Start by marking “El libro fantástico (Las crónicas De Spiderwick, #1)” as Want to Read:
El libro fantástico (Las crónicas De Spiderwick, #1)

El libro fantástico

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  79,528 ratings  ·  3,333 reviews
Tras el divorcio de sus padres, los gemelos Jared y Simon y su hermana mayor Mallory se mudan con su madre a una destartalada mansión en el campo que pertenece a su anciana tía abuela Lucinda, quien ha sido ingresada en un manicomio. Pero antes de que puedan deshacer el equipaje, Jared advierte que no están solos en la casa. Alguien más vive con ellos.

Gracias a sus investi
Published November 19th 2003 by Ediciones B (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about El libro fantástico, please sign up.
Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pai…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)

·  79,528 ratings  ·  3,333 reviews

Start your review of El libro fantástico (Las crónicas De Spiderwick, #1)
Patrick
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Bangadybangz
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world! ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1), Tony DiTerlizzi

The Grace children want to share their story, but the faeries will do everything possible to stop them...

The first book, The Field Guide, was publ
Janete
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light and pleasant children's book to improve my English and forget life's difficulties. Scribd book + Brazilian youtube audiobook.

Synopsis : "After finding a mysterious, handmade field guide in the attic of the ramshackle old mansion they’ve just moved into, Jared; his twin brother, Simon; and their older sister, Mallory, discover that there’s a magical and maybe dangerous world existing parallel to our own—the world of faerie. The Grace children want to share their story, but the faeries wil
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) The Field Guide ★★★
2.) The Seeing Stone ★★.5

-----------------------------------------------

BOOK #6 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★

This didn't read as a separate book in a series, it read as though it was chapter 1 of the first book! There was no solid beginning, middle and end, instead it seemed like just a beginning? I'm confused as to why this series is split into separate books like this when the stories s
Rachel
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Becky
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Iben Frederiksen

Wanted to read this series badly when I was a kid, but somehow never got around to it. Now I needed something light and fun, to get myself back into a rhythm of reading every day -and this is exactly that.

The books aren't so much individual stories of their own, but instead more like five parts of one story, but I guess that way they are quick and easy to get through. I like the characters and the setting as well, feels kind of nostalgic in a way.
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
C.G. Drews
I read this for research purposes. I'm pretty sure a boggart is stealing my left socks. OKAY, NO. That's not why I'm researching it! I want to write children's books, and mine turn out too weird, so I thought I'd read more children's books and get a hang of the voice and style. This was an epic example. (It can't be more then 10K, right?) I really enjoyed it. I've watched the movie, and the first book is...what? The first 20 minutes of the movie?! It's such an adorably cute book! But now I'm imp ...more
Kristina
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading and loving this book when I was 10 or 11years old. So when I saw it in one of my local charity shops I immediately bought it. I definitely don't regret it. I think I loved it just as much as my child self. Maybe because I am such a huge fan of all things paranormal.
I like that there are drawings throughout the book which are absolutely gorgeous by the way. :)
It follows the adventure of two brothers and a sister into the magical world right beside the house they live in. Ther
MissBecka Gee
I love love love how this series came to fruition!
Very quick audio (about an hour) and sets things up nicely for more adventure.
I adore that Mark Hamill is narrating; totally in for the rest of the series!
C.P. Cabaniss
About a year and a half ago I found this entire five book series at a thrift store and decided to buy them. I didn't know much about the series, other than that there was a movie made, but for five bucks I decided to take a chance. And now, over a year later, I have finally started reading them. And I'm really glad I have.

This first book is about the Grace children: Mallory, Jared, and Simon. Their lives have changed quite drastically in a short amount of time and they find themselves in a new
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
I mean it wasn't bad. I finished it pretty quickly. I've read many middle grade books this year, and this one wasn't really anything special. I think it was more of an introductory book than anything. I hope the following books will be more fun. ...more
George Jankovic
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for kids (8-11). It's spooky at times as you follow two twin boys and their sister in a creepy, old house.

Enjoy!
Anne
Very cute! I can see why kids like them. I'm sure I'll end up buying the complete set for mine! ...more
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quick read.
bella farren
3 / 5 stars

The Spiderwick Chronicles movie had been a family favourite in my household for years, my sister and I watched the movie a ridiculous amount of times and yet, I never read the series. I was curious when I picked this up, to see how much of the story I remembered and how accurate the film had been.

This story follows the Grace family, who were forced to move into the house of a crazy Great Aunt when they couldn't afford to live in New York after the divorce. The three siblings; Jared a
Michael Sorbello
Simon, Jared and Mallory Grace move into a creepy Victorian house with their mother after their parents divorce and the three kids get themselves in trouble. After moving in, they discover that something isn't quite right with the house. It's haunted, but not by ghosts. It's haunted by fairies and other classic fantasy creatures from another world.

It's a fun little mystery book with cool fantasy elements and it does a good job setting up the characters and premise at an incredibly fast speed wit
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
Brooke
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great! ...more
Gretchen
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Peter Monn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Check out my review on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks ...more
Faseeh Ilahi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I freaking loved this book. The story was cute. The illustrations were amazing. The plot and the twist and turns were admirable. This was a really short book but a really fun one.
Himanshu Karmacharya
Children finding weird magical stuff in a new home that they have just movies into after having a family problem, is not a new premise. Despite this, the book is still a fun and cute little read, and serves as a decent set up for the adventures to come. Kids are sure to love it.
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: ya, 2005, fantasy, adventure
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Somia
This did feel too short/quick but still a nice light read.

I've seen the movie a zillion times thanks to my sister, and was rather curious about the book. What I didn't realise (but should have) is that what occurs within the movie occurs across more than book one, looking forward to reading further when I get the books via the library or on sale.

The illustrations were a nice touch and add to the tale unfolding.

99p on amazon.
Cori Reed
Very fun and just the right amount of spooky!
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Jenny Baker
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, 2019
Fun story, but too short. I can't wait to read the next one! 🤺🐀 ...more

• The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Tale of Despereaux
  • The Maze of Bones  (The 39 Clues, #1)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Spymasters (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files, #2-4)
  • The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
#1 New York Times bestselling author and illustrator, Tony DiTerlizzi, has been creating children’s books for twenty years. From fanciful picture books like The Broken Ornament and The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and The Search for WondLa, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade ser ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)

News & Interviews

“Soliloquy,” 1 likes
“It’s just like I remember,” she said, smiling. “Only crappier,” said Mallory.” 1 likes