Start by marking “Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin

Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin

(Star Wars: Miniseries)

Before their military heroism in the Clone Wars, before their tragic battle on Mustafar and many decades before their final confrontation on the Death Star, they were Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his young Padawan, Anakin Skywalker. Now join them a few years into Anakin's, "chosen one" training. Teacher and student have grown closer over time, but it's been a difficult road. ...more
Published July 19th 2016 by Marvel Comics (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Chad
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charles Soule's Marvel work has been lackluster at best. So I was pleasantly surprised that this was actually good. Obi-Wan and Anakin are sent to investigate a distress signal on a planet that is supposed to be abandoned. The debris field around the planet is almost impossible to get through and they crash land. They soon find their are survivors on the planet and they are at war. In fact, the war has been going on for so long that no one knows which side actually destroyed the atmosphere by un ...more
Sam Quixote
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Set between (shudder) The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan Anakin Skywalker answer a distress call on a mysterious planet - and quickly become embroiled in a bitter conflict between two sides.

Yuck, a prequel comic! Well there had to be one for the (misguided) fans of those movies, eh? And what a stinker it is! Yeah there are flashbacks to features of those awful movies which leave an awful taste behind but it’s Charles Soule’s crummy writing th
Sud666
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
What a great little Star Wars tale! Obi-Wan and Anakin takes places a few years after the events of Phantom Menace. Anakin is a gifted young Jedi Padawan, but he has great trouble in controlling his emotions. Anakin is starting to think that perhaps the Jedi order is not for him. In order for his master Obi-Wan and he to think things over, Yoda send them both to investigate a Jedi distress call from a far part of the galaxy.
What follows is a great story about war, hate and the mindset of people
Holden Johnson
Excellent series. Couldn't ask more from a 5 Volume comic.

Anakin and Obi-Wan show something that everyone from star wars needs to see.
Anakin growing up.

Something that the prequels didn't do the best job at(disclaimer, I love the prequel trilogies for what they are, faults and all), is portraying Anakin's emotional slide to the dark side. Overall, there are about 6+ hours of footage that can be crammed into the films. Sure the main plot points and events that caused that(for the most part) are t
Paul E. Morph
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of the Obi-Wan and Anakin team; it's actually one of my favourite dynamics in the saga; and I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

The only thing I felt let it down a bit was that the planet it takes place on didn't feel very 'Star Wars-y' to me. I know, I know... it's a big galaxy with plenty of room for lots of varied planets, but this one just felt a bit too cyberpunk for my tastes. Still, an OK read.
Sesana
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, comics
Hm. There are some serious high points in this book. The art, to start with, is absolutely gorgeous. And entirely unlike anything else that I've seen in the new Star Wars comics. It's far more stylized than the other books have been, and I loved that. The portion of the story set on Coruscant was interesting to see, how Palpatine first came to meddle in Anakin's life. And Soule does a good job of showing the connection between Anakin and Obi-Wan. However, the bulk of the story, set on a planet e ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Vote: 3,5

Marco Checchetto's artworks were just awesome and I liked a lot the Anakin/Palpatine's sub-plot, but the main storyline was just far from being really interesting for me.

Such a shame :/
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Loved it! we see in those 5 issues Anakin's confusion, he doesn't know where he belongs.
description

The story covers past and present, we see how chancellor palpatine is trying to trick Anakin[past], and we will know about a new planet where Open and Close are fighting each other[present]
description
Brandon St Mark
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

I have no idea why this is rated as low as it is, and why a lot of people I've hear talk about this book say it was a let down. I think it helps to show how strong the bonds between Anakin and Obi-Wan and Anakin and Sheev (the Chancellor) are respectively.

I wish Disney would go back and do more stories like this before the original trilogy rather than just ignoring the prequels. Where the prequel's great? No. Are they really all that bad? Again, no. They are certainly di
Andreas
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
One star for the art and half a star because it's Star Wars.
Anthony
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Solid 3 stars. It's never quite the fun Obi-Wan and Anakin stuff we get in The Clone Wars. There's too much steampunk stuff going on as well. The high points are the flashbacks to coruscant with Palpatine and some other familiar faces.
Ivy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Star Wars
Good to see Obi-Wan and Anakin in their own comic. Hope they will be able to fix the Open and Closed War. Glad that the people may finally know peace.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars comics!!!!!
Eleriel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wasn't impressed.
The plotline on Carnelion IV looked like it was heavily borrowed from "The Uncertain Path" by Jude Watson.
(view spoiler)
Stephanie
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dude I really liked this one. The Jedi Order is so shaky though.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
An interesting look at Anakin's training early on with Obi-Wan, as well as the impact both the Republic and force users have on the galaxy around them.

