Start by marking “Always a Bridesmaid (for Hire): Stories on Growing Up, Looking for Love, and Walking Down the Aisle for Complete Strangers” as Want to Read:

In the tradition of Sloane Crosley, Mindy Kaling, and Katie Heaney, a hilarious and insightful memoir about one New York City Millennial’s journey to find herself, her dream career, and true love, all while juggling a truly unique job as the world's only professional bridesmaid.

After moving to New York City in her mid-twenties to pursue her dream of writing—and not living
Published February 7th 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Always a Bridesmaid (for Hire), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always a Bridesmaid (for Hire)

Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I expected this book to be cute, but I wasn't expecting this book to be as hilarious, honest, relatable, and addictive as it was. The author made me laugh out loud so many times while reading this book! The author and her stories felt so genuine and relatable. As a woman in her early twenties, I recently went through/I am going through a lot of similar situations that the author described in this book. I thought "OMG, YES! ME TOO!" so many times while reading this book.

Reading this book felt lik
Leigh Kramer
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was so disappointing. The premise was intriguing- how and why does one become a professional bridesmaid- but it comprised maybe 25% of the book. The rest was devoted to Glantz's lackluster dating life and various hijinks, most of which did not paint her in the best light. I really wanted to know what she loved about weddings and why she thought she'd be a good professional bridesmaid but the limited stories we get didn't illustrate her accidental career choice. She might have been better se ...more
Michelle
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: https://bookbriefs.net**Always a Bridesmaid (for Hire) is a humorous memoir from Jen Glantz. I immediately knew I had to read Always a Bridesmaid by Jen for a few reasons. One, I had already heard of her business- Bridesmaid for Hire and I thought it was genius! I have been casually following her through that and I love seeing things about how it all works. Two, Jen is my age and from the same town in Florida. We even went to the same high ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2017, non-fiction
"Always a Bridesmaid (For Hire)" is a funny memoir by Jen Glantz who once she hits her mid-twenties feels like one of the only questions she is ever asked is to be a bridesmaid. Bridesmaids can be very important on wedding days (I know I was happy to be surrounded by really good ones on my wedding day). They are the ones that are supposed to keep the bride calm and help smooth out the day a little bit. Most of the time its up to friends and family to be asked to be bridesmaids but in the case yo ...more
Katrina Marie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More Quickie Review
Always a Bridesmaid is a fun book.  We get to see Glantz go through awkward moments, and being a bridesmaid more times than I can count.  I love when she and her friend had the epiphany to be a bridesmaid for hire. It's definitely a unique business.

I liked seeing glimpses into her childhood and the dates she gets setup on. She does tend to find the humor in situations when she's not completely comfortable.

Always a Brid
Arielle
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. As a woman in my early 30s living in NYC, I found this book completely relatable . When Jen talked about sitting at home in Friday/Saturday nights bc all her friends were with their significant others, her awkward dates, Saturdays spent at the NYPL, and her love of all things pizza , I sometimes forgot I was reading about her and thought I was reading about myself. I absolutely owe her a slice a pizza- but I'm not sure who would enjoy it more! Thanks for a great book ...more
Valerie
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read. Jen Glantz walks you through all of her neurosis, while entertaining you with (horror) stories of her dating life and the insanity that is being a professional bridesmaid. The last chapter was a bit too meta, but overall a fun and easy read. I can't imagine her poor little feet after all those hours in horrible bridesmaid's shoes! (yes, this is a true story!)
Erica Odell
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the first few pages I could tell this was going to be a quite a story with a lot of funny moments. To go along with the laugh out loud moments, add in a few "I feel ya girl" and "I now exactly where you're coming from" or in some cases (if you're me at least), turn to the person next to you and say, "this is so me". All the while getting extremely hungry for pizza.
As the title states, this book is complied of stories about growing up, looking for love and walking down the isle for complete
Stephen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is my second "Books on the Subway" that I've found. I sort of feel obliged to pick them up and read them, which is how this one fell into my lap. It was okay. Jen had some funny stories, but overall the book was underwhelming. I was hoping for more stories about her actually being a professional bridesmaid, and what I got was underwhelming life stories about a Florida-native, navigating her 20's in New York. Maybe I'm a jaded New Yorker, but some of the struggles she talked about were too w ...more
Katharine
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
... let me start by saying there was a lot of good here... But i felt like I had reading whiplash as she bounced all over in her timeline, one wedding she even referenced emails of meeting after they had met... she repeated phrases, the first time I heard them I thought “oh nicely worded,” ... then she reused the phrase...severs times. She was over dramatic to a point that made you cringe when referencing herself and it became uncomfortable. THEN the end. She thanked someone for telling her to w ...more
Christine
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
The book itself was alright. The novelty of her business was interesting enough. However, I found that her style of writing was a bit on the rambling side. I wish I had read the print book instead of the audiobook. One of my library school mentors had warned us to be wary of audiobooks narrated by the author, and this was a case in point. The tempo and intonation of the narration was inconsistent, and phrases were not spoken in a way consistent with how they were (probably) intended.

(Spoiler ale
Lindsay (ReadWithLindsayV)
I really enjoyed this book! Maybe because I'm still on a high from getting married less than a year ago, so I'm still into all things weddings - but I felt like this was written with a fun tune, with humor but also a realness to it. Strong 3.5 stars.
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I won this book from a goodreads giveaway. This book is hilarious! It is a shame it doesn't seem more widely read. I wish best of luck to this author in getting her book more publicity and can't recommend it enough.
Lydia Anvar
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is chock-full of anecdotes that all single 20-something gals can relate to. Jen does a great job of combining humor with inspiration—reminding the reader that it's the stomach churning, "can I go hide under a rock now" moments in our lives that push us farther than we ever thought we could go.

Samantha Jones
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book and actually relatable for the twenty-something NYC girl trying to make her way through life and love in the city.
Elizabeth Trader
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore this author's relatable humor, especially in the way she tells stories. There were several actual laugh out loud moments, and that's exactly what I was looking for in this book. I also appreciate the organization and honesty. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for some uplifting entertainment (:
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, humor, memoir
Title: Always a Bridesmaid for Hire
Author: Jen Glantz
Read by: Jen Glantz
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Length: Approximately 8 hours and 43 minutes
Source: Simon & Schuster Audio Digital Review Copy – Thank-you!

Sometimes you need a funny book to lift up your spirits on your way to and from work. Always a Bridesmaid for Hire is just such a book – a humorous book that gives you a good laugh. Jen Glantz is the author and narrator of the audiobook. As I listened, I felt like Jen Glantz was
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ When you live in New York City, it's almost expected that people will see you at your very, very worst, very, very often.

Inspirational, funny and honest...and so much more! This book was pure fun. I adored all the candid talk and the fact that Glantz took control and became what she wanted...a boss of her own. You will laugh and love being on this journey with Jen. By the end of the book (or way sooner than that) you will want to be her BFF or at a minimum part of her tribe!!!
Samantha March
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I was beyond curious to read this memoir from Jen Glantz! A bridesmaid for hire – how did this idea come about, and how did it actually work? I had to know! This book is filled with humor, inspiration, heart-warming moments, and self-reflection. There were so many times I found myself nodding along to what Jen was saying, and chatting with my friend (and future bride-to-be!) about this story. I loved each of the wedding stories that she chose to share, and it was easy to see how J ...more
2LWithIt
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is not a manual on how to create a successful small business. More importantly, this is not a guide on how to be a professional bridesmaid. This is, however, a story about how one woman turned a closetful of bridesmaid dresses and troves of on the fly problem-solving skills into a thriving company. Jen Glantz is the “wildcard gal pal” every reader can’t help but relate to and wants to be friends with. The candid honesty and raw emotion found throughout Always a Bridesmaid (for Hire) is what ...more
Dawn Alexander
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
LOVED this book! Jen Glantz could totally be my new best friend. And, I'm sure that's how the brides who have hired her to act in that capacity feel as well.
This book reads like a romantic comedy, but it's a memoir. The true story of what happens when a single woman gets asked one too many times to sashay down the aisle in uncomfortable shoes and smile while another one of her friends pledges her life to her betrothed.
The result? Said girl goes on Craigslist and creates a tongue-in-cheek ad of
Jodi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this may be one of the funniest books I have read in a long while - I won it thru the GoodReads giveaways, and I am so glad I did! Jen writes with warmth and humor about surviving as a single girl in New York and the adventures (and, misadventures) of dating in the Computer Age...she kind of "fell" into being a professional "bridesmaid" for other women who need her help, her particular skill set (not to mention that 36DD strapless bra that seems to hold CVS's entire mini-toiletries secti ...more
Molly Beck
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
They say that the personal truths are the most universal truths. Through Jen's once-in-a-million story of becoming an overnight viral sensation and subsequent successful entrepreneur, the truths echoed back to me about the search for love, the search for a job that feels right, and the lifetime search for happiness and pizza, made a once-in-a-million story seem like a "yes, me too" story.

