Start by marking “Lead Me Home” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Amid open fields and empty pews, small towns can crush big dreams.Abandoned by his no-good father and forced to grow up too soon, Noble Burden has set his dreams aside to run the family farm. Meanwhile, James Horton, the pastor of the local church, questions his own calling as he prepares to close the doors for good.As a severe storm rolls through, threatening their commun ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Lead Me Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lead Me Home

Beth
Lead Me Home is the first novel by Amy K. Sorrells that I’ve read so far, but now that I’ve read one of her books, I’m eager to read her previously released novels. I will admit that the story was a bit of a slow start. I wasn’t sure about the pacing of the small-town set novel, I soon found myself invested in these characters and the choices they faced – choices that would affect not only themselves, but everyone around them. Noble Burden has dreams of performing in Nashville, but feels respons ...more
Nora St Laurent
The title Lead Me Home (subtitle: What if all we’re looking for is right where we are?) first caught my eye. I was surprised and hooked to the story after I read the first line, “All at once, the Reverend James Horton understood why Frank Whitmore had killed himself.”

What? I’d never read a book that started out like that. This made me read more. Then I checked out the author note to reader section; she says,”…my heart was … broken for small churches, small towns, and the over looked among us…”It
Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)
I read Lead Me Home as a message to the church, an S.O.S of sorts. A wake up call for all believers, regardless of denomination, to set aside our petty preferences and preconceived notions of how church should be and start being the Church.

Amy Sorrells descriptive writing planted my feet back in the Indiana soil where I spent my childhood. Not only did it remind me of the sights, smells, and muggy weather of home, it also had a way of weaving these characters into my heart. I am keenly familiar
Carissa
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
My feelings about this book are complicated. Lead Me Home will really only appeal to readership that wants Bible verses quoted every chapter, enjoys a passive writing style with little dialogue, and has personally experienced the death pangs of a small town church as the people leave for greener pastures. I don't fit into any of these categories and so I really had nothing to keep me reading, although I did keep reading.

To be fair, I liked all of the lead characters. Grief has a funny way of man
Jill
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story of pain, loss, love and redemption. This book reaches in and speaks to you. It is raw, real and Christian without being forced.
James recently lost his wife to a car accident. His small church is shutting down. His teenage daughter Shelby is struggling with losing her mother and her faith in God. James is questioning God in the face of all these issues.
Noble is running the farm his abusive father ran out on, taking care of his mother and disabled brother when Nashville comes calling.
Noble
Beckie Burnham
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book I read by Amy K. Sorrells, How Sweet The Sound, made a big impression on me. I knew that after reading it, I would have to get busy and dig into her other books. So on my recent spring break trip I decided to take Lead Me Home along. I am so very glad I did! Lead Me Home is a complex novel full of wonderful characters that grab and sometimes break your heart. Set in a small Indiana farming town, this book examines things we lose — people, purpose, dreams. While it could easily hav ...more
Cara Noyes
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! I love how the pastor, James, is portrayed: humanly flawed, filled with grief and doubt, yet willing to listen to God's voice. Noble is a great character, and his last name of Burden was aptly chosen. Set in rural Indiana, the small dairy farm and its struggles are central to the plot. This is a story of people torn apart and a community coming together.
C.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. It definitely has a slower pace to go along with the small town atmosphere.
Sadly, the local small church is about to close its doors due to decreased attendance and financial issues. This story really hits home as I see so many churches struggling to keep afloat.

Sometimes it takes something devastating to make us appreciate what we have. The story brings to light the everyday work that is involved in small town living. Everything from farming to preaching has it's ups and
Teresa Kander
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an incredible story of doubt, despair, family, faith, hope and grace. While it is primarily the story of the Burden and Horton families, it is also the story of the entire town of Sycamore, Indiana.

Noble Burden has a dream of being a famous country singer, but he has shelved it to run the family dairy farm and care for his mother and brother after his father left town. James Horton, pastor of a local church and single father to a teenage daughter since the death of his wife in a ca
Heather Mauriello
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the story, but I didn't love it as much as Amy's first 2 books. Not sure if it's the characters, the setting, or where I am in life, that made it less memorable to me. The story is a kind of mourning of what is happening to small farming or manufacturing towns all over America, maybe inevitable, but difficult all the same. As a city-raised girl who visited farms every summer, I related to both the small town folks and the cities that drew them away. I like that the ending is hap ...more
Sharon
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My second book by this author in two weeks! Yes, I like her! It’s not a fun and easy read but I learned a lot spiritually and about farming. Dairy farming that is. I’m increasing prayer for my pastors too.
We don’t know if we are where we should be in life. We get our faith tested. But hopefully we learn and grow in these situations.
Daphne Self
What started off as a strong novel quickly gave way to something less than stellar.
The novel kept my interest for a little over halfway. After that I found myself skimming. When I read the back book cover it talked about a storm and I thought that would play a pivotal role in the book. Sadly it did not. The storm was there, but it was downplayed and not enough that warranted a mention on the book blurb.
I did like Noble, but Shelby seemed too one dimensional. I would have preferred that her chara
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book of Amy K. Sorrells. It won't be my last. With deft simplicity of prose, Amy Sorrells weaves a story that explores important issues of today with a filter of faith and hope. The truths in this story, told with an understated richness, will linger in my thoughts a long, long time.

