Start by marking “Finding Charlie” as Want to Read:

2015 KINDLE SCOUT WINNER

It isn't like Charlie to stay out all night without calling, but maybe Olivia doesn't know her little sister as well as she thought.

When Charlie vanishes without warning, the people who love her are worried sick. Even if the law considers her an adult at nineteen, Charlie's still the baby of her already broken family. Older sister Olivia is determ
Published December 15th 2015 by Kindle Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Charlie

Start your review of Finding Charlie
Jessica
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
All my reviews can be found at: http://www.jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
This review will post on my site on April 23, 2020.
~~~~
Olivia and Charlie’s mom left them with their father 12 years ago and have not seen her since. And now Charlie is nineteen years old and has gone missing, which is unlike her. Olivia starts searching for Charlie in her own way, as the police won’t really do anything yet, as Charlie is of age. During her search Olivia learns more about Charlie than she ever expected.

This i
Maggie
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Her sister is missing!

In a family where the mom walked out when the kids were small, older sister Olivia became mother and sister to Charlie.

One day Charlie turns up missing. No one can reach her – not her father, not her sister, not her bestie. Worse, no one knows why she left without her car or cell phone.

The cops are no help, so Olivia starts piecing together Charlie’s last day and eventually learns she left town with a male acquaintance. Olivia traipses after her, eventually finding her in a
Layce Gardner
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has heart. It sucked me in and wrung me dry. Very good writing with a strong character arc.
Maria Riegger
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well-paced, thought-provoking read. There are always at least two sides to every story.
Karen Eisenbrey
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read a portion of this book on Authonomy.com and was very pleased to see it selected by Kindle Scout for publication. Even years later, I remembered it and eagerly supported this story of a family in crisis.

At one point, one of the protagonists is reading a novel featuring minor characters from an earlier book and notes that if everyone is the hero of their own story, everyone must also be side players in each other's stories. This is a book that does a good job of illustrating that, as it cov
Tricia Drammeh
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love books that have complex characters and explore seldom-addressed topics. This is that type of book. Finding Charlie is thoughtful and insightful. In our society, women who leave their families are demonized. This book delves into the reasons why a mother might choose to leave, and though I wanted to dislike the mother in this story, I couldn't help but empathize with her. I enjoyed this book - the characters, setting, the hint of mystery. Katie O'Rourke is officially one of my favorite aut ...more
Jennie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars on my new rating system

As with the author’s other books, the spotlight here is on modern family life and relationships. In this novel multiple strands of the past are cleverly unravelled; two sisters discover that there is more than they ever suspected hidden within their family’s past. Great characterisation, nice buildup of suspense, crisp writing. Overall a very enjoyable read. Highly recommended for women's and contemporary fiction readers.
Brian Betts
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Had trouble putting it down! Interesting look at complex family relationships. Told in alternating character voices which I enjoy.
Highly recommended!
Jeanne Felfe
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first ever audio book. I didn't think I would enjoy listening to a book since I love to read. However, I started this one and it pulled me right into the story. I listened on all my drives, while cooking supper, and while gardening. I was so entranced by the characters and the narrator that I couldn't wait to find a time to listen. So yay audio books!

I enjoyed the multiple point of view characters as it gave a chance to see this family drama from different perspectives. I felt like I
Terri
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charlie, a young woman, has gone missing and her family cannot seem to find her. Her father and her older sister, Olivia, are scared and don't know what to do. The one thing that they don't know is that when they are trying to find Charlie, she's trying to find herself.

This book does a great job of working with both meanings of the title--a physical search to find Charlie by her family, and the search that Charlie does to find herself. The synopsis leads readers to believe that this is much mor
Barbara Fricks
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given the opportunity to listen to this book for fee with Audible. The interesting aspect of this book is that it the story is told by each character and their perspective is given. Without giving too much away... Two sisters live with their father whose wife (their Mother) abandoned them years before. It’s Charlie who looks for and finds her, opening old wounds. With each character sharing their perspective the reader/listener is given the opportunity to see the vulnerability of each pers ...more
Marla Knaack
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Good family story.

It seemed more like a short story, but it was a really good story. I loved the format of having each chapter be in the first person about each character. I felt totally involved in the story, like it was my family. Charlie and Olivia are typical sisters, in the way of siblings kinda far apart in age. Roger is a solid character, and their mom comes across really real. I'd like to read it again.
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
A touching story about a family's relationships, told from each of their perspectives. You have the sensitive teen who tries to be different; the older, more "sensible" sister, who's had to raise her younger sister; a professional father who raises his two daughters; and the alcoholic mother who left the children she never wanted in the first place. The story isn't fast-paced or dramatic, but it digs into the emotions each character has faced throughout the years.
Ellen White
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finding Charlie. By Karptie ORourke
A marriage that hadn’t the support of each other to stay together, or to stay for the children. The burden falls to Olivia, to raise them, the father had turned to work. A life that was unknown of that of Charlie, has gone. As a parent would Olivia goes looking for her. Seeking answers of why, was needed for both Olivia and Charlie..Well written of a broken family.
Lisa
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Finding Charlie is a clean, easy to read family saga. The characters are good and the storyline is compelling. However I did feel a lack of emotion in this book even though it deals with emotional issues and it did end rather suddenly. I think this is a three and a half star book as I enjoyed it but I wanted more depth. Also, I'm not a huge fan of books told from multiple perspectives and this became annoying towards the end. This is only my opinion and I definitely think it is worth reading.
Jahda Grace
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good 👍

They story was good. I like the different points of view. It really showed how each character handle the situation at hand. I really hope that the story continues. I have so many questions does Olivia e st forgive her mother? Does Carmen accept the help that s so desperately needed? And many more. But this book was pretty good
karin whitehead
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finding Charlie

Olivia learns her younger sister she practically raised has disappeared. It's not something Charlie has done before. Katie O'Rourke writes a great family story, with characters to love. She does the twists perfectly and with foresight. I enjoy her books, you will, too.
Deedra
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
audible:This was a very good book.I enjoyed the characters and could relate.Charlottes mom leaves the family when she is 6 years old.When she is 18 she gets a letter from her mother and immediately makes a trek to see her. Kaitlin Chin was a terrific narrator.I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.'
Beverly J. Marshall
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forgiveness

I somewhat enjoyed this book. Grant it things happen in our lives that we can’t prevent. This book brought out the true feelings on both sides: Charlie’s willingness to forgive, Olivia hanging on to her anger and the mom with her feelings of guilt. Everyone pays.
Bonnie Blackledge
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading books by Katie O'Rourke, but this is the first time I tried an audiobook. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I did some of her other books. I do enjoy audiobooks, but sometimes I don't get as "into" them as the written word.
Linsey
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was fine. Decent story. There was nothing about it that I didn't like, but it just didn't really grab me.
Sarah Wright
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Second Chances

Great book about learning to forgive people who have wronged you in the past and giving them a second chance.
Lisa Anderson
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Glad I didn't pay for this

It was slow moving, with boring characters and a mundane plot. The story line was easy to follow but didn't pull you in.
windy otto
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great quick read

The characters in this book are so well developed you feel like you are talking to a friend. I will be looking out for more books by this author,
Cindra Spencer
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Sonja Randall
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice read.

Will we ever understand somebody else's motivation for doing something...
Debbie Desotell
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow

The book started out slow and I didn't start it for awhile after that. Once I did start reading it again it got better and then I really liked it.
Amy M. Sisul
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Unresolved

Story of sisters and forgiveness, resolve, and unresolved feelings. A non-ending ending. Seemed like a preview to a bigger story.
Kathy
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Finding Charlie is the story of a few days spent looking for the youngest member of a single-parent household, Charlotte (Charlie). Abandoned by their mother while young, Olivia, the older daughter in the household, ends up basically raising her younger sister, Charlie. When Charlie disappears, Olivia begins a frantic search for her. However, this is not the story of a little girl who has gone missing. Olivia is a working physical therapist. Charlie is a sophomore in the local college. Their mot ...more
Jack Bates
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the first section of this on a writer's forum, and then bought a copy after Katie won Kindle Scout with it. I don't know why it's taken me a year to read the rest, but books tell you when to read them, you can't force it (unless you're at college).

This is a neatly-plotted and very well written family story which, like all the best family stories, reminds the reader that everyone has their own version of their family history, and it's almost impossible to understand the thoughts and motiva

• This Secret Thing: A Novel
  • After All (Cape Harbor, #1)
  • Nell and Lady
  • Gators and Garters (Miss Fortune Mystery #18)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Girls of Brackenhill
  • Clueless in Cleveland (A Sam Carter Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Riddle Me This (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery, #2)
  • Best Laid Plans: A Samantha True Mystery (A Pacific Northwest Private Investigator Story Book 3)
  • Lipstick and Lies (Murder In Style, #2)
  • Catfished: A Rylie Cooper Mystery (Rylie Cooper Mysteries Book 1)
  • Conned in Cleveland: A Sam Carter Mystery
  • Don't Mess with Jess - Book #1: A fun, legal thriller, mystery: An Accidental Lawyer Short Read
  • Throttled: A Rylie Cooper Mystery: Book Three (Rylie Cooper Mysteries 3)
  • Suckered: A Rylie Cooper Mystery (Rylie Cooper Mysteries Book 2)
  • Tampered: A Rylie Cooper Mystery (Rylie Cooper Mysteries Book 4)
  • Drunk on a Plane (The Misadventures of a Drunk in Paradise #1)
  • Art and Apprehension in Las Vegas: A Tiffany Black Mystery (Tiffany Black Mysteries Book 22)
I was born and raised in New England, growing up along the seacoast of New Hampshire. I went to college in Massachusetts and graduated with a degree in gender and sexuality. I live in Tucson, Arizona where I am always writing my next book.

I'm a hybrid author. My debut novel, Monsoon Season, was traditionally published along with A Long Thaw, which I later rereleased on my own. Finding Charlie, was