Start by marking “Everything is Changed” as Want to Read:

Everything is Changed

Lifelong friends Jake and Alex are torn apart when they make a terrible split-second decision that ends in tragedy.

As guilt closes in on Jake, he becomes increasingly determined to confess to the police. But Alex just wants to move on with life. He's got a cool new girlfriend, fancy new house and posh new school, and doesn't want his future to be ruined by a mistake in hi
Published October 3rd 2016 by University of Queensland Press (UQP)

To ask other readers questions about Everything is Changed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything is Changed

Amanda
Everything is Changed is Nova Weetman's latest release, but it's a story based on an idea she's had for years. Originally imagined as a screenplay, Nova has taken the idea and formed it into a YA novel, with a twist: the story is told in reverse.

At the start of the novel we meet Alex and Jake, former best friends. They've known each other since they were little kids but four months ago, at the end of Year 9, an incident fractured their friendship and they're still dealing with the repercu
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uqp, loveozya
Before the accident, Jake and Alex had been raised in a leafy, family oriented suburb of Melbourne. Jake lives with his single mother in a small unit, working long hours as a nurse to provide Jake with a bright future he would otherwise have never been afforded, Science being his chosen field of study. Alex is about to embark on a new adventure, moving to an affluent suburb, a new home and a private school education, while leaving Jake and new girlfriend Ellie behind. Regrettably. Until the acci ...more
Tanya Grech Welden
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every year as an educator I inevitably teach at least once a unit in Human Sexuality to a group of year 8 or 9 students. As part of this program we explore the gender and the general differences in brain function between the sexes. It never ceases to amaze students that in males the part of the brain which predicts unfavourable outcomes is less developed in teenage boys than their female counterparts. Of course, as educators we know this too well, seeing this played out on a daily basis with the ...more
Lily

Told in reverse, this book is a fascinating look at the fracturing of a friendship, sifting through the wreckage of two people struggling to deal with the consequences of their actions, back to the pivotal moment when everything changed.

Written in a way that is quietly intelligent and unique, Everything is Changed is simultaneously dark and harrowing and intense. It is a study into the psychology of guilt. An analysis of character. A challenging look at how we react to and face our m
Trisha
This is so achy breaky my little heart. So much sorrow.

And there's the whole backwards thing. Which makes it even more of a challenging read.

But basically I hurts. Lots.
Libby Armstrong
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is how good this book is: swans are playing the cats tonight, and I have had my head in this novel since I picked it up after dinner. Fortunately at third time when I finished the Swannies are up!

With my bookseller hat on, the three things I love about Nova's new novel 1) enthralling story relayed in reverse 2) well drawn teen male characters 3) suspense without gratuitous language or violence

This will appeal to less regular readers, which in mid teens (esp male) is a tough aud
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
Cinematic and devastating. 4.5 stars and full review here on the blog.
Clare Snow
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys Yr 10-12
"And I want to punch him, right there in his perfect pretty face, and give him some reason to remember I'm still here."

On the Notables for the CBCA Book of The Year Older Readers 2017. The story is amazing, not least because it's told backwards. While I thought I knew exactly what was coming, I didn't and surprises kept jumping out from the page.

"I just wish heclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"I
Diem
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
As ‘Everything is Changed’ is a story told in reverse, the reader has to do a bit of work. I wrestled with my curiosity and relented by reading the final two chapters to ease my nerves. However, all it really did was further compel me to continue reading the story in its intended order.

There’s also an incredibly strong sense of place and I think Nova Weetman has done a marvellous job of writing the Melbourne I recognise on these pages.

Additionally, I found Weetman's exploration of Melbourne pr
Michael Earp
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The format (told in reverse chronological order) makes for an interesting read! Tragedy, guilt and the tatters of a friendship we see unraveled, and learn how it all came about.
Noah E
Everything is Changed is an interesting take on a story like this. The main selling point of this book is the fact that it is told in reverse and from two different points of view. This could occasionally be challenging to keep track of when reading but it also made the book stand out against some other YA ones I’ve read recently.