This is my first book of Amy K. Sorrells. It won't be my last.
Fiction Aficionado
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel was a little slow to get started, with the first 20% or so setting the scene and filling the reader in on the background to the story and its characters. That being said, there was a kind of soothing lilt to the writing and a nostalgic quality to many of the reflections that quietly drew me in to the characters’ lives, even as I wondered when the story would really start to go somewhere.

The novel opens with Reverend James Horton being informed that the bank is foreclosing on the churc
Nyla
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Lead Me Home (What if all we’re looking for is right where we are?)" by author Amy K. Sorrels is a 385 page contemporary Christian novel. This paperback is published by Tyndale House Publishers and is the first book I have read by author Sorrells.

The storyline is well thought and planned. It is organized and flows smoothly making it easy to understand. Her characters are realistic and seem like people you know from a small rural area. They have personality and some are so lovable while others a
Lisa Johnson
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Lead Me Home
Author: Amy K. Sorrells
Pages: 384
Year: 2016
Publisher: Tyndale
My rating is 5 stars.
I began reading this author’s books when I first read How Sweet the Sound followed by Then Sings My Soul and now Lead Me Home. Each is a title of a hymn and each novel contains a heartfelt story that can be read as stand-alone books. I started this book in the early evening and read all the way to the end because my heart was lost in the story; I was so engrossed at times I felt as if my heart wa
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Amy K. Sorrells

He thought he was doing God's will, until his life started coming apart. Who ministers to the minister when he needs an ear to hear his pain? For more 20 years James Horton has been leading the Sycamore Community Church and over the last few they have slowly been trickling away to the grand mega church just down the way.

Time has run out on the church James has called home, the bank loan has come due and there is nothing he or anyone can do. With weeks left before th
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

3.5 Stars
Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None
Violent Content: None

James Horton, pastor of Sycamore Community Church, is having a crisis of faith. What does a pastor do when his church closes? He’s afraid of what his future holds without a wife and with a daughter who grows more distant each day. And Noble Burden dreams of playing music instead of milking cows on the family farm and watching out for his developmentally disabled brother.

This story chronicles the lives of b
Phillip Cole
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Why does the grass look greener on the other side of the fence? Why do our plans and dreams fall apart? What if we are looking in the wrong place and missing what is right in front of us? In Lead Me Home, Amy K. Sorrells writes how not just a few people, but a community learned how God wants us to live and work together.

James is facing the closing of the church he pastors, and is till dealing with the death of his wife and the change he's seen in his daughter. Noble has had to grow up early beca
Gail Hollingsworth
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a story that truly warmed my heart. The characters were so real, people I could see myself being friends with, caring about and holding my breath when they were in peril. Their problems were real and believable. Some I could identify with, some I knew others had gone through in real life. All these factors make for a good book that I found hard to put down, and only did when my eyes wouldn't stay open any longer at night.
Noble and Shelby both had lost parents, his to his father leaving
Nancee
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the premise of this story very familiar, having grown up in the country, surrounded by small farms and small churches. Life was tough and the farm work long and arduous. Nonetheless, farmers and their families persevered through numerous hard times. I loved the realism portrayed in Lead Me Home. This book is honest, earthy and not sugarcoated. It represents what farm families did with what they had.

The characters are depicted as typical, rural people. Every type of individual is portraye
Becca
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lead Me Home is a novel about hope when life's circumstances leave you feeling hopeless.

Noble Burden and James Horton are both at the end of their rope. Noble has inherited a farm and responsibility that he never asked for, and Pastor James has lost a wife and is about to lose his church. The small town life they find themselves in seems like a dead end road with nothing to offer. They feel like God is silent when they need Him most. Will they be able to see His grace all around them?

