Start by marking “Land of Silence” as Want to Read:
Land of Silence

Land of Silence

Before Christ called her daughter . . .

Before she stole healing by touching the hem of his garment . . .

Elianna is a young girl crushed by guilt. After her only brother is killed while in her care, Elianna tries to earn forgiveness by working for her father’s textile trade and caring for her family. When another tragedy places Elianna in sole charge of the business, her ta
Published May 1st 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers

Shantelle
Tessa Afshar writes such marvelous stories! I haven't loved all her novels, but I feel Bread of Angels and now Land of Silence are absolutely incredible. The writing style, the characters and the authenticity of their world, the faith ... it all draws me in and I find myself hardly able to put the book down! Ah, I was so excited to read another book by this author, and Land of Silence did not disappoint. Tessa Afshar, along with Connilyn Cossette, is a master at writing Biblical historical novel ...more
Chantel
 photo photostudio_1494050720302_zpsfjjeu3xq.jpg

Land of Silence was an excellent book. I was drawn to this story for a few reasons; One, It was written by Tessa Afshar! Two, The main character is based on one of my favorite accounts of Jesus, the woman with the issue of blood. Tessa did a wonderful job of fleshing out the back story of this woman. Which in itself is so amazing, because there was so limited info about the woman. I guess that's where prayer and creativity comes in. :-)
Tessa really captured the history, Law, and culture of the
Beth
I am very particular about the authors that I follow when it comes to Biblical fiction. Tessa Afshar is one author whose books I will always pick up and expect to be enthralled by the story. Land of Silence grabbed my heart from page one. She created a provocative, engrossing story for the woman with the issue of blood. When I first heard that this would be the basis for her new book, I admit, I did wonder how she was going to make it work. I wasn’t worried, of course, but I did wonder how she w ...more
Staci
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Tessa Afshar is such a talent with Biblical Fiction. This beautifully told story was filled with hardship. I thought of Job as I read Elianna's story. The length of time and magnitude of tragedies were well beyond what the average person could endure. Elianna is a character to revere. Likewise, for the main male character Ethan. Ethan was a compassionate, loving and strong man.

I highly recommend this novel for fans of Biblical Fiction.
Natalie Vellacott
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of Christian historical fiction. It tells the story of the woman subject to bleeding for 12 years mentioned in 3 of the Gospel accounts. Most of the details are obviously fictional as we know little about her other than her medical condition and Jesus' healing of her.

The story was full of twists and turns and kept my interest. It was easy to read with explanations for all of the cultural issues that arose in the narrative.

The book is mostly clean--free of bad language, there
Emilee
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not being fan of Biblical fiction in the past, I was skeptical when I picked up this book but I loved it! The author did such a beautiful job bringing the setting and characters to life! The spiritual aspects are so touching. This novel is wonderful. I highly recommend it!
Dan Curnutt
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is quite frankly one of the best historical novels that I have ever read. I think what makes this so good is that Tessa Afshar was born in Iran, grew up in a nominal Muslim Family and later moved to the West and came to know Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior.

She brings a very fresh look at Biblical stories and also brings a great understanding of Anthropology and Sociology in regards to the Biblical Times when Jesus Christ walked the shores of Galilee.

In this story we trace the life of a
Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)
Rich in descriptive prose and emotionally supercharged, Tessa Afshar’s latest novel Land of Silence takes biblical fiction to new heights. Derived from a story that graces three of the four canonical gospels, Afshar puts flesh and bone on the woman with the issue of blood. Elainna’s story proclaims how we all possess worth in Christ and by Him we are made whole and well.

Following the death of her brother, 16 year old Elianna becomes imprisoned by her shame as well as her father’s grief. Like qui
Nora St Laurent
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story grabbed my heart from the beginning, “When I think of the ruin my life has become, the slow wrecking of the dreams, the destruction of every love, I always return to the bee. That one tiny sting, which robbed my place of favor in my father’s heart and changed the course of my destiny.”

