Start by marking “Esther's Gift (Lei Crime)” as Want to Read:
Esther's Gift (Lei Crime)

Esther's Gift

(The Lei Crime Universe)

In the days before hurricane Iniki hit the island of Kauai the forecasters predicted it would stay south of Hilo. But Esther Ka’awai, a psychic and gifted wise woman of the ancient culture has seen the future. She knows of the devastation that will come to the island. She has warned those she loves; now all she can do is pray.

As she struggles to accept this gift of knowi
Published November 23rd 2015 by Kindle Worlds

To ask other readers questions about Esther's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esther's Gift

Brenda
Esther Ka’awai had the gift of knowing – it wasn’t seeing into the future; it wasn’t events she saw pictures of – it was just an immediate knowing of a happening but not of an outcome; it was something she had had since she was a child. When Esther told her husband she knew the unpredicted storm would hit their island of Kauai, he believed her – she had proven her knowing was never wrong. But the people of the island did not believe her; after all it wasn’t forecast therefore it couldn’t be so…

A
sue
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is part of The Lei Crime series which different authors have taken a book to write to incorporate into this fascinating series.

Bette Lee Crosby does it in her usual style of intrigue, gentleness and compelling read.

This is jam packed with love, honor and intrigue, also belief.
And respect.

Esther has a gift. Not a gift of foresight like she can foretell the future, its more immediate than that.
Her husband accepted her gift and knew first hand how true Esther was.

Esther's gift was tested to a
Dianne
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a sweet tale of life, respect, love and second chances after heartbreak. When Esther married, the blush of youth and a beautiful future lay ahead on the tropical paradise of Hawaii. Esther is special, she is gifted with the ability to see the future and is careful never to abuse it, respecting its power. When a horrific hurricane plows through her island home, she has time to warn those she loves, but a foolish new resort owner ignores the warnings and both his dreams and ...more
Gail
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an Awesome Story! It grabs your attention from the very beginning and keeps you guessing all the way to the end of the story. I really hated to see it end. Very well written and a great addition to the Lei Crime Series books. The characters all work so well together and seem to come alive making you feel like you are right there in Hawaii with them. I loved every minute of it! A MUST READ!
Anima
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful story telling I've ever read. As a huge fan of the Lei Crime series, and the new Kindle World, I was eager to read this new book. Not exactly filled with crime and murder but yet filled with the wonderous stories of Hawaii and the faith Hawaiians put into them. Esther has a gift of knowing, the sense of danger or illness. The story begins with her fortelling of a huge storm which leads to the destruction of a village and a luxurious resort. John has purchased the land without ...more
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of Esther's Gift for an honest review and this is my review.
This novella was a beautifully written piece about second chances, finding love, saving those we love and strong ties to one's heritage. I loved the character of Esther and what a strong woman she was. I can't get into her too much because of spoilers but she is a very special character that as a reader you have no choice but to be drawn to. The character of John was the same way. I absolutely loved him as her male co
Cathy Ryan
4.5*

Esther describes her gift as ‘a knowing’. She doesn’t have visions or tell fortunes, it’s more the certain knowledge that something will happen. She can’t explain it but she always listens and pays attention to the warnings, although she never knows the outcome. The story is set on beautiful Kauai, one of the Hawaiian Islands where Esther lives with her husband of more than twenty years, Keoki.

When she dreams of the terrible storm heading their way Esther warns as many people as she can, al
Sheri
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Esther's Gift: The Lei Crime Series: (Kindle Worlds Novella) by Bette Lee Crosby

A hurricane Iniki is about to hit the island of Kauai, the weather reporters predicted it would stay south of Hilo. Esther Ka’awai, a psychic has seen the future. She has warned those she loves, she knows the devastation this will bring. Esther discovers that even the most wonderful gift can sometimes break your heart.

Esther accepts her "gift" but is not always happy to have it. For everything she sees is not always
Nenette
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a crime series, but this particular novella is not anything about crime...unless crime is defined another way. Not that I'm a crime fiction fan, and I actually wasn't disappointed. I never got disappointed with Bette's books.