Alex and Jake have two very different points of view, which makes it good to see the different sides of the story. It is pretty hard sometimes to keep track
Saturday's Child
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
One moment, one action, that's all it takes for everything to change. This novel had me hooked from page one as I just had to know what did Alex and Jake do. The clever way in which it is written in reverse kept me guessing right up until the end. My only problem with it is that I'm now left wondering what happened next.
Sandra Shannon
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Set in and around the suburbs of Melbourne tells of an incident which changes the lives of the two main characters, Alex and Jake. They have been best friends forever, but things change. Alex and his family are moving to another suburb, another school. Alex and the new girl at school are hitting it off. Then there is the 'incident'. Where does this leave Jake? This novel is told in reverse.
Pary Nejatbakhsh
Apr 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
The idea of a story told in reverse was so gripping. Delivery failed 100%. Not sure what, but the entire book failed. Never got to know the characters, none of them were particularly likable. Complete waste of time.
Renee Mihulka
I loved this book. Ambitious, devastating and authentic.

You can read my full review at the CBCA website - http://readingtime.com.au/everything-...

Or via my own website www.reneemihulka.com
Steph
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
A story of consequences but told from the end to the beginning. So we know the ending but need to work our way back to find out what led to it. A compulsive page-turner, with real characters that are not always likeable but still manage to evoke sympathy at different times.
Nikki
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So cleverly written!! My daughter and I both read it and really enjoyed it.
Michelle
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 concept
3.5-4 writing

Really interesting concept - told in reverse, it starts with Jake turning himself in for committing a crime with his friend Alex that caused someone's death. Alternating perspectives combined with the reverse storytelling made it a bit confusing at first but the story kept me going. Readers slowly piece together what happened and see what how and why Jake and Alex's friendship deteriorated after that fateful night. This title could also lead to interesting discussi
Lizzie Friendship
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge this book by its seemingly grammatically incorrect title - the reason becomes evident as you engage with this YA novel, which is narrated in reverse, with chapters told from the points of view of the main characters. A dark, emotive, harrowing, thought-provoking plot and storyline about 2 teens who make some wrong choices in life, and the repercussions of them making those choices.
Mrsraisdana
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the style of the book, as it's a mystery/crime story told backward. My interest was captured the entire time in order to find out about the incident that was the catalyst for the breakdown of the characters' friendship and lives.
MBF
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! I found it more intriguing because it was written backwards. 4.5 stars
D94
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
So anticlimactic
Amanda Baldwin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Incredibly tense and thrilling. Takes you right inside the minds and hearts of the characters. Unputdownable.
Elly
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm still not sure how I feel about this. Love the format though. Told in reverse? Strangely it worked.
Pam Saunders
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I persisted up until page 100, then gave up it was moving so slowly and I found I was losing interest in the characters. Turned to the last few pages and read them.
Joelie
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
To be honest the idea behind this novel was great but I feel the execution lacked.
Jumping from different parts of the story and also between two characters made putting down this book difficult, you get lost picking it back up again. However the story line itself i also felt lacked, it contrasted the feelings and thoughts of both boys well but i feel like the story for the most part was missing purpose. I didn't come away feeling much at the end of this book which is not a good thing consi
Jordi
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
The story follows the devastating unravelling of the lifelong friendship between James and Alex following a tragedy. ... What makes Everything is Changed unique is that events are told in reverse. This constructs layers of grief in satisfyingly unexpected ways, while adding the suspense of a whodunit.

Full review: http://www.booksandpublishing.com.au/...
Kerri Jones
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cleverly written YA book where you read from the culmination of events to the beginning (which is the end of the book). You may think this wouldn't keep you interested but one important detail is left out and that is what actually happened to bring the protagonists to this point. Told in a POV format I found it enlightening and strangely logical.
St Stephen's C C
Jake and Alex. Best mates. One terrible mistake. Two lives that will never be the same.

Told in reverse, this powerful and gritty novel moves through the wreckage of a broken friendship, back to the moment when everything changed.
NBHS Library

• Living on Hope Street
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • One Would Think the Deep
  • Talk Under Water
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Between Us
  • Cracked
  • All This Could End
  • The Build-up Season
  • Creepy and Maud
Nova Weetman wrote short fiction and children’s television before publishing her first YA novel, The Haunting of Lily Frost, in 2014. She lives with her partner, a playwright, and their two children in Brunswick, Australia.
“our scars are invisible and they won't ever heal” 2 likes