Start by marking “Somewhere To Be (2015 Advent Calendar - Sleigh Ride)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere To Be (2015 Advent Calendar - Sleigh Ride)

Somewhere To Be (2015 Advent Calendar - Sleigh Ride)

Jamie Goh’s life took a downturn when he lost his job, and a bad relationship left him disillusioned and afraid to trust again. But his friends and family want to see him happy, even if he’s turned off by the idea of dating. Following a Christmas disaster that proves the UK really can’t handle snow, Jamie discovers not everyone is out to hurt him—and loyalty means somethin ...more
Published November 30th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere To Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere To Be

☆ Todd
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

I found this short 39-page Christmas tale utterly charming.

Jamie is a UK-born half-Chinese man, who's been burned by a controlling cheater and has been reluctant to date since his last relationship ended, nearly a year ago.

Then his roommate sets him up on a blind date, pronounced "ambush", without telling Jamie what he's done.

Nick is a strawberry blond rugby player, with no family to speak of, who's been missing the recently-departed grandmother who raised him. He's also a hulluva nice guy.

I found this short 39-page Christmas tale utterly charming.

As the evening at the pub ends, Jamie and Nick go for a walk, which ends up with the two spending the night together and tentatively agreeing to date.

But asshole ex's are called assholes for a reason and with one short call to Jamie, as he's stuck in traffic driving to pick up his Auntie and grandmother at the airport, major seeds of doubt about Nick are firmly planted, so Jamie calls things off, hoping to avoid the heartache.

However, while snowed in for the night at the airport, Jamie receives a call from the very persistent Nick that changes everything.

To only be a short story, this one was very heart-felt and a bit steamy. It made me smile and I see many more family Christmas's together for Jamie and Nick.

So a solid 4 stars for this anthology story.
Tess
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-romance

In the first half I wish we saw a little more of the guys connecting before they tumbled into bed together. The last half was pretty sweet though.
Denise H.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful holiday short story that pulls your heartstrings. Sweet, cute Asian decent, Jamie, is sad and not in any kind of holiday spirit, because he's been burned in a relationship with his ex. He has a big loving family and people who care. His friends set him up to meet someone when they force him to go out with them to a pub. Nick is a cute, burly redhead and very fun to be with, but is lonely, no family. They hang out, talk, and walk home, deciding to be friends and see where it goes. After ...more
Serena Yates
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, holiday, read-2015
Friends and family can be particularly insistent on seeing “their own” happy, particularly around Christmas. In this story, Jamie has just been through a bad breakup, has had to move back home and work in the family restaurant, and a lot of people worry about him. His parents and mother’s British family know he is gay, but his father’s Malaysian/Chinese family are not yet aware. So when Jamie meets a potential new boyfriend just before his aunt and grandmother fly in for a visit, he is a little ...more
Ann
Oh, I liked this little gem very much. I'll definitely be reading more of this author as soon as she has more out there. The characters were utterly likable and had a good amount of depth given how it's a short story. The author paced it all really well and gave just the right amount of detail.

Dear Amy Yip,

Please write some more words for me to read. I'm a fan.

pleaseandthankyouverymuch,

Love,

Ann
J.J. Carroll
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the diversity in this story. I only wish there had been more.
Anke
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice little Christmas story, meandering along in an engaging way.
Love Bytes Reviews
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Heart Review by Paul

At Christmas I really just want to read some sweet fluff. This story fits that bill.
Jamie Goh, the main character, is rebounding from a bad and emotionally abusive relationship. His roommate and other friends set him up for a blind date. Jamie doesn’t do dates. He’s just content with the life he has now, working at his parent’s restaurant. But deep inside he yearns for a loving relationship. After the night out, Nick, his blind date, and Jamie kiss at the beach in a lovely and romantic s
Melissa Mendoza
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

“He reached up and brushed his fingertips over Nick’s mouth, and followed the soft touch with his lips. Nick groaned and took control of it, pressing back harder and wrapping Jamie up in his arms to keep him warm, driving it home that not every guy was self-serving like Steve.”

4 surprising stars!! Such a cute, heartwarming book!! I loved this book from the start!

Jamie isn’t in the holiday spirit after being burned by his ex. His friends end up setting him up with Nick an adorably red-headed man. Nick too is lonely
Monika
In lieu of writing reviews – I’m taking an extended break – I decided to leave this list showing the reasons for the stars I’ve given to the stories I’ve read.

5 Stars – Given to stories that had me falling in love with the characters, had me so engaged in the plot I couldn’t put the book down and stories that either made me cry buckets and/or laugh until I cried.
4 Stars– Given to stories that I REALLY enjoyed reading but had me wishing for just a bit more.
3 Stars – Given to stories that I thought were worth
Morgan  Skye
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jamie just got out of a bad relationship when he gets set up with Nick on a blind date. They end up hitting it off. When Jamie winds up stuck at the airport Nick saves the day, but… it turns out Nick knows/dated Jamie’s evil ex… Jamie isn’t so sure he’s ready to date and he’s really not sure he wants someone who dated his evil ex…

This was very sweet, fairly fast moving and had a lovely HFN. It had a nice little bit of cultural nuance (British and Malay Chinese) and some
Beacullen
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Jamie is reluctant to start any type of relationship with any guy after being treated so badly by his ex. Then he meets Nick and realizes that wont be easy to resist. Nick is a great guy, fun, caring, the exact opposite of his ex. Or so he thinks until his ex casts doubt on him. I liked this story, and both characters. The secondary characters were very good too. Another author to add to the list :)
Lynnette Hartwig
This was another amazing story in Dreamspinner’s Advent Calendar and by a new author for me (and she does have any other books out yet). I really hope to see more stories from this author because this story was an amazing, sweet and the characters were complex and lovable. There was also diversity in the story and it was great to see how other nationalities react to gays and their rights.

I received a free copy of this book to read for Inked Rainbow Reads in exchange for an honest rev
Mike
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars - jilted Chinese delivery guy is delivered to his family by the sweet but lonely fair-haired British bloke

Sweet and short, it covers a nice range of blind date, past relationship and family traumas, and semi-closeted to the traditional Chinese family all in a quick and easy read. A nice HFN highlighting the fact that nice guys don't always finish last.
Brandilyn
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, read-2015, mm
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

Somewhere To Be is a charming tale of a Christmas setup going completely right. Jamie and Nick are meant to be. Jamie may not see it from the beginning, but Nick certainly does.

For full review see Prism Book Alliance® http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?p=4...

Suze
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short sweet and well put together story.
I liked Jamie's mad friends and family.
I liked that it was set in the UK.
I liked Nick and Jamie together, even their drama wasnt overdone and was resolved quickly.
Lucy
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
My only question was how did Steve find out Jamie was seeing nick?
jules0623
Leni
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Katy Beth Mckee
This story seemed like the perfect break from the Christmas prep. It's wonderful when you meet someone new and they turn out to be one of the good guys. This was a happy holiday read.
France-Andrée