Start by marking “Before You Get Engaged” as Want to Read:
Before You Get Engaged

Before You Get Engaged

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Before You Get Engaged offers priceless advice and direction for daters who are considering popping (or answering) the big question. Author and counseling pastor David Gudgel teams with his son, Brent, and Brent's girlfriend, Danielle, using anecdotes, dialogue, and diary entries to discuss the twelve relational indicators indispensable to a healthy, lasting marriage, incl ...more
Published December 30th 2007 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Before You Get Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Get Engaged

Amber B.
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Earlier this year as my then boyfriend and I were contemplating getting engaged, I didn't find the contents of this book totally applicable as everything seemed to be going soothly for us. Then the rocky road arrived. Through a series of events, eventually our relationship came to a close rather than moving forward. So, upon my second read through (over the past few weeks), I gleaned a lot more out of it. Seeing so many things I wish I could go back and change, and do over again. To me, this boo ...more
Tintinrulz
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tintinrulz by: Arlene Laszlo
"Before You Get Engaged" by David Gudgel, is a book concerning the pre-engagement period, not the pre-marriage period. It looks at serious, godly relationships and what makes them work. The book asks couples twelve big questions to think, pray, discuss before diving in deep together.

These include:
1. Would you marry you?
2. Are you all dated out?
3. Are you ready to make a "till death do you part" commitment?
4. Is the timing right?
5. Are you genuinely "in love"?
6. Do you communicate effectiv
Sally Ferguson
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My college age Sunday School class is studying a book called “Before You Get Engaged,” by David Gudgel & Brent Gudgel with Danielle Fitch. It asks interesting questions about couples and how they approach the dating relationship and progress toward marriage. We have been engrossed in the dialogue that results and really learned a lot about ourselves.
As I prepare for class tomorrow, I am a bit bothered by chapter 9, “Are You Better Together Than Apart?”
When I married my Honey almost 22 years
KD Williams
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dating couples, Singles
I found this book a great read given that I am currently engaged. It was written well and was easy to follow. I wish I had read it months ago rather than after getting engaged. This book was still a great help because it helped to affirm that I am marrying my man for the right reasons and helped me to really analyze whether I am ready (which I am). All in all I would recommend this to anyone in a serious relationship that may be going down the road to marriage, or possibly for someone who is loo ...more
Megan
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
I really enjoyed this quick read. I liked the "dialogue entries" by son and his girlfriend, and I thought that the content was relevant and insightful. I didn't like some of chapter four, specifically the commentary on Paul's letters, but I did like the rest of the book and would recommend it for anyone in a serious dating relationship!
Monika
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This has some good content in it, but it's definitely intended for college age. My boyfriend and I are in our upper 20s/30s and a lot of this was too basic. I didn't like the sections written by the son and his girlfriend. They talk down to you like you are a teenager.
Meghan
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of good points about what issues should be considered when thinking about engagement. It is definitely written from a religious point of view and they have very traditional views of what pre-marriage relationships entail. Still, good food for thought.
CJ
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put yourself at ease

A checklist to be sure you BOTH are ready for a lifetime commitment (which is a commit that doesn't happen often in life)
Donald
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: relationships
This book is put on hold for me... I'm glad though, I believe the book is serving it's purpose and I hope to finish it someday.
Kim Buchanan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a really good book, but more catered to couples in their early to mid 20s. I would like to read something from this author that addresses older couples.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »