Start by marking “La Folle de Maigret” as Want to Read:
La Folle de Maigret

La Folle de Maigret (Maigret #72)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  673 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
La police n'en finirait pas, si elle devait tout prendre au sA(c)rieux. Par exemple, les craintes de cette vieille dame, A l'A(c)vidence un peu dA(c)rangA(c)e, qui prA(c)tend Aatre suivie et ajoute que des objets bougent chez elle... Pourtant, LA(c)ontine de CaramA(c) est bel et bien retrouvA(c)e assassinA(c)e dans son appartement.
Maigret doit-il soupAonner AngA]le, qui ne
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published November 13th 1997 by Livre de Poche (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about La Folle de Maigret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Folle de Maigret

Astraea
کتابی جنایی پلیسی....شاید بشه گفت اولین کتابی بود که با این موضوع میخوندم. از نویسنده اش هم هیچ شناختی نداشتم و فقط خواستم یه نویسنده جدید رو امتحان کنم.
کتاب خوبی بود. گفته شده از داستانهای این نویسنده فیلمهای فرانسوی زیادی ساخته شده. مطمئنا فیلمهای موفق هستند....
ولی من بهش 3 میدم...فکر میکنم 3 کافیه!!!!
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-french
It has been decades since I've read a Simenon. For whatever reason, who knows it could have been a mention in something else I was reading or just a random thought out of the murky muck of my reader's brain, but I have recently developed an interest in Simenon. He has the reputation of a ladies man, a drinker, but a disciplined writer none the less. He wrote over 200 books, small books, but actually they are a nice size for my murder mystery fix.

I liked the relationship between Maigret and his w
Tony
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET AND THE MADWOMAN. (1970). ****. An old lady, very prim and proper, insists on seeing Inspector Maigret. She tells him that something wrong is going on at her apartment. Whenever she goes back to it after shopping or visiting the park, she notices things are just slightly out of place. She also thinks that she is being followed, but hasn’t ever seen anyone yet. Maigret puts her off with promises of coming by, but days go by before he decides to do so. On the day he was g ...more
Three
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
non è uno dei migliori.
poi, che la lista della spesa di Simenon sia molto migliore del capolavoro di tanti altri, è un altro discorso
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
An elderly woman screws up her courage and demands to see Maigret. Someone is getting into her flat when she's not there, and changing things around. No, nothing's been taken, though she has a considerable amount of money (for 1970) in a drawer. Someone's been following her in the street; no, she hasn't been able to identify them. Maigret and "les enfants" figure she's just another dotty old lady with a persecution complex.

Except she's not dotty, and in a day or two she turns up dead in her apar
Gaetano
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si poteva evitare questo omicidio? Forse per un po’ questo turba il sonno del nostro commissario.

Intuito, metodo investigativo e conoscenza dell’animo umano e delle sue debolezze porteranno alla soluzione del caso che sembrava irrisolvibile.

Dialoghi, personaggi e ambienti sempre ben descritti dall’artista Simenon.

