Start by marking “Afrodita: Racconti, ricette e altri afrodisiaci” as Want to Read:
Afrodita: Racconti, ricette e altri afrodisiaci

Afrodita: Racconti, ricette e altri afrodisiaci

Isabel Allende conosce il gusto lieve e giocoso della vita. La troviamo alle prese con il mondo della cucina, tempio del piacere dei sensi e anticamera del "piacere dei piaceri". In un invito alla gioia dietro il grembiule, un gioco per nutrirsi e inebriarsi senza prendersi troppo sul serio. Dalla salsa corallina alle pere ubriache, dall'habanera di gamberi all'insalata ...more
Paperback, Universale Economica, 328 pages
Published April 2000 by Feltrinelli (first published December 29th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Afrodita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afrodita

Start your review of Afrodita: Racconti, ricette e altri afrodisiaci
Anne
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, nymphomaniacs, people who like their English prose translated from Spanish
If you're looking for an aphrodisiac manual, a Vegas wedding chapel for your inner Britney Spears, look somewhere else. As some reviewers have pointed out, almost every food item on the planet is considered to have erotic connotations to Allende, be they visual, olfactory or legendary, she can make it seem sexy.

This is because it's not a serious attempt to prove or disprove aphrodisiac qualities of food, it is, as the title states, a memoir of the senses, a scrapbook of sensuality, and Allende
Casey
Jul 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
I tried to read this because it came recommeded from a friend with impeccable taste. Yeah, not so mcuh with this.

It tried to hard to be sexy in a Nigella Lawson way, and just came off like a desperate middle aged, sex starved housewife. While this may be the demographic they're going for it just sat all wrong with me. It felt a bit like buying sexy knickers with your mum.
kate
i don't think this was the allende book i should have read first when i decided i wanted to explore latin american literature and magical realism in particular. i love the concept of food/sensuality/feminine/spice and enjoy other books on the topic.

however, the book did not quite translate into what i expected.

for example, there is a description comparing a lover's kiss to a 'mussel inserted in your mouth' which reminded me of the worst kissers in my life (thus far & hopefully ever) -
Joana Augusto
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Isabell Allende is my favorite writer. This is the one book of hers I haven't tried reading because I thought it was just a cookbook. An aphrodisiac cookbook, but still...

It's actually a really good essay on what are aphrodisiacs, and how they are viewed in different times, and even in different cultures.

Also, her amazing writing is still very obvious, even if it's not in magic realism form. She's as witty and sarcastic as ever.

I haven't gone through all the recipes yet, but there's some I want
Erin
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a strange book. Fascinating at times, dull at others, and occasionally plain puzzling (as in, where IS she going with this?). The best way to sum it up is a medley of anecdotes, myths, and personal experiences all regarding food and its role in love, romance, and decidedly kinkier ventures. Aphrodisiacs, if you will. I did love Allende's sauciness and odd split personality--very accepting of people's oddities on one hand, and slyly judgmental on the other hand.

By the time I got through
Carrie
Hot. That is the only word I can think of to describe this novel. It defintely has the Allende flavor of magical realism and picturesque description. I picked it up thinking it was a food memoir, but it is more of an exploration of the connection between food, sex and love. The recipes are her grandmothers'and you can feel the familial connection in the pages. The chapter describing the advice to her stepson on dating was downright funny and quite erotic. I liked the book, but it is not my ...more
Maria Velkova
Gosh, it is slow to read this book... it definitely requires a particulate mood, which I don't possess at all times.
Rachel Helms
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel Allende is a deliciously entertaining, no-bullshit writer and cook. After reading this memoir, I want not only to read her other works, but to cook a 5-course dinner with her (aphrodisiac-centered, of course).
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Should be read in bed aloud to one's lover as s/he applies the whipped cream. Allende brings her own special brand of magical realism to this catalogue of aphrodisiacs and erotic lore, interspersing recipes and historical trivia with stories of love and sex from her life and the lives of the famous lovers of the past. Less prurient than passionate, even the book itself is a sensuous experience, printed as it is on heavy paper and lushly illustrated. To be sampled, savored, or devoured, as the ...more
Emily Peck
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very seductive book. As a combintion of cook book, food history book, and dictionary of adphrodisiacs; this book serves as a very informative and useful tool in many areas of our lives ( if you catch my drift). It is also very beautifully written and has lovely artwork within it. I have used this book as research for school as well as for my personal ventures and have never regretted purchasing it. If the sensualty of food is important to your pallete then this book is a must.
Karen Wellsbury
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A combination of an essay on the eroticism of food, and a cookery book.
The essay is beautifully written and the writing sensual, reflecting both Allende's style and the subject matter.
The recipes are a bit hit and miss frankly.
Melanie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious, sensual, funny and well researched read! One to dip in every now and then just for fun and inspiration to concoct that special meal to seduce an object of desire... :-)
Great cookbook too!
Suanne Laqueur
I loved every delicious word. A real treat.
Kira McGann
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sensual reading.
Bobbi Miller
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting compilation of stories about aphrodisiacs and related topics.
Emma
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aphrodite is the bible of all things aphrodisiac. Focused on good food and good sex, Allende's prose is equal parts mouthwatering and titillating. Allende is proof that women over 50 are not dried-up sexless creatures, and a life spent denying oneself physical pleasure (be it sex or rich chocolate cake) isn't worth living.

