Start by marking “The Forest” as Want to Read:
The Forest

The Forest

On an Earth with titanic forests instead of oceans, highly-trained rangers brave the depths to bring back footage of treacherous landscapes and ferocious beasts. It’s a dangerous job, but it has its moments: when a trio of ranger recruits stumble across a strange artifact, they begin to unravel a mystery with planet-spanning ramifications. The only problem is, if they’re g ...more
Published November 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forest

Catherine Tsai
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I had so much fun reading this. The tone of the book is the perfect, unexpected mix of dark and whimsical, and the dreamscape of The Forest involves some seriously delicious imagery. Like, The Forest has pretty much everything you might want in a sci-fi novel: literally lush descriptions, a plot jam-packed with action and overgrown monsters, lovable and often exaggerated (and diverse!! strong women!! PoC!!) characters, plus writing that exhibits such playfulness and downright irreverence at time ...more
Dominic
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
There are so many things wrong with this book, I'm not even sure where to start. The Forest is a great concept for a book, set in a world where the oceans are replaced by giant forests, occupied by enormous, carnivorous creatures. It follows the story of a forest ranger who needs to go on expeditions into the forest.

However, Justin Groot failed miserably at making this any good, and I had to force myself to finish. The whole book reads like it's just a first draft that the author thought was "g
Mark
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick entertaining sci-fi read
Leticia
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Visit me at: Shh I Am Reading for more reviews.

This story has such great potential but it unfortunately fell flat for me. It needs some refinement, such as world building and some major character development.

One would assume that the containment of these monstrous creatures would be the forefront. Animals migrate. As our fossils and current animal migrations, they go where food and water are. I cannot see these animals and in
Colin
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not nearly ready for publication. The whole world is only given surface-level thought without any of the WHYs that make sci-fi/fantasy engaging. It's a smattering of ideas without applying rigorous thought to repercussions and reasons and differences.

As a result, none of the foundational details make sense. Why are the Rangers are so poorly equipped and so highly paid for a job with no compelling reason; why are there "coastal cities" with an impassable, dangerous, and not remotely forest as the
Rob Cook
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The idea is pretty cool and I thought the writing was decent. It's a bit heavy on action scene descriptions and maybe a bit light on character development but it's a quick read and I'm glad I read it. By the end of the book I was engaged enough that I wanted to see how it was going to turn out and then .... it ended. I hope there is a follow-up.
Jay Kent
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this really hard to get through. The lack of paragraphs is a giant concerns and I found myself backtracking to find where the characters came from one location or time to another. There’s a lack of description which I find doesn’t help with my experience with the book, and I found everything happens far too quickly, characters having somewhat impactful deaths in universe but hardly anything was built upon them for me to care.
After some advice I had to drop the book and find something els
Kurt
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It's fast to read - only a couple of hours - and reads like someone is speaking it to you.

But it has some serious issues; it's a first draft, no detail or thought out ideas.

Jokes on us as it's a self published novella. It's a good study in what it takes to be an author because there's so much missing though. Tough for me to point out that I didn't hate it, just gave me an appreciation for good writing.
Jack McGowan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The first third of the book feels far too fast paced for its own good, and comes off as amateur as a result. Going forward the author finds a rhythm that works, but is still held back by the way the book was written-- being posted chapter-by-chapter on Reddit.
The idea is there, and the characters have room to be improved, so I'm looking forward to reading the follow-up "Pale Green Dot".
Liesha
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The idea behind the story was amazing but Groot is a first time author and it reads like that. He's got a lot of potential.
Charles Finklea
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wonderful premise, amateur writing/execution.
Marc
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book

Justin Groot shows a great and direct writing style. Great book with an very very open ending. Absolute recommendation for everyone.
JP
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Forest came out of /r/WritingPrompts:

[WP] Instead of Oceans, they are all big forests, that gets taller and darker instead of deeper, with more dangerous animals living further out in the forest. A person decides to cross the Mariana Trench

It's rough, fairly obviously an author's early work and could probably be cleaned up somewhat by an editor. There are entirely too many scenes of non-stop action, running from one overly giant bug to another, trying and fighting to stay alive.

But at the s
Tyler
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Awesome novel, the premise was extremely interesting and the characters fascinating. The book would have been perfect as a standalone novel, except for one small mystery that wasn't addressed. A sequel would be great, but even by itself the book has given me enough to think about to be completely satisfied.
Sandra
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Good concept, poor execution. The book itself reads more like a rough outline than a finished work. That being said, it was a self-published work by an author who initially began the novel inspired by a prompt from /r/WritingPrompts, so the fact that he managed to pull an entire book out of it was a feat in itself.
Cole
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Entertaining read based on an interesting premise. There are issues that one might expect in an author's debut novel--the pacing in particular could be better--but it left me excited for Groot's next book.
Benjamin Dziennik
2.6 ⭐

I actually read this book recently, and I did finish it. I was around for the original r/WritingPrompts response, and I think it functioned much better as a short story. I can't remember anything about this book at all.

Uhhh... I liked it?
Matt
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Weird in between of a short story and a novel. Really cool idea, pretty straight forward. Cheesy dialogue but worth the quick read.
Matthewsron
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Neat concept.
Hannah
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Would read more

One of the best kindle books I've read - good premise, good writing. Would love to read a sequel to this.
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well written, interesting premise, and good plot development. An overall great book with a very promising sequel.
Sandy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent storytelling. Intriguing story. Really excited for the sequel!
Justin Groot
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For some reason this book seemed really familiar
Matthew Whalen
Ryan
rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blood Binds the Pack (The Ghost Wolves, #2)
  • Mercury Retrograde (Dark Alchemy, #2)
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • Rise Again Below Zero (Rise Again, #2)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Do Not Resuscitate
  • Half Life (Russell's Attic #2)
  • Shivering World
  • 1968
  • Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death, #1)
  • Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett, #2)
  • War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1)
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • Witch Hill
  • Adrift on the Sea of Rains
  • A Stillness of Chimes
  • Harrowing the Dragon
“Some people just aren’t cut out for the high-octane world of competitive rock-paper-scissors,” 1 likes