I enjoyed
Deana Dick
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What does a pastor do when he realizes that the building he calls "church" is falling apart around him? The church is over a hundred and fifty years old and needs major repairs. Pastor James knows there are not enough funds to do repairs. His only choice it seems is to auction off Sycamore Community Church . He knew the church attendance had declined over the years, which made it difficult to raise money for repairs. Oh how my heart cried as I began to read this moving story. I know it's a build ...more
Anne Rightler
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lead Me Home by Amy K Sorrells is a wonderful book...a story of grace amidst the storms of life, a story of endings that might be beginnings, a story not soon forgotten. Sorrells has given readers characters that are realistic and evocative...they could be one's neighbors, one's friends. James, a recently widowed pastor, has to face the reality that his church's days are numbered. He is a man who seems to have lost his way and his soul is shadowed by a darkness he cannot shake. Shelby, devasted ...more
Kris
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Amid open fields and empty pews, small towns can crush big dreams.” As people move out of small towns and small farms are forced to merge with bigger ones, those who are left sometimes feel trapped. Noble Burden (and, what an appropriate name!) feels this. Abandoned by his father and left to not only run a dairy with 60 cows needing to be milked twice a day but to also care for his mother and handicapped older brother, he feels old beyond his nineteen years.

Likewise, Reverend James Horton feels
Pam Graber
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic introduction for me to the writing of Amy K. Sorrells!!

Death of a spouse, death of a church and death of a dream combine for a crisis of faith for Rev. James Horton. Still grieving the death of his wife in a car accident, James is further broadsided when the local banker calls in the church loans. What is left for a pastor to live for when his church disintegrates? Can he find the God who called him to ministry in the midst of the mess his life has become?
Noble Burden has a
Helen
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lead me Home, written by Amy K Sorrells, is a story of a young man whose father left the family. Noble has been left to care for the family farm as well as his mother and disabled older brother. Noble had dreams of moving away from home and pursuing his music but when his father left he was forced to take on the family responsibilities.
Meanwhile, Pastor James Horton has been struggling with his own issues. His wife was killed in an accident and his daughter changed as a result of this. She quit
Mariejkt
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Lead Me Home" by Amy Sorrells is a story about Noble Burden and Pastor James Horton realizing that God has not left even though life has thrown them curve balls that they were not expecting. This book was such a well written story that I could not put it down once I started reading it. The story is well developed we see the main characters how they are today and intertwined in the story is some of the back story of how they got to where they are today. I really enjoyed how the book showed that ...more
Robin
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was mad when I first started to read this book. I was mad about the situations these people were in, I was set to not enjoy this book, but just as these characters were set about their frustrations it was all changed.
It was clear that changes would be coming but it just seemed that there was hit after hit as the story dug through the past. I was saddened for them and I felt so close to the "stuck" feelings they had. I pushed onward just as they each had and found hope in the possibilities the
Tammi
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Many people growing up in small towns are always looking for more excitement and adventure than they feel their surroundings can offer. It doesn’t take long after leaving to want that small community comfort back. Readers from small towns and farming communities will feel that familiar comfort while reading, Lead Me Home, by Amy K. Sorrells. People from the city will either not understand, or they too, will long for that sense of community offered in small, rural areas.

This is Amy Sorrells’ thir
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Casting the Net
  • Where Rivers Part (Texas Gold, #2)
  • Burning Proof (Cold Case Justice, #2)
  • On Lone Star Trail (Texas Crossroads, #3)
  • The Legacy (The Restoration Series, #4)
  • Wisdom Tree
  • A Powerful Secret (The Worthington Destiny, #2)
  • Code 13 (The Navy JAG Series, #2)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics #1)
  • Sea Rose Lane (Hope Harbor, #2)
  • Outlaw Trigger (Epic, #2)
  • Back in the Saddle (Double S Ranch, #1)
  • A Bride at Last (Unexpected Brides, #3)
  • Midnight Runner
  • An Unbroken Heart (Amish of Birch Creek #2)
  • Silence in the Dark (Logan Point, #4)
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom, #1)
  • The End of Law: A Novel of Hitler's Germany
A long time believer in the power of story to change lives, Amy got her start in journalism and medical writing. Her work has been featured in a wide array of publications including newspapers and medical journals. Her novels have been shortlisted for the 2014 Inspy awards, semi-finalists for the ACFW Genesis awards, and a winner of the 2011 Women of Faith writing contest.

An Indianapolis native an

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
  • I Know This Much Is True
    $11.73 $2.99
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
    $10.76 $2.99
  • Before I Let You Go
    $10.00 $2.99
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
    $13.00 $2.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand