Start by marking “Uncanny X-Men: Superior, Volume 1: Survival of the Fittest” as Want to Read:
Uncanny X-Men: Superior, Volume 1: Survival of the Fittest

Uncanny X-Men: Superior, Volume 1: Survival of the Fittest

(Uncanny X-Men: Superior (Collected Editions) #1)

Desperate times call for a darker team of X-Men! With mutantkind in extinction's crosshairs once more, Magneto leads a group of the deadliest that homo superior has to offer to fight for the fate of their species! Refusing to accept even one more mutant death, the most ruthless possessors of the X-gene on Earth -deadly warriors such as Sabretooth, Fantomex, Mystique and Ps ...more
Published July 12th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny X-Men

Sam Quixote
Sep 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is the third and final main X-Men book currently being published and, yup, it’s also a stinker - 0 for 3, Marvel, take a bow!

The line-up in this one is: Magneto, Sabretooth, Psylocke, Archangel, Monet St Croix, and Mystique.

A group of mutants and Inhumans called the Dark Riders are hunting down all mutant healers. The Terrigen Mist - this awful plot device that refuses to go away is an unavoidable feature of all X-Men titles these days - is sterilising/killing mutants and the Dark Riders
James DeSantis
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
You know what? This wasn't half bad.

So take probably the meanest X-men characters and clump em together to take on the evil's of the world. Magneto, Psylock, Sabertooth, and more and create a team of badass warriors to face off against the worst of the worst. This is similar to X-Force in ways yet not as heroic and maybe not as bloody but still just as rugged. Can this team of Uncanny X-men stop the evil's of the world by being just a tad bit evil?

Good: The strongest part of this series is eas
Sesana
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I think this is my least favorite post-Secret Wars book yet. Mostly because it's a mishmash of characters that doesn't particularly make sense, many of them acting in ways that seem out of character. Both Sabretooth and Monet seem nothing like themselves. Maybe there will be an explanation for why Sabretooth is holding back or why these characters are working together, but there isn't one here. They just are. Between a team that looks like it was built by throwing darts at a Marvel poster, chara ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Ok, all-new Magneto/Fassbender Land-style and almost all of the other mutants in this lineup seem act a lot out of character... But, surprise, I liked a lot the storyline, the art and this Uncanny X-Men new rooster seems a really good mix of Remender's X-Force and Erik's kickass team in the Age of Apocalypse.

Absolutely not a masterwork but still far better than expected.

A nice surprise.
Blindzider
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This would have received 3.5 stars, except it is drawn by Greg Land. The guy hasn't improved any on his storytelling after all these years which is a shame. Too busy looking up photo references I guess.

There's no real explanation or summary for why this team formed. Magneto has created his version of the X-Men which apparently is still fighting for Xavier's dream, but he basically runs it like X-Force (the Kyle/Yost version not the Liefeld version) meaning killing is acceptable.

There's also no e
Jonathan
4 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed Bunn's run on the solo Magneto series. I'm glad he's getting to expand upon that with this latest X-team. This has a lot of the feel of Remender's Uncanny X-Force to me.

So with the terrigen mists killing mutants planet wide, a group called the Dark Riders are hunting and killing all mutant healers. Magneto and his team are able to save Triage and as usual, Magneto is willing to do what it takes to get rid of a threat to mutant kind.

Tundextra
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-men-books
Hmmm... Magneto, M, Psylocke, Archangel and... Sabretooth! I think this is just X-Force in different clothing? Someone's targeting mutant healers so Magneto and co. go after them. Also Hellfire Club has some new contractors... Fantomex & Mystique! More good stuff from Bunn with some solid characterisations and fare few nice sub-plots. The series has potential. 6 out of 12.
Travis Duke
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have come to realization not to expect to much from marvel, that way when a decent title does come around I am pleasantly happy. This is a team that I like, Magneto is ruthless and doesn't take crap from anyone and his new team doesn't either. Sabertooth, Pslocke, Angel, and Monet join Magneto in a fight to save the mutant healers. I have to stop and say Greg Land is a phenomenal artist and his detail and consistency is incredible, i love it. I'm on board with the new uncanny x-men.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

I follow Arcangel wherever he goes. This time, it means I read the Uncanny X-Men (post Secret Wars) comic. The rest of the lineup includes Magneto, Psylocke, Sabretooth, and Monet.

Weird crew.

Obviously, this X-team are the most aggressive team of mutants this go around. How could they not be with that kind of lineup?

These five issues as a whole, however, were fairly...meh. It was entertaining, I guess. I liked the idea of all the mutant healers being assassinated, I just had a hard time wrapping
Arturo
I always disliked when people would say a character is written out of character, unless it was truly horrible writing, I kinda always just rolled with the punches.
You say Hal Jordan is evil, now known as Paralax, ok.. you're the weaver of tales.
I don't know if Iv gotten to that point of disgruntled comic fan boy, or this is just bad. The second X-Men comic Iv ever bought was about Sabretooth and Psylocke fighting to the death. And here not only are they getting along, they joke and if I remember
Craig
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This is basically X-Force in a new guise, with some carryover from previous iterations in the form of Psylocke and Fantomex. It's a mutant black ops unit, fighting against the threats to mutantkind. The artwork is great. The story, at least in this volume, is rather scattershot. Hopefully this will come together in further volumes. I'm rating it a bit higher than it probably deserves, based on memories and past experience.
Cody
Let's play a little game called: how many classic X-Men characters can we kill?
Frédéric
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, x-whatever
Introducing the new wetworks bunch of X-Men.

A wild but not very likeable bunch under the lead of a pompous Magneto-the guy likes hearing himself talk-intent on saving mutants with Gestapo methods. Erik should hire some PR staff if he wants to stay in business.

After having a mutant killed by preventing him to hide, our crew locks horns with a with a weird group of darwinists-including mutants-believing mutants extinction is in the order of things. Survival of the fittest and all that but they thi
Brent
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: fiction, superhero, comics
Nice, shiny superhero art by Greg Land. Nice reappearance of many characters, many villains as heroes. And, what's up with Angel/Archangel, whose backstory is as convoluted as any here?
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]

The X-Men aren't doing so well. The Terrigen Mists are killing them and stopping them from having little mutant babies, and Magneto is sick and tired of his race being kicked while they're down. So of course, he forms a new black-ops X-Men team to go and deal with mutant problems. Sabretooth, Psylocke, Monet, and a strange new Archangel form his ranks, with Fantomex, Mystique, and a mysterious old/new player hanging around on the outskirts too.

Cullen Bunn is one of the mor
Terence
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just as life appeared to be turning back to normal for mutants, the terrigen mist cloud was released. The terrigen mist cloud transforms Inhuman descendants, but it makes mutants sick.
description
Subsequently many mutants have gone to great lengths to hide from the cloud.
description
Making matters worse the Dark Riders are seeking mutant healers for execution.
description
The mutant healers and all mutant kind have an unlikely defender, Magneto and his mutant team.

I picked up Uncanny X-Men out of curiosity. The lineup of Magento, P
David
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Have a few minor quibbles with the book but I enjoyed it for the most part. Felt like the author wasn't overly familiar with the characters and their universe. Betsy was slinging too many American phrases. Didn't sound British in the least. Lots of little things like that just didn't quite work right.

And why is Sabretooth on the team? Why did Psylocke's eyes change color? How did Archangel dive bomb a stone pyramid and come out the other side? Has he got a new set of powers? He was never able t
Noetic_Hatter
More like 2.5 stars.

As a high school kid back in the day, I was in fanboy lust over Jim Lee's Psylocke. But I never liked her, and I still don't. In fact, this team is made of unlikable people. I toughed it out, and it has some moments, such as Sabretooth's telling Monet who smells better than she does - including Rogue, Polaris, and Cable. ("Old Spice and Gunpowder")

As usual, Greg Land's artwork is pretty -- but lifeless.
Paul E. Morph
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm usually a big fan of Cullen Bunn's stuff but this was just OK. It didn't help that it was saddled with Greg 'lightboxer' Land's artwork but I think I'm just not a fan of the whole 'dark' X-Men concept. Call me tragically old-fashioned but I prefer my heroes to be heroic.

