Start by marking “In the Rafters” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Seventeen kidnapped thoroughbreds! Two from the farm next door! What a chance for In the Rafters heroine, Millicent Webb, to fulfill a lifelong dream and become a real-life detective-amateur style! And romance-is that in the offing too? Will a handsome stranger ride into Millicent's life? Or perhaps she'll ride into his. And will they then together attempt to solve the cri ...more
Published November 19th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about In the Rafters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Rafters

Jordi
*I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

I like to break up my more intense reading with a lighter mystery novel every once in a while. However, this was perhaps not the best choice for that. While the book certainly did entertain me, it was not something that I actively wanted to read, and so it took me over two months to finish.

The book centers around Millicent Lee Web, a farm owner/horseback rider/English professor/wanna-be mystery author in rural Kentucky. She is in her 40s and unmarried and
John Domenichini
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Rafters

The author introduces the reader to the richness of Kentucky horse culture. I got the feeling that the author knows the world well. It was new to me and very interesting.

The book is particularly good at presenting underlying tension in social situations. Reminds me of Edith Wharton and Jane Austen, especially in the early sections of the book where the protagonist, Millicent, interacts with Claire.

The book appears to be self-published, so there are more typos than you might see in
Laurie
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for a review.

This story is about a murder mystery in the horse racing world. Millicent and Lute are the main characters. She is an educator and Lute is a famous in the racing community who resembles Clark Gable. The murder mystery surrounds Millicent's friend, Jimmy Joyce Carstairs, a famous author who is hit by a car. Plus, a mystery of the stolen money making horses.

PROS: The plot is really, really good. I have never read a book with a plot such as this set in
Rita
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me awhile to begin reading this book that I won from Goodreads, because it has been a very busy summer. When I began reading "In the Rafters", it was a little slow to grab me. Maybe just a little too many details in the lives of extremely rich horse breeders, and ranchers. About halfway through the book, it became more interesting, and I spent longer periods of time reading. I enjoyed the mystery very much, but not all the details of how the characters dress, what jewelry went with each ...more
Linda Marie Marsh
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author, Glenna Masons roots are showing....yep, and she should be damn proud of the fact! A true Kentucky novelist....
A fun, easy reading story,revolving around the main character- Millicent. She's something of a mystery buff and delves into the abduction of thoroughbred horses from local farms. In The Rafters has a great mix of mystery, love, AND! horses. Makes the reader wish that they could somehow become a part of the community and befriend the characters!
mandy roush
Jun 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too old fashioned

I only gave this one star because I could not get through this book. I had to look twice to see where the location was set it read like it was set in Victorian England. I wouldn't mind that at all as long as I know that from the beginning. I think it may have been good but I just couldn't get past the language knowing the setting is in Kentucky.
Michael Hardesty
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Mason spins an interesting tale of Bluegrass intrigue — and a little romance — from the pen of one obviously familiar with the culture of horse country.
Marilyn
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

the story that is one that about how the horse racing community in Kentucky .it has many old families and there homes and farmers featured.
Savanna Looney
Mar 18, 2016
Melody
May 23, 2016
Glenna Mason
Dec 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Frederick Rotzien
Cathy
Phyllis Krall
Deborah
  • Koins Motel
  • Too Hot to Handel (John Pickett Mysteries, #5)
  • Murder at Abu Simbel
  • Behind Every Door
  • Grilled For Murder (Country Store Mysteries, #2)
  • Antiques & Avarice
  • A Mother's Day Murder (Mt. Abrams Mystery, #1)
  • The Women in the Woods
  • Cotton: A Novel (Clarkeston Chronicles, #2)
  • A Desperate Escape (Order of the MoonStone #3)
  • Breach of Trust: A Laura Paige Murder Mystery
  • The Quilt Ripper (Miranda Hathaway Adventures #1)
  • Major Crimes
  • Mortal Fall (Glacier Mystery #2)
  • A Hand In Love and Murder (Fire In My Heart, #4)
  • Priced to Kill (Cindy York #2)
  • CatBook
  • Punk Charming
Glenna Mason is the pen name of Glenna Mason Pope Harris. She was fondly called Glenna Mason in her hometown of Richmond, Kentucky, the setting of her six (so far) mystery romances. The first of her mystery/romances,
IN THE RAFTERS
A MILLICENT/LUTE MYSTERY/ROMANCE,
is now available on kindle and Amazon print. Glenna is also concentrating on her second love (after horses and central Kentucky) and