Start by marking “The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)

The Ship of the Dead

(Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #3)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  49,243 ratings  ·  4,485 reviews
Magnus Chase, a once-homeless teen, is a resident of the Hotel Valhalla and one of Odin's chosen warriors. As the son of Frey, the god of summer, fertility, and health, Magnus isn't naturally inclined to fighting. But he has strong and steadfast friends, including Hearthstone the elf, Blitzen the dwarf, and Samirah the Valkyrie, and together they have achieved brave deeds, ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 410 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Disney-Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ship of the Dead, please sign up.
Mark Holmes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Stellenbosch The author announced that Magnus Chase book 3 is titled Ship of the Dead, and is set for release on October 3, 2017 (exactly one year away)! He said t…moreThe author announced that Magnus Chase book 3 is titled Ship of the Dead, and is set for release on October 3, 2017 (exactly one year away)! He said that the current plan is for this to be the final book in the series.

He also reminded us that Trials of Apollo book 2 is titled The Dark Prophecy, and it’ll be out in May 2017. Jason Grace will be appearing again, Riordan said, adding that they may one day get a story of their own.

There will be five books in the Trials of Apollo series.

from: http://www.hypable.com/magnus-chase-b...(less)

·  49,243 ratings  ·  4,485 reviews

Start your review of The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)
Simona B
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this series to pieces. And was that a hint at a possible continuation you threw in there, Rick? WAS IT
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein mead’s in need, burden urges healing, a banana sails, praise prevails, and romance reaps no ripened feeling.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
"I figured something out. You can't hold on to hate forever. It won't do a thing to the person you hate, but it'll poison you, sure enough."

I love this quote! Who would have thought T.J. could be so wise?! And this is just the beginning! For once we actually get to know a little bit of his background story and I was a happy camper to finally find out more about him. About T.J., Halfblood and about Mallory, that is.
In this third and last book they all got a moment to shine and I’m still intrigu
Cassandra
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2017
Post-read review:

I'm satisfied. However, I guess this means that I have officially sold my soul to Uncle Rick.

Full review to come.

Pre-read review:

Guys, I have high hopes for this novel. But to be honest, I have one and only one demand...

#blitzstone
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Crying. That has to be my favorite in the series. I'm in love and NEED. MORE.
April
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I could ever rate any of Rick's books lower than 5 stars.
P
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

If I were ten years younger, this book would blow my mind for sure. In The Ship of the Dead, Magnus, Sam, Alex and his fellas must stop Ragnarok before Loki starts sailing the ship. The beginning sounded promising and I could feel there're a lot of mind-blowing packages that were to come, but I felt a bit let down after halfway through this book. It was not what I expected, tbh.

Quests after
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
5 Golden Stars

97%

I couldn't spot even a tiny flaw through reading; things kept happening in every page! & I never got bored during reading this at all!

2nd favourite in this series!
& a quick read!

Magnus is Hilarious!

In case you're wondering, Old York looks absolutely nothing like New York.
It looks older.
Magnus Chase, master of description. You're welcome.

Magnus & Percy (don't forget Apollo!; generally any First-person version uncle Rick writes is awesome! even Sadie in the Kane Chronicles!) were
Romie
Am I okay? Or am I dying because of the feels? Am I reborn in Valhalla?
Those are all great questions.

I didn’t read this book, I inhaled it. Seriously. This book was read in less than a day, that’s simply how good it was. I couldn’t put it down, I NEEDED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.

I loved every single character in this book, and I think what I liked the most was knowing all the stories behind Mallory, T.J. and Gunderson, it was just so meaningful. Those three aren’t really present until this book
Brittany
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-read
An amazing ending to an amazing trilogy! I truly love how funny Riordan is able to make his books and I feel as though he’s found the perfect balance between teaching mythology, serious topics, and a healthy dose of humor!

The whole crew is so loveable and each has very distinct personalities. I love the group dynamic and I love how understanding they are to one another.

