Start by marking “Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen” as Want to Read:
Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen

Read Book

Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen

Former soldier Andrea Herrera isn’t happy with where her life’s taken her. Specifically, Hell Creek, Montana, 65 million years before the present. As far as careers go, making sure the dinosaurs don’t eat her paleontologist clients comes in a pretty dismal second choice to serving her country. But when their time machine malfunctions, Andrea and her team are trapped in a t ...more
Published January 1st 2016

To ask other readers questions about Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen

Start your review of Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen
Teal
Look at that cover! And then it opens with an epigraph from Voltaire. And it was free. If you think I could resist that combination, you are sadly mistaken.
Kalin
Nov 29, 2015 added it
As one of the beta-readers, I cannot be objective about rating this novel. However, what I can definitely say is that I was awed by the thoroughness of Daniel Bensen's research about paleontology (dinosaurs!) and Neanderthals.

The drawings were sweet too:

(It's a didelphodon. ;) )

Erratum: As Dan points out in his comment below, this drawing is not included in the book; it was a gift for us beta-readers. :)

If you have the tiniest smidgen of interest in the Earth of old, go ask the author for a free
Kacy
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Being a dinosaur fan, while a lot of fun, can be a hell of a drag. Dinosaurian fiction must invariably skirt a fine line between substance and shlock. This line is more finely cut than most. Your average spec-fic dino story general falls into two categories: the strictly scientific angle; see your palaeontologists and Crichtons, and your stock B-movie monster stuff; an admittedly much larger category.

Daniel Bensen's anomalously named "Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen" is, by definition, hard to pi
Kim Moravec
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Trals is an ex-slave warrior determined to destroy the Slaver civilization that killed his family and ruined his childhood. When a time-traveling ex-soldier and her marvellous technology drop into his world, she could be the answer to his prayers. Unfortunately, she came with a paleobotanist, who has been captured by a Slaver princess. He seems to be the answer to her prayers, because she’s sworn to destroy the ex-lover who spurned her: Trals Scarback himself.

A book with the title Groom of
Carrie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen is the kind of book that hits the ground running and doesn’t stop. It’s a time-travel romance that follows a team of paleontologists led by hard-bitten veteran Andrea Herrera. They dip into the distant past to research Mesozoic flora and fauna, but their trip is quickly interrupted by a horde of dinosaur-riding barbarians.

If that doesn’t sound like the start of a fun read, I don’t know what does.

I read Groom on vacation and found it the perfect book for a getaway—f
Nora Fleischer
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dan Bensen specializes in unlikely romances, and there's nothing more unlikely than this one: a futuristic soldier stuck in the past with a Conan-the-Barbarian type. And yet both characters soon transcend type to become real individuals, and their romance is sweet and moving.

Besides, this is set in an alternate history where people lived alongside dinosaurs! And someone rides a T-Rex! Tyrannosaur Queen is an awesome, quirky book with real heart, and you'll never read anything else like it.

Nece
Abby Goldsmith
This book explores domination/subordination in a light-hearted way, there is some truly brilliant dialogue, and it also teaches you about dinosaurs. It's not your typical rah-rah-brah testosterone fueled sci-fi, despite the pulpy cover. There is enough action to oversaturate a Michael Bay film, and there are cavemen and sexy princesses and high tech powersuits and, yes, a tyrannosaurus rex on a rampage during a stormy battle scene. And time travel. But come on, those things are all necessary to ...more
Donna
This book intrigued me with the concept of a time machine and trip back to the time when dinosaurs lived. I loved the twist of a parallel universe with people living alongside dinosaurs. The pictures the author included of the various dinosaurs was a nice touch that I enjoyed. I enjoyed some of the banter between the characters. Overall, an interesting story that I enjoyed.
Evan
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Inventive and exciting, the kind of book that the world needs more of. It has minor problems (typos, characterization), but the climax in particular was exciting and it was all just so much fun. Imagination plus research over dinosaurs equals awesome.

I was introduced to this book by Simon Roy's cover illustration. Bensen is now one of my fav dudes to follow online. Can't wait for his next book!
Georgina Kamsika
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: the author gave me a free copy, but he thought I'd enjoy it and he was right.

Funny, clever, well researched this is a time-travel romance worth reading. Who doesn't want dinosaurs in their romance novels!
Douglas Debner
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Note: I listened to an audio book.

This book is so bad I had to force myself to keep listening and I still only made it 31% of the way through. And I like time travel and dinosaur books. Let's start by saying that if your story depends on PhDs acting stupidly you better justify it. This author doesn't. It starts with the "lead PhD being unnecessarily rude to and generally belittling her security. All the PhDs panic repeatedly. I ask you, if you were putting together a team to go back in time to s
J.S. Bangs
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really fun, delightfully raucous adventure story. A team of scientists suffers a mishap with their time machine and discovers the Cretaceous period filled with tribes of human barbarians, the survivors of a time machine which crashed there some five thousand years before. Adventure and dinosaurs ensue.

However, the epilogue was terrible and nearly ruined the whole thing. Skip it unless you feel like hurting yourself.
Luke
Lezli
Dec 16, 2016
Ernest Overton
Jun 12, 2017

• Village of Noobtown (Noobtown, #2)
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • The Mayor of Noobtown (Noobtown, #1)
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  • Gemini's Crossing (Enora Online, #1)
  • The War in the West: Volume 1: The Rise of Germany, 1939-1941
  • Histaff (Skeleton in Space, #1)
  • The Dao of Magic #1
  • Initiate (Animus, #1)
  • Hunters Dream Online: Ascension (Hunter's Dream Online Book 1)
  • CO-OP (Animus, #2)
  • Court of Nightfall (The Nightfall Chronicles, #1)
  • Heaven's Gate: Volume 1 (A LitRPG Adventure)
  • A Dungeon's Soul (Adventures on Brad #3)
  • The Dao of Magic #2
  • A Gamer's Wish (Hidden Wishes #1)
  • The Arena's Call (Adventures on Brad, #4)
  • An Adventurer's Heart (Adventures on Brad #2)
Daniel M. Bensen writes alternate history, science fiction, and fantasy. He teaches English in Sofia Bulgaria, where he lives with his wife and daughters in the Balkan Tower of Matriarchy.

News & Interviews

“Don't worry, Njrea," said Vrem, but everyone went just a little bit still when Trals's raptor got close. Andrea stared down at the wide, yellow eyes, the twitching taloned fingers. The little beast opened its mouth and chuckled at her, like a crow with a dirty joke on its mind.” 1 likes
“went just a little bit still when Trals's raptor got close. Andrea stared down at the wide, yellow eyes, the twitching taloned fingers. The little beast opened its mouth and chuckled at her, like a crow with a dirty joke on its mind.” 0 likes