Full review to come.
Austin Zook
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well played, Marvel. Well played.

This is a beautifully drawn examination of Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship during the period between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, wherein they visit a (supposedly) dead planet that's transmitted an ancient Jedi distress call, only to find that it's not quite as dead as everyone was led to believe.

There are two warring factions (imaginatively named the "open" and "closed") who each blame the other for the world's destruction, and a whole host of
Travis Duke
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
(2.5) A side story that doesn't bring anything new to the table. Its a soft spot because who doesn't want to learn more about the Obi-wan and Anakin relationship but aside from Anakin questioning his Jedi future (also nothing we didnt know really) there isn't any tasty details like in the new Vader series of main line star wars series. I hate to admit this but its Disney filler. I had read this was a weaker series and so far I would agree especially compared to the other strong one i mentioned a ...more
Loup Coudray
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best Marvel Star Wars comics i have read yet.
The action takes place in a period that had rarely been treated in the expanded universe (between episodes I and II... what a nice change from the traditional Clone Wars!).
Anakin & Obi-Wan's characters are really respected, all their actions and reactions are convincing from what we know of them in the movies -maybe Anakin is a bit too mature in this comic book, but it's ok. The small 'flashback' part of Anakin with Palpatine is rea
Robert
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice art, if a bit murky in places, and an earnest examination of the Master-Padawan relationship between Good ole Ani and Obi before everything went to Mustafar...

I'll agree with some other reviews here in that the planet wracked by the conflict between the Open and the Closed didn't feel too Star Wars-y, more like a pastiche of Mad Max and Gulliver's Travels!

I'll probably give the next volume a try, though, if I can find it.
Neil R. Coulter
The prequel era is by far my least favorite Star Wars setting--the movies really ruined the stories that I'd looked forward to for most of my life. I don't enjoy the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, and so it's predictable the this graphic novel was going to be a hard sell for me. Setting it in the time between Episodes 1 and 2 was actually a really good choice. Though I didn't love the story, I liked it more than I expected. It reminded me a little bit of the Kanan graphic novel, which ...more
Hannah
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars!!
Lance Shadow
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
For the new line of Marvel Star Wars Comics, Obi Wan and Anakin is treading unexplored ground. Yes, I know the original iteration of the expanded universe explored this time period extensively (heck, what time period DIDN'T the EU explore?). Up until this point, aside from Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, which was the last Star Wars comic and the only officially canonical one published by Dark Horse Comics, all of the new comics have centered on the original trilogy. Even the earliest comic chrono ...more
Vanessa
I've always wanted to see more of the Obi-Wan & Anakin relationship between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, so I obviously bought this as soon as I saw it (a concept: Someone writes a book about their very first year together, showing us how they get used to each other).

The story is good, but a bit simple. I didn't mind, cause this is a one-shot and you can do only so much with that. There was a nice twist here and there and a really great scene showing the reader how Palpatine mani
Michael Galdamez
Meh. I enjoyed the Palpatine/Anakin and Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic throughout it, but the main plot was just contrived and didn't feel like Star Wars at all. It was like a weird Metal Gear/Hatfields and McCoys/Mad Max with blimps mixture of doodie. And goodness, those names! The two fighting people groups are called "Open" and "Closed"?? How long did it take Soule to come up with that?

I'd say if you want a Star Wars comic with some good art and interesting Anakin backstory (don't worry, he isn't whi
Chuy Ruiz
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
This was a very fun and entertaining read. Reads like a short graphic novel, and has fantastic art. Takes place between Episodes I and II and follows them on a mission where they are following a Jedi distress signal into an unknown planet and find themselves involved in a local conflict soon after.
Nicole
A (pleasantly surprising) gift from a friend. Very nice art, especially the way Obi-Wan is depicted. The story is self-contained; yet it also deals with Anakin’s doubts about and struggles with Jedi way, along with Palpatine’s efforts to influence him.
Lost Darren
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Didn't expect much from this, and it's certainly nothing revolutionary, but I was surprised how much I did end up enjoying it. Much as the movies are endlessly debated, I grew up in the "prequel era" and thus love them, so it's nice to fill in some more of that with this smaller scale story.
Joe
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was very "fan-fictiony" and that's not a compliment in this case.
Bobby Z.
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of these newer Marvel Star Wars comics are killin' it
Marina
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟
Loved this, beautiful art and the characters are true to the characters from the movies.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 2: Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit
  • Star Wars: Vader Down
  • Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (Star Wars)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: Shattered Empire
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • Star Wars: Rebel Heist
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Volume 9: Demon

Star Wars: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Star Wars: Princess Leia