Start by marking “Death Shop: With Hope, Anything is Possible — Or Not” as Want to Read:
Death Shop: With Hope, Anything is Possible — Or Not

Death Shop: With Hope, Anything is Possible — Or Not

The Republic Trust is our protector. Form a single file for the daily 500-calorie feed line, courtesy of Xemura Pharma.

Ailsa Santamaria whores for food on the killing streets of Protectorate 13477 as she struggles to break her daughter Texa's screen addiction. She won't trade control of her mind for a slim chance at a better life. She's not like the others.

But uplift a
Published November 29th 2015 by Cheverer

To ask other readers questions about Death Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Shop

Start your review of Death Shop: With Hope, Anything is Possible — Or Not
OldBird
Feb 26, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF @ 80%

There is definate promise here - a Phillip K. Dick style future dystopia full of misery, strife, pain and confusion for those who inhabit it. Sadly the writing leads to the reader sharing in some of that confusion.

It is made up of short, disjointed chapters where we uncomfortably lurch from dialogue to action. I couldn't always make out what was going on, let alone be sure why. One minutes someone's lying comatose, the next she's up and yelling. Characters are very one dimensional, fli
Cath
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story starts with a destitute mother, Ailsa, sitting on the pavement, in a food line, with her young daughter, Texa, who is only focussed on the big info screens across the road. 500 calorie food packs are being handed out, but only while they last. The food is provided by a big pharmaceutical company, sanctioned by the Republic, who are supposed to be the peoples protector.

Ailsa has to turn tricks to earn vouchers for food and she can’t afford even an audio subscription for the big screens,
Alice
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything is bad in this world. When you open this book, you hook in something terrible, dark, dangerous, where you can’t find any hope or faith in the future. And in this horrible world lives our Ailsa. She’s homeless and she has a daughter. Can you imagine what fight for the best life can pull through a single mother in a world of cruelty? George Donnelly can, and thanks to him we have this incredible book Death Shop.

You shouldn’t expect unicorns, rainbows, and happiness here. It’s more like
Dianna
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Dark and gritty, author George Donnelly’s book Death Shop, drops you in a future right out of your nightmares. Imagine Orwell’s Big Brother making a deal with Big Pharma, and the military. Yeah. It moves fast, from one shocker to the next, as you follow a mother trying to protect her gifted child, from a society where today’s conspiracy theories are her reality. It’s not a horror story. Yet. But it could be,it could be.
This is a great Urban Fantasy/Science Fiction story with a believable paranor
Carla Peñaloza
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It talks about how far a human being can go in order to save the lives of those we love especially in the situation as chaotic as Ailsa's life is. I know what it is to live in despair because I live in a dictatorship in my country Venezuela and I know what the people of my country have to cope with to bring food to the table and survive and that is why this book really touched my heart.
Candy Robosky
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Death Shop is an interesting read. It is very confusing at parts but also makes a lot of sense as the rich and powerful try to control the world and think of the rest of the world as their property to with as they please. I am still very confused as to who were really the parents and who really died or lived versus who were just bots. It was a very quick read though I do wish it had a little more explanation about the different society and what actually happened in parts of the book.
Baron Bruce
In a future dominated by an Orwellian Dystopian world where neighborhoods are strictly monitored and the populace addicted to soap operas broadcast on billboard-sized screens. Ailsa Santamaria and her daughter Texa are homeless and starving. After a run-in at a food line, Ailsa ends up as a prostitute. But things always seem to get better from Texa's perspective.

A fast read. Its pacing is equally swift and consistent. Mr. Donnelly clearly finds his roots in the Orwellian view of the future. The
Ami
Death Shop is a horrific dystopian nightmare with so many twists and turns it seems more like fabric in a fan fold. I was absolutely stunned again and again right through to the end.

I highly recommend it but be prepared for shocking action.

Disclaimer: I received this book as a gift from the author and am voluntarily posting this, my honest review.
Tena
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a commentary, not a review: I was gifted "Death Shop" by the author, George Donnelly. Holy Cow, man, you are one twisted dude! How did you come up with this story? I am so confused. What was real? What was actually happening? Where is the sequel? If I read this again, will I have more clarity? My brain hurts, damn you!
BarbaraH
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strange but good story that keeps you reading
Grady
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Possible future

This is a good book has some slow area but overall it was a good book. I like this author he has written some good books
Robbert
Oct 15, 2017
Kate
Nov 18, 2017
George Donnelly
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)

• The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Snapped (Agent Jade Monroe FBI Thriller, #1)
Former starship redshirt turned rag-clad resistance fighter, George Donnelly is the author of space opera, cyberpunk & post-apocalyptic science fiction series. A single unschooling expat dad, George prefers zombies to aliens but is primed for any meatspace apocalypse minus grey goo. ...more

News & Interviews