Start by marking “Lead Me Home” as Want to Read:

Lead Me Home

Amid open fields and empty pews, small towns can crush big dreams.Abandoned by his no-good father and forced to grow up too soon, Noble Burden has set his dreams aside to run the family farm. Meanwhile, James Horton, the pastor of the local church, questions his own calling as he prepares to close the doors for good.As a severe storm rolls through, threatening their commun ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Lead Me Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lead Me Home

Start your review of Lead Me Home
Beth
Lead Me Home is the first novel by Amy K. Sorrells that I’ve read so far, but now that I’ve read one of her books, I’m eager to read her previously released novels. I will admit that the story was a bit of a slow start. I wasn’t sure about the pacing of the small-town set novel, I soon found myself invested in these characters and the choices they faced – choices that would affect not only themselves, but everyone around them. Noble Burden has dreams of performing in Nashville, but feels respons ...more
Nora St Laurent
The title Lead Me Home (subtitle: What if all we’re looking for is right where we are?) first caught my eye. I was surprised and hooked to the story after I read the first line, “All at once, the Reverend James Horton understood why Frank Whitmore had killed himself.”

What? I’d never read a book that started out like that. This made me read more. Then I checked out the author note to reader section; she says,”…my heart was … broken for small churches, small towns, and the over looked among us…”It
Amanda Geaney
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Lead Me Home as a message to the church, an S.O.S of sorts. A wake up call for all believers, regardless of denomination, to set aside our petty preferences and preconceived notions of how church should be and start being the Church.

Amy Sorrells descriptive writing planted my feet back in the Indiana soil where I spent my childhood. Not only did it remind me of the sights, smells, and muggy weather of home, it also had a way of weaving these characters into my heart. I am keenly familiar
Carissa (also The Regency Woman)
My feelings about this book are complicated. Lead Me Home will really only appeal to readership that wants Bible verses quoted every chapter, enjoys a passive writing style with little dialogue, and has personally experienced the death pangs of a small town church as the people leave for greener pastures. I don't fit into any of these categories and so I really had nothing to keep me reading, although I did keep reading.

To be fair, I liked all of the lead characters. Grief has a funny way of man
Jill
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story of pain, loss, love and redemption. This book reaches in and speaks to you. It is raw, real and Christian without being forced.
James recently lost his wife to a car accident. His small church is shutting down. His teenage daughter Shelby is struggling with losing her mother and her faith in God. James is questioning God in the face of all these issues.
Noble is running the farm his abusive father ran out on, taking care of his mother and disabled brother when Nashville comes calling.
Noble
Beckie Burnham
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book I read by Amy K. Sorrells, How Sweet The Sound, made a big impression on me. I knew that after reading it, I would have to get busy and dig into her other books. So on my recent spring break trip I decided to take Lead Me Home along. I am so very glad I did! Lead Me Home is a complex novel full of wonderful characters that grab and sometimes break your heart. Set in a small Indiana farming town, this book examines things we lose — people, purpose, dreams. While it could easily hav ...more
Teresa Merriman
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it!
Cara Noyes
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! I love how the pastor, James, is portrayed: humanly flawed, filled with grief and doubt, yet willing to listen to God's voice. Noble is a great character, and his last name of Burden was aptly chosen. Set in rural Indiana, the small dairy farm and its struggles are central to the plot. This is a story of people torn apart and a community coming together.
Christine Dillon
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story especially the descriptions and story of life in a small town. I also liked the struggles of Pastor James. Real life struggles.
The ending seemed rushed and one of the love stories seemed way too rushed.
I will read more of this author's work.
Cindi
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. It definitely has a slower pace to go along with the small town atmosphere.
Sadly, the local small church is about to close its doors due to decreased attendance and financial issues. This story really hits home as I see so many churches struggling to keep afloat.

Sometimes it takes something devastating to make us appreciate what we have. The story brings to light the everyday work that is involved in small town living. Everything from farming to preaching has it's ups and
Teresa Kander
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-mennonite
This book is an incredible story of doubt, despair, family, faith, hope and grace. While it is primarily the story of the Burden and Horton families, it is also the story of the entire town of Sycamore, Indiana.