Don't get me wrong; this wasn't terrible but I guess I'm not the target audience.
Kay
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as abandoned
I'm not rating this because I put it down shortly after I picked it up & I'm trying to be a little giving/kinder by not choosing two stars. I thought the writing was bleh, and I didn't really care for the team up.
Michael Hicks
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought, comics
With Jonathan Hickman's run having just started with Marvel's mightiest mutants, I've made a vow to catch up on my backlog of X-Men books in time for the trade edition collecting House of X and Powers of X. Having read Jeff Lemire's run on Extraordinary X-Men up to the Inhumans vs. X-Men crossover, I decided to first dive into Dennis Hopeless's All-New X-Men relaunch and waded through the first two volumes, already regretting my decision to play catch-up. Then I checked out Cullen Bunn's X-Men: ...more
Michael Church
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This is my second post-Secret Wars book, and I’m sending a trend. There’s an 8 month time jump between the end of Secret Wars and where this picks up. You won’t get any information about what happened in the time jump. Things will be freaking weird. It will be as if Secret Wars never happened (rendering the whole exercise, including its 70+ issue lead-in, utterly pointless). Your best bet is to buckle in and try to enjoy the ride.

This isn’t a bad one. It’s certainly a different type of team to
ComicReviewsByJeff
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel

"Didn’t we tell you? All mutant healers have been marked for death. You’re next.”

So Magneto has his own team of X-Men. It’s not really clear why the team has come together or what their plan is. After rescuing some mutants from corporate exploitation, for example, the team just as quickly kicks these selfsame mutants to streets – homeless, broke and unprotected – just ‘cause Magneto ain’t the mollycoddling type. Cue the evil Dark Riders, back in the game and out to kill all mutant healers (for r
Alex E
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The latest Uncanny team while interesting, failed to captivate me into caring what is happening in this book.

I am giving Bunn a bit of slack as its the first volume, and usually, we need to setup a lot of moving parts for the payoff down the line. I hope that's what is happening here.

This book is basically the "dark" X-men, who are trying to help mutant kind by any means necessary. However is not nearly as engaging or pretty to look at as X-Force, who did it a lot better back when Remender was
Quentin Wallace
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I've stated in prior reviews, I'm a little shaky on current X-Men continuity but I'm able to grasp enough to enjoy what I've been reading. The mutants are currently dying out due to the Terrigen Mists, so Magneto has formed a proactive group featuring Sabretooth, Psylocke, Monet and a damaged Archangel to do what they can to save the mutants. I'm not sure what happened to Archangel but he's a mindless shell now guided by Psylocke, like a big destructive mutant missile she can aim where she pl ...more
Jen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a history of really enjoying the uncanny x-men, especially Betsy and Warren (although Warren is gone in this one... I have to backtrack and see when he fell into Archangel permanently).

I was also glad to see Monet; I loved the X-Factor team as well for the like twenty books they have.

Did not like the art, specifically the women all looking similar in face and body type, and the way they are drawn sexualized and ‘coy’ - putting their thumbs in their mouths while talking, one example.
Jenna
Interesting group. I know nothing of Monet and why does Psylock suddenly has a pink butterfly mask of power? But yay! She finally has some pants.... A lot of the Magneto / X-Men dynamic of how to save mutant kind feels familiar from all other similar storylines, so let’s see if it improves next volume. Still not a fan of the whole Inhuman VS mutant, Terrigen threat bit.

Nice clean drawing style and an extremely menacing Magneto.
Thomas
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This wasn't that good. Definitely skippable in favor of other, better Uncanny X-Men runs. I do not feel compelled to read the rest of this run.

There was one standout moment for me, where Magneto quoted the leader of the chicken men of Krankor, from the MST3K episode "Prince of Space": "Your weapons are useless against me!"
C
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Continuing the great x-read of 2017/18...

This one is slightly better than Extraordinary but not by a whole lot. The overarching plot is still a bit of a mess (who cares about these mists, anyway?) and characters don't act like themselves whatsoever (Seriously, this is not Monet...). I'm really hoping these post-secret wars books get better as I am just not impressed so far.
Aidan
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
What takes out Healers even faster than a Trump-enabled GOP? A team of ruthless killers determined to stop mutants with healing factors saving others from the forces of 'natural selection', that's what. Enter Magneto and the Uncanny X-Men to out-badass the bad guys. Is it fun? I mentioned Magneto, right? Now if we can only get him to run in 2018....
« previous 1 3 next »

• Magneto: Not a Hero
  • Silver Surfer: Parable
  • X-Men: Onslaught - The Complete Epic, Book 1
  • Cantarella, Volume 6
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more

Uncanny X-Men: Superior (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Uncanny X-Men: Superior, Volume 2: Apocalypse Wars