Oh, wow, I was hooked. This author pens a compelling thought-provoking novel that encouraged and touched my soul. I like the author notes to readers when she shares that nothing is known about the woman
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have always stayed away from reading biblical fiction because I didn't want it to skew how I read the Bible. I am so glad I read this though and look forward to reading more. I came away with a better understanding of the cultures and laws that varied between the Jews and Romans. It taught me a lot about the work that went into dyeing and creating fabrics. It was all very fascinating. Although, I found the middle of the story to slow down in pace, I appreciated that the author took the time to ...more
Lydia Dyslin
Land of Silence is by Tessa Afshar.

I decided to pick up this book after I saw a book signing event with Afshar that was happening in my area. Unfortunately, I was going on vacation on the day it was happening, but I still finished the book.

I liked the cameo with Lydia (seller of purple cloth!). I was named after this Bible character and I think she's a great role model. So reading about her was fun. I also liked Joanna being in there because my little sister is named after her, although I di
Hilary
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great offering from the writer of Pearl in the Sand. Tessa Afshar has taken the short reference to the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years, and given this woman a name, a life and a story. Now her name is Elianna, favored by God, but instead of God's favor, Elianna feels cursed. Her young life is full of guilt, sorrow, and rejection from the people who mattered the most, and even running her father's workshop, creating new designs and sourcing new dyes, can only dull the pain.

As
Allison Tebo
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-fic, own
4 1/2 stars.

Content: Near rape scene. The MC is grabbed and groped. There are several scenes of one jerk forcing her to kiss and being rough with her. Lots of angst, sorrow and loss. Stressful scenes involving Elianna’s illness, barbaric treatments for it and several skimmed over physical examinations.

Note: I did feel there was historical inaccuracy in how Elianna and Ethan kissed/hugged/cuddled before marriage. While a Jewish betrothal meant much more than the weddings engagements that we are
Margaret
Not often do I give a book 5 stars but this one book was so intriguing, captivating and so touching. I have always been curious about the woman with the issue of blood who was healed simply by touching Jesus' robe. The author did a superb job of using fact and blending "what could have happened" without losing spiritual integrity. I think that I have found a Christian author who writes with a depth that I enjoy, especially Christian fiction.
Libby May
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The minutes after I finished this book it was five stars, but I didn't get to review it right away and took a day to think it over. It lowered to four stars, but still a good book.

•Things I liked
I liked Ethan. So much. He's perfection.
I liked Joseph too, even though we only knew him for like the first chapter.
I liked the era and the way that the surroundings were written. I felt like it was actually a real place. Which it was. XD
I liked the healing. I loved Jesus. I wish he was in this book m
~Bellegirl91~
I read this book as a recommendation all because a friend of mine said that I should read this book and she seemed pretty adamant that I did and I ended up ordering a used (and very good) copy of it from thriftbooks online and I'm so glad I didn't wait to put this book on hold for so long and picked it up when I did. I loved loved LOOOOVED this book so much and did some serious binge reading too. But I have to say my friend was amazing enough to truly recommend this to me and I'm truly glad she ...more
Joleen
After reading one Tessa Afshar book that I enjoyed, I decided to pick up another, not realizing I had digitally borrowed the audio version of Land of Silence . But since I had, I want to say kudos to the narrator. Pleasant voice, and it was read so well. I could envision each character clearly, and each inflection and emotion were true to the book's intention. I'd definitely listen to Suzy Jackson again, happily.

The story was about the life of young Jewish girl in Judea, Elianna, from age 18 to
C.E. Hart
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-fiction
If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. (Psalm 94:17 ESV)

Land of Silence is the first book I’ve read by Tessa Afshar. Her writing style is superb, and she moves the story forward with purpose and an elegant smoothness.

Although little is said in the Gospels about the woman with the twelve-year bleeding issue, Ms. Afshar gives a compassionate, fictional account of her life prior to the miracle of healing that occurred as she reached out in faith a
Christian Fiction Addiction
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Tessa Afshar has long been one of my favourite authors, and so I met the news of her latest novel, "Land of Silence", with excitement. And let me tell you that this novel certainly lived up to my expectations! I have long been fascinated by the Biblical account of Jesus healing the woman who had been bleeding for 12 years, but I've never spent much time thinking about how she came to the place of reaching out in the crowd to touch Jesus' cloak, desperate for a healing. Afshar has succeeded at br
Nicole
This is one of the most beautiful novels I have ever read. God is SO much more than my puny brain could ever comprehend. What a perfect, well-written story. I most appreciate that something that takes a few lines in the Bible has now be blown wide open. God is love. This book is amazing. I highly recommend this novel.
Caroline
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audiobook, favorites
My first biblical fiction and I absolutely loved it. What an amazing author!

