Start by marking “Black” as Want to Read:
Black

Black

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  626 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Ebony Marshall is in her final year of high school. Five months, two weeks and four days . . . She can't wait to leave the town where she's known only as ‘Black'. Because of her name, of course. But for another reason, too.

Everyone says Black Marshall is cursed.

Three of her best friends have died in tragic accidents. After Oscar, the whispers started. Now she's used to b
Published July 22nd 2016 by Random House Australia (first published July 2016)

Ryan Buckby
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
actual rating: 4.5

shut the windows, lock the doors, you don't know who's coming.

I love fleur's books and writing style and yes i do talk to the author occasionally talk to the author on social media and no this review was not just a 4.5 because of that i generally really enjoyed her book as i enjoyed her debut novel 'Risk'.

Ebony Marshall or 'Black' is her nickname has been given this curse by people because bad things always happen to people that Ebony gets close with. I liked how the 'curse'
Sandeep ☾
1/5 Stars

I still can't believe I had actually finished reading this book. It was just so boring. How did I even get through the whole thing?

What had made me pick up this book was the plot. I was so intrigued and then disappointed after finishing.

One thing that had really annoyed me was the stupid and unnecessary love triangle. Like WHY?

Another thing was the writing style, I found it bland and simple.

This book was just a waste of time. Would not recommend!
Zyra
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
sadly not for me :( i just cant seem to find it interesting enough. everything feels like its stretched or forced.
Librariasaurus
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They say Black Marshall is cursed....

Full disclosure: Whilst I have semi-regular contact with the author via social media channels, I bought and paid for this book of my own accord and my review is without influence.

I had NO IDEA Fleur Ferris would choose this topic for her second book! Gutsy effort and I have to say, she has well and truly conquered that second novel mountain.

Black Marshall is the outcast in a small country town, there may or may not be a secret sect watching her every move,
Lauren
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. It's been a while since I've devoured a book quite so quickly and had one that got under my skin as much as Black! This book is a rollercoaster and a page turner with characters who quickly feel like your best friends! I think I'm going to have to go back now and re-read this again slower to let it sink in!
rachel • typed truths
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: aussie-author
If you know me at all, you know how much I adore mysteries and thrillers. I have since I was a kid, and since last year, I’ve also found a new fascination with cults. Ferris’ Black promised to deliver on both of these fronts, and umm, didn’t really achieve that. At all.

From the very first page, I had a problem with the writing style. It was just so juvenile! The descriptions were slightly repetitive and very basic. It was hard to pick up the detail of the settings or the character’s description
Rachael
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love to be entertained, compelled to turn pages, kept guessing, caught by surprise and intrigued by a story. Fleur Ferris accomplishes all of this with Black. Ebony Marshall is fascinating character, living under the shadow of a 'curse' or at least the shadow of suspicion, speculation, superstition, mistrust and fear.

Things I loved:
*Ebony's resilience, her coping strategy, her determination to get on with life despite the gossip and fear surrounding her life. We meet her at the stage where she
Kristy ▪ The Reader Dragon
description

Holy shit, this book was SO. DAMN. GOOD. For such a quick read, this novel is so dark! (and I'm not just referencing the title).

Ebony 'Black' Marshall in an outcast. She's only young, but has experienced so much grief and heartache. On three separate occasions, she's lost three friends.First was Jess, her best friend since kindergarten, who was hit by a car whilst crossing the road after school. Next was Black's first boyfriend, Louis, who fell to his death from the roof where they shared their
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
4 1/2 stars a great YA read.

My View:
The perfect Teen/ YA read. This could be small town anywhere; the narrow minded attitudes, the suspicions, a haunted house, a curse, fear, gossip, “in groups”, outcasts. There are dramas, “accidents”, exorcism and a little bit of romance thrown in for good measure – and of course a happy ending.

Fleur Ferris writes yet another novel that to me, reads like a film! Congratulations on another engaging read Fleur.

Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Fleur Ferris is spectacular. Black was a brilliant blend of a contemporary, mystery and exploring small town prejudice and one girl's fight to live. Ebony Marshall's young life has experienced devastating grief, but yet the seventeen year old is still able to hold her head high despite now being a social pariah. Once affectionately known as Black, now it holds negative connotations after losing multiple friends in devastating accidents. Her only friend is her work colleague Ed, only a few years ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Having read many YA thrillers, the bar is set quite high for me. Black approaches the thriller genre in a unique way, presenting a girl who is presumed to be cursed by the rest of the town. It really captures the small town feel, where rumours can spiral out of control and everyone knows your business. There's also an uneasiness of Black's alleged curse that is captured throughout its pages.

However, I struggled with the romance in the novel, and the love triangle that appears which seemingly de
Ashlee Lyon
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg this book was absolutely riveting, just could not put it down. Totally different subject matter to Risk ( which I also really enjoyed) but no less captivating. Fleur Ferris is such a talented writer and now she really needs to hurry up and finish her next book
Danielle
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a thrilling and easy read! I didn't want to put it down because I just wanted to know what was happening!
I haven't read anything like this but now definitely want to try more!

