Start by marking “Distorted Glass: A Snow Queen Story” as Want to Read:
Distorted Glass: A Snow Queen Story

Distorted Glass: A Snow Queen Story

Sixteen-year-old Jared is sure that this Christmas season is going to be the worst ever for his family. His fifteen-year-old sister, Amber, is scaring their whole family with how little she is eating and her obsession with winning a beauty pageant.

When Jared seeks help from his pastor, he comes up with a plan to help his sister by Christmas. As the days pass and he sees no
Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2015 by Sarah Holman

To ask other readers questions about Distorted Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Distorted Glass

Start your review of Distorted Glass: A Snow Queen Story
R.A.
This was really good!!!! :D

Amber - although she drove me a little bit crazy, I really felt sorry for her! (view spoiler)
Jared - he is a very nice brother!!! :)

When I got the email saying I won this giveaway, I honestly had forgotten I had even entered!! So yes, I was surprised! ;) I'm glad I was able to win and read this!
Faith
Wowsers. Yet another book this year that I could NOT go to bed without finishing. This short, inspirational story was SO good!!! And so sweet. :) I absolutely LOVED Jared. (I mean what girl doesn't want that amazing, great, sweet, caring of a brother?!?!?)
The themes of modesty, self-worth, and inner beauty really spoke to me and I thoroughly loved and enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a sweet, good, quick story. :-)
Jesseca Wheaton
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet, enjoyable story! It was a quick read, but there was nothing quick or trivial about the message of the book.
Also, I loved the older brother/younger sister relationship. Put something like that in a book and it's automatically my favorite. ;) It was a worthwhile read that I would wholeheartedly recommend!
Amanda Leite
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can I just say: this book desperately needed to be written. Thank you so much Sarah! I will say that this book does discuss the very heavy topic of eating disorders. It is from the perspective of 16 year old Jared that is watching his sister attempt to conform to society and become a “Snow Princess”. It is definitely a book I would recommend to all of my readers, and I hope you all get a chance to read it. Talking about eating disorders and how to deal with them in a Godly manner is something ...more
Deborah
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle

I really did enjoy this book, but I found it kind of boring and it didn't seem too real life to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it happens to some people, but I don't see any of this in my family.

A quick-read with good points of modesty and standing up for people and what you believe.
Victoria Goodbrand
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well written story (as always;)!!
Olivia
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow...there was so much in this short story. Modesty, unmerited love, speaking up for what is right, and making the right decisions. I'm impressed.

Jared isn't sure how to help his sister, Amber, who is obsessed with being thin for the beauty Christmas pageant. He seeks ways to help and encourage her. I like Jared's character...he reminded me of my brother.

Favorite quotes:

“Son, when you don’t view things in a proper way, your perception is in disorder."

"God offered the greatest and most
Rebekah Morris
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Though I'm not much for fairy tales or their retellings, I did enjoy this short story. It had a good message and was well told.
serena482*
My rating 3.5 stars.
A. Harrison
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Review:

My Favorite Character is Jared, who is a sweet older brother that I found to be kind, caring, and patient with his sister.

Thoughts: This is a short story with a big message for girls nowadays. In a way this story made me sad that girls often act like this, thinking that they have to look, act, be a certain way because of other people and what they think.

My Verse for this story: Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word
Raechel
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was such a fantastic and impacting little read. Truly inspiring. I love the godly truths and encouragement Miss Holman weaves through each of her books, novels and short stories alike. Absolutely God-glorifying. Though only seven chapters, this tale had me tearing up at the end and really ministered to me. The message of loving others even when it's hard and it changing us really meant a lot to me.
Jared's love for his sister was special, and I really appreciated the ending - read for
Bailey Marissa
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(4.8) First of all, bless Sarah Holman. If you join her e-mail list, she will actually tell you which of her books are discounted. I happened to get this for free, and as a college student, I am seriously thankful that she discounts/gives away her books on occasion.

This book is wonderful. It talks about morals and honoring God but it's not in an overbearing and holier-than-thou way. It's from the brother's POV, which is unique and wonderful. I's also relatively short.

