Start by marking “Destination Thailand” as Want to Read:
Destination Thailand

Destination Thailand

(The Lonely Hearts Travel Club #1)

What if you had a second chance… to find yourself?

Instead of slipping on her something borrowed and tripping up the aisle to wedded bliss, Georgia spends her big day crying into a warm Sex-on-the-Beach, wondering where it all went wrong.

Forced to make a bucket list of her new life goals by best friend Marie, it’s not long before travel-virgin Georgia’s packing her bags for
Published January 21st 2016 by Carina

Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Katy Colins is a new name on the chick lit scene, but even months before the release of the her debut, 'Destination Thailand', twitter and other social media were buzzing about her book. Based on the author's life and traveling adventures, 'Destination Thailand' was surely one of the most anticipated 2016 books for many bloggers I know. The minute I read the blurb (bride jilted at
Elaine
After being jilted by her two timing fiancé just before their planned wedding and sacked from her job, Georgia is reevaluating her life. Taken away to Turkey by her best friend, Marie, she makes a bucket list of things she’s like to do and is encouraged to go for it!

Events conspire to help naive Georgia set out for the adventure of her life backpacking in Thailand. Needless to say, nothing goes quite as planned, with an untrustworthy tour guide, teasing, unsupportive travel companions, bugs to e
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed on Becca's Books.

Allow Katy Colins to whisk you away from the drizzly norm, to the humid and tropical shores of Thailand, alongside Georgia Green as she sets out to rediscover the very best parts of herself. This is exactly what happened when I began reading Destination Thailand by Katy Colins. Passionate travel blogger, and now Carina author, this is Katy's first book in The Lonely Hearts Travel Club series and I honestly couldn't have loved it more if I'd tried. In fact, th
Lauren
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because I'd read the author's story and blog (though according to her ex-fiance, her story may not be all that it's cracked up to be). This book seems to be based pretty closely off of her life.

I knew this would be a light read, so I didn't go into it with terribly high hopes. Based on that, I would say it performed well. It was a light read and was fun to read.

The writing was alright. I felt that Georgia's character was very naive which was incredibly obnoxious most of the time.
Kim
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2015, net-galley
After a relationship breakup Georgia finds herself booking a backpacking trip to Thailand armed with a bucket list of things she wants to do in her newly single life.
The original trip is fraught with disasters and dubious characters but her travel agent had given her the name of a place to head to if she ran into difficulties and then she started to experience the sort of holiday she'd set out to have!
It was a great trip with Georgia- almost made me want to try backpacking around Thailand! I lov
Orsolya
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Travel writing this is not. At 28 the pathologically naive and gullible protagonist travels to Thailand, but manages to enjoy it only when there's a guy around. The writing is OK, the strongest during the UK scenes. It feels as if the author wasn't really sure about this whole Thailand business, and trots out all the clichés many Westerners can't get beyond: being fed cockroaches, sex workers, brown people who either try to scam you or act as an everyday Buddha - a Thai fisherman has an amazingl ...more
Celia Tuckfield
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was advertised as 'Bridget Jones goes travelling'.

It is better than Bridget Jones. The characters made me laugh. All of the way through you were waiting for the next calamity to happen to Georgia, I even found myself saying noooooo out loud!!

A really enjoyable read that made be lol on more than one occasion.
Emma
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great chicklit to read on the beach, especially since I am currently in Thailand myself! If you don’t like chicklits, this isn’t the book for you, but if you’re looking for an easy, fun and quick read, this is a great choice.
Jody
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review first posted on my blog 'A Spoonful of Happy Endings': http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

