Start by marking “The Christmas Wife” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Wife

The Christmas Wife

Toymaker, Deacon Stone, needs a wife. If he isn’t married in less than a week his grandmother will sell her shares of the family business, and everything Deacon has worked his entire life for will be taken from him. He isn’t the husband type but he’ll do whatever it takes to keep control of the family business.

Single mother, Claire Brooks, dreamed of being an actress, not
Published November 29th 2015 by Elizabeth Kelly (first published November 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Wife

NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was definitely more steamy than I thought it would be! There was some hot chemistry and scenes. I did, however, want a little more basis to their connection than sex. While the sexy times obviously weren't an issue, I just didn't feel the romantic connection between them. This also had the big miscommunication which I usually hate (and I did) in regards to their feelings. I always enjoy the marriage-of-convenience type story, and I did enjoy this -- just not as muc
Denna✌
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omgah!!!!! I absolutely loved this!!! It was a sweet and hot read and with Christmas just around the corner it was perfect!! Okay so Deacon desperately needs a wife in order to keep his company and Claire has just been evicted from her apartment and with a small child being homeless is not an option. Claire is the housekeeper that cleans Deacons house, kids being kids Hattie had a lil accident and broke a really expensive statute. Well Claire ended up getting fired for this and Deacon felt bad a ...more
Sania
Standalone/Cliffhanger: Standalone
Ages of H and h: h is 26 and H is in his 30s
Multi-Luv'n/Ménages: (view spoiler)
Was There Descriptive Sex: (view spoiler)
Descriptive Sex &/Or Drama Between H/h With OW/OM: (view spoiler)
>>If So, Before or After H/h Hookup: (view spoiler)
Snigdha Prakash
I think I loved Deacon. Really. He was the best part about the book.
I didn't have a problem per se with the heroine but she seemed a little selfish to me. I don't think she did even one thoughtful thing for Deacon throughout the book.
And he deserved it. He really did.
Plus she was also klnda aimless. I don't know what her career ended up as at the end of the book.
Her daughter also got on my nerves. I really don't like kids who start crying at every little possible thing to get their way. It pisse
Jenny
This was such an adorable read!!

Claire is a single mother, struggling to make ends meet and properly provide for her seven year old daughter, Hattie.

Claire finds her worst fears smacking her in the face - eviction, with no where to go and no way to get the rest of rent.

When Claire is fired from her job because she was left without a babysitter to take care of her daughter, she starts to believe it couldn't get any worst.

Duncan Stone is running his family's toy making company. His grandmother war
Mandy
I really loved this super sweet holiday romance. I'm a sucker for a single parent romance where they fall in love with both the parent and the child. It just makes my heart all warm and fuzzy. Add in a little Christmas and sexy times and it was perfect! LOVED this one!
Frédérique
Lovely xmas story

Very well written, loved all the characters, read it in one go, a bit short but nothing felt rushed, a lovely Xmas story.
Jocelyn
In general, while this book was okay, there were a few things that irked me and ended up impacting the rating. For the most part, it was a straightforward (albeit cheesy) setup with a marriage of convenience. The female mc is a struggling, independent mom and a male li is a bachelor toymaker. The two major things that kept pulling me from the narrative however were:
1. The way the young daughter was written. There was something so incredibly forced about her that just made me very aware that I w
Dee
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF@75%

I really wanted to like this because I enjoy the author's writing style and I appreciate a story with sexual tension and steam. This, however, did not work for me.

By the mid-point, it felt more like a book about the heroine's 7-year-old daughter Hattie, rather than the relationship between the leads. A shame because I could hardly stand Hattie's character most of the time. Hattie seemed immature for her age; I really felt like her tantrums, willfulness, and disobedience (view spoiler)
Cherise
Short and sweet, just what I need. Christmas is my favorite time and this book already got a star just by taking place during that time.

I enjoyed this a lot. The characters are thoroughly well portrayed and seem real. Love seeing a bah humbug H with a big heart and being a real softie inside, fell head over heels in love with the h. The h is sweet and gentle and level headed, no over the top dramatics throughout the story yet you won't be bored with reading it. The winning touch here to me is a
Yasmin Vasquez
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

I really enjoying this book, a billionaire toymaker needs a wife to secure shares in his families company. He sets his eyes on Claire his former housekeeper. It starts out as a fake marriage but turns out to be true love.

Vickie***
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the title does sound a bit cheesy, this was a really nice read.

I'll admit the beginning did kinda bore me, but as I kept reading, I ended up really liking it.

This book has no roller coaster drama, it's a very sweet short read.
Ki Rose
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heroine was an ungrateful bitch. Kid was awful.
Ashley  Collins
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some readers will tell you that they have a few books they cherish above all. Books that touched their soul and they couldn’t imagine life without them. Finding a story that you can connect with is a rare find indeed. Yes, you can buy a book and love it, but just because you loved it doesn’t mean that you have the urge to reread it. I’ve read many books that I have loved but only are rare few that I’ve actually wanted to read more than once.

Those rare few I’ve connected with on another level. Wh
Louise Nunn
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a story based on lies gets real, it's hard to walk away from it. I can’t even tell you how much I enjoyed reading this book! I was gifted a free copy in exchange for an honest review, and this is seriously the easiest review I’ve ever had to write. This book is a touching, reality driven piece of art that captures the honest struggles of single moms everywhere. I could see myself in Claire and maybe that pulled me in deeper, but this story is more of everything that makes a story a classic. ...more
Adriana
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Germaine
Actually, this wasn't a bad book for a Christmas, marriage of convenience story. Single mom working as a maid marries the fabulously wealthy owner of one of the houses she cleans. He needs a wife to save his business and pays her $100,000 to marry him for one month. This being romancelandia, love and sex ensue. The problem is Heroine's seven year old daughter who acts like a three year old. She tries t0 rock climb on the shelves of Hero's library, every time they start to have sex she runs into ...more
ReadingInThe6ix
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a good balance of romance, steamy sexy scenes, and family that I really loved it.

I had fun reading about Claire and Deacon slowly realizing their attraction and falling in love. Similarly, Deacon's growth as a father figure to Hattie was just a pleasure to watch. I love when an author can really show a character's personal growth this well.

Overall I found myself smiling quite a bit reading this, all the way through the epilogue. I could have used some more of their private con
Angie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could actually have done with another 20 pages of this one - easily. It would have given more time o build up the relationship between Claire and Deacon (which was hot stuff and had promise in other areas, too) and even dip more into the tease that was Ellen and Jude... And it would have reduced Hattie's role in comparison. A little of that kid went a long way and I found her the least charming part of the book. More a plot point than a kid, really, and if she screamed about monsters one more ...more
Shelley
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute quick holiday stand alone read.

Deacon is a toymaker CEO who needs to marry by the end of the year to not have his Grandmother's controlling stocks given to his cousin. Claire is his maid and she and her seven-year-old, Hattie, have just been evicted from their apartment. So starts a contract for a fake month long marriage. Over time very real feelings get involved for all three of them living in Deacon's house as well as his kind Grandmother. Can they find a way to make their fake marriage
Kim
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful...

Good characters with a fun plotline. A little sappy in places, but it works. A romance with not too over the top sex scenes leaves more to the imagination... and my imagination works just fine Thank You very much.... Falling in love at Christmas time may be a bit cliche, but I think it's absolutely perfect for a romance story and especially for a happily ever after.
Sonia
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maid and the Toymaker

Single mum Claire just cannot catch a break until her daughter Hattie drops a somewhat expensive vase at batchelor Deacon's house. He makes her an offer she cannot refuse, marry him and be his wife for a month. 100 000 $ is quite a substantial amount and he is nice eye candy so she agrees. Now if only the chemistry between them was not so hot. An enjoyable read with lively characters that simply leap off the pages.
Maga Pali
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos-2018
Me encanto♥ Super linda esta historia. Me enamoré de Daecon y como se fue enamoran poco a poco de Claire y Hattie. Hattie es todo un personaje, me hizo reír mucho y a veces me frustraba sus interrupciones jajaja. Es una historia bien sencilla, nada del otro mundo. Pero fue muy tierna, dulce y excitante ajajjaja.
Amy Haas
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Oh, I just loved this book. From the moment I started until the very end. This book made me laugh and cry. It was a great Christmas romance but was very heavy on the sexual scenes if you're not into that kind of thing. The characters banter was very enjoyable and Hattie, the child, was so cute. The characters really came to life and I love that about a story.
SuzyHD
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Fun and very well written. A charming romantic comedy. At times seven year old Hattie will have you laughing out loud. The unusual start to a passionate blooming romance between Deacon and Claire was a delight to see develop. Light reading which I recommend.
Claudia Elizabeth
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like it, it's a very sweet story without unnecessary drama and very easy to read, recommended for a Sunday afternoon.

If you are looking for a cute story with a happy ending, then this is your book.
Diane Pope
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will love you always!

I am in tears over this sweet story. Deacon, Claire and Hattie make such a sweet family. I think it was Hattie who was the star of the story. I love a rags to riches tale.
Megan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute Christmas read.
Wolfgirl1982
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book

Really good book. Found it a bit predictable at the end though would have liked a bit more interaction of them as a family
Lyndac
What a great sweet holiday story!
  • The Lumberfox (Geekrotica, #1)
  • Reckless Temptations (Temptations #4)
  • Intent
  • How Forever Feels (Friends First, #4)
  • Stripped
  • The Connection (The Exception, #1.5)
  • Play Nice (The Devil's Share, #1)
  • Assumptions (Assumed Expectations, #1)
  • Seeing Red (Hearts and Minds, #3)
  • Finn
  • Snow-Kissed (Snow Queen, #1)
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Winter Cottage
  • A Syntax of Memory (Syntax #1)
  • Hammer & Nails
  • Blind Tiger (Wildcats, #2)
  • Over the Fence
  • Untot: Pausensnack (Undead, #1.5)
Elizabeth Kelly is a romance novelist who spends her days writing and pushing her cat Murray off the keyboard. She firmly believes that a person can survive solely on sushi and coffee, and only her husband's mad cooking skills prevents her from proving that theory.