Start by marking “Quit Calling Me a Monster!” as Want to Read:
Quit Calling Me a Monster!

Quit Calling Me a Monster!

The talented creators of I Will Chomp You! brilliantly frame the struggle to buck stereotypes and learn empathy in this monster’s hilarious lament.

Floyd Peterson is so much more than shaggy purple fur and pointy monster teeth — why can’t people just see him for him? Jory John and Bob Shea have struck gold in creating a knee-slapping, read-it-again story that will start
Published August 23rd 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Quit Calling Me a Monster!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quit Calling Me a Monster!

La Coccinelle
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The synopsis makes this book sound deeper than it really is. It's basically just the whiny lament of Floyd Peterson, a monster who doesn't want to be called a monster... even though he is. I'm not quite sure what the point is supposed to be. It's like denying who you are because other people misunderstand what that is. That's not your problem... it's theirs.

This book reminded me of another of Jory John's picture books, The Bad Seed. But that one was a lot more amusing, and the play on words work
April Thompson
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My name is Floyd. Floyd Peterson.
Magpie67
A must read before bedtime story that will ease the children's fears, if there are any issues regarding monsters under the bed. I know I had to make sure my daughter's closet was closed before I left the room at night. Not sure if she gained that fear before or after Monster Inc. But, it traveled with her into her young teens too. This monster has feelings, and he wishes to be called by his real name even though he looks like a monster and has monster parents. Thanks again to the children's libr ...more
Edward Sullivan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of silliness. Good read aloud choice.
Maria
It's super annoying when people scream whenever they see you, when they get scared when you are just going to bed and call you monster... when you just want them to call you by your name, Floyd.

Why I started this book: New kids books at the library. YEAH!!

Why I finished it: Charming and I'm thrilled to read this one out loud.
Erin
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Floyd Peterson does NOT like being called a monster! Even though he technically is one... Good fun for all is had in this great book for storytimes.
Jacob
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute, and almost makes a good point, but I’m probably reading too much into this.
StarszBooks
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book about name calling.
Alyssa
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable! This reminds me of a modern THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK.
Aaron
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is very funny and was a great read aloud with library groups. I can see some possible writing prompts as well.
Joy Lane
cute
Heidi
With all the concern currently about stereotypes and all that happens to perpetuate them, it's refreshing to see a take on the subject that is so very enjoyable. Floyd Peterson is very clearly a monster (even he admits it at one point in the story, although very reluctantly). He looks like a monster, he sometimes behaves like a monster, although he claims that that is inadvertent. But despite it all, he does not like being called a monster. In a hilarious narrative, Floyd explains that he doesn' ...more
Jana
This is a fun picture book that gives young readers a glimpse of how a monster might feel about everyone screaming at him and calling him a monster. Floyd Peterson is technically a monster, since he has horns, fangs, wild eyes, purple fur, clompy feet, long toenails and a huge, toothy smile that glows in the dark. But he gets his feelings hurt when people call him a monster, scream, and run away from him. The lively, humorous illustrations make this a great choice for a read aloud for young chil ...more
Amy
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Great and funny book perfect for storytime or just one on one. Introducues one pissed off monster admonishing the reader to stop calling him, well, a monster. It's rude, don't you know, and he starts detailing all the rude things he could say to annoying little children. Yes, he IS a monster and his folks were monsters but declaring that he is a monster (even if he is snoring under your stupid bed) is just not done in polite society.
It is a scream.
Read it.
Brittany
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, grade-k-2
This book was hilarious ... and right on time for Halloween! I loved it and will add it to my fall collection of story time books! Did I say I loved it? I literally could not help myself from reading this book out loud on the desk and then laughing hysterically with my co-worker. I will use this book - be sure of that!
Mary
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Floyd Peterson is a monster who doesn't want to be labeled a monster. A high energy first person monologue that gently reminds the reader that name-calling isn't nice.
Melissa
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love books that have such a good voice, you just fall into it as a read aloud. This monster insists he isn't one despite all that points to him being one, then reluctantly has to admit he is one, but since no one likes monsters, he'd just like to be called his name, he's an individual. :)
K.N.
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There's a good moral in here and enough jokes to amuse both parents and children. I got this as a gift for a friend's daughter.
Miss Sarah
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monsters
A monster doesn't want to be called a monster. Even though he fits the description of a monster. He wants to be recognized as in individual. Cute concept. Right group of toddlers or preschool.
June
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: name calling and monster requests
Recommended to June by: Edward Sullivan
Shelves: picture-book, monster
A monster doesn't like being called a monster... Possible silly monster story for Halloween story time...
Alyson
Summary: Floyd Peterson is tired of being called a monster! Even though his horns, wild hair, fangs, clomping feet, and the fact that he sleeps under the bed means he is a monster. He is just asking that you think about it before automatically calling him a monster and prefers to be called by his real name. This book was awarded the Prairie Bud Runner Up Award in the state of South Dakota.

