Start by marking “An Author's Odyssey” as Want to Read:
An Author's Odyssey

An Author's Odyssey

(The Land of Stories #5)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  15,271 ratings  ·  1,143 reviews
The fifth book in Chris Colfer's #1 New York Times bestselling series The Land of Stories!

In the highly anticipated continuation of the Land of Stories series, Conner learns that the only place to fight the Masked Man's literary army is inside his own short stories!

When the twins and their friends enter worlds crafted from Conner's imagination, finding allies no one else
Published July 12th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about An Author's Odyssey, please sign up.
Bob Most likely not. Someone said their would probably (and hopefully) be a sixth edition to the series. Lets keep our fingers crossed eh?

·  15,271 ratings  ·  1,143 reviews

TJ✨
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I love this series

What I thought

OMG this was amazing !!! It was full of action, adventure,LMAO moments and new memorable characters. Along with the characters we all know and love. At first when I heard they were going into Connors stories I was disappointed but I was so wrong Connors stories were awesome. I just loved how Conner and Alex's mom and step dad and the fairytale characters had to babysit Connors characters. That whole situation was just hilarious. Oh and Trol
HP Fan
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I just finished this book. It was awesome except for the ending... Dun, dun, dun.

Okay, so first of all: these books are amazing. I absolutely love the series and the way of writing is funny and imaginative. The plot is well thought and I am awed at what an incredible story this is.

Second, the characters seem to come to life in front of you and I can totally relate to some of them. Watching Alex and Connor grow up and growing up with them is a great gift. You won't want to put this series down
Remy Tallulah
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for this book to come out! The cliffhangers at the end of the books are so terrible everyone. Hass to wait a whole year for the next book! This is one of my favorite series ever!
Chelsea
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
I wouldn’t trust my rating for this book. I’m honestly not sure if this series has actually decreased in quality, or I have just outgrown them, all I know is that I didn’t enjoy this one like I enjoyed the rest of the books.

To be fair, I was having a lot of trouble remembering what happened in the previous book. I really just can’t wait a year in between books; I forget everything!

I remember really enjoying the first three books. They were funny, had a great premise, and felt magical. I just did
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I have thoroughly enjoyed the previous books in this series. So of course I was looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunately this series is no longer for me.

For the longest time I assumed that this would be the last book. When I heard it wasn't I had put off reading it for as long as I could. Eventually I picked it up and didn't like it. The plot was really boring. The writing style was off and really cheesy. And honestly I am so done with Alex and the constant abuse that
Adriana
WHAT? EEEEEEEEE!!! There is a 5th Book!? Please make a title and a cover fast, Chris Colfer! I cannot wait but, it is not going to come out until next year! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I have GOT to tell my fellow book geek,TLOS geek, and friend Sydney. She would be overjoyed
Fantastical Geek (Atarashii Sekai)
Best disappointment of my life. The most I can say without getting really mad, is that this book is trash, and Colfer clearly hasn't read much written by twelve year old children. He says that Conner's writing is amazing through other characters. It isn't. Conner simply writes the average trash of a twelve year old like I was at time. Still, my twelve year old friends clearly had better ideas.
Vernetta
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allen Central
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thing's first: WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE A CLIFFHANGER?! However, besides that, I thought this book really pulled me in. I didn't need a portal potion to feel like I was experiencing these adventures. This book teaches the symbolism hidden within an author's story and what makes it so important. It was also funny and comical, especially with one of Conner's typos (rosary chicken instead of rotisserie chicken).
William Gowling
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT! Fave of the series! In depth review soon!

Edit- why do my feelings keep changing about books? The more I think about it the more I'm starting to realise how much the quality dropped from book 4 to 5 to 6. Purely for the writing, I've had to drop thus to a four star. I liked it a lot, bit o recognise these books recently haven't been very well written...
Nolan Mitchell
Nate
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
michelle
I absolutely loved the first two books in this series, unfortunately, I have liked the later books less and less. I was completely intrigued by this one as they go into Conner's stories, but it didn't do much for me. What was so spectacular about the first two books was looking at the fairy tale world in a completely different light. The books have lost that magic. There are still moments of brilliance and insight, but over-all, it didn't wow me. I'm mailing this out to my daughter at sleep-away ...more
Olivia
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Omigod, omigod, omigod! Loooved loved looooooved it!!!!!
I thought this would be the last book in the series but I guess I was wrong :) (Not complaining in any way.)
I am just so in love with the characters and the world(just wished it would be more about the old characters than Conner's new ones).
TROLLBELLA'S SHOW OH MY FUCKING GOD! BEST PART OF THE WHOLE BOOK!
And as usual, all my love to my Queen Red!
Can't waaaait for the next book!!! (Yes, my terrible review is partly caused of lack of sleep)
Wassim Malek
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book five no way I need to read it. By the way your book 2 is my favorite.
Gwen Goeldner
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
omg that was funny. Red is honestly the best character in the book.
An Author's Odyssey is amusing, entertaining, and twisty. That ending went off with a bang. I cannot wait for the next one.
Tryg
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really amazing and full of adventure and intense storytelling by Chris Colfer. It is a book that keeps you reading it until the end like it did to me.