The story is all about mature love; a love between two individuals who've "seen it all", happy and content where they were. It talks about embracing a culture and a people, respecting their beliefs and honoring their traditions. In a few pages, Bette was a
Annie McDonnell
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Bette Lee Crosby delivers a story that will grab you on the first page.
Esther has the gift of knowing things before they happen, like the hurricane coming to the island she lived on in Hawaii.
She meets a man named John who came to Hawaii after purchasing a local Resort. He meets Esther, and their lives are changed forever.
This book will prove that even though things fall apart…they can be rebuilt. Both your home and heart can come alive again where you thought it wouldn’t.
Bette Lee C
Mommysmoose
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and heartwarming addition to the Lei Crime Series. Bette adds so much love and mystery to a series that is already hard to put down. The story is about Esther and her wonderful gift of knowing. Not many people are believers of this strange yet magical gift. John is a hard working widower with strong family ties. The two form a friendship and bond that pulls John's family together through a heart wrenching ordeal. But, what Esther and John find in the end is the most magical g ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Esther's Gift: The Lei Crime Series.
Esther has a Psychic Gift she can see things that are about to happen. A Hurricane Iniki is about to hit the Island of Ka'awais Esther has warned those she loves, she knows the destruction the Hurricaine will bring. She discovers that even though this gift is wonderful at times it can break her heart. But sometimes you get a second chance at love. A heart warming story. An original plot the story moves at a fast pace. Esther is a likable character. A blend of
Cathleen
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Esther's Gift' is a truly remarkable story about 2 people from different cultures who discover friendship, acceptance and another chance at true love.

This story touched my heart in so many ways and will stay with me for a long time. I find myself thinking about it at odd moments and I feel privilege to have had another opportunity to enjoy a Bette Lee Crosby story.

I look forward to more.
Deborah Blanchard
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another novella in the Lei crime series, this time written by the amazing Bette Lee Crosby. This is short and yet mesmerizing read. It encapsulates love, honor and tradition in a smooth and transitional way. The characters are well developed for a novella and the story flows effortlessly. I highly recommend this one. You will love it!
EFinn1
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Lee has written a well-crafted addition to the Lei Crime series. Esther Ka’awai is a woman with the heavy responsibility of the gift of knowing. Her gift can bring joy or heartbreak; it may even save lives. This story is a beautiful as the island it is set on, as powerful as the hurricane that changes Esther’s life and as rich as the culture the story is based in.
Sue
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like all of Crosby's work this is wonderfully written. Her characters are amazing and Esther's "knowing" is both life-saving and troubling. I felt like she could have put a little more into the story itself, there was almost too much backstory for my personal taste.
Dick Whittington
Shelves: rated-5-stars, 2015
Outstanding! It has everything I want in a book...excellent writing, great characters, believable relationships, terrific story and strong emotional appeals...all of this in less than 100 pages. And it leaves you wanting more, more, more. Read It...Or Miss Something Special.

Ana Popielnicki
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story, full of wisdom and love and kindness! Loved the characters, particularly Esther. A moving book delivered by Bette as usual!!
Amy
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Esther's Gift is a fabulous novella. It is only about 80 pages long and took no time to read - time well spent!
Highly recommended.
5 stars.
BJ
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku, reviewed, tobyemily
Esther Ka’awai has become well-known on Kauai for her special insight into things that will happen, both in people’s lives and on the land. She becomes a beloved teacher of all things Hawaiian and delights in enlightening both the little ‘keiki’ and the grown-ups. However, when it comes to her own personal future, her ‘gift’ doesn’t seem to cooperate! Delightful story, a story of love, loss, local cultural traditions. You will truly enjoy this one!
Brandy
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jeanie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘Esther’ is a fascinating story set almost entirely on the island of Kauai in Hawaii, following the life of a woman named Esther for much of her adult life. One could say it is a romance and be correct, but it is much more, a story of the kind of love that a woman has not only for her husband and family but also for those around her, the kind of beautiful love that risks a friendship to tell a truth that is much too important to keep to one’s self.

When we first meet Esther, we are introduced to
Sherry Fundin
Esther’s Gift by Bette Lee Crosby is a heartwarming and uplifting novella that shows our ability to rise above our hardships and come out shining. The only thing that is different from her Southern fiction is the Hawaiian locale.