Georgia Green was supposed to get married to her long-term boyfriend, but instead life threw her a few curve balls and now she finds herself on a quick trip to Turkey, lying on the beach with her best friend Marie while crying her eyes out. When she also gets fired from her job, Georgia realises she desperately needs a break from everything, preferably as far away as possible. With a bucket list
Elsie
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I disliked so many things about the main character but I mostly disliked her constant need to be validated by a man. Also, certain things did not make sense to me. She is a 28 y/o woman in Manchester who doesn't feel like she's traveled, yet she is pondering this while vacationing in Turkey. Is that not a different country with different customs and language? That's traveling. It also mentions that she's been to Portugal and have made numerous trips to Edinburgh and France but they don't count. ...more
Riana
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia finds herself whisked away to Turkey by her best friend in order to take her mind off her canceled wedding and cheating ex-fiancé. Here she is urged by Marie to scribble down a list of daring things she would like to achieve as an independent, newly single woman. Georgia’s list basically comes down to one thing: travel. Being irrevocably drawn to Thailand, Georgia gathers all her courage and embarks on a tour to the exotic unknown.

Not being a usual reader of girly romance novels, I was
Jenni
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was like a romantic comedy movie in book form. Which is to say it was predictable, but also entertaining and enjoyable. Something happens to a girl, she decides to do things, obstacles are on the way, she eventually "finds herself", some more obstacles, and finally more finding oneself and coming up with a purpose. There are times when you need something like that in your life, and now was when I needed it. Also, as someone who's traveled a bit (not in Asia though), some of the issues and a ...more
Steffi
Dumped by her fiance Georgia decides to follow her dreams and go travelling. An adventure begins...

Georgia is a really sweet woman, a bit naive though and she had me rolling my eyes quite a few times. Still I enjoyed her journey a lot. I liked how she was growing into it and it was very believable that not all things went after plan.

The journey itself was a lot of fun and i enjoyed the different experiences Georgia made. It definetely made me want to go travelling, maybe not backpacking though.
T
Oda Renate
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, empowering book. Reading the sequel soon.
Colemn Labrador
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Read it mostly to reminisce the good times i had in Thailand. I hated its portrayal of Bangkok, the hostels in Thailand, and the Thais in general. I think it exaggerated some details just to make Georgia more pathetic. It was an easy read; i didnt miss much by skipping parts. Also, had a very predictable plot it was almost unexciting. Also, I just didn't feel the chemistry between the protagonist and the final partner. Georgia was, in spite of being too gullible, relatable, nonetheless.

Bottomlin
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I head Katy had netted herself a deal with Carina I was hugely excited. I’ve wanted to read Katy’s writing for a long time and was so glad we would all finally have the chance.

(Also, HOWBEAUTIFULISTHECOVER?!)

I must say I was a little dubious at first – novels about travelling or ones set in foreign climes aren’t always my favourite. I’ve never left England (boo hoo) and only managed to get a passport this year (which I still haven’t used yet) so I’m not very au fait with foreign culture, cl
Evangeline
Light, frothy fun, not to be taken too seriously (though I hate the title!)

Perfect as a beach read, fluff with the added benefit of being (partly) about travel.

Nikki
I enjoyed this book and it is a nice one to pick up if you are looking for a book that doesn't make you think and moves fast.
A good light summer/holiday quick read.
Sam Still Reading
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of light, funny stories
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: the internet
I was looking for something light and funny to read and my internet trawling suggested that this book would fit the bill. After all, who doesn’t enjoy books that travel to exotic, warm locales in the middle of winter? I’d also heard that this book had been compared to Bridget Jones and I adore Bridget, so I thought dropping $10 on the paperback was worth it. Note that I wouldn’t classify this as a romance novel, so don’t jump to any assumptions just because it’s published by Mills & Boon in ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing

It takes a very rare book for me to be enjoying so much by half way through that I was already wondering just what the next ones in the series would be, and how the destinations would be dealt with. And that is exactly what happened to me during Destination Thailand. I was so hooked on the writing of Georgia's adventure that I need to read books two and three and really don't want to wait.