Everyone will want to read it. READ THIS BOOK and series which is also entirely amazing.
Kerri
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series. This was a very good installment, I love all the characters and am eager to see how it all wraps up in the final book.
Tarmia
This is the second to last installment in The Land of Stories series and was a welcomed installment at that. Colfer has a great ability to continue to create original and fun adventures even while using the recycled idea of fairy tale characters.
The added enjoyment of the main boy, Connor's, original characters from his own stories is really well done and Colfer is able to blend classic and new characters together without creating an awkward divide. He uses it to its best comic ability. This wo
Anna - Boktycke
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Oh, this one is just delightful! Just what I needed to recover from my reading slump. I thought this was the last book but there's going to be at least one more book so yay!

Review in Swedish at Boktycke.
Samantha
3.5 Not enough of the fairy tale world, Mother Goose or Red, and Connor's stories didn't interest me all that much. I can't wait until the next book when they get back to the fairy tale world, and the battle happens.
△⃒⃘Qamar Al Oqaily ⚯͛
4.5/5 stars !
OmG OmG ! I cant believe that ending wtf?? :||
LunaLovegood
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gina
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost skipped this one because I was bored with the last 2 but I'm glad I didn't. It was nice being in Connors stories
Al Anoud
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better.
Emmy
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meg McGregor
I think it is only fitting that the last book I read and review in 2017 is this fantastic book about stories!

This is such a wonderful series and I will really be sad when I have finished it, after I read the next book, the conclusion of the saga!

A quote that sums up this series to me, is as follows!

"With that said, I have a favor to ask of anyone reading this: Become a storyteller! Read to others the fairy tales in this book. Read them stories from another book. If you can, create your own stori
Thibaut Nicodème
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So…the usual first: I still really like Chris Colfer's writing. Well, specifically I like things about his writing that make the rest palatable. Yeah, his turns of phrase could use improvement (and especially variety), but the story behind it is pretty good and I am 100% in love with him his sense of humor.

This book builds up on the previous one's story (and (view spoiler)). Instead of c
Kristen
Okay...so I read this one hoping Colfer would redeem himself from the dismal Beyond the Kingdoms with the premise of Alex and Conner exploring Conner's original stories.

While I did enjoy this one a little more than the last installment, mostly because some of Conner's stories are cute, I have the same problems with it: too many characters, too many story lines, too many cheesy lines. The sheer number of characters was ridiculous in the last one--this one just adds more. Instead of allowing new c
Micah DeGraw
Connor has to find an army to fight the literary armies. So he goes into his own stories and gets the armies from the stories he wrote. He goes to Starbordia, a story of and all female pirate crew, The galaxy queen, a story about a cyborg queen that has a cyborg army and wants planets, The Ziblings, a story about four sibling with superpowers, and The Adventures of Blimp Boy, a story about a young archaeologist that wants to find a mummy army. Connor collects all of the armies he needs.

How to ha
Does anyone agree with me-I am so horrified about the end of the book- I loved it, but why did it have to end on a cliff-hanger? 4 13 Sep 15, 2018 02:29PM
NEED TO READ! 16 22 May 06, 2017 01:31AM
WHO ELSE IS SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK? 3 6 May 03, 2017 09:59AM
the land of stories book 5 2 9 Apr 10, 2016 08:52AM

• Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Die, Snow White! Die, Damn You!: A Very Grimm Tale
  • Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Story's End (Storybound, #2)
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • The Orphan (Seven Wonders, #2.5)
  • Island of Dragons (Unwanteds, #7)
  • Таня Гроттер и магический контрабас
  • Sword in the Stacks (The Ninja Librarians #2)
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Book of Beasts
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • The Rainbow Wand (Fairy Realm, #10)
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • Legacy of Secrets (Kingdom Keepers: The Return, #2)
Chris Colfer is an Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe-winning actor best-known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on the FOX television series "Glee".

He is also a New York Times bestselling author whose books include the first three novels in the "Land of Stories" series ("The Wishing Spell", "The Enchantress Returns" and "A Grimm Warning") as well as "Struck By Lightning: The Carson Philips Journal"

The Land of Stories (6 books)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
“No one ever stops being a student in the classroom of life” 9 likes
“The twins ran as fast as their legs could carry them. The Blissworm held on to Conner’s helmet like a jockey clutching the reins of a racehorse. It even slapped Conner’s bottom as if that would make him run faster. “Cut it out!” he said. “That hurts!” 4 likes