Un bel racconto, per me velato da un po’ di malinconia… anche se la signora Maigret, oltre ad aiutare il marito, gli ricorda il loro primo bacio!
Debbie Robson
After enjoying Three Beds in Manhatten I was surprisingly disappointed with the famous inspector. There was simply no descriptions or characterisations throughout the novel. The only person described at any length was the victim and this was so unlike the New York novel that I am now intrigued and intend to read the first Maigret novel. Because of the series's reputation I expect it to be quite different.
Ryan
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having sampled one of Simenon's romans durs (The Engagement), I tried one of his Maigret mysteries. It's a police procedural that courts the literary fence with its gritty portrait of human motivations. Based on this novel alone, Inspector Maigret is a multi-layered character, without the foppish frills of a Monsieur Poirot. I would like to see more of Maigret on the page.
Simona Friuli
Trascinante, malgrado la vicenda venga raccontata in quel modo misurato, compunto ed essenziale caratteristico dei gialli di Simenon. Purtroppo il movente - e di conseguenza i colpevoli - mi era già chiaro da tempo; assenza di climax e di picchi emotivi.
Arleen Wolf
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Arleen by: I found it on a shelf in a grocery store in Livingstone, Zambia.
I've been collecting Inspector Maigret books for almost 40 years. They are my "comfort food"
reading. Simenon was the opposite of this stalwart, dependable, character. I can pick up any of the Maigret books and feel like I'm in the old Paris. Great to read while waiting for a plane.
Eric Knibbs
The plot, which is set up very well and quite creepy and intriguing, has a somewhat pedestrian and disappointing solution.
Mathew Walls
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's just the translation (by Eileen Ellenbogen), but the writing in this book is terrible. Just very plain and matter-of-fact, no personality. At times it was like reading a transcript rather than a novel. The actual story didn't seem much good either. It could have been fine if the characters had more life to them, but as it was it was just disappointing.
Sandro Pasquini
I romanzi di Simenon con protagonista Maigret sono una sicurezza.
Ne ho letti oltre 30 e mai una volta sono rimasto deluso.
In questo più che in altri mi sembra esca fuori il lato romantico e sentimentale del buon Maigret.
Arrivederci al prossimo romanzo....
Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Madwoman was first published in 1970 as La Folle de Maigret, and translated into English by Eileen Ellenbogen. This is quite a suspenseful Maigret story, even though it hinges only on the minor complaint of Madame Antoine, the Folle of the title, that someone unknown is entering her apartment and disarraying her possessions. Her complaints are not taken seriously by the police until she is murdered. Then Maigret must discover who, and why. Like all detective stories there are min ...more
Tom Donaghey
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, french
MAIGRET AND THE MADWOMAN by the late Georges Simenon is a typical Inspector Maigret mystery. It is simple yet complex. Other than the police there are only a few characters, but still the puzzle is baffling.
When an old woman who has been trying to see the inspector in his offices finally confronts him on the streets of Paris, he is loathe to take her seriously. But she does have remarkable eyes and a way about her that convinces him to see her at her apartment the next day. Her complaint is th
L'amaca di Euterpe
Lettura scorrevole per un caso che sembra irrisolvibile, ma che nasconde meschinità e povertà. Per fortuna Maigret sa dove prendere il filo giusto e come un mastino non molla la presa nemmeno per un secondo.
Quello che mi ha colpito di questo libro è il fondo di tenerezza fra i coniugi Maigret che è sempre presente nei racconti, ma che qui è ben descritto come se l'autore si fosse lasciato andare ai sentimenti.
E poi il senso di inadeguatezza del proprio ruolo di Maigret di fronte alle paure di un
Martina
I like Maigret books, they are nice and quick to read. I like the atmosphere of an "Old France", when telephone weren't common (not to mention mobile phones), and people went around on foot...
But, as far as the "mystery" part goes, I find it always a bit too easy: there aren't many characters, the plot isn't extremely complex. This book is exemplary in this regard: an old lady dies leaving only two relatives, a niece (who has a small criminal as a fiancé) and her son. It's not too hard to guess
Scilla
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old woman seeks out Chief Superintendent Maigret to tell him that someone has been searching her apartment when she was out and sometimes following her. Before he can visit her apartment, she is found dead. Maigret investigates her only living relatives, a niece and her son, and the niece’s lover, who is a small time crook and pimp. The only clue he finds in the apartment is some gun oil in the bedside table. With some psychological advice from his wife, Maigret solves the case.
Marti Martinson
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these novels. Yet, as an uncouth American, I still, after reading more than a few of these, can't shake the impression that Maigret could ONLY ever be European. The incessant smoking and lunch time drinking are quaint bygone customs. Don't think me a prude: I wish there was a LOT more sex in these novels. This one, of the ones I have read, did have some innuendo and the most free attitude toward sex.

Completely surprising ending! No way it could be guessed.
Donald Harwick
Pretty good read but slows at about the quarter mark picking up speed at the three quarter mark. A police procedural. It centers on inspector Maigret and the two main suspects in the murder of an old woman . The author separates paragraphs without identifying the speaker and runs the paragraphs of one speaker back-to-back-to-back. This was not the best effort I have read of Mr. Simeon's.
Mikee
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, mystery, simenon
Maigret is accosted by a little old woman. Very little. Very old. Someone has been in her apartment. Things are slightly out of place. "We'll come by and check it out … but not just yet". Until it's too late. The usual ensues. The crime. The detective work. The guilty one identified. And then the sweet little bit of Maigret's human-ness. A good one.
Eric Henderson
My first trip to Maigret-land. I read this book after I ran across the series as a pop-culture reference in Heather O'Neill's The Girl Who Was Saturday Night and realized I had one of the books on my shelf. It was a quick read, fairly standard police procedural sort of thing, with lots of references to people sleeping around, drinking and smoking. Plus, I really like the cover. Pretty cool.
Une vieille dame implore Maigret de la sauver d'un danger : les objets bougent chez elle, on la suit... Est-elle folle ? Elle n'en a pas l'air. Pourtant, Maigret se décide trop tard : la veille dame est étranglée dans son appartement. Meurtre sans préméditation, dû peut-être à la panique d'un voleur ?
John
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although there were only a few suspects and it was not too difficult to figure out what had happened, this was not a bad story.

As always, Simenon let you inside the mind of Maigret who must be the most human of detectives.

Three and a half stars would have been fairer.
NuNu
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining book for reading on a rainy day. This particular Maigret has a unique surprise at the end.
Gilbert Wesley Purdy
Maigret somehow manages to be a 3-star pleasure. I have the HBJ 1972 edition of the same translation.
Julie
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: 100 Favorite Mysteries of the 20th Century
Plain, just-the-facts writing, easy to read.
James
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
An entertaining, but fairly light mystery. The ending, and Maigret's treatment of the main suspect, gave it a surprisingly appropriate melancholy ending.
Nancy
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
Read by Andrew Sachs. An excellent reader. Good mystery series.
Corina
I found this book a little bit too predictable...anyway, the review is coming soon at http://corinnas-thoughts.blogspot.com :)
  • Acqua in bocca (Commissario Montalbano, #16.5)
  • Solea
  • The Problem of the Wire Cage (Dr. Gideon Fell, #11)
  • Sans feu ni lieu (Les Evangélistes, #3)
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos (Kostas Charitos, #4)
  • The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (Inspector Morse, #3)
  • Fer-de-Lance/The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #1-2)
  • Emma, Vol. 09
  • Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2)
  • Death in Springtime (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #3)
  • Comeback (Parker, #17)
  • Unforgivable
  • Woman in the Dark
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #6)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)