Start by marking “The Jaguar King (The Wild Rites Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
The Jaguar King (The Wild Rites Saga #1)

The Jaguar King

(Wild Rites Saga #1)

Magic is real? Big deal. Bills still gotta be paid.

Especially when you’re heading into vet med. Emma Chase is nothing special – if anything, with a roomie who turns into a jaguar on a regular basis, she’s the sidekick, not the heroine. Her superpowers have more to do with acing her finals and overworking herself. Knowing her best friend’s secret makes it easier to justif
Published November 28th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Jaguar King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jaguar King

Start your review of The Jaguar King (The Wild Rites Saga #1)
GimmeAllTheWerdssss
It actually pains me to stop at 18%. The book is good! I like the heroine, she's strong and feisty. I like the few guys (not sure if they will be in the RH or not...). I like the storyline.

So why stop?

Book 5 is where we get sex - ok, not a reason to stop. My issue is that the Hero, who I can assume will be in the RH, encourages her to be in many many many orgys without him. He's happy being with other people - men and women and is fine with her being with other people too.

I know what RH is AND
★Me Myshelf and I★
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So they told me it was good.
They even told me it was great.

They didn't tell me it was

Kevin Bacon
The Ocelot Maidens
Alan!

Even the fecking Spider! Any book that can make me like a spider has to be some kinda magic

This is me being blown away
⬇️

Beige
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
3.5 shapeshiftin'-stars

My first buddy read with the RH mavens at Reverse Harem Revolution

This is a fun start to an indie slow burn reverse harem series. It has a much stronger UF feel than others I've read. Best of all, it has some of the delectable cheesiness that Laurell K Hamilton used to lure me to the UF genre in the first place - flaws and all

1. A growing menagerie of hunky magical dudes who can't get enough of our special snowflake

2. A heroine with a major saviour complex who uses bit
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Very good! Almost a five star. It pushed almost every reader button I have.

The world-building is unique enough - there are a lot of shapeshifters and they're all divided into their territories and kingdoms, sometimes subjugating weaker types under their rule and land. Vampires of sort exist, and they're nasty, but they have a "new name" and aren't the typical. Emma Chase lives a normal life until her world is turned upside down as her shapeshifter roommate's brother shows up to tell her they nee
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
I'm usually not one for different types of "were-creatures" in books. I'm a little vanilla in that anything beyond werewolves has me scoffing in derision.

It's something about how it's only the big scary creatures that get to play in the "were-creature" pool. If you're going to have a werebear, shouldn't there also be a werebunny? This book (almost) does that and apparently, coupled with the idea of a slow burn romance and a reverse harem, it was enough for me to get curious. And, technically, a
Amara
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Snakes and spiders and jaguars and more

I love the idea of shape changing beings... especially boas and tarantulas! This had a lot of things I like... a prophecy, a heroine who will stand up for herself, and plenty of interesting male characters.

This is a slow burn RH paranormal series. It starts with Emma, a student studying veterinary medicine. She gets ambushed by her best friend aka roommate's brother and dragged into a whole world of intrigue and prophecy.

The guys we have met so far...

Ric
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dare I say I could give this 4.5?

Brilliant start to what is shaping up to be a brilliant series!

Most of the characters are so delightfully morally ambiguous! One minute you don't like them and the next you are drawn to them.

Emma is a fabulous main character. She's brave, smart and while she sometimes acts with her heart and not her head, you don't want to smack her round the head for it.

The men... Telly is my favourite, along with the Jaguar King. Not sure how I feel about Anton yet and Fern an
Niki
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay I'm Intrigued....3.5 Stars

Alright we've learned some basics about what the heck is going on. I have no real clue about who the heck might be in this harem (view spoiler) I guess I'm off to read book 2 to find out where the heck we go from here. Sorry about all the hecks I don't handle unanswered questions well lol!
A. Cook
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Emma Chase's world is getting ready to be turned upside down. Not only is her roommate a Jaguar shifter but he has brother (no big whoop ... right?) that shows up out of nowhere with a whole shifter horde on his tail. Not to mention the yummy god chilling in the backseat of the getaway car. The author did such a wonder job of bring all the elements of this story together. There was a great array of characters (heck there is a creepy yet sweet were tarantula and a hotter than hades blue skin ...more
Soph
This is a UF series with multiple supes
Emma was never a normal girl, she was always the caller of the blood she just didn’t know it yet.
The writing in this book is second to none in my opinion. It TRUMPS all other RHs in its ability to relationship build and world build. Emma is a mature, smart, emotionally developed young women who’s life gets UTTERLY turned upside down when she is thrown into the supernatural world: Emma learns that her powers are “activated” by bonding /binding herself to s
Searcy
Love love love this series! Wish Anna McIlwraith would release Book 6 :)

This is a fast-paced and inventive paranormal RH series. It has its own unique take on shifters and their origin, as well as a unique way of mixing in gods/myths. And it has characters that show a lot of growth and development as the series progresses. It is all about redemption and the power of change and forgiveness. Love it!

