Start by marking “A Hero's Curse (The Unseen Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hero's Curse (The Unseen Chronicles #1)

A Hero's Curse

(The Unseen Chronicles #1)

Essie Brightsday has never heard a rock basilisk scream. She has never worn magical armor, stood up to a queen, or run from dragons. Instead, Essie, her sarcastic cat Tigrabum, (just call him "Tig"), and her secretive family struggle to survive on their small farm nestled against the forbidding cliffs of the Valley of Fire.

But all that is about to change when a rebellion
Published December 1st 2015 by Rogue Bard Books

To ask other readers questions about A Hero's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hero's Curse

Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk

“Tig is right – we do need to move – but we have nothing to return to. No plan. No hope.”

This was a middle-grade/young-adult fantasy-adventure story, featuring a main character who was blind.

Essie was a strong character, and she kept battling on even when things seemed rough. I did feel quite sorry for her with regards to her blindness, but she seemed to cope quite well with it.

The storyline in this was about Essie running away from people who wanted to h
Eredin (The Book Scourge)
I have received a digital copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

A Hero's Curse (The Unseen Chronicles #1) By P.S. Broaddus

~Summary~

There is a rebellion against Brogan who took over from the rightful King Mactogonii who apparently disappeared about a year ago from the Kingdom of Mar. All the while, Essie Brightsday along with her parents, uncle and a talking cat on a farm are caught right in the middle of it. Essie is like every teenager, except for one small problem;
Abbie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This struggled to keep my interest at times, but it was an okay read overall.
Maria
*Was provided a digital copy in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the author and Sarah.

This was one inspirational story and delivers a precious message. It's about heroism and how you can overcome your greatest weakness and rise, stronger than all others. It's about the power of family and friendship, it's about sacrifice.

Heroes don’t seek wealth or honour or even insist on healing or family. Those are the things they sacrifice. Uncle Cagney’s voice echoes through my head: “That’s what
P.S. Broaddus
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts from the author.

I have spent many years now crafting and writing and editing the story which is now A Hero’s Curse. All the time spent with Essie and Tig and Cagney and Illiana and Killian and Kiera has not waned my interest or enthusiasm.

I am more fond of them now than ever. I love the story, and am so pleased that others are enjoying the journey as well.

It is the story of a young blind girl and her talking cat who are propelled on a fantastical adventure to find their kingdom’s missi
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

It was a fun little adventure. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. I thought it was an action-packed thrill ride. The ending was intriguing. I think this series can go far. Can't wait to see what happens next. Overall, a great read.
Maranda Russell
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a special exclusive edition of this book from the Kids Prize Pack subscription box (which I suggest you check out if you have kids!). I really liked the story and am glad I came across it! It is a fun, engaging fantasy and the characters are really likable. I especially liked Tig, Lem, Cheep and the Urodela characters. Definitely worth the read!
T.J. Burns
BUDDY READ AND REVIEW > A Hero's Curse (The Unseen Chronicles #1) by P.S. Broaddus - Starting July 7th 2016
Anne Evans
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A middle grade book set in a fantasy world and told in first person by the preteen heroine, Essie. Oh and don't forget the witty cat, Tig. Lovers of fantasy and other worlds will enjoy this book.
Bob Neumann
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly marvelous tale of a 12 year old girl, Esse. Now Esse happens to be blind, but she has a cat who happens to talk. But being a feline character he tends to value himself greatly. He is alloof, taciturn, and exceedingly SNARKY. But what do you expect from a cat.
Of course they find themselves alone and the world is crumbling around them. Which means they need to begin a QUEST to save her parents, oh.....and her world.
This a wonderful book, I have a 12 year old who would love it.
I did
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
4.5 Stars!
A Hero's Curse is a middle grade fantasy that centers around Essie Brightsday, a twelve year old blind girl, and her cat Tigrabum as they are forced to flee their home leading them on a long return journey through a land that is cursed and dying.

Essie Brightsday is a girl who, somewhat unwillingly, finds herself on the same path as their missing King and is forced to choose between trying to return home to her family or trying to find an end to the curse placed upon the land by a demon
Mel Ann
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essie is on a journey that will test her to her limits. Every strength, every weakness is a tool for her to utilize. Secrets will come to light and hurtful truths will be revealed. The one thing that Essie has struggled with all her life will be what makes her all the more unique.

A tale filled with magical beings, riddles and terrifying obstacles. The action and adventure will keep you turning pages and the path the story leads you down will have you biting you nails. With her trusty confidant
Kimberly Newman
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked up a copy of A Hero's Curse on Kindle when it was free for a day. What a bargain! It was enjoyable for me to read even though I am much older than the intended audience. It does remind me a little of C. S. Lewis' books.