Personally, I think that the
Claire Banschbach
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good little story about standing up for faith and modesty. I liked Jared's passion when it came down to helping his sister with her struggles. It had a nice message about loving someone for who they are and helping them see how beautiful they truly are. I enjoyed this story and definitely recommend!
Micaiah
A little story with a big message. Thank you so much, Sarah, for dedicating this to me!
Angie Thompson
I really, really liked the message and the characters in this story. I loved Jared's love for Amber and the fact that his desire to see her change was rooted in what was best for her, not what was easy or comfortable for him. I also liked seeing little glimpses of Amber's personality pop out in different places.

I've never read the original "Snow Queen" story, so I'm guessing that the parts that confused me would probably make more sense if I had. The bits with the antique store and the old lady
Esther
Distorted Glass was such a precious story! Every girl needs a big brother like Jared! I also appreciated seeing a guy take a stand for modesty and purity. :) The story was a little fast and had some typos near the end, but other than that it was wonderful! It had me near tears more than once. :)
Abigail
This was a such a sweet little story. I absolutely loved the nods to the fairytale.
As an older sibling myself, I understood Jared's heartbreak at his sister's hurting. The way he chose to love her is the truth of sibling relationships and I loved it.
There were a few typos and a few things about the writing style that kind of pulled me out of the story, but overall it was a nice quick little read.
Katieofsix
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Distorted Glass, I felt, was a well-crafted story that dealt honestly with some heavier subject matter. I was very impressed with the way Sarah crafted Jared's character (his personality and character development as a whole). He was written as a young man who genuinely wanted to please God and help his sister-- but he wasn't perfect-- the way he diligently sought God's will was done so fervently, but realistically, with it's hiccups along the way. Never once did I feel his character was too ...more
Caleb
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting read. I think that the author was able to successfully create a modern Snow Queen story. It was about a girl that was completely changing things about her life and her family thought that the decisions she was making were too rash to do all at once. They wanted to help her but she was not accepting their input at first, but she starts learning that her family is really trying to help.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice little story. I liked Jared; he would be a fun character to get to know better. I liked how he related and cared about his sister; I liked the message of giving love even before the other person "deserves" it.
Tarissa
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an enjoyable read, that packs a powerful punch in its message.

We find a teenage girl, who is dying to win a Christmas pageant -- and so attempts losing weight in a haphazard way. She's also diving right in to shedding the modesty her parents have instilled in her, to become "prettier" for the pageant. By way of unsound counsel, and being tempted by worldly titles, Amber is unraveling.

Although it's a quick story, it doesn't buzz by so fast that the reader can't help but notice the
Eliza Noel
Kaitlyn Krispense
Dec 14, 2018
Deborah O'Carroll
Dec 08, 2017

• When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions, #1)
  • Steampunk Fairy Tales: Volume II
  • Surrender the Heart (Surrender to Destiny, #1)
  • Her Counterfeit Husband
  • The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
  • An Unlikely Place for Love: The Disguises of Kate Tanner (Virginia Historicals #1)
  • Incomparable
  • A Honey of a Christmas (Honeyhaven, #2)
  • Unleashing Love
  • Return of the Aliens
  • Something's Wrong With Someone I Love
  • Organizing For Christian Hospitality
  • Nutcracker
  • The Yuletide Angel
  • A Reluctant Melody
  • An Ordinary Knight: A Fairy Cursed Fable (An Ordinary Knight, #1)
  • A Place in His Heart (The Southold Chronicles, #1)
  • Petticoat Detective (Undercover Ladies, #1)
Sarah Holman lives in central Texas with her amazing family. When not working on her next novel, she can usually be found hanging out with her siblings, reading, or taking long walks. If there is anything adventuresome about her life, it’s because she serves a God with a destiny bigger than anything she could have imagined. You can find out more about her at her website www.thedestinyofone.com
“She isn’t acting hurt, she is acting angry,” Jared said, feeling frustrated himself.
“I know, Jared, I know. Right now, she has a distorted view of herself and the world. The only way to effectively combat a lie is with the truth.”
3 likes
“As he left, he decided not to go back, as it was too easy to lose himself in there, as if the woman had cast a forgetful spell over the place.” 2 likes