Kappa Child
  • Food of the Gods (Gods and Monsters: Rupert Wong #1-2)
  • Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • Working God's Mischief (Instrumentalities of the Night, #4)
  • Shadow Blizzard (Chronicles of Siala #3)
  • The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)
  • Skin & Earth #1
  • The Dreamsnatcher (Dreamsnatcher #1)
  • The Boy, the Boat, and the Beast
  • The Last Witness
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • Lost Boi
  • The Wingsnatchers (Carmer and Grit, #1)
  • Roadmarks
  • Inkling
  • Exile for Dreamers (Stranje House, #2)