Citation:
John, J., & Shea, B. (2016). Quit calling me a monster! Random House.

Opening Move: Show student
Jason Smith
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ok-books
When is a monster not a monster? When he prefers to be called Floyd and wants you to stop making him feel bad by calling him a monster. Just because he has scary teeth, and roars, and hides under the bed or in the closet; none of this makes him a monster and he would like you to stop calling him one. This book is full of full bleed page illustrations, the paper is a thicker matte stock and the illustrations themselves have a wonderful sloppy finish which I think makes them look better than somet ...more
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this story to Kindergarten and First grade. I don't think they learned much about empathy. They did enjoy the story. We talked more about how something scary can be less scary if we give it a name. First graders thought it was hilarious to say monster every time the monster said "Quit calling me a monster." So much for empathy. They all agreed that children and humans make a strange noises when they sleep.

This is a noisy book, if you have teachers who believe libraries should be quiet, n
Barbara
Although he possesses many of the characteristics of a monster--you know, horns, fangs, wild eyes, crazy hair--Floyd Peterson wants to be known by his name and not just as a monster. As he directly addresses readers, he makes his case for being so much more than a monster. The illustrations are bright and colorful so that it would be hard to be scared by this particular monster. By the time he heads into his closet for a snooze in a child's bedroom, there is little to fear. After all, as an adul ...more
Heather
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The alleged not-a-monster who narrates this delightful picture book is one of the most winsome horned fanged, clompy-footed, howling fellows I've encountered in a while. In spite of all his roars, screams, cackles, and howls, this shaggy purple creature with the blue tie wants to make it clear that his feelings are hurt by accusations of his monstrosity. However, he may not be the most reliable of narrators. The words of this book are expressive and full of personality. The illustrations by Bob ...more
Debra
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Jory John teams up with Bob Shea for another book where the story starts on the flyleaf. Once again the story is enhanced by the bold, bright illustrations. The long-haired, taloned, toothy creature is out to convince us that he is NOT a monster. Even though he does monster-like things he has excellent manners. Please call him Floyd Peterson and he WON'T roar or growl at you.
Definitely lends itself to your best acting monster voice. Be sure to practice and then have your little monsters, er Flo
Lee
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Monsters are people too, well not exactly but this monster feels discriminated against based on his monster status. Or maybe it is some kind of identity crises but the monster falls prey to his own trap in defending his good monster manners and has to acknowledge that he is indeed a monster but he would rather be called by his name Floyd Peterson. I love this name. This part makes the whole book for me! And spoiler alert the ending is great when a Dad calms his child who is afraid of the monster ...more
Leah Edel
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Summary:
Floyd Peterson is a monster with horns, fangs, wild eyes, clompy feet, and long toenails, but he does not like when everyone calls him a monster. He is really nice and has good manners, so it makes him feel bad when he hears people yell, “There’s a monster under my bed” or “There goes a monster.” He just wants people to call him by his name, Floyd, because he is actually a nice guy, not a scary monster!

Possible Topics:
1. Don't be afraid of monsters, they are just like us.
2. Monsters hav
Colleen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t review a ton of children’s books, but I’m starting with ones that I want to read to my son’s class through out the year, and I’ll forget them if I don’t put them some where.

This was so much fun as an adult to read. I could use sarcastic and haughty voices and make fun of children’s whiny voices. Kids will get the idea that if they break a scary thing down or give it a real name, it’s maybe not that scary. Just super fun to read out loud and basic clear message.
Regina
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A funny and endearing way to address the idea of kids fearing monsters. In the vein of Monster's Inc., Floyd Peterson is fed up with humans labeling him as a monster JUST because he happens to have fur and fangs, and well...his parents are monsters. Floyd would rather people get to know him and treat him with respect, before just assuming that he's your typical "monster". This is a perfect read-aloud for bedtime or even storytime with friends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Zombie in Love 2 + 1
  • I Want to Be in a Scary Story
  • A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Claymates
  • Green Pants
  • The Skunk
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Alan's Big, Scary Teeth
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Be Quiet!
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • The Monstore
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
“Daddy, I think there's a monster in my closet! No, son, it's just Floyd Peterson. Oh... okay. Good night.” 0 likes