Anyone that knows me knows that I love travel and also reading about foreign locations in books, so in that
Simona
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Book provided by the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Finally! I was so excited to read this. First of all I’d just like to say that I0’m very proud of Katy and look at this gorgeous cover <3.

The story follows Georgia. We meet her on a beach, crying over her broken engagement It’s ment to be her wedding day, but Alex ended everything a few weeks before… Georgia is a mess and doesn’t know what do do.

Back home her best friend Marie forces her to write a bucket list of th
Alexandra Consolver
4 - lots of fun.

4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy a fluffy beach read, especially one that is comedic (think Bridget Jones), or related to travel.

Georgia Green has just been dumped, two weeks before her wedding. Not only that, she's lost her job. When her friend prompts her to make a list of all the things she's dreamed of doing, but put off, Georgia realizes it's time to start seeing the world. She books a tour of Thailand, and heads out on an adventure. The trips turns out to be a disaster. C
Erin
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in Katy Colin's Lonely Hearts Travel Club series following main character and almost bride to be Georgia Green on a journey of self discovery. The journey takes Georgia to Thailand in the first instalment of this series.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was living vicariously through Georgia and her solo travelling. Reading this series is about as close to backpacking as I will ever get as I'm just not cut out for it.

At the start of the story Georgia is a
Karen Mace
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
I received a copy of this via NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review

This book was the perfect getaway read on a very dark, rainy depressing January day for me!! From the wonderfully colourful cover to the journey of hope that the main character Georgia encountered it was just wonderful to read.

Georgia Green was living a dream life with the seemingly perfect fiancee, wedding all planned and set and living together but that all changed one night when her fiancee Alex came home one night
Frenchorchidea
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really really enjoyed reading this book. I love travelling and backpacking and reading a book about a girl who decides to travel to Thailand by herself was just for me! I really liked how the main character Georgia discovers herself while travelling, how she gets stronger and how she starts to feel better while meeting the right people. I cannot wait to read the second book from this serie and travel to India!!!

Laura Hanna-White
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Poorly written with a lazy storyline that relies heavily on cliches. Written as though the author was sending a very, very long text message to someone as opposed to actually trying to write a novel.
Impressive how often she managed to squeeze the word "hun" into dialogue though (shudder).
This isn't a novel, this is a lazy scrawl with a lazier editor.
Nina
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Awful, even going into it knowing you were going to get trashy chick-lit. Georgia was probably the dumbest protagonist I've ever encountered, repeatedly making the same mistakes. The other characters were equally shallow in depth as was the plot.
Jade Rees
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very light read. Basic storyline that doesn't go into much detail about anything including the travel
Leona
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not for me. Gave up on it.
Nightswimming
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beach read. A bit first world white girl on tour. Lol.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Broken Hearts Book Club
  • Match Me If you Can
  • The Single Girl's Calendar
  • Amber Green Takes Manhattan
  • Out of Practice (Breakup Doctor #4)
  • My Sister's Wedding
  • The Wedding Diaries
  • White Lies and Wishes
  • Chelsea Wives
  • It Started With a Tweet
Katy Colins completed her first novel 'A Dogs Tale' at the age of 11 which received rave reviews ... from her Grandad and English teacher. This was just the encouragement she needed to carry on writing.

As a qualified journalist with articles published in Company Magazine and The Daily Star she crossed sides to work in Public Relations before selling all she owned to backpack solo around South East

The Lonely Hearts Travel Club (3 books)
  • Destination: India
  • Destination Chile
“Only other backpackers will understand what it's like to leave home to follow your dreams. Those pals back home will nod along, listening to your travel tales, but for them it's just words and pretty pictures. For you, everything has changed and you look around feeling like an alien in the most foreign place you have visited: home. That's why it's called a travel bug - you literally get bitten with this desire to keep moving and keep exploring, as the life you had back home isn't enough any more and may not ever be enough again.” 2 likes
“This pain, this determination and frustration was for all the failure I’d willingly endured in my life, knowing” 0 likes