I enjoyed Afshar's description of the time and place, the textile trade & dyes and also the way different sections of the society viewed each other. It is interesting to read about Jesus from the perspective of his contemporary, even though it is fictional.

I expected the book to be a tearjerker and it is. The story starts with a low and when things starts looking up, there is another blow and the pattern repeats for
Rissa
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Where a womans word means nothing she will be heard.
Tima
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elianna's past is marked with tragedy and sorrow. She makes the ultimate sacrifice to save the life of her fiance, but looses him in the process. Now she's years into a debilitating disease the robs her of strength and human contact. She's tried every doctor and has almost completely exhausted her resources. Her last hope is this strange man reported to heal people. Elianna knows that she is unclean. But if she can just touch Him, she hopes that she'll be relieved of her physical burden.

Afshar i
Andi
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2016
The story of the woman who bled for 12 years is my absolute favorite miracle in the Bible. In her fifth book Tessa takes what little is known about her prior to being healed and creates a life around her, gives her a name, Elianna which means favored by God. She is the only one called Daughter by the Master. When she touched the hem of His garment she was healed physically, and spiritually. The writing was so visual that I felt as if I was in Galilee watching from above.
This story is special to
Becky Van Daniker
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m skeptical when it comes to Biblical fiction because I don’t like being confused by the Scriptures being taken out of context or moved around to better the story, as well as all of the added detail that isn’t found in the Bible itself. Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar did not disappoint. In fact, this is the first novel that I have read by her and it most certainly won’t be my last.

This story is engaging, raw, and beautiful all at the same time. When I found out that the author was writing abo
Cindy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly, creative, imaginative novel based on Biblical characters whose names appear in the Bible with little background descriptions. The author gives us her own descriptions of their daily lives and backgrounds perfectly blending this with story lines from the Bible. I absolutely love this author's books! A must read!
Sally Poyzer
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is well written and helps you really imagine what it might have been like for the woman who reached out and touched Jesus. The characters are convincing and the story line is not what you'd expect. Another masterful tale from the very talented Tessa Afshar! I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good story set in Biblical times.
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story!! Ms. Afshar did an excellent job as usual. Elianna's story is a sad one in many ways, but is redeemed by Jesus' healing & love.
Ane Mulligan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it!! Tessa Afshar makes the characters from the Bible come alive in her fiction. I had to set the book down to meet a deadline, but picked it up again and finished it in two afternoons.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 6 Jun 25, 2018 10:23AM
Christian Fiction...: Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar - April Group Buddy Read 48 57 May 15, 2017 04:00PM
  • Shadow of the Storm (Out From Egypt, #2)
  • Love in a Broken Vessel (Treasure of His Love)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • A Stray Drop of Blood (A Stray Drop of Blood #1)
  • A Passionate Hope: Hannah's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #4)
  • David and Bathsheba
  • Martha
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)
  • He Who Lifts the Skies (Genesis, #2)
Tessa Afshar is an award-winning author of historical and biblical fiction. Her novel, Land of Silence, won an Inspy award, and was voted by Library Journal as one of five top Christian Fiction titles of 2016. It was also nominated for the 2016 RT Reviewer’s Choice Award for best Inspirational Romance. Harvest of Gold won the prestigious 2014 Christy Award in the Historical Romance category. Her b ...more
“How great an anguish is hope! For when it disappoints, it ruptures old wounds and gouges out new ones, so that you are left worse off than when you began.” 2 likes
“How can you be so accepting? How is it that you are not screaming with frustration?"
"I've been spending more time in prayer. I am learning that obedience to God means that you do not put your eyes on your longings, but instead, you simply place one foot ahead of the other into the space that the Lord opens. Tired, wounded, overwhelmed. It does not matter. You merely keep moving where God directs and stop focusing on what you wish you had. It's teaching me patience.”
1 likes