Start by marking “As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art” as Want to Read:
As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art

As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
To Rebecca Solnit, the word "landscape" implies not only literal places, but also the ground on which we invent our lives and confront our innermost troubles and desires. The organic world, to Solnit, gives rise to the social, political, and philosophical landscapes we inhabit. As Eve Said to the Serpent skillfully weaves the natural world with the realm of art--its histor ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by University of Georgia Press (first published April 2001)

To ask other readers questions about As Eve Said to the Serpent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Eve Said to the Serpent

Janie
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, inspiration
". . . if environmental problems are really cultural problems -- about the nature of our desires and our perceptions -- then a crucial territory to explore or transform is the territory of the mind." Sounds simple, right?
This is a comprehensive analysis of our evolving relationship with the landscape and how it plays out in our experience as artists. The book begins with the story of Eden and the fall of man and continues forward in time, exploring the influence of the early radical thinkers of
Sam
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment, gender
Rebecca Solnit has a talent for linking disparate ideas in ways that make sense. This is the second book of hers that I've read and I would recommend them both. In this book, I especially enjoy her analysis of calendars (of women and nature). This particular example is both common and noteworthy; there are few places where the connection of these two constructs are more apparent.
Jana
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of essays on feminism as it relates to built and natural environments. Somewhere along the way, I lost / sold / exchanged this book as I do with so many... only, this is one I'd soon like to buy back. Every time I read or re-read one of her essays, I was inspired in my own work.
Allison
It has its moments, but fails to come together. I'm always impressed with her style, but this one was not my favorite.
Theresaganz
  • Idols of Perversity: Fantasies of Feminine Evil in Fin-de-Siècle Culture
  • Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
  • The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight Into Beauty
  • The Importance of Being Iceland: Travel Essays in Art
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • Selected Crônicas
  • The Lure of the Local: Senses of Place in a Multicentered Society
  • Twenty-eight Artists and Two Saints: Essays
  • Evocative Objects: Things We Think with
  • Chaos, Territory, Art: Deleuze and the Framing of the Earth
Rebecca Solnit is an American author who often writes on the environment, politics, place, and art. Her writing has appeared in numerous publications in print and online, including the Guardian newspaper and Harper's Magazine, where she is the first woman to regularly write the Easy Chair column founded in 1851. She is also a regular contributor to the political blog TomDispatch and to LitHub.

Soln