Full review up on my blog:
Sophie
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super addictive, I read this in one sitting. The descriptions were haunting and eery throughout, and I loved that nothing felt cliché (in terms of suspense/mystery/romance), it was very authentic.
Trisha
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this right up to the very last bit.
Shannon
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another phenomenal book and incredible read from Fleur Ferris, couldn't put it down!
Amanda
Ebony 'Black' Marshall is seventeen and lives in the fictional Victorian town of Dainsfield. Her father runs the water plant and she works there after school. She earned her nickname Black not only because of her hair but because over the course of her life three friends have died, Jess, Louis, and Oscar. Now there's a new boy at school and he's interested in her but that makes Ebony worried.

I really enjoyed Fleur Ferris' debut, Risk , so I was excited to pick up her latest book, Black . Unfor
gypsykarla
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ozya
Loved loved loved this book!

This is the first book I've read from Fleur Ferris, but she's jumped up with my favourites. Definitely a new fan of this Aussie author!

'Black' kept me on the edge of my seat. I started reading it before bed one night and couldn't put it down until I finished it at 7 the next morning. Fast paced and full of intrigue. I wasn't sure if a supernatural element was going to pop up or if the evil Ratchet was a complete fruitcake, as Black's mum called him. All I knew is I w
Becky Johnson
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. Fleur you've done it again.
This book had me on the edge of my seat, nail bitingly, mind blowing and wanting more.

This book follows Ebony Marshall who has lost a few friends and people soon after say she is cursed.
She doesn't go out to any event, just school, work and home.
That was until a new kid asks her out to the school formal and she decides to take that chance but he unfortunately ends up in a coma.
Is there a curse? Is it pure coincidence?
I won't spoil nothing but I can
Alannah
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a very quick read that had me hooked from the beginning. The suspense and mystery about the story was very intriguing, and I did enjoy the plot. However, I felt that there a lot of dialogue and hardly any descriptive language - I had no idea what the characters were meant to look like so I had trouble deciphering between characters in my mind. That aside, the story was quite dark and alluring, which I liked.
Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
** 4.5 stars **

This was an absolutely amazing and fast paced read.

Full review to come.
Sharla
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rated this a 4.75

First of all I want to start off by saying how relatable the main character is. Ebony "Black" Marshall has lost three of her closest friends due to circumstances that some believe had something to do with her. Members of an unofficial church group brainwash their members into thinking that people have demons inside of them and in this case, Black possesses "the devil". Although these things aren't true, Ratchet, the group leader is well respected and nobody doubts his beliefs.
Jessica
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
When I got this book I wasn't sure what to expect all I knew was that it was a horror/ mystery story written by an Australian author. So when I started reading it and was hooked right away I wasn't surprised, I read this book way too fast and the more I tired to pace my reading the more I wanted to see what happened next!
The suspense was amazing and I was always wondering what was going to happen next, the characters were well written, and as someone who lives in a small country town, I was even
Taryn Bashford
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Page turner? Tick. Unique plot and storyline? Tick. Had me on the edge of my seat (well bed actually). Tick. This YA mystery will make your jaw drop, will grip you by the throat so you can't put it down, then force you to read it in one sitting. Having been a paramedic and in the police force in the past, the author, Fleur Ferris, has a unique insight into this world and it shows, giving authenticity to the story. Love. Love. Must read. And, yikes I love the cover. It really stands out on booksh ...more
Sam Whitehouse
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, I am so happy and I have the biggest book hangover because holy moly, what a story. Writer goals, you guys. This story is everything. Characters, plot, twists, the ending!! I'm so happy *heart eyes*. I am so in love with this book, I was flying through it and had to take a three hour break in the middle to recover from all the emotion. This is one of my favourite reads. Yay YA!
Amy Perry
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Fleur Ferris writing in this was perfection.
Nicola
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Crushed in about 2 hours. If that's any indication of how good this book is.
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Penguin Random House Australia for review.

I had heard quite good things about this author’s other book, Risk, so when I found out that Black was a mystery/thriller I instantly wanted to read it. My favourite genre, yo! I am insatiable when it comes to mystery/thrillers, and Black had everything going for it: interesting premise, freaking amazing cover, and an Aussie author.

Unfortunately, when I got around to reading Black, it didn’t quite have everything goin
Casey
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was my choice has "out of my comfort zone" for a read'a'thon, not that thriller is out of my comfort zone but because I tend to dislike YA thrillers, I always end up yelling at the teenager trying to defeat multiple attackers or solve a crime themselves and want to shake them TO CALL THE DAMN POLICE.

But yay and hallelujah this book was fantastic, the plot was fast, the small town setting surrounded by woods was creepy, the feeling of everyone being evil made me unable to guess who was
Lily
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Okay, wow.

Gotta say you guys, this book was pretty freaking awesome. Dark, eerie, tense and utterly riveting. There was something so unnerving and incredibly atmospheric about this story that completely sucked me in and kept me turning the page, desperate to find out how everything would play out.

Everyone says Black Marshall is cursed. Three of her best friends have died in tragic accidents over the years. As a result, everyone in her small country town treats her with, at best, suspicion borde
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • The Boundless Sublime
  • The Special Ones
  • The Haunting of Lily Frost
  • When Michael Met Mina
  • Frankie
  • The Things I Didn't Say
  • Two Wolves
  • Only We Know
  • Isadora (The Chronicles of Kaya #3)
  • Cry Blue Murder