Start by marking “Island Life” as Want to Read:
Island Life

Island Life

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Duncan McKenzie is a marine biologist working on a small, sparsely populated island in the Scottish Outer Hebrides. The island has an indigenous population of only six people except for a team of archeology students who are opening up what seems to be an early Neolithic burial mound. Two lighthouse keepers, Dick (a young trainee), and Tom (an old hand with many years of ex ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Spectral Visions

To ask other readers questions about Island Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island Life

Kimberly
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

I love William Meikle's style--this man can write such convincing characters. His work is infused with such originality! I thought this story was captivating from beginning to end. A touch of Lovecraftian homage, combined with Meikle's own voice, makes for a very compelling read. An isolated island is the perfect location for this story of supernatural power. A great first novel to start the New Year out with!

Highly recommended!
Jason Parent
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Creatures infest an island off the coast of Scotland. A fun read with a fascinating back story for the villain. A bit repetitive at times and a little slower than some of his reads, but overall a good story (but not my favorite by him).
Sydney Squidney

It was by sheer force of will that I actually finished Island Life and it has sadly become one of my worst kindle buys.

To be fair, I realise that sometimes a book needs a specific reader... that reader was not me.

Island Life started off okay, but the story was, in my opinion, quickly weighed down when the writing "style" the author adopted quickly became convoluted and the plot just became confusing to me.

I really wanted to like this book, I mean with an island setting, gothic atmosphere and "un
Misty Baker
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it
“Monster” novels are unlike anything else you will read. They do not follow classic literary structures, they are not written with the intention of teaching, and they are not in depth studies of the human psyche. What they are… is pure unadulterated entertainment; penned to make your mind run wild with creepy images and scare the panties off of fully grown men.

“Island Life” by “William Meikle” was most definitely a “Monster” novel.

Living on an island is supposed to be peaceful, but when the resi
Jeff
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Island Life is a pretty calm title for what happens on one of the islands off the coast of Scotland. The Outer Hebrides, also known as the Western Isles, is a series of small rocky islands that have mostly small towns and villages. In some cases, there is just a few local house on some of them, but they do have lighthouses and the keeps that go with them.
Meeting a few of these locals is the basis of Island Life.

Island Life sets up the feel of how calm and possibly lonely a place like that can b
Dylan
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On an isolated Scottish island, an ancient burial site is excavated by a group of students and their professor, the work done against the wishes of the island’s local inhabitants. The locals fear the old stories of demons and horror, but the barrow is opened despite their fears. And their fears are realized. What emerges from the barrow are hungry, blood thirsty monsters, and they swarm the island leaving behind a trail of death and destruction. It’s left to four survivors to face this hell head ...more
Martin Belcher
On a remote island in the Scottish Hebrides an archeological dig opens an ancient burial mound much to the annoyance and protestations of the local population who have an idea nothing good will come of this.....

This is a claustrophobic tale of terror in the good old fashioned style, remote island, small population, isolated, darkness, strange noises, fog, lighthouses, to be honest all the component parts for the recipe for a great horror story. It begins slowly building tension and setting atmos
Dee Dodgson
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a creepy thriller set on a remote island off the coast of Scotland. Farm animals start getting mutilated and their hearts removed, just the odd one to start, but things soon get rather disturbing!
Strange creatures disturbed by an archaelogical student dig, soon become stronger and start picking off the locals, leaving a trail of blood and gore in their wake. It's left up to a few terrified residents to solve the problem, but there's more blood and gore before they can even get anywhere n
Mae Clair
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wish I could say I liked this book, but overall I found it disappointing. The author did a remarkable job of relaying the isolation of the setting, but I just didn’t care for the plot. It wasn’t what I was expecting.

I was particularly bored by the chapters of back story devoted to “creatures” that are unleashed on the island by students during an archaeological dig. In fact, the whole creature concept (or the reason for their existence) didn’t work for me. I also found them kind of blah.

The f
Riju Ganguly
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike other "creature features" that dominate William Meikle's bibliography, this novel tells a very interesting story that happens on a rugged Scottish island. Its protagonists are the usual adorable lot: a mother, a young girl, a brave lad, a determined senior, etc. Its antagonists are the usual despicable lot: cave-dwelling evil creatures. The story is a page-turner, but the device of using various first person narratives fail since all of them sound similar. The only thing new in this novel ...more
Susan
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent gripping read.

The setting was fully described by the author, and each chapter represented a character, each chapter left me wanting more as I was totally gripped.

It was a book that I could not put down; I was drawn in by the wonderful characters, the island and the monsters. I was constantly thinking how is this going to end? At times it was quite scary.
The story flowed and was easy to read, however there were a few Scottish words that I had to look up on my kindle dictionary, but d
Emma Meade
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Meikle beautifully captures the image of an isolated, Scottish island and the quiet pace of life before the peace is so harshly interrupted.
The story starts off slow at first, introducing us to the characters and is told from multiple points of view, including Sam, an ageing sheepdog. Such a focus on characters is reminiscent of Stephen King. One of King’s best attributes as a writer is his ability to portray the people in his stories so vividly. Meikle has the same talent. Once the attacks beg
Adele Clagett
May 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
I read "The Road Hole Bunker Mystery" also by William Meikle and enjoyed that mystery - this one, not so much. "Island Life" started out good (in my opinion), but soon became too far out there. I realize it was a Sci-Fi but I found myself getting confused by the writing style. It repeated scenes so that you could experience them through the eyes of the different characters - that just didn't work for me.
Dawn Judd
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved this book. It was gripping right from the beginning and held on until the end. I loved the way William sprinkled the backstory throughout the book, giving us an inside look at the bad guys. But just enough without taking away the mystery and fear they evoked. Which is of course what I loved most about it. Horror. My favorite genre. This was the first book I read by William Meikle, but I can assure you it won't be the last.
Uncle  Dave Avis
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
pretty good read.
copied: An archaeological expedition is intent on opening an old barrow on a remote island in the Scottish Hebrides despite the reservations of the locals, who all know and fear the old stories. The scientists unleash a colony of murderous monsters from deep under the earth. As the released creatures swamp the island, slaughtering livestock and people alike, the humans must band together to combat it with few resources save their courage and wits.
Aaron
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Decent writing but I never really felt the story was scary. The hero's didn't endear me with there weakness...they just really seemed sort of pathetic. Still it was good for the price and I'm not sorry I read it. I wouldn't have wanted to pay more then I did.
SImon
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovecraft fans will find something to like in this tale of a small community on a island off the Scottish coast falling foul of an ancient curse. A quick, fun pulp read!
Jim
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
This is written in a classic SF/Horror style of 50's B movies. A pretty good read for the first 75% of the book.
J B Angell
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one roller coaster ride from the get go. A great read for a dark stormy Sunday with a couple of nods to the great H.P. Lovecraft thrown in. See if you can spot them.
Alan Mortensen
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2014
  • Hive (Hive, #1)
  • The Old One: A Lovecraft Mythos Novel
  • Interlands
  • Predatory Instinct
  • The Tombs of Eden (Eden Saga, #1)
  • The Altar in the Hills and Other Weird Tales
  • Borealis
  • The Mammoth Book of Body Horror
  • The Sorrow King
  • Deeper
  • Cold Print
  • Whom the Gods Would Destroy
  • The Dealings of Daniel Kesserich
  • The First Bird: Episode 2 (The First Bird, #2)
  • The Call of The Black River
  • Cthulhu Mythos Writers Sampler 2013
  • The Abyss Above Us
  • Black Star Black Sun
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with more than twenty novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries. My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glory.

My
More about William Meikle...