Always a Bridesmaid (For Hire) reminds me of the esteemed Nora Ephron, with the laugh-out-loud moments of Da
Kerri Resnick
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, you will want Jen Glantz to be your best friend (or at least your bridesmaid for hire!). She's funny, genuine, smart and inspiring, but also relatable and down-to-earth. It's obvious from reading that Jen poured her heart into each chapter of Always a Bridesmaid (For Hire), and her stories will resonate with readers of all ages. Whether you've been a bridesmaid zero or fifty times, this book has something for everyone. It shines a light on the wedding industry, but more ...more
Susan Obryan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jen Glantz has led quite the unconventional life, and she's got the stories to prove it.

This hilarious memoir relates her search for the right Jewish man while she tries to make a living - as a bridesmaid for hire. Dating sites aren't working, and neither are her mom's matchmaking friends. Throw in the obligation to make a total stranger's wedding into a storybook ceremony, and you've got instant hilarity.

While you might think that all Glantz gets out of her bridesmaid travels are a few bucks
Joanne
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Glantz spent so much time in her 20s being a bridesmaid for friends that she felt she could make a living at it. She put a half-joking ad on Craiglist under the "women seeking women" category, and it went viral the next day while she was at work at her regular copyediting job. So she launched a business as a professional bridesmaid for a couple of years, and now seems to be on a consulting / blogging / speaking gig about how to be a self-starter.

At its best when telling funny wedding stories. A
Anne-Marie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Listened to on Audible: This had the potential to be really funny if the narrator wasn't the author. Her voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
(a)lyss(a)
"After the first time I was asked to be a bridesmaid I became a traveling toiletry section of CVS combined with the snack aisle of 7/11, my tote bags stuffed with individual packets of salted peanuts, fun-size Snickers bars, and Sara Lee muffins."

I wanted to like this book, but it wasn't quite what I expected.

I was intrigued by Jen Glantz's unique business and wanted to hear more about how it started but it took a while to get to the real story. The majority of the book focuses on Glantz's dati
Zev
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
By page three, I was laughing. Before page fifty, I was laughing so hard I was crying. This happened three more times over the course of the book. I related to it a ton. I learned so much from this book, and wished my life were similar at moments. Years ago, I was in a longtime friend's wedding. I had read quite a bit of Hell's Bells-type webpages and Facebook entries that had gone viral, and was inwardly preparing for someone to become a bridezilla-by-proxy. The bride's sister and cousin -both- ...more
Bethany Clark
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - When I first heard the title I thought, what an amazing job as a bridesmaid for hire? Are there really enough women out there that don't have enough friends to choose or do they just not trust their friends?
One by one her friends were tying the knot and she was ALWAYS asked to be a bridesmaid. That must get pricey!
When would she find her prince charming? Brunching and going with friends wasn't working, dating sites weren't working, what gives?
If I had even 1 of some of the dates tha

• Exposed: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer: A Memoir
  • Weddiculous: An Unfiltered Guide to Being a Bride
  • Wedding Cake for Breakfast: Essays on the Unforgettable First Year of Marriage
  • You're Not Pretty Enough
  • The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter's Notebook
  • The Mystery of Marriage: Meditations on the Miracle
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • Raising the Barre: Big Dreams, False Starts, & My Midlife Quest to Dance The Nutcracker
  • Secrets of a Fashion Therapist: What You Can Learn Behind the Dressing Room Door
  • Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak: by Writers Famous and Obscure
  • Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.
  • Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Biography
  • I Still Have It . . . I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Confessions of a Fiftysomething
  • Marriage and the Mystery of the Gospel (Short Studies in Biblical Theology)
  • Leaving Mundania: Inside the Transformative World of Live Action Role-Playing Games
  • The Owl Who Liked Sitting on Caesar
  • Seven Seasons in Siena: My Quixotic Quest for Acceptance Among Tuscany's Proudest People
Jen Glantz is the world’s first professional bridesmaid and founder of Bridesmaid for Hire. She’s the heartbeat behind the website The Things I Learned From, and the author of the Amazon-bestselling ebook, All My Friends are Engaged. She can be found in New York City wearing old bridesmaid dresses to the grocery store, on first dates, or double-fisting slices of one-dollar pizza.