Start by marking “Hercules: Still Going Strong” as Want to Read:
Hercules: Still Going Strong

Hercules: Still Going Strong (Hercules (2016) #1-6)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The world's first super hero is getting back in the game, to remind everyone why he set the bar for valor in the first place. Make way...Hercules is back! Creatures of ancient myth still linger, but they are on the brink of extinction. The world of today has no place for them. But Hercules has moved with the times -and now only he can protect them against the crushing weig ...more
Published June 21st 2016 by Marvel (first published June 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hercules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hercules

Sam Quixote
Hercules wants to be taken seriously as a hero so he’s given up the sauce. Shame that change doesn’t make him any more interesting to readers! New gods called The Uprising Storm are fighting old gods and Herc’s gotta put these young whippersnappers in their place to prove that the olds are classics for a reason… zzz….

Want to read a comic where Herc punches mythical Greek creatures in a contemporary setting? This is the book for you! To be fair to Dan Abnett, he doesn’t do a terrible job. There’
Gianfranco Mancini

Really loved the storyline and the "American Gods" vibe of Abnett's Herc, immortal ex-alcoholist demi-god looking for redemption.

Sadly artworks were just decent ones and this excellent (mini) series was cancelled by Marvel, ending with a cliffhanger, and the author signed an exclusive contract with DC comics and now writes Titans and Aquaman.
Can you go back to work on Black Library's Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn novels as soon as possible, mr Abnett?
Thank you.

Milo (BOK)
A fun read. Not familiar with the Marvel version of Hercules at all so this was a nice book if nothing too special and it was great to read some more Dan Abnett outside of Black Library.
Alex Sarll
Bits of this are fabulous. For instance, the idea of Hercules in modern New York, happily undertaking 'labors' for anyone from local kids to the Secretary General, with a confused and dispirited Gilgamesh sleeping on his sofa and complaining how tablets were simpler when they were made of clay. Whereas Hercules, having battled through the centuries, is happy to adopt whatever weapons work in the course of battle. As for the mythical creatures seeking refuge in New York from some coming storm dri ...more
Adan
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually really liked this! The main conceit (old gods vs new) was clearly lifted from Gaiman's American Gods, but Abnett deflects from that by showing us a Hercules who is trying to learn from his mistakes and better acclimate to this "modern age". Chief among that is going sober and not partying so much, but also helping out other old heroes like Gilgamesh and Ire of Crua-Before-The-Ice. And the series ends with Hercules at a bar ordering whiskey — a cliffhanger! I really hope this is contin ...more
Tom Ewing
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel-comics
It's common to hear old fans grumbling about Marvel's explicit focus on new audiences and readers. But wait - here is a hero they can surely relate to, in a comic starring a classic character that directly addresses ageing, changing social norms, and the crisis of masculinity. It addresses them quite poignantly, too, with Hercules and his mate Gilgamesh The Forgotten One respectively solving monster related crises by thumping them, and sitting around on a sofa unemployed. Luke Ross, like Dan Abn ...more
Amalia Dillin
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read these as single issues and was INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED when it became a miniseries instead of an ongoing title, which accounts, sadly, for the way this wraps and sends us into (of course) another stupid Marvel Universe event. But listen to me. LISTEN TO ME:

These six issues are glorious. GLORIOUS. Hercules is a perfect blend of ancient and modern, and the way he engages with the world and the way the world is engaging with him -- you guys, if you love mythology, grab this ASAP because I ki
Shane
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
"Hercules: Still Going Strong" was a solid comic. They are trying to kick off a new, "reinvented" Hercules here, and for the most part they succeed. I had previously only read Hercules when he had been a guest/side character in Avengers or Thor comics of the 80s and 90s, and here he is trying to straighten out his life and get serious. Hercules is more than interesting enough to carry a series, but I wouldn't necessarily say he is more interesting now than his earlier characterization (and not n ...more
Anthony
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Missed this in single issue form but had been intrigued when it was announced. Glad I finally read it. Enjoyed what the creators did with Herc, Gilgamesh and the new supporting cast.
Crystel
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was surprisingly well written! I really enjoyed the story and the take of a classic here in a modern age. Parts of it did remind me of American Gods though.
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
Great new chapter in the Hercules saga
Russell Wilcox
Hercules is one of my all time favorite Marvel characters, and it has everything to do with the fact that he is Hercules in the Marvel Universe. As soon as I saw they were publishing another run of Herc, I had to pick it up. Being a Herc fan also means that you have to put up with a lot of writers treating him as a joke, not quite getting the idea of what it would be like to be an immortal. I wasn't expecting a lot from the series, but I knew I would have to pick it up anyway.
All I can say about
Scott Waldie
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just the image of Hercules living with Gilgamesh, another sad mythological superhero, crashed out on his couch is worth the read alone. How this deals with the aftereffects and public image of the character's flaws is quite touching, and the new villains introduced here are fascinating, I hope we'll be seeing more of them in the future. Dan Abnett excels once again with what is another of the best current Marvel titles.
Ed
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not particularly familiar with Marvel's Hercules. He's been a supporting character in many books I've read, but he usually just hung around in the background or was a comic relief character. So I was surprised at how good Dan Abnett's Hercules series was. I read the first issue on Marvel Unlimited on a whim and it immediately won me over with its fully realized characters and strong sense of place. That first issue sets Hercules in the Greek neighborhood of Astoria, Queens and it makes it fe ...more
Rick
Marvel's version of Hercules has always been problematic. Not only in how you reconcile the attitudes and social norms of ancient cultures from Greek mythology into contemporary American culture, but also how do you make him ... relevant? Since he first appeared as a guest-star in the pages of Thor and the Avengers, Hercules has had as many approaches to his personality and charter as Marvel has had writers. Trying to make sense of it all is a, well if you'll excuse the pun, herculean task. In t ...more
David
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-books
A horrible, terrible take on Hercules. Abnett sucks all the joy out of the character by making him a ridiculed c-lister alcoholic on a mission to redeem himself. WTF? I could not hate this more.

And why the f*ck is he wearing a cup on the outside of his trousers?

The writing and the artwork is terrible. Please let this book die and be forgotten as soon as possible. Bring back the joyful and fun Herc of the Greg Pak days when he teamed up with Amadeus Cho.

A high percentage of the post-Secret Wars
Vince
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Wow... I was on board with this for a while but then the climactic fight rolled around and boy howdy did the quality drop. What is with the try-hard, internet-speak, villian? How about those terrible, forced references to Marvel events and titles... I'll read the next volume begrudgingly because I'm finding Herc to be interesting... but the way his sobriety is written... the way all of this is written... ugh.
Daniel Butcher
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
I'm really surprised how much I like this take on a mythic hero struggling to fit with our world. But then hey Dan Abnett...why the surprise.

More should be said about this book than I have heard!
Javi
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Estrellas. El cómic no está nada mal, el principio quizás tiene demasiado poco empaque pero se va volviendo más interesante y Hercules más carismático conforme pasan los números. Cierto es que la trama está "robada" de American Gods pero no deja de estar interesante.
Beelzefuzz
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman gender swapped to Herc. Not great.
Kevin
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like American Gods, but featuring Hercules hanging with Gilgamesh!
Mike McDevitt
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hooray for Herak! Off the sauce at last and... ohh. Great job, Gilgamesh!
Bill Williams
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad read, but nothing great. I think it would have worked better as a four-parter, instead of a six-parter.
Derek Miron
Oct 29, 2016
Nathanaël Besnard
Oct 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Hercules (2016) (6 books)
  • Hercules #1