Start by marking “Antik Kentler: Antik Yakındoğu, Mısır, Yunan ve Roma'da Kentsel Yaşamın Arkeolojisi” as Want to Read:

Antik Kentlerde antik Yakındoğu, Mısır, Yunan ve Romanın kent ve medeniyetleri arkeolojik bakışla sunuluyor. Odak noktası kentsel merkezler olan kitapta mimari ve diğer maddi kalıntılar, tarihsel ve sosyoekonomik bağlamlar, buralarda yaşamış insanların deneyimleri ele alınıyor.
Charles Gates, kentsel merkezlerin izini Yakındoğunun MÖ dokuzuncu ve altıncı binyıllarda ortaya
Published September 2015 by Koç University Press (first published August 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Antik Kentler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antik Kentler

Start your review of Antik Kentler: Antik Yakındoğu, Mısır, Yunan ve Roma'da Kentsel Yaşamın Arkeolojisi
Lauren Albert
I've been also watching the Teaching Company's class on the ancient city. I have to say that I think the archaeologist/professor covers a lot more in those short classes than this book does. Gates seems to veer off to other archaeological sites that are not based in a city and I'm not sure why. I do recommend the class as far as I've gotten. I think the book is best for students of archaeology rather than for people interested, as I am, in urban studies.
Brian Turner
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book takes the reader on a tour of various ancient cities across the Mediterranean and Near East. I found some of the focus on architecture a little dry, but Gates nicely salts his narrative with excerpts of political and social history, which helps bring the cities a little more alive.

It's real strength is just how comprehensive this book is - I don't know of anything similar in scope, which makes it fantastic as a reference for anyone interested in any aspect of ancient
Joanna
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wide ranging and easy to follow. This book is an excellent introduction to the archaeology and architecture of ancient cities and prehistoric sites. It begins coverage in the Neolithic and continues into the reign of Constantine the Great, the end of antiquity, and does not spend too much time on any one place or structure. Important sites are emphasized and when detail is lacking the author is sure to mention why. Overall, a great introductory text.
High Wycombe Library
Focussing on city plans and architecture, Ancient Cities looks at the cities of the Ancient Near East, Egypt and the ancient Greek and Roman Worlds.

Ancient Cities is written in such a way as to require no background in archaeology and is packed with beautiful photographs and illustrations. ^GE

If you liked Ancient Cities why not try:
Secrets Of Lost Empires: Reconstructing The Glories Of Ages Past by Michael Barnes
The Story Of Archaeology: An Illustrated History Of 50 Great Discoveries by
James
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, skimmed
I'm pretty sure I've read the first edition when it first came out, some of the photos and drawings are familiar. A fun read on the physical aspects of ancient civilizations, some of which I skipped or skimmed, I've read some of this in other works. Fantasy writers can gain insight on the non-cultural aspects of ancient life and you can use some of the maps if you still play old-school RPGs with paper and not computers. People who are not architectural nerds may find it a bit dry.
Alexandra
Another read from my History of Archaeology class. This book is much drier and a lot hard and less enjoyable to read.
Tom Menke
fantastic book to leave around people are drawn to it
Hunter R.