My favorite part of the magnus chase series had been actually learning Norse mythology. It’s one of the ones I’ve been least ex
may ➹
last night I almost started crying from worry over what that stupidly vague ending meant so things are going great
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

3.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

When Naglfar ― a ship made out of the fingernails and toenails of the dead, eek! ― sets sail, carrying hordes of giants and zombies warriors to fight the gods of Asgard, Ragnarok and a world-ending battle aren’t far behind. Ragnarok can’t be entirely avoided, unfortunately (it’s an inevitable prophecy), but perhaps it can be delayed for a while longer?

As the third and final book in Rick Riordan‘s MAGNUS CHASE AND THE GODS OF ASGARD
ambsreads
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS REVIEW AND OTHERS ARE ALSO ON MY BLOG

R A M B L E

First up, it feels so good to be writing a review. I haven’t finished a book in a while (about a week, actually) so writing this makes me so happy. Life just sucks at the moment, makes it difficult to make time for a book when you’re packing all your stuff and trying to find a house. But, hey, what can you do?

Okay, now fully into the ramble;

Some books you truly want to be longer than a trilogy. The story of Magnus Chase is one of them for me.
Hannah
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The good thing about Rick Riordan's books is that you always know what you get. They are light-hearted, funny, fast-paced, and just lovely to read. Having said that - I think he might be running out of steam here.

I will not even try to give a synopsis because, like all the books in the Percy Jackson universe before this, it's basically: group of demi-gods (or Einherjar) get send on a quest, they go from place A to place B - get attacked/meet a monster/get challenged - escape, go to place C - get
Jessica
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Magnus! You are the best!

I have been trying to decide what it is about these that I love so much. I have really, REALLY liked the Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus books, but I LOOOVE Magnus. And I realized that it's because Magnus is, well, such a sweetheart. He is a genuinely compassionate and just sweet guy, and I adore him for that. His first thought, in any situation, is how to take care of his friends. He knows he's not a good fighter, and he doesn't like fighting, so he's always
Camille ☼
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“You’re a strange person.”

“I prefer the term fabulously weird.”

4.5. I have to admit that I started this series already ready to rage about how it wasn’t as good as Percy Jackson because the Percy Jackson series is one that I hold particularly close to my heart. However, if after the first book I was positively surprised but not impressed, the rest of the series just got better and better and I can almost say I find this just as good as the other series.

This series stands out in how diverse and
Silvia
Not to be dramatic but I owe this trilogy my life

____
Full series review here!

The best way I can describe this series in one sentence is: a more diverse and woke version of Percy Jackson and if that doesn't want to make you read it then I don't know what will.
Jessica
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like all the books in this series, I really liked this. I think the best part of the series are the characters. I loved how his friends from the 19th floor had a bigger role in this book and had more character development. All of his friends are just so precious. I love them and want to protect each and every one of them.

Overall, this was a fantastic installment in the Magnus Chase series.

P.S. Alex is still my fav <3
Shruti
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
Dear Uncle Rick,

I refuse to accept that this series is a trilogy. So, when's the next book coming out, huh? Let me know. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Shruti.
Natalie Monroe
*I sit at a table lit by a single lamp, surrounded by two mental manifestations*

Cynical Natalie: Well, well, well. How the turn tables

Me: Um, yes. I realize it's been a while—

Cynical Natalie: A year

Nice Natalie: We don't know for certain it's been a year! We don't really keep track of these things

Cynical Natalie: Shut up, ass-kisser. You ignore us for an entire year, penning lackluster rushed reviews, all because you've been getting deeper into the dating game. And now you have the audacity to s
Saswati
✨ 🌟 5 'fabulously weird' stars 🌟 ✨
# 1 The Sword of Summer - 4.25 🌟
# 2 The Hammer of Thor - 4 🌟
# 3 The Ship of the Dead - 5 🌟

Ragnarok is almost here, and our heroes must find a way to stop it. This was hands down my favourite book of the series!
T
AttWaq
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All PJ fans
Shelves: 2k18-reads, favorites
Haha I really like Jack.
“Where's the gold?" I demanded. "Don't make me unleash my sword's playlist.”

