Start by marking “Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation” as Want to Read:
Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation

Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
By the authors of the bestselling 13th Gen, the first in-depth examination of the Millennials--the generation born after 1982.

"Over the next decade, the Millennial Generation will entirely recast the image of youth from downbeat and alientated to upbeat and engaged--with potentially seismic consequences for America." --from Millennials Rising

In this remarkable account, cer
Published September 5th 2000 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Millennials Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Millennials Rising

JP
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I like most about Millennials Rising is its explanation of the dynamics that influence each generation, in general and with much analysis of Millennials in particular. Howe and Strauss theorize that the generations repeat each other in a cycle of four. Each generation solves the biggest problem facing its immediate predecessor, corrects for the behavioral excesses of the now midlife generation, and fills the social void being left by the current elders. To explain this cycle relative to the ...more
Pam
Dec 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't get through this book. It was a lot of "rah rah the next generation is wonderful" with a lot of random quotes from a lot of varied places that didn't impress me. I totally agree that the next generation is wonderful...that's my kids, but I didn't need over 400 pages to tell me that. I didn't find any practical use for this book and so I finally gave it up.
Carole
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
How could I not like this book? It's about how awesome my generation is. Granted, it gets a little repetitive (the Millenials are awesome! And they're also really awesome! And guess what else! They're really awesome!), but it's a message that I enjoy hearing repeated.

This book was written in 2000 and it's meant to be a profile of what the generation immediately following Generation X is going to be like. The authors' theory is that history goes in cylces and every 4th generation or so sort of r
Corey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Extremely informative book that draws on enlightening sociological research. The authors effectively argue that the Millenial Generation (those born after 1982) is going to be America's next "great generation" because they are rebelling against the pessimism and moral inferiority of their Gen X parents. My one critique of the book is that it's too long and the author's elaborations on research findings are sometimes too lengthy and maybe a bit too speculative. Everyone worried about "today's you ...more
Carmen
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A good textbook to describe the beginnings of the success of my generation.
Phillip Smith
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought this book as a light overview of the most recent 3 generations of the American people: Boomers, Generation X and Millennials, the last including all of us born between about 1982 and 2002. The book is divided into 3 parts, essentially past, present (ie, late 2000, when this was published) and future.

Part 1 is very good, especially learning of the huge shift in America's attitudes towards children that occurred in the 1980s. It made me feel quite sorry for Generation X, who missed out on
Sarah Maddaford
I didn't exactly read the whole book because I got kinda bored with the main text about halfway through. The introduction and comparison of the generations was fascinating. I did read all the quotes and they were very relevant even though some were pretty shocking to me. The idea that my generation is more civic minded than the previous three generations in addition to being the most sheltered is something I have heard before, but never really believed. This book was written and published before ...more
Alex Shrugged
"Millennials Rising" is a follow-up book to "The Fourth Turning" and goes into depth on the up and coming generation. The book was written in 2000 so many of its predictions can be judged in light of what has already happened. It is largely an optimistic book. I was greatly encouraged by it and I discussed some of its elements with my Millennial daughter-in-law. This book describes her so well. She is a real hero... and so corrective at times. It makes me smile.

Jana
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction, work
I originally read this book when I was in grad school for my M.Ed. and just picked it up to reread for a research project I am doing for a GSB class. It feels a little dated now that the oldest Millennials are turning 31 this year. However, Howe & Strauss are cited in every lit review on generations and are widely recognized as the top generational scholars, so it's a must-read if this is a topic that interests you.
Michelle
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was written in 2000. It's almost delightfully dated. There is speculation on Millennials based on their teenage years. Although I like the discussion of how Boomers' parenting (Zero Tolerance) and technology has shaped them, it is badly in need of an update about how this generation has responded to 9/11, the last 2 Wars, the Great Recession, and technology's futher evolution.
Martha
May 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, own
It was somewhat interesting. Some of it comes down a little hard on Gen X, which is kind of hard to swallow as someone firmly within Gen X (which I wasn't quite sure of before I read this). However, as someone who works in university admissions and employs millennials, the insights really hit the mark in places.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Reading this in light of the Occupy movement makes it more interesting. Most of them are Millennial Generation coming of age. This book not one of the best books this duo has written. I believe that the name of this generation may change to the Occupy Generation since they will Occupy the bulk of this generation.
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it

Howe and Strauss profile the Millenial Generation, those people born after 1982, and predict their lives will be more similar to those of the Greatest Generation than those of the immediately preceding generations (13th, Boomer, and Silent).

Anna B
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
After reading multiple books on generations in the workplace this book felt shallow and out of date. Might be a good read for a younger crowd who is just learning about gen-gaps. Definitely not a good book for gen-gap thesis research.
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Here is our future. In the hearts, minds, and capacities of the children of helicopter parents. Not expertly written, but well enough to put the fear of god in you about where these babies of latch-key kids will take us.
Jessie
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
There's much more to learn by watching generations than there is watching age groups. Anyone interested in creating solutions will do better to create for what's coming down the road, rather than what's been, and this book helps provide "what's coming" information.
Jeanne
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me greater hope for the rising Hero Generation. I can see it happening. If you were born around 1982 and on, you might want to read this book about yourself!
Beka
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great Insight on this generation
Claire
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
This scared me, though it held truth.

I decided not to look at contemporary trends any more, since they make me feel uncomfortable.

The research seems at least semi-valid.
Paul
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Further explorations of the authors' thesis in "Generations."
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and social trends.
Miriam
Wes Faulk
Jun 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069
  • Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • How We Got Here: The 70's: The Decade that Brought You Modern Life (For Better or Worse)
  • A History of American Higher Education
  • Total Resistance
  • My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student
  • The Rise and  Fall of the American Teenager
  • Exploring Leadership: For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference
  • A New Religious America: How a "Christian Country" Has Become the World's Most Religiously Diverse Nation
  • No Right to Remain Silent: The Tragedy at Virginia Tech
  • The Essential Foucault: Selections from Essential Works of Foucault, 1954-1984
  • Ad Nauseam: A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture
  • Ethics
  • The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College
  • A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America
  • Balsamic Dreams: A Short But Self-Important History of the Baby Boomer Generation

Nonfiction Deals

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99