Start by marking “The Day It Rained Hearts” as Want to Read:
The Day It Rained Hearts

The Day It Rained Hearts

A creative and sweet story, perfect for Valentine's Day, that helps open the hearts of young readers. From the beloved illustrator of If You Gave a Mouse a Cookie.

One day it rains hearts, and Cornelia Augusta catches them. She realizes that the hearts are perfect for making valentines. Each heart is special in its own way, and Cornelia Augusta knows exactly who to send the
Published December 4th 2001 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Day It Rained Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day It Rained Hearts

Start your review of The Day It Rained Hearts
 Jordan
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was 3 I LOVED this book it is my favorite picture book ever!!!
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Cute story for children in celebration of Valentine's Day. It literally is raining hearts!
Nick
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The perfect story to read on Valentine's Day (and we did so this morning), The Day It Rained Hearts tells the sweet story of young Cornelia Augusta (great name) and her desire to make valentines for the special furry friends in her life. The trademark artwork by Felicia Bond brings a welcome sense of youth and home to this story.
Gina
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. Excellent prelude to making Valentine's Day cards.
McKenzie Creagan
This is such a sweet book! One day it decides to rain hearts and a little girl goes out to catch them. She collects many different hearts to send valentines to her friends. The following years, there are no more hearts falling from the sky she she decorates the trees in her neighborhood with a ton of her own hearts. The illustrator of this book is the same one that did "If you give a mouse a cookie", so the illustrations are colorful and detailed throughout the book.
I think that this would be a
Matthew
I guess I wanted to see more about the people Cornelia sent the Valentines to. I did not relate to the end of the book and felt like it was disconnected from the rest of the story. I did not read it to my daughter because I felt like it was a little wordy for a two-year-old. It might be a different reaction if a girl were to be my audience but then again, I'm not sure I would love for my kids to be obsessed with sending out valentines. This book overall was just a little off and ended in a confu ...more
April
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-reads
I read this book with a group of kindergarten friends earlier this week. It's a sweet book about one day when it starts raining hearts, and a little girl gathers them all up and uses them to make valentines. The plot was engaging, yet easy to follow. The illustrations were beautifully done. And it prompted good classroom discussion. My kindergarten friends shared things that they wished it would rain, and we predicted who the valentines were for. I recommend this one for classroom read alouds, p ...more
SaraKat
A cute valentine's day book. It shows the importance of thinking of others and actually putting work into gifts for others to make them feel special. I like how the homemade gifts were made to feel important over trinkets from the store. I still don't know why it rained hearts that one time, but maybe it was to remind the little girl to go ahead and get busy thinking of her friends! The God of friendship saying 'ahem, ahem' maybe? I thought the illustrations were cute.
Paige
This is a story about the only day it rained hearts. The girl caught then as they came down and thought it must be close to Valentine's Day. She looked at all of her hearts and tried to decide which one best suited each of her friends that she would send them to. She customized it in different ways and sent them out ASAP. I never rained hearts again, but the girl had other ideas to share her love.
Carina Spring
k-2nd grade

This book is about a little girl named Cornelia Augusta. One day when she is walking the sky begins to rain hearts. She takes these hearts and makes special valentines for each of her friends. She continues to do so even though it never rains hearts again.

This book would be great to read around Valentine's Day because it shows that valentines do not just have to be for someone you have a crush on, but rather for all the people in your life that you care about.
Angie
Very sweet book. My major complaint is that a single sentence is spread over multiple pages, making it either really choppy to read as you pause to look at the illustrations (which are telling part of the story that the words are not), or too fast as you flip the pages to keep going with the sentence before the listener forgets what you were saying.
Olivia S

Nothing obviously amazing about this book, but I found it kind of charming in a simple way. It rains hearts one day, and Cornelia catches a bunch of them and makes them into customized valentines. Then she sends them off to her friends, and it never rains hearts again. Weird, but charming. Would display. Simple, not too much text. 3+
Linda Brewer
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect Valentine's Day read-aloud book for grades K-3. You could have students follow the instructions to make the heart valentines Cornelia makes to send to her friends. You could also count the hearts for math problems, or use it as a prompt for students to inspire them to make their own Valentine's Day cards to give to their friends as Cornelia did.
Diana
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, storytime
Odd book. I mean, I liked it, but it was odd. I did enjoy seeing how the hearts turned into valentines that reflected their recipients so well, but the story felt strange and a little choppy. And I'm still not sure what to make of the ending...
Carolyn Jeziorski
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the illustrations in this story. The text is simple—a little girl catches hearts and makes valentines for her friends. I used it as a read aloud and tried to get kids to guess who each valentine might be for.
Karin
Children's literature picture book Valentine's Day
Pk-1

Finally a Valentine's Day book. The raining hearts are turned into thoughtful cards for those dear to Cornelia. Very cute book that made me smile. I'm sure it would make my students smile as well.
Brittany
A cute book about hearts raining from the sky and a little girl gathering them to make valentine's for her friends. Alistair (2) asked for this one at bedtime a lot.
Katy
Possible valentine's day storytime book.
Catherine
Cute story about a girl making valentines for her friends. Young students enjoy it as a read aloud.
PvOberstein
Unlikely to clarify Valentine’s Day for children.
Leslie Bassage Butler
Great for Valentines day retelling of events!
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story and illustrations are so gosh darn cute!
Kareena
Story is cute, but the art is just so small on the page. Used as a story on the wall, it worked, but the kids didn't love it.
Morgan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this today at work to Kindergartners for outreach and it was very sweet. Also appropriate for today specifically because it rained all day long.
Camie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute children’s book for Valentine’s Day.
Kay Mcaloney
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and imaginative story.
Tammie
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Bought this book for Valentine's Day and it was a hit with my Kindergarteners! Great story with cute illustrations.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgtb-school
I'm not sure I understand the concept of raining hearts, I feel I am missing something in terms of the story line but I loved the illustrations. Soft colored pencil drawings.
Jennifer Waller
It definitely not a favorite book. The message is good for children.
Emma
A cute story, but it would have worked better with a preschool crew as far as storytimes go.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • The Biggest Valentine Ever
  • White Snow, Bright Snow
  • Hug Machine
  • If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • Slugs in Love
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Plant a Kiss
  • My New Friend Is So Fun! (Elephant & Piggie, #21)
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • This Book Is Gray
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • No Two Alike
  • Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool
Felicia Bond knew when she was five that she wanted to be an artist when she observed a buttery beam of light coming in her bedroom window. She has illustrated numerous children's books and written many of her own, including Tumble Bumble and Poinsettia and Her Family. She lived for many years in New York and currently lives in New Mexico with her family of cats and a horse named Twister.