Annabeth frowned. "Percy's sword is a she?"
Jack laughed. "Well, duh."
Percy studied Riptide, though I could've told him from experience it was almost impossible to tell a sword's gender by looking at it.
"I don't know," he said. "Are you sure -?"
"Percy,"
said Alex. "Respect the gender."
"Okay, fine,"
he said. "It's just kinda strange that I never knew."
"On the other hand,"
Annabeth said, "you didn
giska
Oct 08, 2016 marked it as to-read
We can finally see Percy xD

But we have to wait for another year:(
sally ✿
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading | October 11th, 2017:

I cried. I actually cried and I’m so embarrassed to admit that I cried because it honestly wasn’t even that sad. I’m just such an emotional trainwreck, and I don't know what is wrong with me.

BUT GOSH DARN IT THE FLYTING SCENE? AND THE OTHALA RUNE SCENE?

My heart was just hit with all of the feels and I couldn’t help myself.

This trilogy has been just
prag ♻
i can't believe because there's still no option for forever rick riordan trash when i'm filling out legal forms because that's the only constant in my life

all i want to do is paint 'i love samirah al-abbas and i love magnus chase and i love mallory keen and i love halfborn gunderson and i love TJ and i really, really love alex fierro' on a tshirt and wear it for about twenty four hours a day for the next three sixty five days

anyway, a big fuck you to 2016 me and everyone else who said rick is wr
Calista
I'm sad to be done with Rick's Norse books. These were wonderful. Rick's writing is so clear and he has such a deep understanding of mythology to be able to play with the gods the way he does. These are some of my favorite books as I love anything having to do with mythology. I also enjoy that Magnus is a healer. It's nice that he heals.

Also, I think Alex is one of the coolest characters in literature. I mean, it's so neat that he/she is allowed to flow back and forth on the gender spectrum. It'
Hadya
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars
My heart is happy

although there was one smol detail about islam and ramadhan that was wrong, but still

RTC
Taylor
“The world will end. The big picture cannot be changed. But in the meantime, as Loki once said, we can choose to alter the details. That’s how we take control of our destiny.”

...

The Ship of the Dead is the third and final book in the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy. I'm so unbelievably sad to say that. Truly, this series is so special, wonderful, funny, and heartwarming. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER. I DON'T WANT IT TO BE OVER.

*curls into a fetal position and cries*

Ah. The emotional tur
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow.... Rick Riordan strikes again with another outstanding adventure with Magnus Chase!

This book is a genuine gem and stuffed full of humour that I got some really odd looks from my hubby while giggling over it like a mad woman but you can't help but giggle at and fall a little in love with Magnus and his mental escapades.

Now, I haven't read the Percy Jackson books yet, yes I know it's my bad and I will read eventually, so I can't really say how these compare to those original Riordan adventure
Book review 1 5 Feb 09, 2020 07:46PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase #3) by Rick Riordan - Restarting March 12th 2019 55 133 Mar 12, 2019 09:32AM
Super Unsatisfied with Alex+Magnus relationship ending? 7 138 Mar 02, 2019 10:37AM
Not about the book, but a question. 1 13 Oct 11, 2018 06:34PM
rick riordan hearthstone and blitzen 2 21 Aug 05, 2018 06:20AM

• Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
  • The Bronze Key (Magisterium,  #3)
  • Comic Book for Blood of Olympus
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (3 books)
  • The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)
  • The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)

Articles featuring this book

For the past decade, the Goodreads Choice Awards have put the power in our readers' hands by letting them decide the best...
“I figured something out. You can't hold onto hate forever. It won't do a thing to the person you hate, but it'll poison you, sure enough.” 117 likes
“Sometimes you lie to deceive people. Sometimes you lie because you need the lie to become the truth.” 83 likes