I loved the snarky cat--Purrfect! It acts just like every cat I have ever owned. The book would be a good one to read to your kids at night. It is filled with adventure, new peoples, strange lands, danger, friendship, and good morals from the beginning to the end. I can v
Jenn Sut
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Listened to the audio book. Great narrator and fantastic book. It is fascinating to listen to this story as it puts you in the same spot as the protagonist. She can not see. Towards the last part of the book there is a section of the book in which you travel with her as she describes everything . It is truly effective on audio as you feel you are traveling with her with sound,touch, and smell as your guides. This is an amazing journey. I loved this book so much and highly recommend it.
laurie moore
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got sucked in

Most books have a slow spot or two and I tent to lose interest, I didn't have that problem with this book I couldn't put it down. Since I enjoy a lot of different types of books I would recommend this one to kids and adults alike.
Ashley Abate
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I truly enjoyed this little adventure. Great creatures, characters and imagery! I especially appreciated the pet cat To granum. ;)
Philip
Dec 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
To check out...author is former classmate.
laurie
Reading this book was an absolute treat!
The characters, pacing, descriptions and grammar paint a picture of a world with so much more to explore.
Essie is an inspiring character and when paired with Tig the sass, fun and fur starts to fly!
I highly recommend fantasy and adventure lovers to read this epic story.
Lynne Wilson
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hero’s curse

Download free from Kindle Amazon.

This story is a middle grade novel aimed at children 8-12 years plus, it’s not a book I would usually pick for myself, however, I received an email on one of the good read groups I am in looking for readers to review a few books. Being a lover of books, I thought why not. I am so pleased I did otherwise I would have never found this little gem of a story.

The story starts off in a fictitious land, the Kingdom of Mar; from the very first page the sto
Angela Shores
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I’d really give this 3.5 stars. I liked that the main character is blind (that is not a spoiler) and has a talking cat as her pet which is the perfect excuse for the author to offer rich descriptions throughout the book as Tig tells Essie where they are and what’s around them. It also allows the author to infuse details our main character gleans from her other senses, adding depth to the world of the story. I gave the book only 3.5 stars because it felt unbalanced in the sense that it took about ...more
Patricia Reding
Reviewed for Readers' Favorite at www.ReadersFavorite.com.

The synopsis for A Hero’s Curse, by P. S. Broaddus, intrigued me. To find a fantasy story for young readers with a blind protagonist conjured up all sorts of thoughts and ideas—and Broaddus did not fail to deliver! The story is written from the perspective of Essie, in a manner that allows the reader to join with her in her thoughts. Together with her talking cat, Tig, Essie is left to the care of her Uncle Cagney when her parents must le
Jeremiah Lorrig
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love being surprised by a good story. A Hero's Curse was one such surprise.

In the vein of CS Lewis, this children's story is full of adventure, imagination, meaningful moments, and original application of classic ideas.

The book's blind heroine paints complex world by describing her surroundings by sound, smell, and touch. While she thinks of the world as a dark place because that is all she sees, the reader begins to see that she is a central piece in a stunning world of color.

Each new char
Nicole
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
I have been giving A Hero's Curse to everyone I know that likes fiction! That's how much I liked it!

If you're wondering what age this appeals to: I gave A Hero's Curse to a 9 year old public schooled girl and it didn't keep her interest. I think it was over her comprehension level, also it's over 100 pages, and the only pictures are on the cover. I gave A Hero's Curse to a 10 year old homeschooled boy and he couldn't put it down. He finished it in two days! He said he really liked it.

I hope thi
Bryanna Williams
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have honestly really enjoyed this book. The main character is blind and must navigate throughout the story without having access to sight, but using her other senses to make sense and "see" the world. The story is well written and engaging, great for children in 3-6 I think. I certainly enjoyed it and hope another will be released soon to continue the story!
Tasha Turner
I may be biased towards the book because I backed it on Kickstarter. I've also grabbed a free Kindle version. Review to follow when I've read the book.
Caitlyn
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary Moerbe
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming tale about a girl who becomes a hero without particularly wanting to. Although she is blind, she gets into plenty of adventure—and secrets—by using her other senses and the training given to her by a rambunctious cat. That cat, by the way, uses enough sarcasm, snark, and humor to assure me that my oldest daughter will particularly love this series.

I read the first book quickly and have already started the next. There’s a steady pace to the action, unexpected developments, and
Priscilla Vorce
A blind heroine is good, but the writing is not so good.

It is a really great idea, but the author lacks the writing skills required to pull it off. I wish it had been better. 😕
Peggy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is very well written with a compelling story line. The name of creatures are well chosen with actual Latin based genealogy. So much leaves you wondering with so many unanswered questions.
Abigail Cossette Ryan
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is an excellent little adventure story. Essie is a blind girl with a talking cat who lives on a little farm on the outskirts of the kingdom. The king has disappeared, and there is unrest in the country. Essie ends up on an unexpected and unsolicited adventure in the wilderness of the Valley of Fire. Besides finding plenty of things that want to eat her, Essie meets new fantastical creatures and finds herself on a quest to find the king before it's too late.

I really enjoyed this story, Essie

• My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Apprentice (The Necromancer's Apprentice #1)
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Three
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
  • Maya & Filippo Visit a Glacier
  • The Tides of Avarice: A Sagaria Legend
  • Journey to Rainbow Island
  • Flesh
  • Eternal Spring
  • Dead Letter Office
  • Dark Territory (The Tracks, #1)
  • Traitor (Bridger, #2)
  • When They Come Calling (Anna's Nightmare, #1)
  • Tathea (Tathea, #1)
  • Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • The Silver Strand (Mastermind Academy, #1)
Parker is a scribbler and storycrafter who grew up on a cattle ranch in Southwestern New Mexico, married a wood nymph from the foothills of the Smokey Mountains and now follows three happy and endlessly curious little boys from one adventure to another.

The Unseen Chronicles (2 books)
  • Nightrage Rising (The Unseen Chronicles Book 2)