This book made me throw on a négligé and cook one of its sinful recipes, which my lover and I would proceed to hand-feed to each other while lounging on a dark red velvet
Beth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book about sensuality really shouldn't be this dull, but it is (sorry Isabel). Ostensibly, the book is about romance, atmosphere and food as preludes to love-making but human beings know this stuff, unless stymied by an unusual sensory deprivation, and this book adds little to the canon. I get the impression Allende realised her material for the book was a bit thin and has used her considerable skill as a writer to pad it out but it hasn't been enough to rescue the book. And the recipes aren't ...more
Laura Alice Watt
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this voluptuous book I've been reading in little bites, as it's much too rich to read all in one sitting. Allende explores the age-old connections between food and sensuality, including many recipes (I haven't tried any yet, but will if a good opportunity arises!). The best part of this volume is the illustrations, especially the numerous paintings by Martin Maddox and George Tooker, which add a kind of glow to the delicious pages. (1/00)
Joy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so fun and creative. It is a combination cook-book and story telling of seduction and how to achieve it. Allende does not shy away at all from talking about how to indulge in the sensuality/sexuality of food, drink and one's partner with the result that it certainly revs the imagination.
Zalorén Za
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be read by all those that love and enjoy life to the fullest, and those who are searching to enjoy life to the fullest should read it as well. I have read this book over and over and still find joy in every word.
Raimonda
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A witty read on aphrodisiacs combined with family stories, recipes and historical background.

It was the first book I read by Isabel Allende, but the sense of humour, captivating storytelling sure did ignite an interest to read some of her fiction in the near future.
Mar Kibreet
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rituals of intimacy, and erotism, mixed with food and surviving instincts.
An abysm grows in my heart full of desire for the sensual seduction added with the dreams and spells caused by love.
Touch, taste.
Wonderful book.
Mariel
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A scruptuous read. I was skeptic regarding the recipes so I wouldn't categorize it as a cookbook, but it's indeed a good starter for those who want to dip their toes into food literature, beautiful and deliciously worded stories.
Rachel Bellenoit
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it very much. Read it when it first came out.
Korina Perdomo
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Allende experience. Super easy to read, fun and refreshing.
Margaret
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I guess I'm just too prudish. This book started out fun, but went places I didn't really want to go. So I stopped midway through and won't be picking it up again.
Carrol
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to pick up here and there, and wonderful recipes in the last half.
Samar Al otaibi
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the first book i read for Isabelle recommended from my friend Heleen and am totally in love with the author ...more
Robyn Mourie
This book started off as a story and also funny. But then it lost structure and rambled through. Exquisite writing but a thread would have kept me interested . I gave up nearly half finished
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• La peste
  • Historias de mujeres
  • Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
  • Canek
  • Vida feliz de un joven llamado Esteban
  • Almarina
  • Ricette immorali
  • The Inhabited Woman
  • The Powerbook
  • Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas
  • Kako sam dobio "Oskara"
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  •  Adiós Mariquita Linda
  • La zia marchesa
  • The Pillow Book
  • Sofía de los presagios
  • La noche de la Reina Roja
  • Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair
Isabel Allende Llona is a Chilean-American novelist. Allende, who writes in the "magic realism" tradition, is considered one of the first successful women novelists in Latin America. She has written novels based in part on her own experiences, often focusing on the experiences of women, weaving myth and realism together. She has lectured and done extensive book tours and has taught literature at ...more
“Nada logra detener la pasión encendida de dos personas enamoradas. En ese caso no importan los achaques de la existencia, el furor de los años, la torpeza física o la mezquindad de oportunidades, los amantes se las arreglan para amarse porque por definición ése es su destino.” 1 likes
“Αλλά ο έρωτας όπως και η τύχη, έρχεται όταν δεν τον προσκαλούν, μας εγκαθιστά μέσα σε μια σύγχυση και διαλύεται σαν ομίχλη όταν προσπαθούμε να τον κρατήσουμε.” 0 likes