Noble Burden has a dream of being a famous country singer, but he has shelved it to run the family dairy farm and care for his mother and brother after his father left town. James Horton, pastor of a local church and single father to a teenage daughter since the death of his wife in a ca
Heather Mauriello
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the story, but I didn't love it as much as Amy's first 2 books. Not sure if it's the characters, the setting, or where I am in life, that made it less memorable to me. The story is a kind of mourning of what is happening to small farming or manufacturing towns all over America, maybe inevitable, but difficult all the same. As a city-raised girl who visited farms every summer, I related to both the small town folks and the cities that drew them away. I like that the ending is hap ...more
Sharon
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My second book by this author in two weeks! Yes, I like her! It’s not a fun and easy read but I learned a lot spiritually and about farming. Dairy farming that is. I’m increasing prayer for my pastors too.
We don’t know if we are where we should be in life. We get our faith tested. But hopefully we learn and grow in these situations.
Daphne Self
What started off as a strong novel quickly gave way to something less than stellar.
The novel kept my interest for a little over halfway. After that I found myself skimming. When I read the back book cover it talked about a storm and I thought that would play a pivotal role in the book. Sadly it did not. The storm was there, but it was downplayed and not enough that warranted a mention on the book blurb.
I did like Noble, but Shelby seemed too one dimensional. I would have preferred that her chara
Lori Wasson
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve got to love any book set in Indiana, my current home state! We’ve got several subplots going on, with James dealing with the closing of his small church, Noble pondering his future in the music industry, and Shelby struggling with the death of her mother.

Some many things to like about this story and the characters. I especially liked the character of Eustace. He is doesn’t speak and as a result, he is often overlooked and mocked, but he ends up doing some wonderful, surprising things in thi
Valerie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished Lead Me Home by Amy K Sorrells at 2:45 this morning because I just couldn't put it down. This isn't a light, humorous book but it is a book of truths. It's about endings. It's about heartache. It's about feeling like you can't find God and not seeing His grace and mercy even though it is right there. It's about disappointments in life and misery...but it's also about grasping onto that faith that you fear you lost because you can't help not hanging on. Ultimately, it's about the power ...more
Beverly
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author, Amy Sorrells writes deep. Her stories show hard hurts and sometimes I can only chew on certain parts at a time. This novel was such. And through it all I appreciate that light overtakes darkness. There is hope in the midst of what we deal with.

I hope to be reading her novels for years to come. I appreciate how she has me dwelling on such thoughtful subjects. Some may think is an ending but God says otherwise.
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book of Amy K. Sorrells. It won't be my last. With deft simplicity of prose, Amy Sorrells weaves a story that explores important issues of today with a filter of faith and hope. The truths in this story, told with an understated richness, will linger in my thoughts a long, long time.

This is my first book of Amy K. Sorrells. It won't be my last.
Sherlyn K. Anderson
Wow! Amazingly Wonderful! A++++++

Soooo... good I will read again!I A lot of unexpected twists and turns she keeps you guessing!!! The story, plot, characters, and everything all flow and work together just right .... But not so much that you will know what the one will do.... M..www...hhhh... Hhhh..aaahhhaaaa!!!!!!!
Betty Holland
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Book Club selection for Sept 2019 by Marth.
Katie Powner
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Amy Sorrells book. For fans of Chris Fabry and Charles Martin.
Fiction Aficionado
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel was a little slow to get started, with the first 20% or so setting the scene and filling the reader in on the background to the story and its characters. That being said, there was a kind of soothing lilt to the writing and a nostalgic quality to many of the reflections that quietly drew me in to the characters’ lives, even as I wondered when the story would really start to go somewhere.