Esther has a gift…visions of what is to come.

She tries to warn the people of the coming hurricane, but most don’t take heed.

Ka’awai and its people are devastated by Iniki.

Life goes on, but not always they way we had planned. Humans have an amazing ability to adjust and a
Anna Tan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy, e-books
This is a cute little novella (novella? Longer short story?) that I picked up because:
a) Bette Lee Crosby offered it and
b) it's set in Toby Neal's Lei Crime series world.

I made the mistake of thinking that it might also be a murder mystery in Hawaii, but although it's set in Hawaii and someone dies (well, a few people die), it's not a murder or a mystery. Okay, fair enough - the blurb does tell it as it is: "Esther Ka'awai, a psychic and gifted wise woman of the ancient culture has seen the f
Susan (The Book Bag)
Esther's Gift is a beautiful story set in a beautiful place, an island in Hawaii. The story starts with Esther's dream, her 'knowing' that a terrible storm is coming. Her husband, Keiki knows to trust her instincts and they prepare for the worst. I immediately felt the love that Esther and Keiki had for each other and I could feel the gentleness and caring that Esther had for those around her.

'This knowing is a gift that Esther can neither explain nor wish away. It simply is what it is, but she
Cathy
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Esthers Gift
I received this novella from the author in return for my review. I loved it! I was drawn in immediately. Esther lives in Hawaii and has a knowing. A gift for knowing something before it happens. She knows about the devastating hurricane days before it happens and is able to prepare for it.
Years later a man named John from the mainland purchases a resort that had been destroyed by that hurricane and he meets Esther. They become friends as she teaches him about Hawaiian customs and fo
Martha
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have not read any of the Lei Crime books except this one, but have been a fan of Bette Lee Crosby for a while now. Her books are so interesting, whenever I start a new one I don't want to put it down, this one was no exception.
Esther lives in Hawaii and has a "gift" of knowing what will happen in the future. She meets John who moves to Hawaii and they become friends. He is a grandfather and had promised his deceased wife to get to know his grandson better. John has the opportunity to take him
Becky
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of faith, love and the life a native woman from Hawaii who has a special gift of knowing. She has seen love, tragedy and forgiveness. It is a touching story in the life of Esther Ka’awai. It takes her from the great storm that hits the island, her love and life with her husband until his death, and then coming to meet John who comes to Hawaii to rebuild the resort that was destroyed after the storm. John's wife passed away and he needs to find something more substantial to do w ...more
Bernadette
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Esther's Gift takes you to Hawaii and it gives your emotions and senses a tingle. It is a story of a women who "knows"things before they happen.How some will heed her warnings or the truth she tells and some just won't. The bonds ,stories,Hawaiian traditions, heartache and love are throughout this book. It has normal life ups and downs... the way you handle it makes all the difference. It is an easy quick read. Of course I want more and definitely recommend to anyone wanting a book to read.You w ...more
Cindy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dbba, 2016
Esther's Gift was the first book that I have read in the Lei Crime Series. And being a huge fan of Bette Lee Crosby, I knew it would be a heart warming novella. And once again, she does not disappoint!

I loved the setting in Hawaii. The author has such a descriptive way with words, you will feel as if you are there. The three main characters were wonderful and realistic. There are a few conflicts in the story and you will worry that everything will work out.

There is a magical feel to the story a
USA Today Bestselling and Award-winning novelist Bette Lee Crosby's books are "Well-crafted storytelling populated by memorable characters caught up in equally memorable circumstances." - Midwest Book Review

The Seattle Post Intelligencer says Crosby's writing is, "A quirky mix of Southern flair, serious thoughts about important things in life and madcap adventures."

Samantha from Reader's Favorite

The Lei Crime Universe (1 - 10 of 92 books)
  • A Snake in Paradise (Lei Crime)
  • Fireweed Trail (Lei Crime)
  • Saddle Road (Lei Crime)
  • Narco Orphans (Lei Crime)
  • Kapu (Lei Crime)
  • Hoaka Moonshine (Lei Crime)
  • Seal of a Monk (Lei Crime)
  • Torn Roots (Lei Crime)
  • Paradise Down  (C'Mon Inn #1)
  • Soga's Second Chance (Lei Crime)