Start by marking “Are You Running With Me, Jesus?” as Want to Read:
Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Published 1967 (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Running With Me, Jesus?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

Ted Mallory
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, poetry
circa 1965, I categorize this book sort of as Episcopal Beat Poetry. I haven't followed Boyd in any of his other books so I wouldn't consider myself a follower or even a fan, I haven't scrutinized any of his theological stances or political positions- but I do enjoy this book.

It's refreshing in it's raw openness and honesty about doubts and feelings and modern social concerns, from race, gender and poverty, to movies, academia, and stress. These prayers are touching and remind the reader that Go
Ije the Devourer of Books
I came across the Revd Malcolm Boyd when I read a small book of poetry and prose on gay couples.

Malcolm Boyd died earlier this year at the magnificent age of 91. He was an Episcopalian/Anglican priest with a long history of human rights and civil rights advocacy stretching back to the sixties when he participated in the civil rights movements and freedom rides.

He came out in 1977 and became a spokesman for gay rights risking his position and career. He was ordained in 1954 and wrote many books.
Lauren Houston
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book I fell in love, I had already fallen in love with Malcolm Boyd because of the cover.The prayers are so simple but somehow so poignant. I really like the simplicity of what he has to say.
David Mackey
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional, prayer
I loved this book. The prayers are raw and honest. I've written a full review here:
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a little too blasphemous for my traditional Catholic mindset, but nevertheless a useful and casual set of prayers, aimed at the confused modern man.
Shelley Alongi
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I find this book a little self-centered but then I believe that he points that out in the title. So since I have never been one for pre-scripted prayers I don't know that I would reference this book again. However, it is a glimpse into honest feelings and I believe that God once us to admit our feelings to him and yes I am a strong believer in Jesus Christ is God so I don't have a problem with that. I did however find this book a little and interesting though I tried to stick with it. Everyone h ...more
Angélique (Angel)
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-nonfic
These were some of the most authentic prayers that I have ever read. I found Boyd's willingness to go to God completely as himself even when he was feeling irreverent so encouraging for my own relationship with God. It felt validating to see someone else express the idea that our prayers need not be perfect Christian pictures of piety in order to arouse the interest of God. The confirmation that God can run with us even in our messy not-so-Christian feelings and ways of being was my biggest take ...more
Feb 03, 2015 added it
This book had a powerful influence on me when it was given to me, at 15 y/o, by the family I babysat for. Thanks to Matt and Sue for this powerful book on being a radical Christian, and all the other books and music you used to be of help to me in surviving my teen years. Though I am not a Christian the way most of this country views what it is to be a "Christian". I still go to it, in times I need that push to keep going, as well as when I am struggling with my life's problems.
Baumgartner Lisa
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wise Words

I love this author. The Church and society tried to stop him from being Malcolm Boyd. He held on tight to Christ and survived all attempts to shut him up. Yes, Jesus ran with him while others ran against him.
I've picked this up and put it down several times now, so into the donation pile it goes.
Malcolm Boyd would have made a good blogger, and probably would have been great at Twitter. Alas, he was born 70 years too early.
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel late to this party, but I am so happy I've arrived. This is truly life-changing. I really want to hear the Charlie Byrd record that goes with it!
Jan 17, 2013
Jul 14, 2017
Mindy Worley
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I loved this book. And can't believe I had never heard of it before...
Mar 19, 2012
Jun 19, 2010
Dan Anderson
Jun 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Malcolm Boyd was an American Episcopal priest and author. He was one of the prominent white clergymen in the American Civil Rights Movement in the 60s as well as the anti-Vietnam War movement. In 1977 Boyd came out of the closet, becoming the most prominent gay clergy person to come out. In the 1980s Boyd met the
More about Malcolm Boyd (Priest and Civil Rights Activist)...