The novel opens with Reverend James Horton being informed that the bank is foreclosing on the churc
Nyla
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Lead Me Home (What if all we’re looking for is right where we are?)" by author Amy K. Sorrels is a 385 page contemporary Christian novel. This paperback is published by Tyndale House Publishers and is the first book I have read by author Sorrells.

The storyline is well thought and planned. It is organized and flows smoothly making it easy to understand. Her characters are realistic and seem like people you know from a small rural area. They have personality and some are so lovable while others a
Lisa Johnson
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Lead Me Home
Author: Amy K. Sorrells
Pages: 384
Year: 2016
Publisher: Tyndale
My rating is 5 stars.
I began reading this author’s books when I first read How Sweet the Sound followed by Then Sings My Soul and now Lead Me Home. Each is a title of a hymn and each novel contains a heartfelt story that can be read as stand-alone books. I started this book in the early evening and read all the way to the end because my heart was lost in the story; I was so engrossed at times I felt as if my heart wa
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Amy K. Sorrells

He thought he was doing God's will, until his life started coming apart. Who ministers to the minister when he needs an ear to hear his pain? For more 20 years James Horton has been leading the Sycamore Community Church and over the last few they have slowly been trickling away to the grand mega church just down the way.

Time has run out on the church James has called home, the bank loan has come due and there is nothing he or anyone can do. With weeks left before th
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

3.5 Stars
Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None
Violent Content: None

James Horton, pastor of Sycamore Community Church, is having a crisis of faith. What does a pastor do when his church closes? He’s afraid of what his future holds without a wife and with a daughter who grows more distant each day. And Noble Burden dreams of playing music instead of milking cows on the family farm and watching out for his developmentally disabled brother.

This story chronicles the lives of b
Phillip Cole
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Why does the grass look greener on the other side of the fence? Why do our plans and dreams fall apart? What if we are looking in the wrong place and missing what is right in front of us? In Lead Me Home, Amy K. Sorrells writes how not just a few people, but a community learned how God wants us to live and work together.

James is facing the closing of the church he pastors, and is till dealing with the death of his wife and the change he's seen in his daughter. Noble has had to grow up early beca
Gail Hollingsworth
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a story that truly warmed my heart. The characters were so real, people I could see myself being friends with, caring about and holding my breath when they were in peril. Their problems were real and believable. Some I could identify with, some I knew others had gone through in real life. All these factors make for a good book that I found hard to put down, and only did when my eyes wouldn't stay open any longer at night.
Noble and Shelby both had lost parents, his to his father leaving
Nancee
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the premise of this story very familiar, having grown up in the country, surrounded by small farms and small churches. Life was tough and the farm work long and arduous. Nonetheless, farmers and their families persevered through numerous hard times. I loved the realism portrayed in Lead Me Home. This book is honest, earthy and not sugarcoated. It represents what farm families did with what they had.

The characters are depicted as typical, rural people. Every type of individual is portraye
Deana Dick
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What does a pastor do when he realizes that the building he calls "church" is falling apart around him? The church is over a hundred and fifty years old and needs major repairs. Pastor James knows there are not enough funds to do repairs. His only choice it seems is to auction off Sycamore Community Church . He knew the church attendance had declined over the years, which made it difficult to raise money for repairs. Oh how my heart cried as I began to read this moving story. I know it's a build ...more

• All Manner of Things
  • Under a Cloudless Sky
  • Long Way Gone
  • Where Hope Begins
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • If I'm Found (If I Run, #2)
  • Scars Like Wings
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • Above the Fold
  • A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)
  • When Crickets Cry
  • The Forgiving Hour
  • The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts, #1)
  • Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass (Exotic Pet-Sitter #1)
  • The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise
  • Everything Must Change
  • 5 Steps to a 5: AP U.S. Government & Politics 2019
A long time believer in the power of story to change lives, Amy got her start in journalism and medical writing. Her work has been featured in a wide array of publications including newspapers and medical journals. Her novels have been shortlisted for the 2014 Inspy awards, semi-finalists for the ACFW Genesis awards, and a winner of the 2011 Women of Faith writing contest.

An Indianapolis native an