Warning: This will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea as it can be quite dark and has several
Runningrabbit
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
1st book free and then Kindle Unlimited.
Really enjoyed this one - it comes together with some deft twining including lots of good and diverse characters. Shifters, vampires and so on. Got the next book to soldier on.
Jessica
3.75 Stars.

~~~~RHR Buddy Read~~~~

The start of this was tricky. I think I had trouble getting my footing. Then... I don’t know. I just found myself in it! Like- fully, page-turning, what’s gonna happen?!- IN it. So, I’m definitely on to the next one!!
Andrea
Sadly I didn't love this one as much as other people did.
I was actually really enjoying the story and Emma's character pretty much right up until she (view spoiler)

Spoilery reasons why I wasn't really loving this:

(view spoiler)
Soo
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Notes:

DNF at 33%

Why I snagged the book on KU to try out:
- A friend rated it 4 stars.
- MC build seemed cool. Vet in training.
- Shapeshifters (Not the usual werewolves/etc but starts with jaguars/ocelots/etc)
- Prophecy

Why I quit:
- MC is dating at guy that she has zero feelings for and no reason to date him. He gives her the creeps but she's dating him because ???
- Choices, plot reveals & events become less plausible as story progressed.
- Awkward info dumps & POV change.
- I kept putting the book d
Megan (BookWifeReviews)
I don't really understand what happened in this book.. Now to be fair I read this book on breaks at work, painting our house and when I didn't have a toddler hanging onto me like a monkey. So I read this book 15 minutes at a time..at most. I really didn't have the time to get fully invested into the story. But it all felt jumbled to me. I actually really liked Emma. She was a strong character. She had a bunch of crazy shit thrown at her and she kind of rolled with it and still stuck up for herse ...more
Deborah
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Emma is a normal girl (yeah, right). She works in a dog shelter, and has a particular gift for connecting with animals. Pretty fortunate, as her roomie happens to be a jaguar shifter, and she’s about to be launched into the middle of a power struggle between various races of shifters as the prize – dead or alive...
I’m a bit on the fence about shifter novels – there is such a glut it’s hard to find something that bit different. In many respects, this one was different, and I enjoyed it for that
Danielle (Danniegurl)
3.5 interesting start to a new series

This one wasn’t too warm and fuzzy. There isn’t really any romance, at least not right now.

I still feel a bit disjointed on exactly what is going on with everyone but I am excited to see how this works out. There are many moving parts to this story, several many characters and their stories going on in the background. I’m usually not a huge fan of 3rd person POV but this worked out with other’s povs coming in too.

I still don’t understand why Alexi was mad. I
Katyana
I liked it, and I love Telly - I really want him with Emma.

I'm a little concerned at the repeated pattern of everyone trying to get and rape (mentally, if not physically) the main female character. I like that she reacts violently to it though - too many books have the heroine reluctantly cave to the dominant douche that they just can't resist, when the douche makes it clear he won't take no for an answer. Emma, however, empties the entire clip of her gun into them. So that's something.

I'm pres
Shasha
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this even though the cover was iffy. If you think this is a paranormal romance, you will probably be disappointed.

This is an urban fantasy that sets up supernaturals hiding in the present world searching for and trying to control a magical human called the Caller of the Blood (new idea! yay!). The plot is fast but the places are richly described, the people fascinating, and the action kept me voraciously reading.

There are quite a few characters introduced but they are there for th
Airwreckah
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Heroine does some silly "oh noes, you cant kill him, even though he is a rapist/murderer/void soul sucking assassin ex boyfriend! I would NEVER recover emotionally if i saw you do that?" What? Never? Thats a really long time to be upset over seeing a known very bad dude get killed...someone who tried to kidnap/kill you?

And there is lots of weird follower accumulation and prophesied special snowflakeness. Like, girl, what you doin with a devoted coterie only 130 pages into the story?
Kelly
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

I enjoyed the start to The Wild Rite Saga, The Jaguar King. I love Shifter reads, found this in KU and decided to give it a go - I didn't realise initially that this was also a RH series until a little further into the story, when Emma seemed to be making connections with quite a few of the male characters. I'm interested to see who over the series will actually make up her harem, and how many there will be.

This is the first shifter book I've read that has a Tarantula shifter *shudders*.
Road Noah
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rh, mary-sue
I liked it. Surprisingly so. I'm so glad I didn't give up early on (thanks again, Poplora). OTT drama and super special (even her captors would do anything for her, everyone needs her, wants her or wants to serve her) heroine aside, it was a fairly decent book, with enjoyable plot, plenty of action and a few interesting potential harem members.
Brooke
Very original and satisfying for my urban fantasy craving. Low steam, but the author is forthcoming in when we get to hanky panky time (book 5) I’m into it enough to aim for 5 good reads.
Natasha Maltman
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it

1 Star = DNF.
2 Star = Finished. Didn’t really enjoy.
3 Star = Finished. Story was neither good nor bad.
3.5 Star = Finished. Story was neither good nor bad. Will probably pick up next in series if there is one.
4 Star = Finished. Enjoyed story & would reread.
5 Star = Stole my heart! ❤️
Carrie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was one of those books where the story compelled me to keep reading while caring NOTHING about the characters. There was so little character development that I kept asking myself why I was still reading but was intrigued enough to finish the book. I might come back to the series when I'm looking to recover from a book hangover and need a book that will help me disconnect from one that consumed me on all points.
Sheena
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It definitely went different directions than I thought it would, which was a nice surprise. I have a couple minor issues with the story, but nothing major, and nothing that takes away from how enjoyable the story was.

Emma has a fairly normal life. If you don’t count that her best friend and roommate is a shapeshifter. Other than that, things are perfectly normal….aren’t they?

When supernatural goons try to kidnap her, she has to put her trust into her best friend, h
Jace
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had such high expectations for this book and i was so, so disappointed.

There's nothing really wrong with it exactly, i just couldn't connect to the characters or the story.
I found the descriptions of everything so drawn out and somewhat confusing. I had a hard time drawing up a visual for a lot of it.

Emma drove me nuts for most of the book. She is basically between a rock and a hard place, all of the time. She's always manipulated, used, or physically manhandled around. And it's not that sh
Birgit
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I missed the plot. Somehow. Most of the time whilst reading this book I was wondering what was going on. There was a very elusive thread there somewhere, but I kept losing it.
The idea of such a shifter story was not bad, but the way it was told was not my kind of book, I am sorry to say. Ricky and Anton seemed to be mere decorations apart from the first chapter, everyone and their uncle trying to somehow bind themselves or submit the female protagonist, and never a clear answer as to why, what,
Jul 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
So an ancient prophecy with one girl in the middle of it. Not a terrible idea but it did not come together for me. Emma had no sense of self preservation and that really bothered me. Someone literally forced a connection into her brain...then she felt bad for getting pissed about it. But when she said "if you kill the man that I've been dating the last three months it will break me". I just rolled my eyes...three months is nothing, you just met, and she can handle all of the other things that ha ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vested Interest (The Code, #1)
  • Chaotic (Arcane Mage, #1)
  • Shadows and Shade (Shadows and Shade, #1)
  • City of the Lost (Chronicles of Arcana #2)
  • City of Demons (Chronicles of Arcana #1)
  • City of Everdark (Chronicles of Arcana #3)
  • Protector of Midnight (Chronicles of Midnight, #1)
  • Oath Forger 1 (Oath Forger, #1)
  • City of War (Chronicles of Arcana #4)
  • For the Blood (For the Blood #1)
  • For the Power (For the Blood #2)
  • Stained Egos (Salsang Chronicles, #1)
  • Shades of Midnight (Chronicles of Midnight, #4)
  • Hidden Agenda (The Code, #2)
  • Shadow and Darkness (Shadows and Shade, #2)
  • Oath Forger 2 (Oath Forger, #2)
  • The Gladiator's Downfall (Age of the Andinna, #1)
  • Deadworld (Chronicles of Deadworld #1)
Anna McIlwraith is the author of the urban fantasy series Caller of the Blood and the upcoming paranormal romance series Wayward Heart. She’s addicted to the mysterious power of using words to walk between worlds, and there’s nowhere she’d rather be than travelling the dusty roads and dark kingdoms of the worlds of her books. Sadly, one can visit those territories but never stay, which is the only ...more

Wild Rites Saga (5 books)
  • The Jackal Prince (The Wild Rites Saga #2)
  • The Wolf's Heir (The Wild Rites Saga #3)
  • The Serpent Priest (The Wild Rites Saga #4)
  • The Raven Thief (The Wild Rites Saga #5)

News & Interviews